Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

bears of unusual size? i don't believe they exist

*gets tackled by two-story bear from offscreen*

That is in fact a bear of perfectly usual size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

simply because a Pokemon can't have more than one status effect at a time. Or more specifically, Poisoning your own Pokemon means they can't get the much more severely ramping effect of Toxic.
I think this was a happy accident of a bug in the original FF2 on the SNES, where Molbols would inflict terrible status effects on you if you didn't have any active at the time; luckily, the place you were most likely to run across them also expected you to have the Float status, so the Molbols' attack always failed.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Hirayuki posted:

I think this was a happy accident of a bug in the original FF2 on the SNES, where Molbols would inflict terrible status effects on you if you didn't have any active at the time; luckily, the place you were most likely to run across them also expected you to have the Float status, so the Molbols' attack always failed.

On a related note, the Golbez fight in that game involves him script-paralyzing the party and then killing everyone but Cecil. You can avoid the paralysis (but not the kills) by putting any status on Cecil, such as poisoned, frog, or Piggy. In the randomizer, players who know Golbez is coming up will generally cast Pig on their melee characters and Size on their casters, since the former doesn't reduce melee damage and the latter still permits spellcasting.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So are centipedes a known horrifying thing in Japanese culture, or is it just one guy at From software that went hog wild on horrifying centipedes in Sekiro?

Because if it's the latter, that person needs a promotion, they understand what they're doing.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fromsoft uses centipedes to represent the concept of kegare, which is basically impurity of the soul manifesting physically. Bloodborne has a literal version of this, the vermin you squish refer to the concept in the original Japanese text ('defiled' enemies are how it got translated). Sekiro is hugely about the concept of kegare.

edit: And not just turning you into a big beastie either, it's a bit more general than that. Impurity manifesting physically can imply lots of things from how often you groom to how you act in spiritual places to your actions themselves, the idea being that these are all monsters you make yourself into when you apply it to people. imo that's why Bloodborne speculates on whether the vermin are real or not- to poke you with the idea that there isn't anything that FORCES you be impure, you just decided to be.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 06:47 on Mar 21, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
So basically yea Japanese folklore totally comprehends that centipedes are horrifying monsters, don't worry

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

CJacobs posted:

edit: And not just turning you into a big beastie either, it's a bit more general than that. Impurity manifesting physically can imply lots of things from how often you groom to how you act in spiritual places to your actions themselves, the idea being that these are all monsters you make yourself into when you apply it to people. imo that's why Bloodborne speculates on whether the vermin are real or not- to poke you with the idea that there isn't anything that FORCES you be impure, you just decided to be.

Wasn't there a whole social class of people who were forced to be impure because there's impure stuff that needs doing and guess who's job it is ?

Oibignose
Jun 30, 2007

tasty yellow beef
Not sure how accurate it is but in the novel Shogun this group of people are referred to as ETA. They deal with corpses and sewage and other nasty business. They are shunned but respected by the rest of society.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Lone Badger posted:

Wasn't there a whole social class of people who were forced to be impure because there's impure stuff that needs doing and guess who's job it is ?

That's hosed up! I dunno much about its real world history, but if you apply the term broadly it certainly could be used that way. A really modern example would be how jerks look down on garbagemen, or are scared of morticians. They (the jerks) would be the ones accusing those people of harboring kegare.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:47 on Mar 21, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
'Untouchable' castes are a thing particularly in that part of the world, yeah.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
It's not just fromsoft too, Team Ninja does it in Nioh with the boss I'm currently onto. The worst boss in the game though, so apparently once I'm past this terrible bit it's all uphill from here.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

'Untouchable' castes are a thing particularly in that part of the world, yeah.

Not just there, either. In medieval Europe, executioners occupied a similar position. They were respected enough to be paid reasonably well and considered necessary, but also kept strictly separate from the rest of society. They lived on the outskirts of towns, had designated separated seats in church and taverns, could only marry within their own trade (or other similarly ostracized trades), and so on. It's pretty fascinating, really.

Perestroika has a new favorite as of 12:27 on Mar 21, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!

Perestroika posted:

Not just there, either. In medieval Europe, executioners occupied a similar position. They were respected enough to be paid reasonably well and considered necessary, but also kept strictly separate from the rest of society. They lived on the outskirts of towns, had designated separated seats in church and taverns, could only marry within their won trade (or other similarly ostracized trades), and so on. It's pretty fascinating, really.

I am wondering if there's real life basis in the Sandman comic where a condemned criminal in a town with no executioner, or in this case hangman, may be offered the job of hangman as basically a stay of execution for as long as he's willing and able to perform the role.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I am wondering if there's real life basis in the Sandman comic where a condemned criminal in a town with no executioner, or in this case hangman, may be offered the job of hangman as basically a stay of execution for as long as he's willing and able to perform the role.

