Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
visuvius
Sep 24, 2007
sta da moor
you're a monster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
If facilitating a sea monster makes me a monster, then so be it

owns.

e: I hope this fucker comes in pink/purple like the coralline

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Apr 1, 2015

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

That angler is pretty drat cute.

I feel like a monster even cleaning the glass on my tank. I'm probably killing dozens of pods and whatever else.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Warsteiner posted:

That angler is pretty drat cute.

I feel like a monster even cleaning the glass on my tank. I'm probably killing dozens of pods and whatever else.

Anglers ARE goddamn cool I mean look at this dude:

https://youtu.be/4G3t0SHHzwo

I saw him all frilled up at a LFS, there was another one same species without all the frills in another tank but this guy's the cutest. He was staring at the wrasse and dwarf angels in the cubes next to his and getting just so frustrated.

Fucker grows to like 10" tho, so pretty much only a specimen tank would do for him. I hope somebody cool picked him up and not a Darla.

The best part is when they come to rest they tip forward and look so sad.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 1, 2015

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
My mrs wants a warty angler. Have a 94litre all in one I am gonna set up for one but not sure what else he can live with. Presumably anything he can eat he will so shrimp, garden eels and other fish are pretty much out :( I really want some garden eels.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

thegasman2000 posted:

My mrs wants a warty angler. Have a 94litre all in one I am gonna set up for one but not sure what else he can live with. Presumably anything he can eat he will so shrimp, garden eels and other fish are pretty much out :( I really want some garden eels.

Any shrimp or fish that can fit in his mouth is a goner. It doesn't even necessarily have to be smaller/shorter than the angler, they're perfectly happy to let half a fish dangle out of the mouth while they try to digest it. It's a bad idea, though, because according to lore too big of prey and it will rot from the inside and poison the angler to death.

Anglers are not safe communal fish at all.

thegasman2000
Feb 12, 2005
Update my TFLC log? BOLLOCKS!
/
:backtowork:
I want a garden eel tank and she wants an angler... That's another tank I need to ebay then ;) working at a lfs has some real benefits :)

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOo2XxiQGrs

As I am a monster, here's a terrible video (taken under only blue "moonlight" LEDs) of the angler taking a "dalmatian" molly.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Bought and set up an Innovative Marine Fusion 10 for the mollies and their fry. The price was right and the quality seems reasonable.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
I've heard nothing but good things about the IM nano tanks. Not sure where to get them up here in Canada though.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Also moved the clowns from the tank the angler is in. That was a hell of an long operation:

1) Use tank lighting at night to disorient clowns from main tank
2) Net them into bucket of salt water
3) Put angler into plastic jar
4) Drain angler tank
5) Net clowns
6) Put these clowns in main tank
7) Pull out carpet nem (oops, let the crab escape into the rockwork)
8) Put carpet nem in main tank
9) Refill angler tank
10) Put angler back in

Had to first relocate the angler because there was just too much risk of having the clowns wander near him while I was chasing them down with a net. That would have been an expensive meal, and also probably resulted in a dead angler. The lawnmower blenny I'm gonna leave in there because I don't care.

The clowns from the main tank are going to the store today.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Apr 4, 2015

big dig
Sep 11, 2001

Cowboys > Ninjas

TKIY posted:

I've heard nothing but good things about the IM nano tanks. Not sure where to get them up here in Canada though.

We get poo poo here in Canada.

I'm getting back into Reef tank keeping after about 10 years of fresh water and everything cool I find on the interwebs I can't find here or it is 'out of stock' on canadian supply sites.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So, I'm at my wits end. A while back I had posted my tank, overrun with hair algae, may ring a bell or two. Fast forward a couple months and almost $700 later. New tank, new rock, new sand, pumps, new skimmer, new everything. I scrubbed all the rock that had coral on it as best as I could in a mixture of water and H2O2. We ended up using 2 old rocks, maybe. Now it's back again! I've tested everything, my salt water, my RO water, my tank water and it all comes back clear.

I've cut the feedings to half a cube every other day, and have always rinsed frozen food. At this point I've been doing 5-10 gallons a week worth of water changes. I'm running chemipure elite, carbon and dosing alk and calcium every other day. Now here's where the fun begins. To combat the algae, here's what I've done: Broadcast dosed H2O2, turned the temp down to 76, cut the lights by 3 hours, manual removal, scrubbing the rocks that I can almost daily with a toothbrush, dosing NoPO,x daily, dosing magnesium (huge doses) daily, the magnesium is above 1600 at this point. The only thing I haven't done is setup a phosban reactor, the thought of something outside the tank freaks me out.

I've pretty much tried everything that anyone on any forum has ever recommended, as well as everything my LFS has suggested, and I'm about to trade this whole loving setup for a handy on craigslist if this doesn't clear up.

