Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

homeless poster posted:

it certainly has the potential to deal more damage, but depending on how you play that might not be necessary (as far as overkill goes). if you're maxed out on sneaking and you're shooting from stealth and always hitting the head and you have the little lamplight dude's perk, the .50 cal hunting rifle is probably enough damage to one-shot almost anything. also you can silence the hunting rifle, which can be a benefit in certain situations.

still way more fun to gib deathclaws with one bolt from the gauss rifle imo

Gauss rifles can get suppressors too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

homeless poster posted:

it certainly has the potential to deal more damage, but depending on how you play that might not be necessary (as far as overkill goes). if you're maxed out on sneaking and you're shooting from stealth and always hitting the head and you have the little lamplight dude's perk, the .50 cal hunting rifle is probably enough damage to one-shot almost anything. also you can silence the hunting rifle, which can be a benefit in certain situations.

still way more fun to gib deathclaws with one bolt from the gauss rifle imo

If you've got the sneaking perks and the damage perks and the silencer perks even a silenced .38 pistol will one shot almost anything. When I finally just finished the BoS questline at like 74 (survival) I was literally just wandering around with nothing but the deliverer and a two shot .44 for stealth and "welp, you saw me, now you'll feel it when I kill you" modes. Two shots on glowing deathclaws, sometimes 3 on behemoths if I'm just a little out of range. Swan didn't even finish standing up.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

HJE-Cobra posted:

Gauss rifles can get suppressors too

The suppressor for it is quite large makes the gauss rifle look even more baller in 3rd person. I think mine was originally a unique for opening the armoury in the castle? And came with 50% extra limb damage. I recently installed a mod that let's you add unique traits to guns via the workbench, but added a "legendary chip" as the item required which you can only get from other legendaries. So the 40+ legendary boards and loving tire irons I had saved away went to making a gauss rifle which does double damage when the target is at full health. Then a combat shotgun with the 25pts of explosive damage. Between those two guns I'm generally choosing if I want an enemy's head to explode or for their limbs to blow off :black101:, everything dies in 1-2 shots. I badly need a mod that triples or quadruples enemy spawn counts now.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Gonkish posted:

This.

From what I understand the max number is 10 + <charisma>. So if you have 10 charisma, your max number is 20 (10 + 10). Apparently temporary bonuses work on this, too, so if you're wearing your charisma clownsuit and hopped up on grape mentats and poo poo when the game is trying to determine whether it wants to throw another settler your way you can get above 20.

HAH I broke it. I have 6 charisma and had 13 settlers in sanctuary hills before rescuing murphy et al from the museum. So now I have 18. Interesting what'll happen.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Sure, but first you need to change its name to the John Henry Special

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

double nine posted:

HAH I broke it. I have 6 charisma and had 13 settlers in sanctuary hills before rescuing murphy et al from the museum. So now I have 18. Interesting what'll happen.

Nothing, you can acomplish the same by loading up on drugs and booze and sluring orders to people to move to another settlement before the high wears off. I have like almost 30 people at the starlight, all provisioners.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Settlement building does become quite a bit more satisfying when you view yourself as a manorial slave-driver than some nerd trying to make the wasteland a nice place. :unsmith:

gasman
Mar 21, 2013

hey now

Munsun posted:

This makes me want a banana peel landmine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLIOGNaxb-4

Bethesda should really just have Arkane Studios make their games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XS49Dazin3E

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

I appreciate the authenticity of Bethesda female character design on display there.

In most RPGs you get the option to design a character after how you might want to look. or at least look for a while.

Not Bethesda. Here I get myself. plain and shapeless as white bread.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Dec 22, 2015

Indigo Jones
Jul 11, 2014

by zen death robot
So I'm currently helping the Railroad and doing the Underground Undercover quest. It says to continue working with father, and I'm at the part where you have to retrieve the synths from Bunker Hill.

I warned the Railroad about it, and Desdemona told me to kill the courser and leave no one alive. But when I kill the courser it tells me that I failed the quest, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Do I just continue the quest like normal or what am I supposed to do?

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Indigo Jones posted:

So I'm currently helping the Railroad and doing the Underground Undercover quest. It says to continue working with father, and I'm at the part where you have to retrieve the synths from Bunker Hill.

