Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
The tags are in some way tied to the music store (not the actual files, though). My track genres will change arbitrarily, but only if I sync with my iPhone instead of my classic. You can change the setting to get rid of it - I think someone gave the exact instructions a page or two back in reference to the genre issue. This may not be the cause, but it sounds like something you're generally concerned about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anyone else never have major problems with iTunes? I've moved the same library around since 2004 and it's still working fine. I just get confused when people have so much trouble with it. :psyduck:

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Xabi posted:

I've never had problems per se, I just thinks horrible.
Ahh, I see. Perhaps you should try the software thread.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Last Chance posted:

Anyone else never have major problems with iTunes? I've moved the same library around since 2004 and it's still working fine. I just get confused when people have so much trouble with it. :psyduck:

I've never had any major problems with it, and have been using it since ~ 2007.

You shouldn't be confused though, just because your experiences are different than others. This is kind of like when someone asks for help with something, and the first reply is "I've literally never had that problem."

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

I believe that I'm on the same iTunes library since iTunes v.1, from Mac to Windows to Mac again. But I'm not going to say that anyone else is making their problems mountains out of molehills. I only spent a year on Windows so I don't really know how bad it can be.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Last Chance posted:

My only real issues are around podcasts, everything else has been fine. :(

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Last Chance posted:

I really don't have what would be called major problems with it. There have been builds here and that that caused some inconvenience, but things end up fixed in the long run which is more than you can say about a lot of software.

I used to be a major micromanager and just surrendering the control of stuff to itunes has really made life more convenient.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

Would changes in the itunes store do this? The album title did change from something like "Close to the Edge (bonus tracks)" to "Close to the Edge (Remastered)." If the store did that, I'm kind of worried about the implication that what I've downloaded is subject to being swapped out with different files or tied to the store's database.

Downloaded files won't be swapped out for different files. Undownloaded "iTunes in the Cloud" purchases and undownloaded iTunes Match tracks may change with what's actually in the iTunes Store catalog, however.

By way of example, shortly after the Smashing Pumpkins remasters were released, they/Billy had all of the originals pulled from the store. Everything now Matches the remasters, whether it's ripped from a 1990s first pressing or a 2013 remaster. If you already had the originals on your computer, you still have the originals on your computer. Forever. If you buy a new laptop tomorrow and grab those songs from Match, you'll have the remasters on your new laptop.

It's rare a label engages in that kind of fuckery, but it's possible—and, where someone like Billy Corgan is involved, a given.

Similarly, your metadata should never change if you've made local changes; for iTunes Match, any changes you make will persist across your account and (should) override any changes in the store catalog. For iTunes in the Cloud, tags shouldn't be touched on anything actually in your local library, but any new copies will always come with whatever's current in the store (because the iTunes Store is unaware of your changes).

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Aug 12, 2014

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Molten Llama posted:

Downloaded files won't be swapped out for different files. Undownloaded "iTunes in the Cloud" purchases and undownloaded iTunes Match tracks may change with what's actually in the iTunes Store catalog, however.

By way of example, shortly after the Smashing Pumpkins remasters were released, they/Billy had all of the originals pulled from the store. Everything now Matches the remasters, whether it's ripped from a 1990s first pressing or a 2013 remaster. If you already had the originals on your computer, you still have the originals on your computer. Forever. If you buy a new laptop tomorrow and grab those songs from Match, you'll have the remasters on your new laptop.

It's rare a label engages in that kind of fuckery, but it's possible—and, where someone like Billy Corgan is involved, a given.

Similarly, your metadata should never change if you've made local changes; for iTunes Match, any changes you make will persist across your account and (should) override any changes in the store catalog. For iTunes in the Cloud, tags shouldn't be touched on anything actually in your local library, but any new copies will always come with whatever's current in the store (because the iTunes Store is unaware of your changes).

Thank you so much for this.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Last Chance posted:

I've never had major problems until iTunes 11. I'm running it on Win 7 64bit, and it crashes whenever I so much as THINK about playing/refreshing/syncing a podcast. I've tried fresh installs, new libraries, everything. No joy. Seems to be a wide spread problem though. The newest version that came out a day or so ago made it crash way faster, and in a more spectacular fashion. Good going Apple.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
So my wife just updated itunes and now her phone isn't being detected by itunes anymore. iPhone 4S and iTunes version 11.3.1.2 - other people are complaining about the same thing on the apple forums with no answer in sight, unsure if it's something goons have already figured out or not :(

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Last Chance posted:

Syncing my iPhone & iPad breaks every few days, but that's usually fixable by restarting the service and killing any zombie processes. iTunes also corrupts the library files occasionally, truncates track names and switches track genres back to untranslated (English) versions. The latest issue is duplicates of old bought tracks from iCloud showing up in the library.

