Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Needing a new character for my campaign (level 10), wanting to try something out which the DM gave the okay for but need a bit of help/advice.

Basically, I want to a bit overboard with multiclassing. Not like, Barbarian 1/Druid 1/Bard 1/ etc. Just want to see what possible builds I can do by diving into say three to five classes and just taking the front loaded features. Anyone got any recommendations/suggestions for what makes fun/quirky mix-matches?

Also before someone says it, we've already got a Rogue/Ranger/Fighter :v:

EDIT: Feats, Sword Coast, and Xanathar's are being used.

Half-Elf Knowledge Cleric 1/Rogue 1/ Lore Bard 6 to have Expertise in 6 skills, Prodigy feat for another one. Albeit being 2 levels behind you're a Bard so it should be functional as a character :shrug:

Paladin 2 / Hexblade 1 / Dragon Sorc 7 works. It's a Sorcadin except you use Charisma for attacking - just plain Sorcadin is better, however.

Three way multiclasses are hard to justify, nevermind 4-way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

I'm trying to turn this into a character. Currently thinking thief is the best option, but definitely open to suggestions. Level 3, Lizardfolk (obviously), standard array, and access to feats. Xanathar's and UA are fine for the game I'm in. I'd be playing it as a goofy, sneaky type (because what isn't goofy about a crocodile man that sneaks around and stabs people?) with the ability to investigate stuff. I like the fluff in Xanathar's about having an exotic coin collection so I think I'll roll that into the character.

e: Having trouble deciding on dump stat. I know I need Dex and Con, probably Int for investigating? Or would going for Cha be better? Can I dump Str or Wis without making the character useless? I'm not good at this bad game please help.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr. Humalong posted:

I'm trying to turn this into a character. Currently thinking thief is the best option, but definitely open to suggestions. Level 3, Lizardfolk (obviously), standard array, and access to feats. Xanathar's and UA are fine for the game I'm in. I'd be playing it as a goofy, sneaky type (because what isn't goofy about a crocodile man that sneaks around and stabs people?) with the ability to investigate stuff. I like the fluff in Xanathar's about having an exotic coin collection so I think I'll roll that into the character.

e: Having trouble deciding on dump stat. I know I need Dex and Con, probably Int for investigating? Or would going for Cha be better? Can I dump Str or Wis without making the character useless? I'm not good at this bad game please help.
Str can be comfortably dump statted on any character that doesn't attack with strength. Also that guy's way to adorable to dump stat cha :allears:

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Conspiratiorist posted:

Half-Elf Knowledge Cleric 1/Rogue 1/ Lore Bard 6 to have Expertise in 6 skills, Prodigy feat for another one. Albeit being 2 levels behind you're a Bard so it should be functional as a character :shrug:

Paladin 2 / Hexblade 1 / Dragon Sorc 7 works. It's a Sorcadin except you use Charisma for attacking - just plain Sorcadin is better, however.

Three way multiclasses are hard to justify, nevermind 4-way.

That first one would be better with Rogue at first level, gets more skills that way, and I would suggest actually picking up 3 levels of Rogue for Scout to get proficiency and expertise in Nature and Survival. That does mean losing a few more levels of Bard. But Half-Elf Scout Rogue 3, Knowledge Cleric 1, Lore Bard 4 with Prodigy would give you expertise in Nature and Survival, and two more knowledge skills for at least 3 of the 4 knowledge skills, plus 5 more expertises. From there you can take more Bard levels for more spellcasting, or take 3 more rogue levels to get another two expertises. Also if you want to be a skill monkey then going Rogue 6 and picking up Skilled can get you another 3 skills. Lets see skills: Half-Elf 2, Background 2, Prodigy 1, Skilled 3, Scout Rogue 6, knowledge cleric 2, Lore Bard 4. Er whoops that would actually be more skills than there are in the game. Of course if you were to take all this, probably dropping Skilled for something, anything, that gives you 1 skill, and somehow getting to level 11 Rogue would mean you could never roll below a 10 on the d20 for a skill check.

Another way it could eventually go is Half-Elf Scout Rogue 6, Knowledge Cleric 1, Lore Bard 10 and pick up Prodigy. You will never get the never roll below a 10 on a d20 thing but instead have 13 Expertises.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
It seems like Shadow Blade can't be used as your Hex Warrior/Pact of the Blade weapon, right?

Obviously the damage is good on Shadow Blade already, but it'd be tough to have to use a secondary stat to hit as well.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Quixzlizx posted:

It seems like Shadow Blade can't be used as your Hex Warrior/Pact of the Blade weapon, right?

Obviously the damage is good on Shadow Blade already, but it'd be tough to have to use a secondary stat to hit as well.

Shadow Blade is a spell is it not?

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Shadow Blade is a spell is it not?