I warned the Railroad about it, and Desdemona told me to kill the courser and leave no one alive. But when I kill the courser it tells me that I failed the quest, so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Do I just continue the quest like normal or what am I supposed to do?

That was super confusing to me too. You still need to go into Bunker Hill I think and tell the synths to escape? But after that you should get a mission prompt to go back and talk to Father.

The real weird thing to me on that one was that I had taken to helping the Railroad, but I had no interaction with the BoS at all after meeting Danse for the first time. So when all of a sudden Bunker Hill became a big 3-way fight I was really confused.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

I plan to go got the brotherhood ending. How long can I play all three sides until I have to start opening throats while apologizing?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Zephyrine posted:

I plan to go got the brotherhood ending. How long can I play all three sides until I have to start opening throats while apologizing?

After you work through Danse's issues you get Tactical Thinking, once you speak to Captain Kells then you're hostile with the Railroad whether you accept or decline. Also having Tactical Thinking in your questlog breaks some Railroad radiant questgivers but that might get patched. In the BoS questline the Railroad are first to go.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

eating only apples posted:

After you work through Danse's issues you get Tactical Thinking, once you speak to Captain Kells then you're hostile with the Railroad whether you accept or decline. Also having Tactical Thinking in your questlog breaks some Railroad radiant questgivers but that might get patched. In the BoS questline the Railroad are first to go.

I was sent out on a mission with a courser to retriever a synth and he shot down a brotherhood vertibird :stonk:

I'm feeling worried about my brotherhood rep as I do this stuff.

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Zephyrine posted:

I was sent out on a mission with a courser to retriever a synth and he shot down a brotherhood vertibird :stonk:

I'm feeling worried about my brotherhood rep as I do this stuff.

You're okay, it's not like New Vegas, as far as I can tell there's no faction rep at all. I've killed a handful of coursers for the Railroad and am still on speaking terms with the Institute.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

You're okay, it's not like New Vegas, as far as I can tell there's no faction rep at all. I've killed a handful of coursers for the Railroad and am still on speaking terms with the Institute.

Okay that sounds good. So I can keep working all three sides until I get a mission to go talk to the captain then?

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Zephyrine posted:

Okay that sounds good. So I can keep working all three sides until I get a mission to go talk to the captain then?

I don't know about the Railroad or the Institute but that's where the BoS side splits. I haven't played that far in the other factions yet but I hear there's a popup or a warning of some kind. The BoS vs Railroad is really out of the blue though.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

so has anyone built a labyrinthine settlement yet, with traps and turrets set up throughout? cause that seems like it'd be the most fun way to handle raiders

maybe starlight drive-in...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

so has anyone built a labyrinthine settlement yet, with traps and turrets set up throughout? cause that seems like it'd be the most fun way to handle raiders

maybe starlight drive-in...

no, because:

Attacking groups are weak

They tend to get teleported inside your settlement on occasion

Traps are poo poo

Missile turrets

e: also it's a waste of resources

JawKnee fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 23, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

JawKnee posted:

no, because:

Attacking groups are weak

Traps are poo poo

Missile turrets

e: also it's a waste of resources

You forgot the most important issue: your settlers will all just run out into the open to shoot the raiders anyway

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

also your settlers are marked as essential when there's an attack on your settlement, lol.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Odobenidae posted:

also your settlers are marked as essential when there's an attack on your settlement, lol.

The attackers might kill the crops though and repairing those is a pain.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Odobenidae posted:

Wait, what? Is this only while you're present, or even if you don't stop by to save the settlement? Since I'm pretty sure I've got a couple of settlers at 0 population now, as I failed to attend the raid. (can't double-check now though as I'm not at home at present)

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

Wait, what? Is this only while you're present, or even if you don't stop by to save the settlement? Since I'm pretty sure I've got a couple of settlers at 0 population now, as I failed to attend the raid. (can't double-check now though as I'm not at home at present)

I think if you're at the settlement when it's actively being attacked they can't, but if they get ganked in a raid while you're doing a quest somewhere else they can die.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Conversely, I killed a bunch of Railroaders in the Battle of Bunker Hill and they still weren't hostile to me afterward. Come to think of it, they weren't even hostile to me during it.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

JawKnee posted:

I always enjoyed it when a pack of super mutants would spawn inside a corner building with a door too small for them to exit through. I was always tempted to just put a block in front of it and leave. If they can't physically reach the settlers, and the settlers can't physically reach them, does the city siege last forever or does it eventually time out?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

MaliciousOnion posted:

Conversely, I killed a bunch of Railroaders in the Battle of Bunker Hill and they still weren't hostile to me afterward. Come to think of it, they weren't even hostile to me during it.