What am I doing wrong, what else could I possibly try? The new rock and new sand are getting covered with the poo poo and it's driving me crazy. Hermits do nothing, snails do nothing, LFS suggested a yellow eye tang, and even offered to take it back when it gets too large for the tank.

Any thoughts?

/rant, am mad.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

SaNChEzZ posted:

So, I'm at my wits end. A while back I had posted my tank, overrun with hair algae, may ring a bell or two. Fast forward a couple months and almost $700 later. New tank, new rock, new sand, pumps, new skimmer, new everything. I scrubbed all the rock that had coral on it as best as I could in a mixture of water and H2O2. We ended up using 2 old rocks, maybe. Now it's back again! I've tested everything, my salt water, my RO water, my tank water and it all comes back clear.

I've cut the feedings to half a cube every other day, and have always rinsed frozen food. At this point I've been doing 5-10 gallons a week worth of water changes. I'm running chemipure elite, carbon and dosing alk and calcium every other day. Now here's where the fun begins. To combat the algae, here's what I've done: Broadcast dosed H2O2, turned the temp down to 76, cut the lights by 3 hours, manual removal, scrubbing the rocks that I can almost daily with a toothbrush, dosing NoPO,x daily, dosing magnesium (huge doses) daily, the magnesium is above 1600 at this point. The only thing I haven't done is setup a phosban reactor, the thought of something outside the tank freaks me out.

I've pretty much tried everything that anyone on any forum has ever recommended, as well as everything my LFS has suggested, and I'm about to trade this whole loving setup for a handy on craigslist if this doesn't clear up.

What am I doing wrong, what else could I possibly try? The new rock and new sand are getting covered with the poo poo and it's driving me crazy. Hermits do nothing, snails do nothing, LFS suggested a yellow eye tang, and even offered to take it back when it gets too large for the tank.

Any thoughts?

/rant, am mad.

Is it the same green hair algae from your last tank?

Where did you get the new rock? Sounds like it is one of the variety that leeches po4 that seem to be getting more common; requiring a long cook/cure with lanthanum chloride dosing to reduce bound nutrients.

Are you using the same RODI source and have checked filters, membrane and DI to ensure 0 TDS water? How bout RODI and new SW storage, what are you using and how old is it? Water change amount and frequency?

A continuous method of reducing PO4 is what you need. GFO reactors are pretty foolproof, I've never had a leak from the Three Little Fishes ones (TLF50?) and have run them hung on the outside of tanks/sumps often as needed. Way oversized for what you have so there are probably nano reactors better suited.

An algae turf scrubber is another option but they take up more room and take longer to make an impact but are better than GFO long term since you don't need to keep replacing the media, just wipe the screen once a week. I built one that fits in the overflow of my 29 tall, basically a 5"x6" box, with the light source outside the glass so there's definitely a way to do one on your tank with some ingenuity and easy acrylic work.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
If you started the new tank with dry rock then it 99% certainly has bound nutrients in it, that plus the leeching nutrients from your old rock because (and I'm just spitballing here this is from painful personal experience) your rocks have been soaking up phosphates for a long long time, so you need an active continuous PO4 removal method as Wandering Orange says. FWIW it's called "old tank syndrome".

--

With dry rock I've always "cooked" it in a bucket for 4-6 weeks before using. Haven't had a problem with them that way. This is where you just put a pump in a bucket of saltwater and put the rock in it in the dark, occasionally changing out the water, not actual cooking. It works wonders on both dry rock and old live rock.

--

I prefer the turf scrubber method, it's what I'm going with currently. The principle is sound: if you can't beat it, join it.

e: My current regime is pretty extreme actually--

1) pump->turf scrubber
2) pump->biopellet reactor->recirc skimmer

This has outcompeted at various times: bubble algae, bryopsis, grape caulerpa, that pink cotton candy poo poo, gelidium-this really tough wiry red algae

e2: img-fuckyouscience

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 8, 2015

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I started with 95% new rock from the LFS, there's not a speck of algae in their tanks. The issue with the new tank is, it's an all in one so my space is limited for equipment such as a scrubber. It's the same algae, probably came in on the rock that I reused unfortunately. The rest of the rock that I didn't use I just gave to the LFS and they were going to cook it. I didn't have much choice though, the one big rock is covered in maxi-minis, and is also now the house to one of two flame tip nems. I am using the same RODI source, I replaced everything in the system prior to building the new tank to be sure, membrane included. RODI reads 0TDS on my meter, LFS says the same.

I'm probably going to just pick up the two little fishes reactor they've got at the LFS, it's $40 without a pump which isn't bad. This week when I go to get water, I'm going to buy new jugs too just to be sure.