A spell that creates a sword that counts as a melee weapon. But it also counts as a magic weapon, so I guess it'd take an hour to assign it as a pact weapon.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Please note: Shadow Blade requires Concentration. It's honestly not that great.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
How come there are so many 4e games in The Game Room and no 5e?

I’ve been looking to get into D&D or Pathfinder. Don’t really know which one better fits me. I’ve played a little bit of 5e and 3.5 and had a good time.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zesty posted:

I’ve been looking to get into D&D or Pathfinder. Don’t really know which one better fits me. I’ve played a little bit of 5e and 3.5 and had a good time.

There were a few for a while. The last one was supposed to be Yawning Portal but never got off the ground.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
It got off the ground it just isn't moving very fast.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ryuujin posted:

It got off the ground it just isn't moving very fast.

That surprises me a bit normally your stuff moves pretty quickly.

Also from checking the last update was in October it's super dead.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Dec 17, 2017

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
We haven't actually been posting in the thread much, its mostly been stuff on Roll20 and Discord.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ryuujin posted:

We haven't actually been posting in the thread much, its mostly been stuff on Roll20 and Discord.

Ahh that makes sense.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Zesty posted:

Ironically during the testing there were a tonne of games but the enthusiasm it all kinda petered out when people saw everything the system had to offer.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Zesty posted:

SA in general likes 4e far more then 5e for a wide variety of reasons that can largely be found in the OP.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zesty posted:

People who didn't get started on 5e, or have an option of playing something else besides 5e with their groups, tend to want to play something else, because of 5e's flaws.

The answer to your '5e vs Pathfinder' question depends on what you liked and didn't like about 3.5

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I find 5e better then Pathfinder and have played both. 5e is the simpler and more balanced of the two systems.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

I find 5e better then Pathfinder and have played both. 5e is the simpler and more balanced of the two systems.

I’ve only been reading this thread for a few months and I knew exactly what this post was going to say before I read it.

E: So there’s some content to this post: I’ve played with 5e for a bit now, and I’d like to take a look at other systems. Should I work my way backwards and start with 4e? Keep in mind that before June of this year I had never touched a tabletop RPG system beyond playing KotOR 1 and 2 as a teenager.

Mr. Humalong fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 18, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

kingcom posted:

Ironically during the testing there were a tonne of games but the enthusiasm it all kinda petered out when people saw everything the system had to offer.

Oh yeah? What sort of issues?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Mr. Humalong posted:

I’ve only been reading this thread for a few months and I knew exactly what this post was going to say before I read it.

E: So there’s some content to this post: I’ve played with 5e for a bit now, and I’d like to take a look at other systems. Should I work my way backwards and start with 4e? Keep in mind that before June of this year I had never touched a tabletop RPG system beyond playing KotOR 1 and 2 as a teenager.

If you want something like 5e but better there's Shadow of the Demon Lord.
4e is okay in the context of community support within SA, but if you want something like it excised of the trappings of DnD there's Strike!
If you want a look at a different fantasy system there's 13th Age.
If you want stuff that's more narrative driven there's Burning Wheel and Apocalypse World.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Humalong posted:

There's really no inherent value to revisiting older D&D editions for their own sake. Each edition is different, but you'll want to play them for those features and design traits.

4e is the most well-intentioned and deliberately-designed form of the game since. The other game I'd recommend is the Basic Set, which captures a lot of the "easy to play and simple" zeitgeist that 5e aspires to have, and largely succeeds at it better.

Zesty posted:

Perhaps the most notable marker of where the 5e playtest was going was when someone pointed out that the test adventure's fight against 20 rats would be thoroughly unpleasant to play out, since they all gain Advantage on attacks if they're adjacent to each other, which means rolling 2d20 dozens of times per round.

WOTC's response was to shut down the thread and ignore it.

EDIT: another very demoralizing outcome was watching Fighters lose damage-on-a-miss, turning their Superiority Dice recovery from per-round to per-encounter, turning Advantage on all saves into limited use Advantage on saves, losing a "Last Stand" ability, and losing an "auto kill all enemies under a certain HP" ability.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Dec 18, 2017

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Seriously. It was like they didn't really want feedback from the playtest, they just wanted it to go viral.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Mr. Humalong posted:

Risus:the Anything and Lasers and Feelings are both available for free. They'll give you an understand of what a rules-light RPG actually looks like, before you start thinking that 100 page RPGs are rules light.

If you want something much stranger, Thou Art But A Warrior is a historical RPG that is radically different from the D&D games, though it costs actual money.

If you want to spend $100-$200 Gloomhaven brings some exciting mechanics to the dungeon crawling genre. Though Gloomhaven a board game rather than an RPG. I'd recommend reading the Gloomhaven developer diaries anyway, to understand what goes into designing a dungeon crawler.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 18, 2017

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

So turns out casting enlarge person on a Goliath frenzy barbarian is a recipe for hilarity.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Mr. Humalong posted:

Thats a pretty open question. From games like D&D (d20) systems, to classless systems with very light and loose rules (like FATE) or super rules walls (Shadowrun).

