Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

John Murdoch posted:

Tbh, even having done the Lord of Hollows ending I still don't really understand what any of it means. But I will say DS3 gave me pause when I got to the Ringed City and the dude that "welcomes" you at the very beginning refers to it as a latrine. :tinfoil:

I think the word he uses is “privy”. That line has stuck with me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I made some really lovely choices in Witcher 3 and it resulted in a happy ending for all parties but one rich guy.

I wasn’t expecting that.

Edit: stole all their goats milk, I’ll call it even.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

moosecow333 posted:

I made some really lovely choices in Witcher 3 and it resulted in a happy ending for all parties but one rich guy.

I wasn’t expecting that.

Edit: stole all their goats milk, I’ll call it even.

Makes me think of Tigtone. "Thank you for destroying our entire civilisation Geralt. Now we can eat this rich guy! YAAAAAYY!"

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I was so happy when I got to the point where Geralt, Yennefer and Ciri all trashed that elf sorcerer's cave hideout.

It was then I knew I had made the right choices.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Oh man, Witcher 3 and it's side quests. My favorite is all the times you make relatively reasonable decisions using your best judgement but you missed something and it's just a dog poo poo result for all involved. Peasant shouting at you for not being able to break a curse and all you can do is go "hrrm" and ride off.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Son of Rodney posted:

Oh man, Witcher 3 and it's side quests. My favorite is all the times you make relatively reasonable decisions using your best judgement but you missed something and it's just a dog poo poo result for all involved. Peasant shouting at you for not being able to break a curse and all you can do is go "hrrm" and ride off.

this is a theme of the game, yes

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think I only got got once by that, it’s usually pretty fair partly cause the acting is good enough that when someone’s acting shady you can call it out, but I definitely got hit by the end of the quest that starts after Dandelion’s girlfriend gets attacked. I mean, I savescummed after getting the bad ending, but still.

Usually Witcher 3 is pretty nice in that there’s just two crappy side quest outcomes!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
The System Shock series has amazingly immersive sound design, and every time I boot the games up I'm astounded by them. Being able to hear which enemies are stomping around adds both to how you strategize as a player, as well as to the sense of impending dread.

Particularly now that I'm playing System Shock 2 for the first time in a few years, where the second I hear the screech of a Psychic Monkey I immediately beyond all force of will switch to my biggest weapon and become an omnicidal monkey-hunting machine because gently caress those monkeys.

System shock 2 asks the question "how much monkey death is sufficient", the answer to which is "all of it".

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Breetai posted:

System shock 2 asks the question "how much monkey death is sufficient", the answer to which is "all of it".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Breetai posted:

The System Shock series has amazingly immersive sound design, and every time I boot the games up I'm astounded by them. Being able to hear which enemies are stomping around adds both to how you strategize as a player, as well as to the sense of impending dread.

Particularly now that I'm playing System Shock 2 for the first time in a few years, where the second I hear the screech of a Psychic Monkey I immediately beyond all force of will switch to my biggest weapon and become an omnicidal monkey-hunting machine because gently caress those monkeys.

Horizon: Forbidden West added human-size Monkey Robots and I was having none of that poo poo because those fuckers can jump on you and throw you. They get the good weapons because those fuckers are also on FIRE.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Breetai posted:

System Shock was made with the same engine as the Thief games. It meant it had the best sound handling of any game around. I don't think any game had better sound for another decade.

It also had certain legacy features from the Thief games. Even though SS2 didn't have the light gem you could still hide in shadows in exactly the same way you could in Thief. Every room had it own sound and lighting zone and could be set for all different sorts of themes. Like cave, metal, stone, etc.

But it also meant that, if you stood right in the doorway between two rooms, between lighting zones, you could be totally invisible as there was often this tiny sliver you could barely even see where there was no light.

So you could open a door, stand right where it had been and bang your wrench on something and the AI would wander right up to you while being unable to see you despite you taking up the whole doorway.

SS2 and Thief are my two favourite games ever. Sure, other games have long since surpassed them, but they stood so far above everything else at the time and were just amazing.

Well, apart from the graphics. Let's be honest there.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If this is old news I'm not sorry! This is technically the extremely biggest thing in the game because it concerns every square of the map it takes place in, but I can't think of many places to post this really awesome website by a Fallout superfan I came across. This is a blog by a woman who has visited several of the game's various locations including some that are way, way the hell out there in the desert. Because she lives there!

https://theluckythirtykate.com/

It counts as a little thing still in my heart for Obsidian, because it shows sheer attention to detail even on such a grand scale. I knew that places like Goodsprings, Nipton and so on had foundation in the real world. I did not know that the Obsidian team mapped these areas down to taking inspiration from the shapes of the local homes. I didn't know that they used the real state signs, real state crossing railroads. Structures, debris, real busted old houses and all kinds of different weird unique rock fixtures and mines and plants.

