Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Well I'd rather not for a lot of reasons. :v: I guess I may have to make do with bare wire, but my experience with car audio (yeah yeah, apples and oranges) leads me to believe that good crimped on connectors are the way to go. I'd use banana plugs since they're everywhere but my speakers are mounted flush against the wall.

http://www.monoprice.com/mobile/product/details/5975?maincategoryid=104&categoryid=10401&subcategoryid=1040115&cpncd=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

KozmoNaut posted:

This is some of the most aggravating bullshit I have ever read. At least it looks like the campaign will never reach its funding goal.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/389985205/bacon-and-cheese-may-the-source-be-with-you

So. Much. Bullshit.

And the worst part? It's called "BACON and CHEESE".

Wait, wifi can't stream more than 1.4 Mbps? Someone needs to let go of their 802.11b gear.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Looks good, pledged $1399. Thanks for the heads up.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Panty Saluter posted:

Wait, wifi can't stream more than 1.4 Mbps? Someone needs to let go of their 802.11b gear.

But the 'b' stands for BEST!

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Well you see higher bandwidth wireless protocols have more jitter so

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Yeah, but sending uncompressed audio over wifi means that data bytes are being added to each IP packet (parity bits, sender & receiver data). This is even worse than compressing data. You're adding useless bytes. THIS AFFECTS MY TONEZ! :D

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Panty Saluter posted:

Come on, you know b succeeds a so 802.11b is obviously superior to 802.11a

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I don't understand DSP, therefore, I am a trusted source for your digital audio gear.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
Such a wierd product.

Firstly, not trying to say that cheese and bacon solves this problem, but digitally distributing audio and keeping it playing in sync with each other is not a trivial problem. If it can do this, it may be worth it for some people.

It seems it's main purpose is to maintain the fidelity of analogue vinyl over a digital wireless link. If you're that concerned, why would you even let it do an AD/DA conversion when digital is so evil? You could run balanced, silver stranded cables to all your rooms for a tenth of the price. Also, it doesn't even have a built in phono preamp.

16bit 44.1kHz audio is described as compressed.

The thing is made of loving unfinished plywood and it looks like they can't even cut it straight:

It doesn't say what radio frequency it uses, except that it runs on "ISM RF" channels to "easily avoid frequencies most commonly used by other wireless products". Every bloody wireless product, including your microwave, uses these frequencies.

:fuckoff:

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 6, 2016

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
So it's basically an ugly 'high res' version of this:
http://www.neutrik.co.uk/en-uk/xirium/

Having used these against any 'normal' high end RF based product and knowing how much effort and testing went into making it viable to do 24/48 at any sensible distance without interference makes me even more doubtful that cheese and bacon has a chance.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Panty Saluter posted:

Viola, no rumble or motor noise. :v:

I'd rather not have a viola in my stereo system. It's bad enough that they use those horrible things in orchestras.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The Crown amp came in. Upsides: even at high sensitivity with the gain cranked I can't even challenge this thing. Hell, it doesn't even tickle the -20 lights. Seat of the pants tells me bass performance is way better, especially at high volumes. I wonder now if the H/K amp section wasn't just running out of breath and getting higher TIM distortion or something. It's definitely easier on the ears at high volumes.

Downside: it has plainly audible background hiss in quiet passages. From what I've read this is normal behavior. I'm trying to decide how much that bothers me.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

KozmoNaut posted:

And the worst part? It's called "BACON and CHEESE".

Precisely defined periodic functions are hard to reconstruct yo.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

Woolie Wool posted:

I'd rather not have a viola in my stereo system. It's bad enough that they use those horrible things in orchestras.

Yes, but if you modulate the shield viola harmonics and amplify them at the right frequency, they can serve as a damping factor tor the rumble and motor noise! It might just work!

Oh wait, sorry, I thought I was in the Star Trek thread for a moment.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

The Crown amp came in. Upsides: even at high sensitivity with the gain cranked I can't even challenge this thing. Hell, it doesn't even tickle the -20 lights. Seat of the pants tells me bass performance is way better, especially at high volumes. I wonder now if the H/K amp section wasn't just running out of breath and getting higher TIM distortion or something. It's definitely easier on the ears at high volumes.

Downside: it has plainly audible background hiss in quiet passages. From what I've read this is normal behavior. I'm trying to decide how much that bothers me.