The syncing issues might be caused by the fact that I leave my computer running and let it go to standby. If there's a memory/resource leak somewhere, things will break after a week or so of uptime. I have no idea what causes the rest; I've tried migrating all ID3 tags to the same version and encoding, but it hasn't helped.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

I'm confused about Home Sharing. My wife has her own iPad Mini with her own iTunes Store account, is there any way to share my desktop media library with her iPad? For some reason the shared library shows up fine on my own iPhone but not her iPad. My account credentials are entered for home sharing on both but nothing ever shows up on the iPad.

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY
Hey, I just wanted to get some advice.

I had 350 yen on the Japanese store and tried to switch to the US store when iTunes hardlocked. After force quitting and reopening it I was logged into the US store and had a balance of $350.

What, uh, what should I do?

EDIT: It corrected itself when I tried buying something! It just punted me back to the JP store with my old balance. False alarm!

The Timely Howard fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Aug 23, 2014

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
Are we talking about iTunes 12, in the public beta, here? Because it looks like they've axed the view options to sort albums (in the cover/album view) by artist > year, meaning that half of my artists are showing up with the albums all out of release order, in spite of the fact that they all have years assigned to them if I hit 'get info'.

I hope they put it back. Seems like a genuinely obtuse thing to do.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

Are we talking about iTunes 12, in the public beta, here? Because it looks like they've axed the view options to sort albums (in the cover/album view) by artist > year, meaning that half of my artists are showing up with the albums all out of release order, in spite of the fact that they all have years assigned to them if I hit 'get info'.

This is going to sound a little more flippant than I mean it to be, but use the feedback assistant, or whatever they call it to tell Apple how you feel. That's what it's for.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Jeherrin posted:

Oh my lord.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Jeherrin posted:

They did however add a "recently added" section to the top of the list, which actually seems useful and productive rather than sperging out about my list of albums not being in perfect chronological order.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Whirlwind Jones posted:

They did however add a "recently added" section to the top of the list, which actually seems useful and productive rather than sperging out about my list of albums not being in perfect chronological order.

Wait... wanting your albums in release order is "sperging" now?

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

The Modern Leper posted:

Wait... wanting your albums in release order is "sperging" now?
Yeah.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Jeherrin posted:

So what you want is this?

Works fine for me.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Does that not move all the 1999 albums together, the 2000, the 2001, etc?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

IUG posted:

Does that not move all the 1999 albums together, the 2000, the 2001, etc?

No, it's not super intuitive but the "View Options" thing changes the sub-sort, so sort your music by Artists, then do view options -> Year and your stuff will now be sorted as "Artists by Year"

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

benisntfunny posted:

So what you want is this?

Works fine for me.
He means in the album view, not the list or artist view.

Although strangely enough your solution "works" in that by changing the sorting in artist view also changes it in album view but it permanently fucks it up either alphabetically (by album title, not by artist) or chronologically (also not sorted by artist at all).

I guess that's a bug then?

EDIT: To get it back you have to go to song list view, and then set it to sort by artist. Weird all around.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

Whirlwind Jones posted:

He means in the album view, not the list or artist view.

I misread the original question, but it still works in album view. When I am in albums view the view options box changes to allow me to "Sort albums by artist then year"

edit: If for some reason what he does want is all albums grouped by year then artist you can do that too.
the "view options" box only applies to your current view (Albums/Artist/Songs/Genres/Composers)

edit2: and in case it's still not clear you get to the view options by clicking it at the bottom of

astr0man fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 26, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

astr0man posted:

I misread the original question, but it still works in album view. When I am in albums view the view options box changes to allow me to "Sort albums by artist then year"

edit: If for some reason what he does want is all albums grouped by year then artist you can do that too.
the "view options" box only applies to your current view (Albums/Artist/Songs/Genres/Composers)

edit2: and in case it's still not clear you get to the view options by clicking it at the bottom of

Are you sure you're running the latest beta?

