Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I've been using Truefire for learning blues songs, but they also seem to have a Justin-style beginners course: https://truefire.com/learn-guitar/1-first-steps-for-beginners/c1034

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm in my 30s and my wife got me a guitar for our anniversary (I've always wanted to learn to play), but had a kid a month later. We're finally at a spot where I feel like I can devote some time to practice every day.

The best online resource I've come across is Justin Guitar. Does anyone have any other recommendations for learning materials / how to teach yourself? I learn better visually than through text, but would be open to any "must have" book resources.

you must've missed the recent round of praise for Rocksmith

Also take lessons. Do them over skype, but do start with lessons, even if it's only like 5-10 of them before you go self-directed for a bit. It will save you from making a lot of costly mechanical and ergonomics errors that might otherwise go ignored and seriously hamper your ability to progress. You could also legit hurt yourself playing incorrectly long-term.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm in my 30s and my wife got me a guitar for our anniversary (I've always wanted to learn to play), but had a kid a month later. We're finally at a spot where I feel like I can devote some time to practice every day.

The best online resource I've come across is Justin Guitar. Does anyone have any other recommendations for learning materials / how to teach yourself? I learn better visually than through text, but would be open to any "must have" book resources.

FWIW I have really, really liked Justin Guitar. I started from nothing last September, have played at least an hour pretty much every day since then, and I'm now at the start of the Intermediate grades (which are also going to be revamped over the summer, like his Beginner grades have already been). I have also done some of his theory and transcribing lessons. I can't give you ideas for other places, but I can at least give Justin a big thumbs up.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Edit ^^^ Good to hear. There seems to be pretty universal praise for his courses from my limited research.

I'll admit, I read the last like 10 posts and fired away. I've not heard of Rocksmith, but I'll check that out. Same with Truefire.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I'm enjoying Fender Play but Justin does a better job actually explaining how to structure your practice time and has more specific exercises and metrics for improvement. Also he's free.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Same as everyone else, I started with Justin Guitar (and also Andy (?) I think his name was? I used his uke videos before), looked up charts on ultimate-guitar.com to strum along with stuff when I knew the chords, then found a local teacher to keep working on what I'm really interested in pursuing (currently fingerpicking stuff.)

Also people say this all the time and I know it but it's really hard to actually force myself to do - don't play something with 90% accuracy at the speed you think it should go. Play at whatever tempo makes it 100% accurate. Otherwise you'll be making the same mistakes day after day after day, and reinforcing them. Practice doing it right, not wrong. (At this point I'm really just talking to myself.) That said at the end of a practice session I kind of let loose just to see what happens.

Also if your hand gets sore or tired to where you start making mistakes, take a break, otherwise you could put yourself out of commission for a while which is really frustrating.

As far as other books I like Guitar Aerobics but it's a little much to start with for a complete beginner I think. I also got a book on memorizing the fretboard which really could have just been a pamphlet but it had a lot of helpful tips and patterns for that.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 4, 2021

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Justin is great, and I've also been working on intermediate-level Truefire classes - wait for one of their discount windows to sign up for the unlimited pass.

I've also been going through the Mel Bay complete method to learn how to sight read. It's not going to teach you any modern songs or how to shred, but I've been having a surprising amount of fun by starting slowly (like, at 40 BPM) and ramping up the speed day-to-day.

https://www.amazon.com/Mel-Modern-G...&s=books&sr=1-1

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

curried lamb of God posted:

I've also been working on intermediate-level Truefire classes - wait for one of their discount windows to sign up for the unlimited pass
They're doing a 40% off deal right now!!

Personally I prefer buying a course or two when they're half or more off, and just focusing on one thing for a month, but I can see the appeal of just subscribing.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Also, I've never once bought a book digitally that I didn't regret not buying physically.

The caveat is Mel Bey books bought digitally through their website are just PDF downloads, so if you have the ability to print off a couple hundred pages, punch them and toss them in a binder, you can save some money. But like, buying the Berklee bass book because I had google play credit to save $17 was dumb, because now every time I want to play out of it I have to find the tablet and make sure it's charged and it's not sitting on a shelf where I can reference it quickly. It's a PITA.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Ages ago, I bought this Monoprice Indio single cut for a song from Amazon Warehouse. The neck is great, the frets are pretty damned good, but the electronics were kind of a joke so I stripped it down and put in new pots, new switch, and bought a loving Invader for the bridge position. I’m thinking about just making a custom pick guard to hide the neck carve. Should I do a heart? A penis? Some spikey thing left and right like a batwing SG? hmmmmmmm

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

First look at the HM-2w
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/boss-shares-first-look-at-its-highly-anticipated-hm-2-reissue-the-waza-craft-hm-2w

March 10th there will be a live stream by Boss showing it off.