My standard way of handling that quest is to run around looting as much as I can while a battle whirls around me. No one shoots at me, so screw it, I'm here to get first pickings on their sweet, sweet gear.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem

Gonkish posted:

My standard way of handling that quest is to run around looting as much as I can while a battle whirls around me. No one shoots at me, so screw it, I'm here to get first pickings on their sweet, sweet gear.

Yeah, I was pretty loaded down with gauss rifles and heavy armor coats by the end of that mission.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

EricFate posted:

I always enjoyed it when a pack of super mutants would spawn inside a corner building with a door too small for them to exit through. I was always tempted to just put a block in front of it and leave. If they can't physically reach the settlers, and the settlers can't physically reach them, does the city siege last forever or does it eventually time out?

Of course not- if you leave you lose the mission and the settlement takes some damage. Why would the game let you do something that fun?

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

HJE-Cobra posted:

Yeah, I was pretty loaded down with gauss rifles and heavy armor coats by the end of that mission.

Kinda dumb that the loving Railroad doesn't even offer you one of those coats, but meh.. It looks better on Glory anyway.

Indigo Jones
Jul 11, 2014

by zen death robot
can you exit the mass fusion building once you've teleported there from the institute? I didn't know there was a rad-heavy section in there, and want to get my power armor for it. also the enemies after you get the berylium container are incredibly tough.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Indigo Jones posted:

can you exit the mass fusion building once you've teleported there from the institute? I didn't know there was a rad-heavy section in there, and want to get my power armor for it. also the enemies after you get the berylium container are incredibly tough.

There's a hazmat suit right in the room, it's all you need

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Odobenidae posted:

is this only when the game announces "X settlement is under attack"? because i was literally present in some settlement when raiders came rolling up out of nowhere and one of the Settler characters definitely died for good. corpse on the ground and settler number for the area -1 and everything

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

homeless poster posted:

is this only when the game announces "X settlement is under attack"? because i was literally present in some settlement when raiders came rolling up out of nowhere and one of the Settler characters definitely died for good. corpse on the ground and settler number for the area -1 and everything

You can permakill your settlers, enemies can't. Watch that friendly fire!

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

Evilreaver posted:

You can permakill your settlers, enemies can't. Watch that friendly fire!

Oh then maybe I should stop using my explosive shotgun, smg and assault rifle when I get invaded.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

MarshyMcFly posted:

Oh then maybe I should stop using my explosive shotgun, smg and assault rifle when I get invaded.

I somehow manage not to gib settlers and I run around with an explosive minigun. poo poo is nbd.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

MarshyMcFly posted:

Just don't give your settlers any close range weapons. I try to give my guys guns with long range scopes. It seems to make them stay back more but I could just be imagining things.

Sjonnar
Oct 22, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

Yep. Also, if you don't want to exterminate the Railroad, don't talk to Lancer Captain Kell. Instead, go do the Institute questline until you get the quest "Mass Fusion". Choose to rat the Institute out to the Brotherhood and you'll get "Spoils of War", which continues the Brotherhood questline. This is just in case you really like Glory and Deacon and don't want to kill them.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Sjonnar posted:

Yep. Also, if you don't want to exterminate the Railroad, don't talk to Lancer Captain Kell. Instead, go do the Institute questline until you get the quest "Mass Fusion". Choose to rat the Institute out to the Brotherhood and you'll get "Spoils of War", which continues the Brotherhood questline. This is just in case you really like Glory and Deacon and don't want to kill them.

Cannot murder the railroad soon enough.

I'll miss Tom but I'll load up the needle gun thing with an overdose of jet and shot him in the neck before the real shooting starts. He can party with momma Murphy in the big trailer park in the sky.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Dec 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
Has anyone else seen what the Spray N' Pray does to water? It's pretty entertaining.

• Locked thread