Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Holy poo poo the demon prince was intense. I love it. I managed to survive the dive bomb scrape that one shots all the other phantoms and hosts. I had one hit left and he had one hit left and I managed to dodge it I was sweating bullets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
In POSITIVE news, I did manage to be the final story boss of the DLC and that was a great fight. Hard as balls but didn't feel unfair. My only complaint with it is that in Phase 3, suddenly he's whipping capes, shooting lightning, flying around, and I couldn't keep track of what the gently caress was happening half the time. Lucky, it seemed more showy than effective.

I really REALLY like the design of the Ringed City and the final... area thing. It's suitably soulsy going from an interconnected hellcity to the ashy wasteland where you can see weird structures rotting in the distance but you can't get there and why would you... everything's dead.

The lore implications are just tantalizing enough to ponder but unrevealed enough to bother me that we'll never know. Where did the Gael fight take place? It looked like some sort of old throne room. Was that just kind of a generic throne room of the last pygmy lords? Something about the time shift way forward to the last of the dying pygmy lords is really creepy. Like, you get the feeling a LOT of poo poo happened that no one will ever know. I like that about this series.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
BOOYA solo killed the scaly bastard.

That's a fun fight. I *think* I like Sinh a little more, and neither is as damned good as Kalameet, but I really like the flow to the fight once you figure out the key is entirely in baiting him properly (and even then, it took all my Estus)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So what spells, tools, or weapons other than warmth can be used to aid an invader when you're a summon?

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I think the talismans work and dung pies?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I despise these jailers still.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Internet Kraken posted:

So what spells, tools, or weapons other than warmth can be used to aid an invader when you're a summon?

Depending on how you use it, a well-placed Pestilent Mercury seems like it could be devastating. You're not directly helping the invader, but you definitely can make the host's life harder.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So overall, this DLC is pretty excellent. I am a bit surprised that there's a slight negative vibe to some of the commentary on it, but I think DS3 has always suffered from people not knowing what the hell they want out of Souls and this DLC is no exception.

The level design is phenomenal. I'd say the Ringed City itself is on par with the Fishing Hamlet in terms of level design, and I love that it feels appropriately lengthy. The Painted World *feels* small, it feels cramped, and it's got so few truly interesting or memorable encounters, to say nothing of its largely exhausting and unbalanced boss fights. The Ringed City, meanwhile, feels like a Greatest Hits collection of Souls.

If DS3 is Souls reflecting back on itself, then this DLC is a combination ultra-hard remix and also one final hurrah of brilliance. The Ringed City's progression, from its daunting introduction to the descent into one final, wonderful and now trademark setting and then culminating in a celebration of the Souls series three biggest trademarks: dragons, online co-op and PvP, and intense, dramatic, emotional combat encounters.

It feels right. Souls could never own up to its own legend. The memory of the original Dark Souls has already become so corrupted by its own legend you'd scarcely recognize it if you knew it only by the hype. In years to come, I wonder if the game will only be further consumed by its own reputation, though I think the series will finally settle and the fanbase will come to some quiet consensus. But I'm glad they didn't try to make some big flashy finale to the game. The game's ending, as is, is great. I consider the Firekeeper ending to be the "true" ending, and I certainly believe it contains the overall statement that Miyazaki wanted to make, and the DLC doesn't contradict nor really impede with that message.

The conclusion to the Lapp sidequest contains what I consider to be a personal message from the game's creator to the player, and I consider that to really be the final say of the matter. So long as you wish to greedily enjoy your Dark Souls, and these endless, pointless, vicious cycles of death and death and more death, then you are welcome. In the end, eventually, the servers will go down, and the game will go silent, and dark, and only flickering embers, developer messages and NPC phantoms, will remain, to remind you that once this was a glorious place, a hall of heroes, villains, monsters and men.

Dark Souls is ended, and it concludes with a perfect example of all of its best level design. It provides some solid, straight forward boss fights that prove challenging but also satisfying to learn. DS3 had a lot of gimmick fights, and it saves much of its straight combat for its last half, and while this DLC does not change that, it does provide more of what people want the most. I honestly don't know if I even have any sincere criticism of this DLC--compared to Ariandel it's a massive improvement, and compared to Old Hunters it's just not quite as polished or jam-packed. For my buck it is on par with Artorias of the Abyss, possibly slightly weaker, but only because AotA adds so much value to the original Dark Souls, to the point of being downright essential.

8-Bit Scholar fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Mar 31, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Time_pants posted:

Depending on how you use it, a well-placed Pestilent Mercury seems like it could be devastating. You're not directly helping the invader, but you definitely can make the host's life harder.