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
I am running the latest developer beta (Yosemite DP 6, dated August 18), which I thought was the same as the public beta now but maybe it isn't? I don't know :shrug:

edit: oh hey there was an iTunes update that I hadn't installed yet and yup the view options for album view are gone! :downs: They are still there for every other view though so maybe it's just a bug in this beta version then?

astr0man fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Aug 27, 2014

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

astr0man posted:

I am running the latest developer beta (Yosemite DP 6, dated August 18), which I thought was the same as the public beta now but maybe it isn't? I don't know :shrug:
I'm running the dev beta too, but there was a separate iTunes update a few days ago. Seems like a very strange thing for them to remove though.

EDIT: 12.0.0.97 here.

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga
Yeah I am on 12.0.0.97 now and the sorting for albums is gone, but it looks to me like it is more of a bug than a removed feature because the sorting options for everything else is still there.

edit: for what it's worth I submitted a bug report so maybe it will come back in the next version.

astr0man fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 27, 2014

Violator
May 15, 2003

Can anyone get Home Sharing movies to work with iOS devices? My AppleTV sees my iTunes library's movies fine, but my iPhone 5s and iPad 3 stall when trying to connect to iTunes. I've seen some folks say that the host computer needs to reset the DHCP Lease to fix the problem, but that feels like a lot of horse poo poo for something that should work seamlessly.

I think I may have complained about this before, I don't know. I'm just so sad about it.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

Violator posted:

Can anyone get Home Sharing movies to work with iOS devices? My AppleTV sees my iTunes library's movies fine, but my iPhone 5s and iPad 3 stall when trying to connect to iTunes. I've seen some folks say that the host computer needs to reset the DHCP Lease to fix the problem, but that feels like a lot of horse poo poo for something that should work seamlessly.

I think I may have complained about this before, I don't know. I'm just so sad about it.
I just tried it and it worked fine (I had never tried it before).

EDIT: It didn't work on my iPad which I rarely ever use, for whatever that's worth.

EDIT2: So I closed the video that was currently playing on my iMac iTunes and the iPad instantly brought up the shared library, so there's that I guess.

Whirlwind Jones fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Aug 28, 2014

Violator
May 15, 2003

Whirlwind Jones posted:

I just tried it and it worked fine (I had never tried it before).

EDIT: It didn't work on my iPad which I rarely ever use, for whatever that's worth.

EDIT2: So I closed the video that was currently playing on my iMac iTunes and the iPad instantly brought up the shared library, so there's that I guess.

If you don't mind me asking, how large is your movie library? And are they mostly bought from iTunes?

I rebooted everything and let the iPad sit for about 10 minutes and it finally loaded. I just can't figure out what is stalling it out so badly.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Is there any good reason why my various music purchases stopped showing up in iTunes? The only thing in the purchased tab is a ringtone I downloaded last year but it should have a ton of songs. Nothing else shows up and I know it's the right account and I haven't changed my country or anything silly like that.

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Have you tried signing out and back in?

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
is it possible for itunes to not double all the music files?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Not sure what you meant, is it showing duplicates in your library? There's an option in one of the menus to "Show duplicates", and then you can get rid of them. Otherwise if you're talking about it copying the music to the iTunes Media folder, that's an option in the settings. Then your music would stay wherever it was opened from, and be a part of the library from that location instead of being consolidated.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

ANIME MONSTROSITY posted:

is it possible for itunes to not double all the music files?
I believe Preferences > Advanced is what you're referring to.

Not to get all PHILOSOPHICAL on you but iTunes is meant to be a "media library" program, not an MP3 player. You should just let iTunes manage the files. Whenever you add something to the library just remember to delete the folder that you added it from. Unless you're OCD about file structure it's pretty simple.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
I have a bigass music collection and a 128gb drive, so thats not an option :( thanks guys.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

I have a bigass music collection and a 128gb drive, so thats not an option :( thanks guys.

No sd card slot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

You could tell iTunes to put your music collection on an external drive if you want. Just go into the settings and tell it where the media library folder should be. If you tell iTunes to consolidate after that, it'll copy all the files there. However, you'll have to delete the originals after that. (Better that way, so that iTunes doesn't delete the files until you get a chance to see if something failed to copy.)