If you want a star wars theme I'd check out Edge of the Empire by Fantasy Flight Games. They use special dice that have symbols instead of numbers, everyone hates this violently when they look at them and after playing a session are usually on board after they realise what it lets you do. Grab one of the starter sets as they are really good for teaching you how to play and what the game is going for and pretty simple and fun adventures to boot.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zesty posted:

We traded Wizard supremacy for Bard supremacy but it's still the same old caster supremacy that's plagued every edition but 4th.

There's also honestly not that many ways to customize a character beyond multiclassing, which isn't appropriate for every concept. By and large once you've made your character and chosen your subclass, that's it. Feats are in direct competition with ASIs, a truly bizarre design decision, so you tend not to take a whole lot of those.

The math holds up reasonably well until level 10 then kinda falls apart. The game is simplistic, which is great for new players, but there's also honestly not a whole lot of ways to engage with the system if you're not a...drum roll...spellcaster!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So if I’m not interested in a more board gamey aspect of 4e, should I just go with Pathfinder to avoid the WotC led flaws?

Does Pathfinder have any big issues?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

gradenko_2000 posted:

Perhaps the most notable marker of where the 5e playtest was going was when someone pointed out that the test adventure's fight against 20 rats would be thoroughly unpleasant to play out, since they all gain Advantage on attacks if they're adjacent to each other, which means rolling 2d20 dozens of times per round.

WOTC's response was to shut down the thread and ignore it.

They changed this however. Rat Swarms replaced the 20 Rats. With only one big Giant Rat.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Zesty posted:

So if I’m not interested in a more board gamey aspect of 4e, should I just go with Pathfinder to avoid the WotC led flaws?

Pathfinder didn't fix any of the fundamental 3.X flaws. If anything, Paizo thinks wizard supremacy is a benefit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Zesty posted:

Nah. The flaws they are explaining are much bigger in Pathfinder which is a spin off of D&D 3.5. (Which while I liked it has some flawed disign and was very unbalanced.)This board as a whole is pretty anti 5e. So it's not the best place to ask about it's positives. (And I am terrible at explaining things. So I can't really give you much ether.)

I myself would advise giving 5e a try. See what you like and don't like. It's the most popular game of it's type and lots of people play it so it should not be too hard to find people to play it with. Online or In person. (Even my dinky small town has several groups.) Most of the flaws the people have brought up don't tend to really come up all that often in play from my experience.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 18, 2017

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’ll keep that in mind. Thank you.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
5e isn't Good, but it's Fine.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

5e is... serviceable.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
5e exists

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I’m not super huge into this hobby, but it seems to me like the DM can change anything they want to make it work. So eh?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Zesty posted:

I’m not super huge into this hobby, but it seems to me like the DM can change anything they want to make it work. So eh?

http://dmdavid.com/tag/do-you-know-that-good-dm-people-talk-about-i-hate-that-guy/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zesty posted:

So if I’m not interested in a more board gamey aspect of 4e,

"Boardgamey" is a meaningless descriptor. If you want to hit a dude in 4e, you roll a d20, add modifiers, and hit if the result is equal to or higher than the target's Armor Class.

Which is exactly the same as how 3e did it, how Pathfinder does it, and how 5e does it.

If you want to cross a rope-bridge across an expanse and leave it up to chance whether you're successful in doing so, you roll a d20, add modifiers, and hit if the result is equal to or higher than the DC set by the GM.

Which is exactly the same as how 3e did it, how Pathfinder does it, and how 5e does it.

An average human moves at 30 feet per combat round in all four games.

Zesty posted:

should I just go with Pathfinder to avoid the WotC led flaws?

Pathfinder does not "fix" any of the issues that 3e did.

If anything, 4e was the edition where the designers looked at all the problems 3e had and set about to address them, and they were fairly successful in doing so.

Zesty posted:

It's like selling you a computer game with modding tools. Just because the game has modding tools doesn't mean you can excuse the unmodded game for being not-good right out of the box.

For one thing, just because the DM can change it doesn't mean that they know what to change, or how to change it.

For another, the expectation is that you paid for 20, 30, or 40 dollars to the publishers of this book so you can get to playing without having to redesign stuff in the back-end. That was their job already.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MonsterEnvy posted:

Mr. Humalong posted:

I've only been reading this thread for a few months and I knew exactly what this post was going to say before I read it.
I mean, they're not wrong, it's just also the definition of damning with faint praise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Babylon Astronaut posted:

Seriously. It was like they didn't really want feedback from the playtest, they just wanted it to go viral.
I am shocked, nay, dismayed, at this outrageous libel. Next you'll be implying the same thing about the good folks at Paizo Publishing!