I'm pretty sure pestilent mercury only harms the caster and not allies.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So, the returning enemy in the DLC, the Dragonslayer Armor doesn't have anything good on it, right? I don't really care about heavy armor.

e: I was right. It's just that enemy's armor. Lame.

Bogart fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Mar 31, 2017

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Both DLCs are really good about adding interesting weapons, even if AoA is lacking in most other areas

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I'm waiting hours between Spear summons now. For when this covenant is gonna be most active this is pretty disappointing.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Demon kinda feels like a Bloodborne fight, minus the whole second phase bit when things heat up a 'lil. Probably just the thrashing claws.

A Good Fight.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

8-Bit Scholar posted:

So overall, this DLC is pretty excellent. I am a bit surprised that there's a slight negative vibe to some of the commentary on it, but I think DS3 has always suffered from people not knowing what the hell they want out of Souls and this DLC is no exception.

The level design is phenomenal. I'd say the Ringed City itself is on par with the Fishing Hamlet in terms of level design, and I love that it feels appropriately lengthy. The Painted World *feels* small, it feels cramped, and it's got so few truly interesting or memorable encounters, to say nothing of its largely exhausting and unbalanced boss fights. The Ringed City, meanwhile, feels like a Greatest Hits collection of Souls.

If DS3 is Souls reflecting back on itself, then this DLC is a combination ultra-hard remix and also one final hurrah of brilliance. The Ringed City's progression, from its daunting introduction to the descent into one final, wonderful and now trademark setting and then culminating in a celebration of the Souls series three biggest trademarks: dragons, online co-op and PvP, and intense, dramatic, emotional combat encounters.

It feels right. Souls could never own up to its own legend. The memory of the original Dark Souls has already become so corrupted by its own legend you'd scarcely recognize it if you knew it only by the hype. In years to come, I wonder if the game will only be further consumed by its own reputation, though I think the series will finally settle and the fanbase will come to some quiet consensus. But I'm glad they didn't try to make some big flashy finale to the game. The game's ending, as is, is great. I consider the Firekeeper ending to be the "true" ending, and I certainly believe it contains the overall statement that Miyazaki wanted to make, and the DLC doesn't contradict nor really impede with that message.

The conclusion to the Lapp sidequest contains what I consider to be a personal message from the game's creator to the player, and I consider that to really be the final say of the matter. So long as you wish to greedily enjoy your Dark Souls, and these endless, pointless, vicious cycles of death and death and more death, then you are welcome. In the end, eventually, the servers will go down, and the game will go silent, and dark, and only flickering embers, developer messages and NPC phantoms, will remain, to remind you that once this was a glorious place, a hall of heroes, villains, monsters and men.

Dark Souls is ended, and it concludes with a perfect example of all of its best level design. It provides some solid, straight forward boss fights that prove challenging but also satisfying to learn. DS3 had a lot of gimmick fights, and it saves much of its straight combat for its last half, and while this DLC does not change that, it does provide more of what people want the most. I honestly don't know if I even have any sincere criticism of this DLC--compared to Ariandel it's a massive improvement, and compared to Old Hunters it's just not quite as polished or jam-packed. For my buck it is on par with Artorias of the Abyss, possibly slightly weaker, but only because AotA adds so much value to the original Dark Souls, to the point of being downright essential.

I entirely agree with this.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
A guy invaded and he turned completely invisible. Which is a shame because we were both fighting using the door greatshields and then I started wildly flailing everywhere until he got bored and left. :iiam:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm waiting hours between Spear summons now. For when this covenant is gonna be most active this is pretty disappointing.

It's probably due to a glut of spears. I doubt they have like, an actual queue. Pray the RNG favors you.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Elman posted:

Was this NG or NG+? I'm lvl121 in NG on PC and I barely get summons.

It was on NG, but admittedly it was right after launch so probably at the peak of DLC participation :(

Fuligin posted:

The bosses in DS3 are mechanically (and generally visually) very solid to very great, but imo they kind of suffer from all being Artorias style 1v1 melee dudes that all end up playing out the same: carefully dodge multiple hit combo, get in a few attacks, reserve enough stamina to roll out of the counter, rinse and repeat. I'm exaggerating obviously, but not by very much.

To me, that's the bread and butter of Dark Souls. It's the most fun part! I've never enjoyed multi-boss fights (too messy, usually lovely) and bigger and/or non-human fights always end up either being gimmick fights or "Camera Control: The Boss". Also doesn't "roll, attack, reserve stamina" literally describe the entirety of Souls combat? Not trying to be snarky.

