Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.

Agreed posted:

23, now.

Have you ever put every fuzz and distortion pedal in a chain with all the gain knobs turned up full and wailed on the top e string to try and make people's heads explode as they drive past your house? I know that's the first thing I would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

Concatenation posted:

Have you ever put every fuzz and distortion pedal in a chain with all the gain knobs turned up full and wailed on the top e string to try and make people's heads explode as they drive past your house? I know that's the first thing I would do.

Wouldn't it end up sounding like some horrible white noise?

OstehQvel
May 7, 2007

Zakalwe posted:

What.

http://www.thomann.de/ie/search_dir.html?xsid=7ba0135904a643c4cd6d1bbbc98da7df&sw=squier+bass&x=0&y=0

Thomann deliver nearly everywhere in Europe and are reliable.

€300

Thanks :) . That's a good deal, but Norwegian customs still gently caress it up for me. It'll end up being €330+25% customs, which is almost the local price anyway. If I'm ever buying more expensive gear, I'll either get it in the US or pick it up in the EU. I'm gonna see if any of the stores here have it in stock today, and try to haggle myself to a good price.

citizenlowell
Sep 25, 2003

ignore alien orders

IanTheM posted:

Wouldn't it end up sounding like some horrible white noise?

Are you sure you don't mean awesome, head-exploding white noise?

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

I picked up a used CE-20 last week just to play around with and ended up really liking it. Here's what I'm playing with right now. The looper is a DIY jobber, just because as much as I like playing with pedals, it's good to get that "right into the amp" sound. The only thing I'm thinking about switching around is putting the Muff after the Crunchbox and OCD.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!

Dragon Eye Morrison posted:

If by "GK guitar" you mean a guitar with the roland GK pickup, they're all rather lackluster regardless of the interface you use....

I like them...

It's all preference....

I believe on that guitar he has the GHOST module with Hexpander output....

Yeah, I've been set on having a TOM style GHOST with the hexpander pre-amp installed, and as far as I know they output the same 13-pin connection as the Roland GK units, which I'd like to bypass totally and go straight into Logic/Ableton using a GK->MIDI GI-20 or Axon AX-50 or similar...

Rifter17 posted:

So perhaps raise your budget $50 and nab one of these instead: http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/AX50/ .

Thanks!

King Crimson posted:

If you're interested in building one yourself, Here's a big overview from someone who installed a Kaoss Pad in a Les Paul. It's pretty much what previous people have said: it's a MIDI controller that let's Matt Bellamy control a couple parameters that make really cool Sci-Fi noises.

Holy poo poo that's intense...

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days

bisticles posted:

The looper is a DIY jobber, just because as much as I like playing with pedals, it's good to get that "right into the amp" sound.

Nice setup; would you happen to have the schematics for the looper?

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
There's a bunch of these online, this one is nice.

Helldump Immunity
Sep 11, 2001

pretty much rollin with the dad farm these days

the wizards beard posted:

There's a bunch of these online, this one is nice.

Great, thanks!

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Yup, that's exactly what I did. It's pretty straightforward, but if you plan on doing one, I highly recommend wrapping the contact area of the switches with electrical tape or covering it with hot glue or something, since it's pretty close to the patch jacks, and it's pretty easy to get a short when you step on things really hard.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

bisticles posted:

I picked up a used CE-20 last week just to play around with and ended up really liking it. Here's what I'm playing with right now. The looper is a DIY jobber, just because as much as I like playing with pedals, it's good to get that "right into the amp" sound. The only thing I'm thinking about switching around is putting the Muff after the Crunchbox and OCD.

I must know if that cable routing box thingey is available retail or some kind of homebrew thing.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
I went with my roommate/former band-mate up to Guitar Center today, he was playing one of the new Fender Jags. I then spotted this beauty and put it in his hands:

Absolutely beautiful tone. God I love p90s, makes me wish I still played guitar.