Thanks for the input, I just need someone to tell me it's going to be OK and keep fighting I guess :ohdear:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Instead of broadcasting H2O2, try putting it in a syringe or baster, turn ALL your circ pumps off, and then targeting the algae. Let it sit for a minute or so after application, and then hit your pumps. I've had good results with this method.

Content: I got a great deal on a green/purple BTA clone from a local reefer. I picked it up, acclimated him, and got him set up in a nice low-flow corner.

I woke up to find my Gyre in error mode with an anemone sticking out of one cage. After a few hours, he dislodged himself, and fell to the bottom of the tank.

I scooted him back to a low-flow spot, and he seemed to come back out a bit. And then overnight, he moved into a cave in the absolute bottom of my rockwork. I'm so screwed. :bang:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Heh, I've got 2 8" flame tips in the tank right now, all corals are in the sand so they don't get run over. There's too much algae at this point to target kill I think, it's small tufts, but they're everywhere. I'm going to get the reactor and keep manually removing what I can at this point.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Heh, I've got 2 8" flame tips in the tank right now, all corals are in the sand so they don't get run over. There's too much algae at this point to target kill I think, it's small tufts, but they're everywhere. I'm going to get the reactor and keep manually removing what I can at this point.

I'm a fan of using Xenia as a nutrient export mechanism. In my experience it out-competes hair algae, makes for an interesting tank addition, and is reasonably easy to remove (and then trade to the LFS for store credit).

I've also been having excellent luck with a HoB refugium (which I understand is probably too bulky for your setup). The 'fuge is closer to the lights than anything else in the tank, and the return always develops huge clumps of hair algae which are easily removed during routine maintenance. Kind of a low-tech algae scrubber.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Castaign posted:

using Xenia

Please trigger warning this.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Castaign posted:

I'm a fan of using Xenia as a nutrient export mechanism. In my experience it out-competes hair algae, makes for an interesting tank addition, and is reasonably easy to remove (and then trade to the LFS for store credit).

I've also been having excellent luck with a HoB refugium (which I understand is probably too bulky for your setup). The 'fuge is closer to the lights than anything else in the tank, and the return always develops huge clumps of hair algae which are easily removed during routine maintenance. Kind of a low-tech algae scrubber.

You know, it's funny. Looking back at pictures of my tank(s), whenever they were pristine, I always had a nice clump of Xenia in there. Maybe that's the secret?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
In case you were really thinking about using xenia, please don't, at this point you will probably get an explosive overgrowth of it all over every rock (and therefore the opposite of "easy to get rid of"). And in high hobbyist activity areas like SoCal and around here they don't sell/trade well at all.

My recommendation would be to use a fast-growing soft coral that has mouths (can feed on plankton) since while they're not quite as good as xenia (which only absorbs nutrients from water column) they also probably won't blow up all over your tank. Some form of sinularia or the always popular "Palau" nepthea.

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

ruby idiot railed posted:

Please trigger warning this.

Yeah, yeah, I know. :cheeky:

Seriously though, while I've always heard horror stories about Xenia taking over, I've never had any problems with controlling it. It peels off of the rock very easily, and even if you aren't able to sell or trade it, there's no issue with just discarding it the way you would chaeto.

I personally haven't had much luck with any of the leathers seeming to have any major water cleaning impact, but even if they don't do much to help, they're still a pretty addition.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Ya I've already gone through one "Old Tank Syndrome" cycle already but I brought the tank back with some elbow grease and the turf scrubber. I previously had reasonably well-behaved xenia in that tank that totally exploded in mass. And now there's none.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

In case you were really thinking about using xenia, please don't, at this point you will probably get an explosive overgrowth of it all over every rock (and therefore the opposite of "easy to get rid of"). And in high hobbyist activity areas like SoCal and around here they don't sell/trade well at all.

My recommendation would be to use a fast-growing soft coral that has mouths (can feed on plankton) since while they're not quite as good as xenia (which only absorbs nutrients from water column) they also probably won't blow up all over your tank. Some form of sinularia or the always popular "Palau" nepthea.

I had Xenia for a very long time and I'm no stranger to slicing it off rock. Honestly, most of my old tank was funded by Xenia trade ins at my LFS :) Where in SoCal are you, I'm local. The trick is knowing someone at the LFS that will take Xenia. I'd still have Xenia in the tank but one of the flame tips took it all out a couple years back.

I've also got a Fiji yellow leather that has been the same size for going on three years. SPS do well in my tanks, xenia do well and other softies don't for whatever reason.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
Been a couple weeks. I've learned a lot so far and having a lot of fun. Currently I am setting up a 15g sump. It's not connected yet.

Sump has a skimmer intake, rubble, 5" live sand bed and a chaeto chamber. Display has 2 clowns, 2 firefish and a lawn mower blenny. Small corals and a fire clam and then the cleaning crew.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I think it's a scallop, but those are awesome critters!