All the best fights in the series (to me); Artorias, Fume Knight, Ivory King, Pontiff Sulyvahn, Champion Gundyr, Nameless King and now Slaveknight Gael are all 1v1's, but they're each very memorable, have very distinctive movesets, timings, etc. and most importantly, are both the hardest and most fair fights. They're pure execution, which is what's so thrilling about them.

I still wouldn't want the game to be all about those fights though, that would be exhausting. Some of the non-human or multi-boss fights are amazing for the "whoa :stare:" factor on a first playthrough, like the Curse-rotted Greatwood, Wolnir, Gaping Dragon or The Duke's Dear Freja... but they're not the fights I want to do again and again. I don't start a new playthrough and go "oh boy I can't wait until I get to Wolnir". This is all personal opinion of course, and the franchise is over anyway now so it's not like any of this matters :v:

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Internet Kraken posted:

i don't think it helps that technically it's kind of way more limited in scope than the old monk fight in demons souls, so you're going to be dealing with an influx of people all standing around and wanting to be summoned for boss fights that just might not be happening enough to satisfy whoever is there (since it's all restricted to a specific covenant)

the old monk stuff was fun mostly because it was a bit more laid back about it and most anyone could be pulled in

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

You can always reset the boss and do that but yeah... it's not quite as fun as being the boss. :(

Speaking of which, doing that seems to make you eligible for invasions in the Ringed City area again, sorta like popping an ascetic in DS2. Which means this place will probably become the de facto zone for invasions and invasion gank squads, I guess?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
e: nevermind, I'm dumb and didn't realize i needed to join the covenant to respec

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

I think you have to join the covenant?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Minrad posted:

I think you have to join the covenant?

Yeah I googled some more and realized this like two minutes later. :downs:

Thanks, though.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Fighting the boss again is a cool feature but I wish they'd made a reward for it other than souls and the covenant item. People don't have any incentive to fight it again if they don't care about the covenant, and the covenant rewards only matter for that fight so people aren't gonna need to grind it out. Also it'd be nice if you revived the boss at the altar right next to it rather than the monument on the other side of the city.

Its cool but it really needs some adjustments it won't get. I guess I should be thankful its even in the game though given how much things are slanted against invaders this time around.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Both DLCs are really good about adding interesting weapons, even if AoA is lacking in most other areas

None of the games have rewarded my love of Dex weapons like DS1, but the Crow Claws and Rapier really do make me want to invest in a character themed around them. I think you could even put together a crow-themed fashion souls.

Also I just loving WRECKED the Soul of Cinder now. Level 107, after spending a whole day taking down that giant dragon it felt so easy to dodge his attacks. My Claymore does so much damage now. It's so good. This is how the game was meant to be played. I think this is actually my first time killing him solo, the other two times had players or Yuria.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Internet Kraken posted:

Fighting the boss again is a cool feature but I wish they'd made a reward for it other than souls and the covenant item. People don't have any incentive to fight it again if they don't care about the covenant, and the covenant rewards only matter for that fight so people aren't gonna need to grind it out. Also it'd be nice if you revived the boss at the altar right next to it rather than the monument on the other side of the city.

Its cool but it really needs some adjustments it won't get. I guess I should be thankful its even in the game though given how much things are slanted against invaders this time around.

It would have been nice if they'd given you a way to revive any boss and get their souls again to save you a trip to NG+.

Anyway, if anyone knows, what's the best buff overall for extra damage? I'm at the point in my build where I could probably go in for either INT or Faith as needed. I kind of wanted to go Dark but according to the wiki it's weak and the catalyst doesn't increase the buff damage? It looks like someone went through the wiki and cleaned out all of the technical details really because now there's almost no actual information on any of this poo poo.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

People say this mercury spell is good against Midir, but I don't get it. When you cast it the mist appears like two feet in front of you, and midir moves around like crazy.

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I just experienced the DLC license bug while fighting Darkeater Midir. :shepface:

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
The balance on the spear fight is completely out of whack. Ok, more HP in exchange for no healing is fine, but the way they do defense scaling means that if you have heavy armor, not only are you essentially not staggerable by anything, but you also take gently caress-all damage. Whereas anyone who goes in with lighter armor can and will be staggered and mulched like a normal player and the increased HP absolutely won't compensate enough. On top of this, they give the spear an endless clown car of obnoxious, remarkably difficult to stagger, meat wall monks that do respectable damage, dodge like an acrobat on meth, and spam AoE heals. The special items and such are fine though, I have no issues with those. Just the wonky scaling and monk clown car.