Dzus
Jun 18, 2007

I have had people walk out on me before, but not... when I was being so charming.
Hello again, thread. I have a problem. :(

1995 Kramer Disciple body, completely unfinished. I've been wanting a body for the sole purpose of having my coworker paint it. I was looking at a Warmoth 7 string, but I liked the style (and price) of this guy better. Its one of the Aluminum Neck models, and was made in Neptune, New Jersey. Bodystyle reminds me of a Fender Tornado a bit, I'm hoping to get an original neck for it though.

Could anyone direct me to the pickup thread, if there is one?

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge

Dzus posted:

Hello again, thread. I have a problem.

Could anyone direct me to the pickup thread, if there is one?

A lovely problem to have. Nice looking body. We did have a pickup thread, but with search down... :( Might I suggest a Seymour Duncan JB in the Bridge and a Seymour Duncan Jazz in the neck? A very popular set that covers a decent amount of styles. You can also get classy and purchase a zebra set like me.

~$130 on ebay

I have mine coil tapped, but I rarely use that option.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

hamaien posted:

I must know if that cable routing box thingey is available retail or some kind of homebrew thing.

That's the DIY looper thingy. It's basically five 3PDT switches with the lugs soldered so that the signal gets routed either straight across to the next switch, or out through the loop. I got the parts from PedalPartsPlus and took about two hours assembling everything.

It cost me about $75, but if you don't feel like soldering, you can get a high-quality premade one for $125. They have other configurations as well. Some people prefer to make a simpler two switch pedal, with one pedal for tuner output and another to bypass everything. With a soldering iron, the world is your oyster.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

Along with many people here, I have a problem. I'm trying to get my way to having fewer guitars, and also looking for something with a nice single coil sound to replace my humbuckers, but this showed up, and I couldn't say no.

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

I got the semi-hollow bug and this Ibanez Artcore AM73 seemed to fit the bill just right.

dissin department
Apr 7, 2007

"I has music dysleskia."

Agreed posted:

23, now.
since when did Tom Morello start posting here :confused:

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Tehdude posted:

Tom Morello's rig is shockingly simple, and hasn't changed for years, actually.

E: Waffleimages is being gay, but he only has 5 pedals.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Tehdude posted:

24, now.

It was a really good deal, and it's my favorite digital high gain distortion pedal. It has a sharp edge to its sound that I think is pretty pleasing for certain things. The Boss Metalcore has nothing on it, despite costing substantially more, and I got this for well under half its normal price of $90.

It's funny, I really hate the Digitech RP and GNX modeling units (haven't tried the newest rack one, though if it's using the same algorithms I probably wouldn't like it much either), but their other, more single-purposed products based on the AudioDNA and AudioDNA-2 chip can sound really good. Like the newest HarmonyMan they've got, I love that thing and will probably be picking one up soon.

I'll get some clips of the Metal Master up when it gets here. It gets a bad reputation because a lot of young kids will buy 'em and use them with their Fender practice amp or Crate monstrosity and scoop the gently caress out of the midrange, but into a good tube amp and with a graphic EQ after it, it can get some surprisingly authentic high gain sounds.

Engine Fortegue
Feb 1, 2004

strap me down they must sedate me

poke me prod me irritate me

Agreed posted:

24, now.

Sup Digitech MMX buddy :hf: I've had this pedal for years and I love it. It was totally worth full price whenever I bought it, if you snagged one for half that you're gonna love it. :waycool:

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Agreed posted:

24, now.

Take a big ole' group shot. And clips of everything plugged into everything else. Everything turned up.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Engine Fortegue posted:

Sup Digitech MMX buddy :hf: I've had this pedal for years and I love it. It was totally worth full price whenever I bought it, if you snagged one for half that you're gonna love it. :waycool:

Yeah, it's pretty much the best digital high gain distortion pedal around to my ears. Very nice high gain tones, sounds really good through a good amp.

the wizards beard posted:

Take a big ole' group shot. And clips of everything plugged into everything else. Everything turned up.

Group shot I can do, but I will not condemn us to hell with that unholy monstrosity of sonic mayhem.