"Supposedly, the noise floor has been adjusted, meaning the Waza Craft pedal promises to be quieter than its predecessor."

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Where can I preorder one?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Someone was trying to sell a MIJ HM-2 for $500 here in the Houston area for the past couple weeks.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

duodenum posted:

Ages ago, I bought this Monoprice Indio single cut for a song from Amazon Warehouse. The neck is great, the frets are pretty damned good, but the electronics were kind of a joke so I stripped it down and put in new pots, new switch, and bought a loving Invader for the bridge position. I’m thinking about just making a custom pick guard to hide the neck carve. Should I do a heart? A penis? Some spikey thing left and right like a batwing SG? hmmmmmmm

A ball sack? Half circle with a pentagram? A weed leaf?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Just put a clear piece of plastic over it and store like a hot wheels car in it or something.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Same idea but store your weed in it.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Thumposaurus posted:

Just put a clear piece of plastic over it and store like a hot wheels car in it or something.

I was going to say epoxy something fun in it.

OR

Spanish Manlove posted:

Find a way to put a little lock box on it. Even if it was just for looks, it would be pretty neat.

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I kinda wanted some more options for the HM2 since the circuit can do cool things beyond the all on 10 sound in the right application.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Vintersorg posted:

First look at the HM-2w
https://www.guitarworld.com/news/boss-shares-first-look-at-its-highly-anticipated-hm-2-reissue-the-waza-craft-hm-2w

"Supposedly, the noise floor has been adjusted, meaning the Waza Craft pedal promises to be quieter than its predecessor."

Honestly I’m in. I really want this. I don’t care if the price is stupid I’d just really like a modern well made BOSS HM-2.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

In Canada i've seen most wazas go for like $150 retail so I am hoping it's around that but who knows with the hype around this since the previous waza's you could just buy the regular still IIRC.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'll watch the video when I get home but yeah I really hope there's more than just one usable setting on it, just to play around with

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011
I kind of want to pick up one of the Metal Zone Waza reissues just for the audacity of it all

fakeedit: boss you fucks where's my slow gear waza

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Kazinsal posted:

boss you fucks where's my slow gear waza

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

My dude have you considered a Boss Katana?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Store cigarettes like Billy Gibbons

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Did that a few years ago :whatup:

(also pictured: broken E string that exploded due to my bends being too powerful to contain while belting out "The Grand Illusion" by Styx)

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Vintersorg posted:

First look at the HM-2w

The whole reason I picked my guitar back up is because I got really into Entombed-style death metal. I probably won't buy this, but...

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'll watch the video when I get home but yeah I really hope there's more than just one usable setting on it, just to play around with

They've only put the color samples out to show what it could look like so far. No details on how it sounds or what the eventual control config will be - no Waza switch on that one for a start.

Incidentally you should all join the Waza HM-2 group to a) catch the designer updating as he goes along and b) listen to the fanboys arguing about whether a clean blend will totally ruin the HM kvlt vibe.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Flip Yr Wig posted:

The whole reason I picked my guitar back up is because I got really into Entombed-style death metal. I probably won't buy this, but...

This is a great HM-2 clone with the color knobs locked at 10 for your convenience.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Hopefully it’ll be even buzzier and more saw-like

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

mango sentinel posted:

This is a great HM-2 clone with the color knobs locked at 10 for your convenience.

Nice. It's gonna be a little while before I rear end myself into downtuning enough to actually play Stockholm style, but I'll keep this in mind when I get there.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

80k posted:

I've been teaching my daughter (turning 6 this month) piano and it has been going well, but I'd love to teach her guitar as well, since she loves my electric guitars and pedals. But even a 22.5" scale guitar (my duo-sonic) is way too big for her and I can't imagine her weak hands holding down a chord. What age do you think is a good for starting guitar? In the meantime, she is getting pretty good at piano and I feel way more confident teaching piano than I do guitar so I can keep doing what I am doing.

Ukulele is the right answer here. We did lessons for my kiddo when he was a bit older and he played a mix of a half size classical guitar and a uke. The teacher said at that age they aren't going to be hindered by uke since the main stuff will all transfer.

If she wants to shred, just get a uke with a pickup and route it through a fuzz or something.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A few people on my facebook got their kids Loog guitars for Christmas. They're a little pricey, but they're tuned to E standard and apparently come with a lot of app integration, like Fender Play by way of PBS kids.