It's like they decided to ask themselves "how do we take the old monk fight and make it really, REALLY stupid and lopsided in one direction or the other?"

Edit: The Spears and the general lack of resolution on several plot threads that I felt were at least moderately important are really my only points of contention with the DLC though. Unlike a lot of folks, I enjoyed the dragon fight, but I think it's a really variable amount of misery depending on your weapon of choice, RIP pyromancers and anyone who lacks some sort of overhead swing.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Mar 31, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

to be fair, the old monk had people that ran away from you and tried to let the homing soul arrows kill you for them. they spawned infinitely and didn't require you to cast them, so you could just run away for ages until dying (and you probably would. it's not threatening but it is pretty good at wasting someone's time)

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

None of the games have rewarded my love of Dex weapons like DS1, but the Crow Claws and Rapier really do make me want to invest in a character themed around them. I think you could even put together a crow-themed fashion souls.

I did that for one of my gimmick runs! :3:

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

to be fair, the old monk had people that ran away from you and tried to let the homing soul arrows kill you for them. they spawned infinitely and didn't require you to cast them, so you could just run away for ages until dying (and you probably would. it's not threatening but it is pretty good at wasting someone's time)

with old monk you were basically better off just dying to the summoned guy since they were there to just get the hat usually. the fight could literally take hours since grass munching made people immortal. afterwards you could just get the NPC version and itd be a cakewalk.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Whats the best way to run the lotheric knight greatsword?

I am presently running a 40/40 quality build and have it infused with a refined gem, i slap lightening resin on it for all tough fights and it works well

is it better using a heavy gem on a str/faith build and using the lightening weapon miracle with the new patch? What chime/talisman is best for that?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Manatee Cannon posted:

Not like you couldn't do this in DS3. Put on a blood ring, get under 30%, do nothing but roll. You'll be impossible to kill if that's all you do. Of course you won't kill them but you'll definitely succeed in pissing them off.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
how to infuse the weapon depends on how you want to play. for a poise build str/vit is ideal so infusing with heavy is better. if you dont care about having super high poise then quality is better with str/dex for maximum damage. for str/faith i guess heavy is best if you also want to buff it.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

Not like you couldn't do this in DS3. Put on a blood ring, get under 30%, do nothing but roll. You'll be impossible to kill if that's all you do. Of course you won't kill them but you'll definitely succeed in pissing them off.

you could if you used the thorn armor

someone tried that on me once I think

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Your Computer posted:

I did that for one of my gimmick runs! :3:

How was it? I feel pretty confident I could get the Claws by sheer derring do and running past all enemy encountrs at a low level, but are they actually useful in PvE?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

8-Bit Scholar posted:

How was it? I feel pretty confident I could get the Claws by sheer derring do and running past all enemy encountrs at a low level, but are they actually useful in PvE?

Getting the claws is no problem, I rushed there ASAP (kill Vordt, run to Crucifixion Woods, kill Crystal Sage, run to Cleansing Chapel, enter the DLC and run to claws). As for using them, they're pretty great! They have the same problems as every other paired dex weapon in the game though, some enemies will be a pain since you can't block and can't poise through.

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Beat Midir. I actually really like the fight now, just the assumption that it's even worth hitting the back ruins it.

What level are people getting action for for spears? I'm at 102 and I got 3 in a row and then a whole lotta nothin.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Is there any general consensus on what DEX weapons are worth using (if any, over something like refined)? I've been making it through most of the game just fine with like 38 DEX and a +10 Follower Saber but I just gotta know if there is a better way. I've something like 360 AR on it and it's making good headway on stuff, but ehhh, is there better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I haven't finished it yet, but I feel like I've already run into a good amount of annoying bullshit. The angels were a pointless pain in the rear end, and the same goes for the bridge with the archer summoner. Also, why the hell did the devs make Zoey endlessly chug estus? I get enough of that in PVP, and it added the annoying step of going back to the shrine bonfire to pick up some undead charms. Why not just give her some more HP or maybe limit her chugs to 2-3 and call it a day? For as much as people complain about fighting chuggers, I'm wondering if FROM is trolling their fanbase.

The first boss wasn't especially difficult, as I got it on my third try, but it wasn't good enough to warrant its length and it had some annoying camera issues. The large AOE pyromancies felt bullshit and random. I think I have an aversion to boss fights that don't end when you get the health bar all the way down.

As much as I loved DS3, I was pretty lukewarm on the first DLC and the second one is also shaping up to be disappointing to me. I love the setting and lore, but playing it has been an annoying slog.