There are comparison shots between the game and the direct real world location, pictured here the courier standing atop her own grave site looking out over vegas.

She had a pretty funny observation about the cemetery itself, because in real life it's at the foot of the big hill, not the top.

quote:

Climbing up here made me realize that it would not be very pragmatic to put the graveyard up here, since that would mean you have to haul the individuals up here to be buried, and the gravestones which likely weight hundreds of pounds, when you could just have it on flat ground below, like in real life. But in game, the location a top the hill is more cinematic.

It kinda feels like a cemetery which would only work if you brought living people up there to kill and bury them like Benny did.

The blog is great because it covers not just the game, but the real world surrounding it. Not just pictures of Goodsprings, but pictures of the signs AT the location which tell you the history of the real place. Not just photos of Nipton, a hangout with the mayor of Nipton who isn't a prick! There is much love given to local stories and color and so many wonderful photos of places you absolutely will never go, but may want to know what they look like now that you know they are not just real but accurately represented in Fallout New Vegas. It's really worth checking out, it will just keep surprising you with how many weird fun little pieces of signage or landmarks or unique fauna Obsidian tracked down.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 12:50 on Mar 16, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
ALSO, the real life nipton has engraved stones dedicated to donators to the town's reconstruction and they put the ABSOLUTE BEST ONE THEY COULD around all the weed ones.

Caesar is GIGA MAD

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

CJacobs posted:

The blog is great because it covers not just the game, but the real world surrounding it. Not just pictures of Goodsprings, but pictures of the signs which tell you the history of the real place.

I did this in Fallout 3 too. Getting curious when I saw a sign for shady grove (an actual metro stop in the DC burbs), I headed NW of the stop to find the town I live in. Sure enough, it was there and just like RL, it was entirely populated by super mutants

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 12:42 on Mar 16, 2022

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

CJacobs posted:

Fallout New Vegas

That's awesome, I love it when game devs go to that level of research and folks take the time to document it. The Horizon games are also great for that, Zero Dawn in particular got me with the number of places I've been.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

CJacobs posted:

New Vegas :words:

Oh yeah they put a lot into the areas, I live in cali and have taken the game's route to vegas before and it'll never not be kinda trippy to see certain things and places after how much time I've spent around the virtual counterparts.

Hilariously, I just got New Vegas up and running so I could play it again, so there'll probably be more little things from it soon, cause I alwaya find new poo poo. Like the pristine bb gun I found in goodsprings last night that I've never seen before!

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

My favorite thing about that is the IRL Goodsprings bar knows exactly why you're visiting.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The real-life town that Life is Strange's Arcadia Bay is based off of has like 800 people living in it so I wonder if the residents ever find all the nerds taking pictures of the lighthouse weird.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
This gives me hope that the giant dinosaur you find Boone in exists.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

exquisite tea posted:

The real-life town that Life is Strange's Arcadia Bay is based off of has like 800 people living in it so I wonder if the residents ever find all the nerds taking pictures of the lighthouse weird.

Lots of people like lighthouses without needing to involve videogames.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

moosecow333 posted:

It's part of a creationist "museum" in Cabazon, CA.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

moosecow333 posted:

Giant dinosaur statues that you can walk up inside certainly exist, but it doesn't look like there's one where Novac was supposed to be

https://theluckythirtykate.com/portfolio/novac-and-gibson-scrap-yard-fallout-new-vegas/

If you ever find yourself in my idiot province, do try to get out to Drumheller. It's kind of a hole, but there is a giant dinosaur statue, and more importantly, a world-class palaeontological museum that I had no idea how lucky I was to have it so close by growing up https://tyrrellmuseum.com/

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Lots of people like lighthouses without needing to involve videogames.

Not me, I need video games to give my life guidance.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Byzantine posted:

My favorite thing about that is the IRL Goodsprings bar knows exactly why you're visiting.

And they're really happy that you are visiting! They have tons of handmade merch and love the game. Don't let goon embarrassment stop you doing cool poo poo like going out into the desert when it's nearly too hot to do so in order to do research for your video game. Remember these places are out in the middle of the desert, they only get like a dozen Fallout fans a year!

edit: After all goons are no strangers to doing laborious things in extreme heat for those that they love, I recall a certain printer

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
That's what's the coolest about all these places taking inspiration from real life, I feel. It's not the same as just going to Chicago to model Chicago for a game like Watch Dogs. The blog goes to great lengths to explain that some of the locations ARE real but are terribly hard to get to (and warns you approrpiately), requiring a 4x4 even to navigate crumbling roads and preparing for post-hundred-degree temperatures. So it's pretty neat that they still reflect the real world because it means the developers actually had to go backpacking like you do in the game. Just, yknow, maybe a little a bit less realistically in Fallout. It's some of the most literal location scouting I've seen documented so well.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

moosecow333 posted:

Just be careful wear you stand…

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Playing xcom 2 tactical legacy pack and dying laughing that they kept saying how much Dr Tygan likes the advent burgers then when you go on a mission and have to rescue him his codename down the bottom is just "Hamburgler"

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Because the xcom wiki lists the callsigns for team members who join you in the field just for completion's sake, the DLC has caused Dr Tygan to join their ranks in permanence

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've unlocked the ability to go to the next map in Nioh so looking through the bestiary for a bit. I liked first of all that one area that's actually in the daytime, that was a nice change even if it was a purely optional mission.