On the one hand, that's too crazy to be true, at the same time... considering how hosed up someone would probably become doing executions long-term, it makes sense to have a convicted criminal do it.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Nioh too. Not only the centipede boss in that one cave but my least favorite boss in the entire game is a half man/half centipede knight who will absolutely wreck your poo poo in seconds.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Resident Evil, also. In 7 they crawl all over and are gross and icky and hell Marguerite Baker has one in her throat, but in the punch-man DLC Uncle Joe chows down on them as healing items because he's just that badass. Near the end of the DLC you pass the very spot you're ambushed by hundreds of centipedes in the main game and they're still there and you can grab like 5 of them for free heals.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Not a historian but this happened as far as I've heard. Sometimes you could just get picked to be a hangman and that means that your family can't do anything else because no one will accept your kids as apprentices etc. I read a very interesting book called The Faithful Executioner which is a significantly fleshed out work diary of a German Executioner in the 1500s. His father had a regular "decent" job but the local baron needed someone to hang a dude so he just picked a guy from the crowd and it happened to be this executioners father. He spent his entire life being as good at his job as possible while trying to re-integrate his family to regular society by being a decent person and a skilled healer.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Derrick The Executioner, the intro boss at the Tower of London in Nioh, is a real person who in fact fell under such a circumstance.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
In Core Keeper if your tool breaks and you have a spare the game will automatically swap it over for ya. No more keeping 3 spares on your hotbar.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Cleretic posted:

So are centipedes a known horrifying thing in Japanese culture, or is it just one guy at From software that went hog wild on horrifying centipedes in Sekiro?

Because if it's the latter, that person needs a promotion, they understand what they're doing.

Not just Sekiro, seems like almost all recent FromSoft games have some kind of centipede-esque enemy.

Dark Souls 1 had the Centipede Demon boss.
Dark Souls 3 (I think) had some cellar area filled with waist deep water that had weird monsters that were like half woman, half house centipede.
Bloodborne had the Celestial Centipedes.
Not familiar with Sekiro, but apparently that has them, as well.
And in Elden Ring there's both centipede-people (i.e. centipede like monsters that are human sized that LOVE to shoot a bunch of bullshit at you) AND people-centipedes (i.e., a large centipede type monster. but each "segment" is a human torso.)

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
gently caress the human centipede dudes that crawl out of portals and scream while hitting you 50 times

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Brandfarlig posted:

Not a historian but this happened as far as I've heard. Sometimes you could just get picked to be a hangman and that means that your family can't do anything else because no one will accept your kids as apprentices etc. I read a very interesting book called The Faithful Executioner which is a significantly fleshed out work diary of a German Executioner in the 1500s. His father had a regular "decent" job but the local baron needed someone to hang a dude so he just picked a guy from the crowd and it happened to be this executioners father. He spent his entire life being as good at his job as possible while trying to re-integrate his family to regular society by being a decent person and a skilled healer.

Yeah, Frantz Schmidt. He actually wrote a letter to emperor Ferdinand 2nd after a botched execution where he asked to be free from being an executioner. The emperor granted his wish and he and one of his sons became doctors. After his death he got the greatest honor than any executioner ever got: He was described as a doctor and not an executioner.

Drawing of Frantz Schmidt

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Kitfox88 posted:

gently caress the human centipede dudes that crawl out of portals and scream while hitting you 50 times

They tend to move straight towards you and are locked into their attack animation for a long time when they do that charge, so if you roll out of the way, you can just beat on them until they die.

They are also super vulnerable to healing magic. It deals a ton of damage and puts them into a prone/crit-vulnerable state.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

You know how in God of War Kratos just punches down into treasure chests in a badass funny, over the top way?

In Immortals Fenyx Rising, Fenyx occasionally does a similar animation, winding up to punch down into the chest...before clutching their injured hand, shaking off the pain and popping it open with their other hand. Makes me smile every time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Bogmonster posted:

You know how in God of War Kratos just punches down into treasure chests in a badass funny, over the top way?

In Immortals Fenyx Rising, Fenyx occasionally does a similar animation, winding up to punch down into the chest...before clutching their injured hand, shaking off the pain and popping it open with their other hand. Makes me smile every time.

Similarly, one of the cute little things in Breath of the Wild is Link jumping around holding one foot in pain if you make him kick open a chest while running around in his skivvies :v:

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!

Bogmonster posted:

All of the chest animations in that game are fun. I think my favorite is when you elbow drop the chest.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
I really enjoyed Immortals Fenyx Rising. It is my firm opinion that all open world games like that should have a glider or wingsuit. This is sorely missing from Assassin's Creed Valhalla, which is otherwise a good 'Stabbing the English' simulator.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The first door code you enter in Guardians of the Galaxy is 0451.

Barudak has a new favorite as of 07:11 on Mar 23, 2022

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Rockman Reserve posted:

I found a tiny surface ruin in Elden Ring that had one of those giant bears in it, I managed to get the gently caress out of the ruins before it finished its standing animation and figured it was trapped and I could plink it with arrows or something.