Lower the gain until you stop hearing the hiss. You just said you weren't even coming close to maxing it out.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
The hiss is present even with the gain all the way down and the input source off. I guess it's some artifact of a class D amp at low output? This thing IS designed to be running at high output so I'm sure low level performance was not a high priority.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I use a Class D to run the top/mids on my PA system and it hisses no matter what. My old iron style amp I use for the subs (that I've used with the tops previously) though doesn't. It must be something to do with the design, yeah.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Ah class D, we meet again. The class D is the bete noire of the audiophool.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I don't know if they all do that, but an audible noise floor is kind of a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. Call me all the names you want, I really don't care.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I don't think it's a class D thing,it's more of a function of crazy amounts of power. My old EPX2800 is class H, but does 1400w per channel into 2ohms and it does the same. The thing is, at full volume, that hiss is practically undetectable :v:

But I bought it to use on a subwoofer. Couldn't hear the hiss at all then.

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Mar 11, 2016

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I don't think it's a class D thing,it's more of a function of crazy amounts of power. My old EPX2800 is class H, but does 1400w per channel into 2ohms and it does the same. The thing is, at full volume, that hiss is practically undetectable :v:

But I bought it to use on a subwoofer. Couldn't hear the hiss at all then.

Yeah, I imagine that big gain factors in. I've heard more than a few giganto Class A and A/B amps that bump out similar power numbers that are dead silent, but they are also several orders more expensive. I'm sure big gain transistors that make a little more noise are somewhat cheaper.

It's really weird, the hiss level is the same regardless of the gain settings. So regardless of what I do, any quiet passages have that small amount of noise. But Lord Almighty is it better when I goose the volume. I'm thinking the receiver was definitely breaking up on its own, that's the only explanation for how shrill it was getting. I don't know if the internal amp's sensitivity was set super-high to make the receiver seem more powerful (wouldn't be the first example of that) but making fine adjustments at low levels was very fiddly. I'm guessing it wasn't hard to push up the distortion as well.

So right now I'm leaning toward keeping the amp and maybe using it as a sub amp (the internal crossover seems handy). Or maybe keepingit as a main amp. IDK :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

That sounds like a ground loop or isolation issue.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
There was a ground loop but I fixed that with an isolator on the cable line. I wondered too if it was something to do with using single-ended interconnects, but poking around in Google it seems like a lot of people get some hiss with this model and it seems to be normal

It's not even unpleasant, it's sort of pink-noisey. Like good master tape hiss in a way.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This article is really good http://www.rane.com/note151.html

And it also contains this great picture:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Panty Saluter posted:

There was a ground loop but I fixed that with an isolator on the cable line. I wondered too if it was something to do with using single-ended interconnects, but poking around in Google it seems like a lot of people get some hiss with this model and it seems to be normal

It's not even unpleasant, it's sort of pink-noisey. Like good master tape hiss in a way.

It's normal.

...but it was never an issue for me considering the system was used in a club where it was never quiet. :v:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

This article is really good http://www.rane.com/note151.html

And it also contains this great picture:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Takes the word "streaming" up to a whole new level.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Finally, a truly directional HDMI cable.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I love the custom packaging for that. The more you look at it the more funny details you find.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Khablam posted:

Finally, a truly directional HDMI cable.

I guess I'm not seeing what everyone is laughing about?

That looks like a cable you'd use on boat or other marine environment. One side is for connecting to wiring in the bulkhead and the other end for a TV (I imagine). Having water-tight, click lock connector is not uncommon, BNC was developed to solve this problem almost 40 years ago. This looks like it's simply an evolution of that. Having a converter that allows you to hook into AV on end, route through the bulkhead, and then converter to TV is not what I'd call "audiophile". I mean, if you just wired things with no consideration for fresh or salt water, then you're being pretty stupid.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
One end isn't electrical at all, it's just a garden hose connector.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

TomR posted:

One end isn't electrical at all, it's just a garden hose connector.

I was thinking it was something along these lines, since these kind of connectors exist for all types of cables.

HOWEVER, I missed the German "Verbindung zu H2O" which means "connects to water", so now I'm confused. Unless that means it's made to be used in a wet environment. A proper German could probably answer that one.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It's a fake, made as a joke, jesus christ.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nope, it's a garden hose.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Flipperwaldt posted:

It's a fake, made as a joke, jesus christ.

Got it. I'll adjust my settings accordingly.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

No, the orange plug is literally a garden hose connector that you would plug your lawn sprinkler into. It's good for nothing except possibly short circuiting your TV. The humor largely comes from the fact that the joker went to the effort of making a very professional looking packaging for it. Hama is a pretty well regarded german manufacturer of AV cables and accessories.

Top left under "Full HD / liter" it says "Possible through ionized water".

e: The back says "For questions contact your water works or gardener." :v:

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 14, 2016

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue

flosofl posted:

I recommend the Very German detent on your humo(u)r dial.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

flosofl posted:

Didn't know about waterproofing AV stuff on boats though; that was mildly interesting. I just cringe when I see someone swing and miss so badly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Croc Monster posted:

I recommend the Very German detent on your humo(u)r dial.

Also I can sell you a high grade wooden dial to enhance the quality of your German humour. $675.