I do love the enemy designs though, I hadn't noticed that the Biwa Boku-Boku wasn't actually playing his Biwa - the instrument itself is the Yokai, the monk is just bound to it. The instrument actually has a set of arms itself, that it uses to force the monk sprit's hands to keep moving, endlessly playing.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I've unlocked the ability to go to the next map in Nioh so looking through the bestiary for a bit. I liked first of all that one area that's actually in the daytime, that was a nice change even if it was a purely optional mission.

I do love the enemy designs though, I hadn't noticed that the Biwa Boku-Boku wasn't actually playing his Biwa - the instrument itself is the Yokai, the monk is just bound to it. The instrument actually has a set of arms itself, that it uses to force the monk sprit's hands to keep moving, endlessly playing.

While I fell off Nioh pretty hard, I did quite like the aesthetic because I'm a sucker for Japanese folklore and traditional architecture. The above ground areas of Dazaifu were especially interesting for me personally, because I live quite near the real place and while its very much an artistic interpretation, there's still enough of it present that's recognizable.

Found a video to illustrate
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2ZWhaH1Ibg

RillAkBea has a new favorite as of 12:15 on Mar 17, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm currently at the poison level, but it's not as bad as Fromsoft poison levels because you can stop the poison permanently. These weird rocks are spewing it and once those rocks are dead, they can't make any more poison so that room becomes (relatively) safe. They also don't respawn, so the more rocks you kill the easier navigation becomes.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I appreciate that Elden Ring has had like a half dozen poison swamps on the overworld but that they’re just flavor since my trusty steed doesn’t get poisoned.

I got lost in the Nightmare Frontier Zone earlier and I’m pretty sure the giga poison there CAN kill my trusty steed though, which is gonna suck.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Last Celebration posted:

I appreciate that Elden Ring has had like a half dozen poison swamps on the overworld but that they’re just flavor since my trusty steed doesn’t get poisoned.

I got lost in the Nightmare Frontier Zone earlier and I’m pretty sure the giga poison there CAN kill my trusty steed though, which is gonna suck.

I’m assuming you’re talking about Caelid/swamp of Aeonia?

it (scarlet rot) actually can’t

But

magma absolutely can

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's awesome, I love it when game devs go to that level of research and folks take the time to document it. The Horizon games are also great for that, Zero Dawn in particular got me with the number of places I've been.

I went into it pretty blind then went OH poo poo I KNOW WHERE THIS IS the moment I found the recollection beacon thingy with the hideous Air Force Academy which I learned about from a mission in red alert 2

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Frank Frank posted:

I’m assuming you’re talking about Caelid/swamp of Aeonia?

it (scarlet rot) actually can’t

But

magma absolutely can

Yeah, that area, good to know wrt scarlet rot, it was pretty early game cause I got sent back via the warp trap so I guess i got dismounted by something else

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Last Celebration posted:

Yeah, that area, good to know wrt scarlet rot, it was pretty early game cause I got sent back via the warp trap so I guess i got dismounted by something else
Probably the NPC invasion there. I don't think she invades if you do her quest though.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
In Star Trek: Armada 2, Borg cubes can assimilate special weapons from other races, and even distribute stolen special weapons throughout the Borg fleet.

One Klingon special weapon is the Death Chant.

All of my Borg cubes are now belting out Klingon war songs, buffing each others' damage and the rest of the Collective.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

CJacobs posted:

And they're really happy that you are visiting! They have tons of handmade merch and love the game. Don't let goon embarrassment stop you doing cool poo poo like going out into the desert when it's nearly too hot to do so in order to do research for your video game. Remember these places are out in the middle of the desert, they only get like a dozen Fallout fans a year!

edit: After all goons are no strangers to doing laborious things in extreme heat for those that they love, I recall a certain printer

i thought that was a printer run in winter? or was there a another different friendzone printer run during a light flurry blizzard?

Pijeus
Feb 24, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Horizon: Forbidden West added human-size Monkey Robots and I was having none of that poo poo because those fuckers can jump on you and throw you. They get the good weapons because those fuckers are also on FIRE.

Oh god those utter bastards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Last Celebration posted:

I did the same thing. You will struggle there at low level. Go fart around south/north of limgrave before you hit Caelid.