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Flame scallop. I haven't tried to keep them because they pretty much need to be individually target fed forever and aren't even the remotest bit photosynthetic (unlike the average Tridacna clam).

The ones with the "lightning" mantles are awesome though.

^^^ I live around Chicago. Not quite the mecca of reefkeeping in the US (which would be SoCal), but still one of the most active areas.

Bruce Boxlicker
Jul 26, 2004

Fun Shoe
It came as a flame scallop of course. It's listed as actually being a clam but looks like a scallop? It's definitely the one with bioluminescence. According to the LFS and some reading it just needs phyto. Seems happy enough so far. I'm going to do my best to care for it. Truly a magnificent critter!

Bruce Boxlicker fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Apr 10, 2015

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

^^^ I live around Chicago. Not quite the mecca of reefkeeping in the US (which would be SoCal), but still one of the most active areas.
Can confirm nobody in Chicago wants to purchase Xenia. I have trouble giving it away for free.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Slugworth posted:

Can confirm nobody in Chicago wants to purchase Xenia. I have trouble giving it away for free.

Sad but true.

What stores do you like in the area? Are you in the burbs or the city? Going to the swap in a couple weeks? (I work Saturdays so I always miss these :()

VVV :eyepop: VVV

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Apr 10, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

It's given away for free around here too, but if you're looking for some, and can't find any, it's like $30 a frag down here in Miami stores.

:wtc:

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Sad but true.

What stores do you like in the area? Are you in the burbs or the city? Going to the swap in a couple weeks? (I work Saturdays so I always miss these :()

VVV :eyepop: VVV

Burbs. Our favorites are pretty far flung unfortunately - Old Orchard Aquarium in Skokie, Tropi-Quatics in Lombard, Advanced Aquatics in Schaumburg. Our go-to is Oak Park Natural Pet and Fish. Local to us, friendly staff, but not the best saltwater selection.

Which swap might that be? Only one we have done is the Cichlid Association. Is there a good saltwater swap?

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Slugworth posted:

Burbs. Our favorites are pretty far flung unfortunately - Old Orchard Aquarium in Skokie, Tropi-Quatics in Lombard, Advanced Aquatics in Schaumburg. Our go-to is Oak Park Natural Pet and Fish. Local to us, friendly staff, but not the best saltwater selection.

Which swap might that be? Only one we have done is the Cichlid Association. Is there a good saltwater swap?

4/25 Odeum Expo Center, Villa Park - http://www.cmas.net/

It's usually a good one, good mix of vendor types from hobbyist to pro.

Sounds like you're in the close burbs, I'm a bit farther out--I sometimes make it out east as far as Sea Schor in Buffalo Grove, but otherwise I frequent Sea Escapes in South Elgin (great fish in good health) and Beyond the Reef in Hoffman Estates (really good coral selection including wild colonies and frequent boxes from e.g. Bali).

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

No more fuckin' around. Xenia was free, couldn't argue with that.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

SaNChEzZ posted:

No more fuckin' around. Xenia was free, couldn't argue with that.

For those keeping score at home (a cautionary tale):

Pictured: xenia

Pictured: not xenia

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 11, 2015

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The other store I was fairly impressed with is Reefwise in Lisle. I've only been in a relative handful of times but they seem to be able to consistently maintain a good and healthy selection of corals, and they keep them in huge lookdown vats rather than individual tanks.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

The other store I was fairly impressed with is Reefwise in Lisle. I've only been in a relative handful of times but they seem to be able to consistently maintain a good and healthy selection of corals, and they keep them in huge lookdown vats rather than individual tanks.

I'm near Lisle every day, I'll have to stop in. I'm surprised we have overlooked that one.

Aphelion Necrology
Jul 17, 2005

Take care of the dead and the dead will take care of you
I used to post in this thread in 2008 and it's still open, goddamn.

Got out of the hobby due to illness but now I'm in a good place to hop back in, so I got an IM Fusion 10 yesterday and hope to set it up next month. No huge plans yet, just soft corals, inverts, and maybe pipefish.

Yeay~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hood Ornament posted:

I used to post in this thread in 2008 and it's still open, goddamn.

Got out of the hobby due to illness but now I'm in a good place to hop back in, so I got an IM Fusion 10 yesterday and hope to set it up next month. No huge plans yet, just soft corals, inverts, and maybe pipefish.

Yeay~

IM Fusion 10 is real good. With mine, I swapped out to the inTank media basket, and got one of the Santa Monica .2(?) drop-in turf scrubbers. Pre-seeded the poo poo out of that in my running tank.

Using stock lighting and everything else for now, though I actually want to supplement lighting by adding one of the Ecoxotic Ecopico strips--but they don't have 3x blues anymore. Not strictly necessary, I should say, but I'd prefer to run at higher intensity with better blues, on a shorter day cycle.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 21, 2015

• Locked thread