Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
I would unironically enjoy Janitor Fantasy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
FF15 is going to be cool and good. That demo had a lot of promise and oh boy oh boy that soundtrack is superb.

fix the targeting though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Dubious posted:

FF15 is going to be cool and good. That demo had a lot of promise and oh boy oh boy that soundtrack is superb.

fix the targeting though.

The targeting was bad but it did distract from the fact that the combat overall was pretty blah. It just felt too loose and mashy (or "holdy" since you could just hold the button down to keep attacking). It's looking to be a game that very much depends on the quest design and writing much like DA:I or Witcher. Here's hoping they deliver.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Gologle posted:

July 13th, 2015

Hello everybody, this is Tabata. To answer the sudden flow of fan questions, yes, we will also be implementing a Job system, akin that in beloved titles such as Final Fantasy 3, Final Fantasy 3:DS, and Final Fantasy Tactics A2: Grimoire of the Rift. However, in keeping with our pledge to construct "a fantasy based on reality" the Jobs will reflect real life occupations. Please look forward to such entertaining Job combinations as: Pop Idol, Salaryman, High Schooler, Poverty College Student, Janitor, and more. Over 25 new Jobs!

All these jobs own you dummy

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Needs more Fastfood Cashier, I think.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"I gotta find a date to take to the prom on Saturday, or else Bahamut's gonna harness the power of the four elemental Crystals and destroy the world!"

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
So what you're saying is FF needs more Persona basically.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Give Cindy her own fast food chain where she fixes cars and burgers and all of the employees wear her outfit, even the men.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bravely Default and Dragon Quest both have Pop Idol as a class already. :colbert:

Veks
May 12, 2012

OOOOOOH MYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOD

ImpAtom posted:

Bravely Default and Dragon Quest both have Pop Idol as a class already. :colbert:

FFX-2 had it first :colbert:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Veks posted:

But it didn't have Elvis Ringabel so...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Veks posted:

Idol was in Dragon Quest VII. :colbert::colbert:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I've played several hours of Dragon Quest VII on various attempts to get through it and I have yet to reach anything resembling a character class or even enemy to fight. I don't think there's actually an RPG in there and it's just a slice-of-life simulator that got misnamed or something.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

I've played several hours of Dragon Quest VII on various attempts to get through it and I have yet to reach anything resembling a character class or even enemy to fight. I don't think there's actually an RPG in there and it's just a slice-of-life simulator that got misnamed or something.

You should be able to get to the first fights in 2 or 3 hours, they happen pretty much as soon as you get done farting around the ruins. Classes come a dozen hours later when you get past Dharma. But yeah, half the game is running around talking to NPCs.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

bloodychill posted:

The targeting was bad but it did distract from the fact that the combat overall was pretty blah. It just felt too loose and mashy (or "holdy" since you could just hold the button down to keep attacking).
I would like the combat a lot more if it were mashy. Holding the button down really makes me feel disconnected from the action on the screen.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru
The days of a small creative group being given tremendous creative freedom and a blank check are gone at Square-Enix. We're already seeing Final Fantasy XV fit the design template of many open world games, especially Ubisoft's games. Even as far back as FFXIII-2, we saw the developer grasp wildly at trends, such as branching conversations, in reaction to the change in consumer tastes.

They can't afford to have another FFXIII trilogy that struggles to find mainstream appeal, especially with overseas audiences who buy more AAA console games, and doesn't take into account trends in RPG design. Lowering the budget and taking more creative risks doesn't seem to be in the cards. The market has polarized to the point that most big publishers have a difficult time succeeding in the mid-sized market with more modestly budgeted games.

FFXV is already taking cues from a number of top selling Western games. I can't blame them since the AAA market has become centered on a handful of genres. Here's a list of top selling games at retail from a recent Ubisoft earnings report:

You basically have to be a multiplayer shooter, a sports game, or an open world game (or a Nintendo game) to have a shot at being one of the top selling games of the year.

How Rude posted:

I would unironically enjoy Janitor Fantasy

You star as Hiroyuki Ito, one of Square-Enix's most valuable employees. You start your career as phenom game designer before creating the backbone of Final Fantasy's battle system, directing several well-received Final Fantasy games, and stepping in to finish Final Fantasy XII in a clutch effort. Finally, you do nothing but perform building maintenance for the next ten years.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
AC Unity's spot on that list is profoundly depressing, granted they lumped Unity and Rogue together.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
No one remembers it's actually Watch_Dogs. It's like they hyphen in Spider-Man.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Watch Underscore Dogs

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Beef Waifu posted:

Underscore Dogs

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

bloodychill posted:

AC Unity's spot on that list is profoundly depressing, granted they lumped Unity and Rogue together.