But ukes are cool because, even if they have their own sound, they're still basically just 2/3 of a normal guitar.

plerocercoid
Feb 14, 2012
I'll throw the Seagull M4 out as a suggestion.

http://www.seagullguitars.com/en/products/m4

It's basically a dulcimer that's made to be held more like a guitar rather than flat. It's fretted and tuned to the key of either D or G, so you can just mash your fingers wherever and make a chord in that key. Makes it nice for random strumming and people new to playing music, since you can't really play a bad note. They also retail for only $120 or so if I remember right.

Down side is that the chord shapes aren't really transferable to guitar like they are on a ukulele, though the basic skills like fretting and strumming are. And being locked into one key means you have to transcribe stuff to either D or G if you want to play songs.

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Huxley posted:

I was going to say epoxy something fun in it.

Like your favorite Super7 reaction figure: https://toy-wizards.com/2020/10/23/...a-emeritus-iii/

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005

PolishPandaBear posted:

I'm doing this with Abysswalker by Tomb Mold right now after like a 10 year hiatus from playing guitar (I was never very good back then anyway). The tab I found has 16th at 145bpm for the intro and I'm going at it at 80. It's hilarious and feels like a completely different song, but I'm still having fun.

I'm using Google's built in metronome, but that's more so because I'm lazy and don't want to tune down from standard or change the tuning in Guitar Pro.

I should do Spirit Crusher next. I love Death.

Spirit Crusher is good. I don't think the first parts are that hard, except for that one spot I was talking about where it shifts tempo up(At 1:08). I haven't even looked at the solo yet, but I know most of the riffs and every single one is a blast to play. Anyway, I realized Guitar Pro actually has a built in metronome, so I don't see why I couldn't just slow it down, and play along with it to learn the riff and get it in my memory, then I can mute it and just play it on my own to the click track. Then when that's good, bump tempo up and repeat the process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9AMFf5Ih7Y&t=62s

Drunk Driver Dad fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Mar 5, 2021

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Kinda got the urge for another guitar, but something a little different.

Specifically this:

Any of you guys have experience with multi scale guitars or ormsby? It's something I'd like to try but its tricky because I can't get one in my hands locally. I'd have to buy and have it shipped.

Kind of curious because I like the idea of an AU designed guitar, the korean facatory that model comes from has a good rep, and it has some interesting features aside from just the multi-scale neck (stainless steel frets, glued neck, back carve, inverted headstock, locking tuners, etc). It gives off a super modern vibe that I like and kind of seems like it would be a more modern/extreme version of my Ibanez in terms of feel, and I like the features of my Ibanez so I don't see the Ormsby as being too threatening or excessively gimmicky or weird.

What do people think about multiscales/ormsbys?

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
i think a lap steel would also be great for a kid that age; you don't have to hold it while standing, and you don't have to fret notes. should probably make sure your kid likes the sound of slides before getting one though, it's definitely its own thing.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
For kids, a guilele is uke sized and you play the same as a guitar, you can even get Aquila Red strings to get it down to E standard (from A).

I like multiscale, it's not a big adjustment to get used to, looks cool, keeps your floppiness under control for down tuning. Pretty necessary for 7 and 8 string guitars. I know nothing of Ormsby though.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Tad Naff posted:

I like multiscale, it's not a big adjustment to get used to, looks cool, keeps your floppiness under control for down tuning. Pretty necessary for 7 and 8 string guitars. I know nothing of Ormsby though.

Yeah fair enough. I know the brand itself is relatively unknown, so I'd be surprised if a goon has played one to be able to give their opinion but hope springs eternal.

That said the raw features seem quite impressive for the price:

$1400 ish USD for:

locking tuners
stainless steel frets
graphtec nut
swamp ash body
roasted maple, satin finished neck
set (glued) neck
full sized pots/electronics
splittable humbucker
hard case included

I've mentally compared it to the Ibanez lineup to kind of figure out the value and for similar money you can get a similar indonesian made RGA with no case, no locking tuners, standard frets and fret material, bolt on neck. Or for $200 AUD more you could get a Japanese made RG652 which does have a case, locking tuners, but the same pickups as the Ibanez I already have (which is not a criticism, I really like them, I just bought an indonesian Ibby for $900 AUD less so I don't see the need to pay the extra $900 for locking tuners, case and Japanese build).

So it seems to have some pretty competitive features beyond just the multi-scale neck.

I've heard a few youtube videos of them played clean and with gain, but who knows given how different gear is/youtube compression is, but the pickups seem pretty decent.

Eventually when I finish the avocadocaster and get rid of it, maybe I'll get one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Vintersorg posted:

This is a pretty easy fix. The op-amps they used were noisy as well as the supply circuit they employed. Both of which are the first thing you fix in a clone. They've been watching. ;)