Besides, it would just be a lot of white noise with an ugly square wave any time I plucked a string, assuming the feedback didn't blow up my tubes.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Forgive lovely pic, but was out of natural daylight, and don't have any directional lamps unpacked since I moved in:

Apparently, it's an Epiphone/Gibson Flying V, and it's a really short-scale version (about 19"). Great cosmetic shape overall, pickup seems to work just fine, etc. Got a small chip off the nut, but doesn't seem to be effecting the E-string. Only problem is that the intonation is off (goes sharp when I go from octave harmonic to pressing the octave fret). The strings aren't individually compensated, but the bridge itself is comped, and overall adjustable, so I might try screwing the screws in to push the bridge back a nudge.

I really wanted a short scale for playing Open D, since it's a big reach across the fifths on a full-scale. This was $125 at a local pawnshop, and I have 5 days to return it. What say you? Keep and use for Open D droning, jigs and reels, etc., or take back to the pawnbroker and put that $125 to a better short-scale guitar?

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Forgive lovely pic, but was out of natural daylight, and don't have any directional lamps unpacked since I moved in:

That's called a Vee Wee, if you want to do some googling for more information. They're supposedly not complete junk, though definitely a bit cheesy. $125 for one with any sort of damage sounds like you paid too much, considering they were about $140 new with a gig bag and battery-powered amp, and could be had for around $60 on closeout when they were discontinued.

If it were me I'd probably try to find one for less on craigslist or pick up a new squier mini strat for a hundred bucks or so, but it might be worth just holding on to that one if you end up liking it and don't have good resources for finding another short-scale guitar.

edit: there's a 17" scale version of the new Red Special called the Mini May that looks pretty cool ($200)

Chows fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 19, 2008

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Chows posted:

That's called a Vee Wee, if you want to do some googling for more information. They're supposedly not complete junk, though definitely a bit cheesy...

If it were me I'd probably try to find one for less on craigslist or pick up a new squier mini strat for a hundred bucks or so, but it might be worth just holding on to that one if you end up liking it and don't have good resources for finding another short-scale guitar.

No harm done, I have 5 days to try it out. I'll take it back to the shop then.

Followed the link for the Brian May, but if I'm going to spend $200 on new, I might as well find a decent short-scale used for $400ish.

I know there was a huge thread on short-scale guitars about a year ago. Anyone got a rough, rough summary? Looking for something with short scale so I can do open tunings without having to stretch my hand hugely from D to A. And decent options, used in the $400ish range or less? Hopefully by that price there'll be a few options that are semi-decent.

Zakalwe
May 12, 2002

Wanted For:
  • Terrorism
  • Kidnapping
  • Poor Taste
  • Unlawful Carnal Gopher Knowledge
Duct tape the shotgun to the guitar. Also shoot the guitar.

Chows
Apr 13, 2002

And decent options, used in the $400ish range or less? Hopefully by that price there'll be a few options that are semi-decent.

$400 might be a bit tough for these but you could look into the older short-scale Fenders. Mustang, Musicmaster, Duo-Sonic, Jaguar et al. They're mostly 24" scale, which is quite a bit longer than the 20" or so in those children's, but maybe enough shorter than standard Fender or Gibson for your purposes? There were some 22.5" Mustangs but they didn't sell well and are presumably pretty rare.

There was a mexican reissue of the Duo-Sonic in the 90s that you can probably find for around $200, and if you're lucky it might be possible to find a used japanese Jaguar for close to $400--hopefully Handen wanders in here and lets us know if that's reasonable at all.

Houston Rockets
Apr 15, 2006

Chows posted:

$400 might be a bit tough for these but you could look into the older short-scale Fenders. Mustang, Musicmaster, Duo-Sonic, Jaguar et al. They're mostly 24" scale, which is quite a bit longer than the 20" or so in those children's, but maybe enough shorter than standard Fender or Gibson for your purposes? There were some 22.5" Mustangs but they didn't sell well and are presumably pretty rare.

There was a mexican reissue of the Duo-Sonic in the 90s that you can probably find for around $200, and if you're lucky it might be possible to find a used japanese Jaguar for close to $400--hopefully Handen wanders in here and lets us know if that's reasonable at all.