Bad games that are sequels to better games (like Unity to Black Flag or, say, Dragon Age 2) usually sell well for a couple months because people primarily base their purchasing decisions on the previous game, and then their sales plummet within a year whereas good games continue to sell briskly for years

Depressing would be if the next AC game is the best-selling one yet or something

Baku fucked around with this message at 03:18 on May 21, 2015

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I think the best example we can talk about in the FF thread about sequels leeching off better games is FFVIII. It owes all its sales to FFVII. I forget the numbers but I think VIII is still one of the best selling FF games and that makes me sad.

@ Chrono Talk

I too was advised to play Cross before Trigger by some people. As a relative newcomer to both games, I can attest to this being a really, really bad suggestion. Don't listen to anyone who says it.

Also Chrono Cross does have the best JRPG OST....along with Xenogears. And hey, look, they were both done by Yasunori Mitsuda. Fancy that.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 03:51 on May 21, 2015

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

What kind of person would suggest Cross before Trigger?

The best Chrono Cross experience you can get is pulling up an OST playlist on youtube.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

"How dare this game I don't personally like be commercially successful, this is awful!"

I mean, you're free to not like it as much as you want, but that's some dumb reasoning right there.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Having feelings about the state of an industry that makes products you enjoy is bad and wrong.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Obviously important feelings like "This game made TOO MUCH MONEY, this is bullshit!" or "I don't like this game, so it should be a total failure and lose the company money!"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I was not saying FFVIII was a poo poo game so I want Square to go bankrupt with every last employee forced to live on the street.

I was just saying FFVIII has sold way more than much better video games and it only sold that much because it piggybacked off a revolutionary title.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Or hey, Mega Man Battle Network. The sales of each game was almost directly correlated with how good the one before it was, which was awkward that the best game in the series (MMBN3) was immediately followed and outsold by the worst one, killing the series forever.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Obviously important feelings like "This game made TOO MUCH MONEY, this is bullshit!" or "I don't like this game, so it should be a total failure and lose the company money!"

If a game is financially successful, companies might seek to replicate and reuse its design decisions in future games in hopes it would create more financial success. If a person thinks a game's design decisions are bullshit garbage, it's reasonable to hope the game does not do well financially so that companies decide to not do those things, or be upset that it did make money as that makes companies think the bullshit garbage decisions are secretly good.

Though since this is the Final Fantasy thread it doesn't quite apply so cleanly as Square tends to reinvent everything rather frequently.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

For an example I actually disagree with, there's Metal Gear Solid 2. loving love that game but there's no denying it got a less than warm reception from a lot of people back in the day and turned a lot of people off the series which in turn led to the universally fanboyed over MGS3 selling much less.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

I was not saying FFVIII was a poo poo game so I want Square to go bankrupt with every last employee forced to live on the street.

I was just saying FFVIII has sold way more than much better video games and it only sold that much because it piggybacked off a revolutionary title.

I'm not saying anything quite so drastic, I just think that having a series I like be successful seems like a net positive, especially for a series like FF, which like OFS said, undergoes a pretty drastic shift from game to game. But I see what you're getting at, in a way, it just doesn't seem like it'd be something to be sad about.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I agree but I can see where bloodychill is coming from. Also I doubt he is literally depressed about Unity's sales. To take this further, I suspect he is merely somewhat disappointed but used exaggerated language, like one does on the internet.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

RC Cola posted:

I just beat bravely default and xenoblade and was looking to pick up a new game. How is chrono trigger?

Have you played Suikoden 1 and 2? If not play those (they're on PSN now I think). Then try Suikoden 3 and 5. They never made a Suikoden 4 so you shouldn't look for it or anything about it or the goddamn ocean.

Twelve by Pies posted:

All I know about the SaGa series is that one, Unlimited SaGa was garbage, and two, years ago I remember reading a review of Minstrel Song where the author talked about previous games in the series. It mentioned that in one of them, there's a weapon called the Glass Sword that is missable, breaks after fifty uses, and is required to beat the final boss. So basically SaGa games sound like some sort of weird experiment to see how much a game can basically say "gently caress you, player," and still have people think they're fun and playable.