Then it attacked and knocked down an entire wall and chased me across a field. Environmental destruction in a Souls game….:allears:

Finally remembered to post the screenshot I took when I discovered this fact.

Also the first time I saw those loving archer marionettes

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So, a weird question: What non-English/original developer language dubs have been exceptionally good or interesting to people?

Recently the Final Fantasy VI pixel remaster made the decision to dub the opera scene in every supported language. For the most part it sounds amateurish but charming (which was the intention, since Celes isn't a trained singer), but the Italian voice actor just loving went for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PO25BooQnuI

My friend also recommended the Spanish dub for Sekiro; apparently Spanish voice actors use really similar techniques to Japanese ones, so the voice acting fits well while still giving it a very unique sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5_YQRop_c&t=279s

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I couldn't imagine playing Nioh in English. Nioh 2 defaulted to it originally, I am not sure if it still does, and it completely ruins the tone. Just, entirely.

edit: It doesn't jive with your suggestion but The Evil Within's a fascinating example of the reverse. The first game has japanese voice acting you can toggle as it's a Shinji Mikami joint but the game takes place in a western as hell grindhouse fantasy so it doesn't really fit at all to use it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 10:41 on Mar 23, 2022

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Alhazred posted:

Yeah, Frantz Schmidt. He actually wrote a letter to emperor Ferdinand 2nd after a botched execution where he asked to be free from being an executioner. The emperor granted his wish and he and one of his sons became doctors. After his death he got the greatest honor than any executioner ever got: He was described as a doctor and not an executioner.

Drawing of Frantz Schmidt

You don't get much personal writing from Franz but I found his annoyance at an older couple refusing to respect the execution process entertaining. It was supposed to be a solemn affair that displays the power of the state and the condemneds repentance (or lack thereof) but these two wouldn't stop bitching at each other and racing towards the gallows.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Cleretic posted:

So, a weird question: What non-English/original developer language dubs have been exceptionally good or interesting to people?

Recently the Final Fantasy VI pixel remaster made the decision to dub the opera scene in every supported language. For the most part it sounds amateurish but charming (which was the intention, since Celes isn't a trained singer), but the Italian voice actor just loving went for it.

My friend also recommended the Spanish dub for Sekiro; apparently Spanish voice actors use really similar techniques to Japanese ones, so the voice acting fits well while still giving it a very unique sound.

Nier Replicant was a standout to me, specifically the PS4 version cause that’s what I played (and technically the PS3 VO isn’t really a dub since it was done right before the Japanese acting), all the acting is solid at worse and Brother Nier’s adult actor is probably one of my favorite performances in a game period at selling someone who’s both earnest and slightly unhinged.

I’m ambivalent on the returning characters overall for Yakuza: Like A Dragon, but I love the main cast in general, they took a lot of time to make LAD’s dub work with stuff like editing the lip flaps around the dub acting and having the actors do some of the heavier story scenes together and it paid off.

Oh, and NEO: The World Ends With You definitely falls into the category of “I enjoyed these characters/story significantly more because of the acting” which is a pleasant surprise considering the lion’s share of the cast are relative newcomers.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I really loved the English dub for Persona 5. I could listen to Ryuji's "For real?!?" all day long.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Souls games rightfully have a reputation for having incredibly good hit boxes, but you never quite appreciate it until you unintentionally dodge an otherwise fatal attack because you did something with an unusual animation at exactly the right moment.

In my instance, ducking right under a horizontal swing from a car sized sword because I used a stomp ability juuuust prior to the end of the attack windup.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

I really loved the English dub for Persona 5. I could listen to Ryuji's "For real?!?" all day long.

Max Mittelman is one of the best VA’s in the business right now

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Riatsala posted:

Souls games rightfully have a reputation for having incredibly good hit boxes, but you never quite appreciate it until you unintentionally dodge an otherwise fatal attack because you did something with an unusual animation at exactly the right moment.

In my instance, ducking right under a horizontal swing from a car sized sword because I used a stomp ability juuuust prior to the end of the attack windup.

Okay but then some enemy does a smash attack that visually has a range of 10 feet but then twenty feet away you're knocked into the air from nothing.

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
I’ve found Dark Souls and Monster Hunter to be the prime examples of both awesome and terrible hitboxes.

Having a monster’s tail barely miss you as you leap over it makes you feel like a golden god.

Being behind a monster and still getting hit by its ‘lunge forwards’ move cause the back of his leg caught you is the opposite.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Resident Evil 4: This specific corridor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfYZgXho-hg

Probably old news for most people but I'm playing though the game in VR for the first time and still crack up whenever Leon decides to go all Devil May Cry out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Okay but then some enemy does a smash attack that visually has a range of 10 feet but then twenty feet away you're knocked into the air from nothing.

yeah dark souls hurtboxes are great, the problem is the hitboxes