Squier just reissued the Duo-Sonic again for $279. The classic vibes are supposed to be really great guitars.

7 Bowls of Wrath
Mar 30, 2007
Thats so metal.

bisticles posted:

Nice board, did you do the TB box for convenience? I mean, alot of the pedals seem like they are true bypass already (OCD, crunchbox, MXR...).

glad to see you like the CE-20, not my cup of tea though, just too "blah" from what i was looking for.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Zakalwe posted:

Duct tape the shotgun to the guitar. Also shoot the guitar.

I actually once did that with a really lovely 1950s Japan-made classical guitar. Horrendous junk, a good 3/4 step off at the octave. Got it at a yard sale for $5 before I knew any better. Tried ripping the frets out and going fretless, got to be more hassle than it was worth, so my buddy and I took it out into the California hills and shot it with an SKS. It's a pretty bitchin' way to get rid of junk gear.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
Gallien Krueger 1001RB-II.

I can finally keep up with the guitarists in my band. Life is good.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

7 Bowls of Wrath posted:

Nice board, did you do the TB box for convenience? I mean, alot of the pedals seem like they are true bypass already (OCD, crunchbox, MXR...).

glad to see you like the CE-20, not my cup of tea though, just too "blah" from what i was looking for.

Mostly for convenience, but when the board was a lot bigger, there was a definite loss of sound when all of the pedals were plugged in. I'm just a huge gadget nerd, and it seemed like it'd be a fun project, too. I'm actually thinking of downsizing the looper to 3 switches (tuner/boost/comp) to cut down on the wiring, and running the phaser/chorus/delay in the effects loop of my amp.

The only models I really use on the CE-20 are the Dimension D and "Analog" ones. I use it as a subtle effect, so "blah" is cool with me.

CardinalBiggles
Jul 27, 2007
Just got this:

Went to a local bass shop with the intent of checking out a G&L Tribute L2000, but the owner talked me into this one. It's really easy to get any tone from growly to thumpy. And the one I got is in "Antique Burst"(kind of like a Tobacco Burst), which Yamaha says doesn't exist.

As an added bonus, any time I need a setup I can bring it into that shop and they'll do it for free, and any strings I buy from them are 1/2 price. Overall, an awesome deal.

Jimix
Jun 20, 2001

drat that bass is pretty rad, its almost like a toned down alembic.

I think my next purchase is going to be some graphtech ghost saddles now that they make them for wilkinson bridges :cool:

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?ProductID=54&CurrencyID=2

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL

Jimix posted:

drat that bass is pretty rad, its almost like a toned down alembic.

I think my next purchase is going to be some graphtech ghost saddles now that they make them for wilkinson bridges :cool:

http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?ProductID=54&CurrencyID=2

drat, I wish they made Floyd saddles.

edit: http://www.graphtech.com/products.html?SubCategoryID=28 gently caress thats a lot of money for MIDI divebombs

the wizards beard fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 19, 2008

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:

I actually once did that with a really lovely 1950s Japan-made classical guitar. Horrendous junk, a good 3/4 step off at the octave. Got it at a yard sale for $5 before I knew any better. Tried ripping the frets out and going fretless, got to be more hassle than it was worth, so my buddy and I took it out into the California hills and shot it with an SKS. It's a pretty bitchin' way to get rid of junk gear.

What'd you shoot the SKS with? :rimshot:

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
Just got here today, about a half hour ago:

Now for the agonizing wait until I can take it home and plug it in. Besides the obvious, I'd say the most unique feature of this guitar is how goddamn light it is- way less than my ash tele.

edit: Forgot to mention what exactly it is: Les Paul Standard Blonde Beauty!

the wizards beard
Apr 15, 2007
Reppin

4 LIFE 4 REAL
That maple neck is absolutely gorgeous.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
I'd do awful things to that guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MajorMajor
Nov 11, 2005

Some people say you are Henry Fonda.

Carbohydrates posted:

edit: Forgot to mention what exactly it is: Les Paul Standard Blonde Beauty!

That is stunningly beautiful. Congrats!