Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Quad posted:

Chonk is an incredibly ableist meme as well, unless you think it's hilarious that some people can't spell things properly because they're neuro-divergent.
Wait, what?

Unrelated:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Hirayuki posted:

Wait, what?

They're doing the "I identify as an attack helicopter" bit, because some people just cannot hear that they may have done something racist without doubling down on it.

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe

Hirayuki posted:

Wait, what?

Unrelated:

We're all sharing memes and having fun, to die on the hill of "an accented word is racism even if it's about a cute cat" is just as exhausting and uptight as insisting that any misspelled word or word derivation has its roots in insulting the dyslexic or other neuro-divergent people.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

White people can only use:

"Oh my gravy!"
If they're working class

"By Jove!"
If they own a factory in the 19th century

tia

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Say what you want about Genghis Khan but he made the silk road run on time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

No but your avatar is

Milhouse is not a mome.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jerry Cotton posted:

Milhouse is not a mome.

Yes but "Milhouse is not a mome" is a mome

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Quad posted:

We're all sharing memes and having fun, to die on the hill of "an accented word is racism even if it's about a cute cat" is just as exhausting and uptight as insisting that any misspelled word or word derivation has its roots in insulting the dyslexic or other neuro-divergent people.

Why not just apologize for unintentionally posting something that people find to be racist instead of doubling down on being an rear end in a top hat? If you're going to talk about hills to die on your right to post "oh lawd" memes despite knowing they have racist implications to some people is an interesting choice.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Like someone earlier in the thread said, just do a GIS for "oh lawd" cuz it doesn't matter if the older southern generations use it regardless of race in polite society, words mean what they're used for, it's how language works, and apparently these days in the context of memes it's being mainly used on Mammy memes and at least one meme of a black dude holding a bunch of watermelons going OH LAWDS IS I IN HEAVEN

that's the hill some of y'all are choosing to die on

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean if you roll back far enough in this very thread series you'll find plenty of

But I'm putting this fucker in spoiler tags because you know what, things change and holy gently caress

e: or maybe it was the meme thread. Either way

Data Graham has a new favorite as of 17:05 on Jan 2, 2019

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I don't care that the phrase is also used by racists because when it's over a picture of a big fat cat it's clearly not racist. lawd almighty

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
… so just phrase it as honkily as possible. Gee whillikers omegachonk is arriving soon

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
a picture of a black lady saying oh lawd? ain't nobody got time for that

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

God guys, can't you just do what I want?

Ugh!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

some people in this thread: "hey that language you used has some racist connotations you might not be aware of"

other people in this thread: "gently caress you it's my right to have whatever connotations I'm not aware of that I want"

me:

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

FreudianSlippers posted:

"Oh my gravy!"
If they're working class

"By Jove!"
If they own a factory in the 19th century

tia

How about saying "Oh my giddy aunt!", can I steal that one from the Brits?

sandoz
Jan 29, 2009

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Like someone earlier in the thread said, just do a GIS for "oh lawd" cuz it doesn't matter if the older southern generations use it regardless of race in polite society, words mean what they're used for, it's how language works, and apparently these days in the context of memes it's being mainly used on Mammy memes and at least one meme of a black dude holding a bunch of watermelons going OH LAWDS IS I IN HEAVEN

that's the hill some of y'all are choosing to die on

you should ask goons why they think it's ok to say the r-word

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

oh lord, he is coming

lord be with us

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
was that this thread or the other one

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

sandoz posted:

you should ask goons why they think it's ok to say the r-word

There are no words that are ok.

We can’t even talk poo poo about furrys.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Who cares, just post your stupid fat animals without a caption, it doesn't even add anything.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MarcusSA posted:

There are no words that are ok.

We can’t even talk poo poo about furrys.

This is the most crybaby snowflake poo poo

You can talk poo poo about whoever you want but if you post like a bigoted grandpa, then people are going to talk poo poo about you

2019, goons raging against not posting slurs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FreudianSlippers posted:

"By Jove!"

this is cultural appropriation of Rome

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
what's wrong with being a mother fucker anyway

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The Bloop posted:

what's wrong with being a mother fucker anyway

Nothing, because you know that mothers gently caress

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:catbert:

not my mom

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

You are all missing the point that the l—d fat cat meme is highly offensive, not because it’s racist, but because it takes God’s name in vain. This violates the 3rd Commandment and I think we can all do better to avoid offending our Christian brethren. This ain’t it chiefs.

Content:

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

sneakyfrog posted:

:catbert:

not my mom

Just because she says no to you doesn't mean she says no to everybody.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

:gas:

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

space uncle posted:

You are all missing the point that the l—d fat cat meme is highly offensive, not because it’s racist, but because it takes God’s name in vain. This violates the 3rd Commandment and I think we can all do better to avoid offending our Christian brethren. This ain’t it chiefs.

Content:

:pervert: ... Oh lawd,. I'm coming?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Trig Discipline posted:

Just because she says no to you doesn't mean she says no to everybody.

You're like the Monet of mom jokes.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
So did we collectively transition from "absolute unit" because it got stale or because it has some cultural baggage I'm ignorant about?

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Trabant posted:

How about saying "Oh my giddy aunt!", can I steal that one from the Brits?

Do you have an aunt?

Is she giddy?

Well then :colbert:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Baron von Eevl posted:

So did we collectively transition from "absolute unit" because it got stale or because it has some cultural baggage I'm ignorant about?

memes expire

F

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I still have no idea where the absolute unit thing even started. Like, was "absolute unit" a math term that was applied to something before it got applied to a big fat guy?

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Trabant posted:

How about saying "Oh my giddy aunt!", can I steal that one from the Brits Time Lords?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Solice Kirsk posted:

I still have no idea where the absolute unit thing even started. Like, was "absolute unit" a math term that was applied to something before it got applied to a big fat guy?

I feel like it came from Alex Jones showing off his "prowess"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Solice Kirsk posted:

It’s British English - my coworkers say it. Absolute is an intensifier.

Cue “APPROPRIATION SEE??? GOTCHA!!!”