SaGa Frontier was fun despite being rushed and unfinished.

Dr Pepper posted:

Whoever you heard this from is wrong. In no SaGa game is there a "Glass Sword" required to beat the final boss.

And in that particular game you can OHKO the final boss with a (chain)saw. :getin:

Not that you need to do either, since both human and mutant characters can get strong enough to completely demolish the boss. Monster party members are also busted in that if you do things right you can keep moving them up a tier and potentially have an end game monster type really early on. The FFL LP had a chart for it listing how the system worked IIRC.

FFL2 was a prettydecent game unless you tried to use some terrible gimmick team and if you got the Seven sword and didn't have poo poo for agility you could murder the boss in no time. The penultimate boss was a giant loving roadblock for me as a kid though and so was Odin since I never went in the big dungeon beyond where you get the full body armor item about halfway in, so my monster type was kinda lovely (some gazer I think) and I was missing the few really nice items from deep in there to help with damage.

FFL3 was a hot mess and Monster/Robot forms were completely worthless. Even human/mutant forms are hilarious inferior to the late game beastman/cyborg forms.

corn in the bible posted:

You're talking about SaGa 2 (FFL2), that's the one with a Glass Sword, but that's wrong -- it's just a powerful, secret one-use item like the Ultima Weapon or whatever. You can kill the final boss regardless.

SaGa had a glass sword but it was bugged and had 50 uses instead of just 1.

NikkolasKing posted:

I think the best example we can talk about in the FF thread about sequels leeching off better games is FFVIII. It owes all its sales to FFVII. I forget the numbers but I think VIII is still one of the best selling FF games and that makes me sad.

@ Chrono Talk

I too was advised to play Cross before Trigger by some people. As a relative newcomer to both games, I can attest to this being a really, really bad suggestion. Don't listen to anyone who says it.

Also Chrono Cross does have the best JRPG OST....along with Xenogears. And hey, look, they were both done by Yasunori Mitsuda. Fancy that.

Suikoden games had this happen too. Suikoden 3 was hyped as gently caress for people because Suikoden 2 was an amazing game. S3 was decent but not nearly as good (and the pairing system in combat was dumb). Then.. something happened after Suikoden 3 was made. Something dark and evil. Suikoden 5 then came out and was much more true to form and probably the best of the series behind 2, but it couldn't undo the damage of what happened after 3 (or that 3 was kinda weird).

Then we got 2 handheld games that used the Suikoden name bt were awful and completely unrelated to the console series as a final gently caress You from Konami. :negative:

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

T.G. Xarbala posted:

I agree but I can see where bloodychill is coming from. Also I doubt he is literally depressed about Unity's sales. To take this further, I suspect he is merely somewhat disappointed but used exaggerated language, like one does on the internet.

Shut all the curtains and prepare the ice cream, I hear Unity had a good year.

But yeah, I was being a bit dramatic. The off-on sales trend and hype train is a good point. Mass Effect is another great example - the Internet went insane with hate over ME3 but partly only because people enjoyed ME2 so much. It would have otherwise been just another OK trilogy cap with a garbage ending otherwise.

Winter Fresh
Oct 31, 2011
Is final fantasy crystal chronicles good?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Winter Fresh posted:

Is final fantasy crystal chronicles good?

its a good coop game but a terrible single player game

unless you mean the crystal bearers because if so, yes it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNCWmZwNJSo

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm bummed they never gave a quick pass over crystal chronicles and put it out on a console with online multiplayer

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's SE's policy to completely reinvent the wheel with each numbered FF, and FFXV looks kinda neat... but we haven't had a traditional turn-based \ ATB game since FFX-2. I guess the XIII series kinda falls under that, but it's more about switching classes mid battle than determining what abilities or spells your guys do.

For Final Fantasy XVI, I really just want SE to pull another FFIX and totally go back to its roots. Bring back the ATB system and job classes. It may be best not to bring back random battles, but have on-screen enemies like Mario RPG \ Chrono Trigger \ FFXIII \ etc. If they want an open world setting, they could probably do that. I feel like that would draw in the people who fondly remember IV-X but were alienated by XI\XII\XIII\XIV.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What a loving depressing list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

What a loving depressing list.

The only surprising part is that both FIFAs are on there, which doesn't make any sense to me