Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

CCKeane posted:

I usually use a terminating letter or number in order to tell, at a glance, if I am telling with something that is in the proposal stage, or something that has already been implemented.

Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

"I use a very complicated and undocumented numbering scheme that only I understand to provide me with job security."

Truly fitting this thread.

At my workplace, where I am the onsite contact for an offshore team at the client site, the current project is a blueprint for future projects. The amount of on-site and offshore managers getting involved is about the same as the amount of grunts doing the work. Guys, you will get your status updates and just let us ensure we can deliver instead of going into my team and ask for additional information.

While typing this, I realize it is probably my own doing as I only send out summarized daily status updates because gently caress that.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?

This document is Manual 123.45.6, it's been established in this company and should be followed. Ah, but here we have Manual 789.10.11.A. That 'A' means it is merely a proposed manual and does not need to be followed, especially since further drafts will likely be forthcoming. By extension, you could bet that 789.10.11.Q has been around the block quite a few times and unless it's your baby, you should probably just leave it alone until it loses the letter and becomes official.

Ninja edit: Think of the letter as baby teeth. One day the letter falls out and is replaced by an adult number. Then the letter gets tucked under the designer's pillow at night and if they've been good, the magical CEO will take the letter away and leave a bonus.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
I had a conference call yesterday with the goal to finalize timings for a project. The person who is supposed to give direction to us in R&D as to where they want to take their product lines instead spent 40 minutes of an hour long call telling us in the most overly verbose manner possible that she can't actually make any decisions regarding where they want things to go, but we need to finalize timings anyway. We didn't get anything done, of course, because many of the early steps require decisions that that person was not equipped to make. Fun stuff.

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

If a design terminates with a number, it's still in the design stage. If it terminates with a letter, that means it was already being produced. A similar format is used by many engineers who work in fields where document control is important.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

CCKeane posted:

If a design terminates with a number, it's still in the design stage. If it terminates with a letter, that means it was already being produced. A similar format is used by many engineers who work in fields where document control is important.

That might work for version numbers, but my situation was outline section identifiers within an effective SOP.

Like...

1.0 HEADER
1.0.1 SUBHEADER
1.0.1.3 GETTING REALLY DEEP NOW
8.6.2.1.1.4.6.15.A OH HOLY MOTHER OF GOD FIRE THE DOC DEPARTMENT ALREADY

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

ItalicSquirrels posted:

...you could bet that 789.10.11.Q has been around the block quite a few times and unless it's your baby, you should probably just leave it alone until it loses the letter and becomes official.
pffft. There is nothing so well-developed (or so behind schedule) that a good reviewer can't find ten or a dozen major errors that need to be corrected immediately before he'll consider signing it.

"Well, we just need to make sure it's right." "This is two months past the time we needed it, we're in a day-for-day slip because we don't have it." "But we just need to make sure it's right." "The issue you're trying to fix is a question of terminology, and you're the only one who even cares." "But we just need to make sure it's right." "There is no conceivable error-correction process that could cost as much as you're going to cost us by making us send this back through the entire review cycle." "But we just need to make sure it's right. Why are you being so stubborn about this?"

And the hard part of the conversation is that he's right--in his own world. He gets dinged for after-the-fact change orders, but he doesn't get dinged for late production starts, so he has every incentive in the world to make things look like he wants and no incentive at all to get them out the door.

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:
Sorry guy I already know the answer so what we're gonna do is instead follow sub-par arbitrary procedure 10.5.7.1.2.2.5.3.69.420.M.J and install the bedding material without addressing run-off.

Keetron
Sep 26, 2008

Check out my enormous testicles in my TFLC log!

Miss-Bomarc posted:

pffft. There is nothing so well-developed (or so behind schedule) that a good reviewer can't find ten or a dozen major errors that need to be corrected immediately before he'll consider signing it.

"Well, we just need to make sure it's right." "This is two months past the time we needed it, we're in a day-for-day slip because we don't have it." "But we just need to make sure it's right." "The issue you're trying to fix is a question of terminology, and you're the only one who even cares." "But we just need to make sure it's right." "There is no conceivable error-correction process that could cost as much as you're going to cost us by making us send this back through the entire review cycle." "But we just need to make sure it's right. Why are you being so stubborn about this?"

And the hard part of the conversation is that he's right--in his own world. He gets dinged for after-the-fact change orders, but he doesn't get dinged for late production starts, so he has every incentive in the world to make things look like he wants and no incentive at all to get them out the door.

I just got out of a meeting where the attendants were trying to make changes to a planning document on a project phase that already started.
First question: why did the work start without approval on this document? A: because you said timelines were ultimately the most important thing and any additional comment coming out of this meeting will not impact the way we do our work.
Second question: But how about this *very important* thing that is completely out of scope for you but should be addressed NOW? A: We talked about this before and it will not be addressed.
Third question: This is not acceptable and I will not sign off your document! A: Shall I go and tell the team to stop working and report to the VP and P that you refuse to sign off a document and that we therefor had to cancel all activities and you are willing to take full responsibilities for this?
*grumbles and signs off*

I should go into politics.

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
Spoke up in a meeting with our senior staffer in charge of morale. Mentioned that morale is horrible. Listed some reasons morale is horrible (micromanagement, lack of trust, etc.). Got thanked afterwards by three people for saying "what the entire department is thinking but is afraid to say" and for "speaking on everyone's behalf". Felt I owed the senior staffer an explanation (no, I don't know why) and wrote her an email further explaining my reasoning. In an hour I'm scheduled for a one-on-one with her for a discussion on my "perception on how actual change can occur".

Wish me luck!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Spoke up in a meeting with our senior staffer in charge of morale. Mentioned that morale is horrible. Listed some reasons morale is horrible (micromanagement, lack of trust, etc.). Got thanked afterwards by three people for saying "what the entire department is thinking but is afraid to say" and for "speaking on everyone's behalf". Felt I owed the senior staffer an explanation (no, I don't know why) and wrote her an email further explaining my reasoning. In an hour I'm scheduled for a one-on-one with her for a discussion on my "perception on how actual change can occur".

Wish me luck!

Congrats on your long vacation! :D

(Just kidding. I hope.)

mystes
May 31, 2006

It's good to take your exit interview seriously.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Handy inspirational video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psNuJuaYqVU

ItalicSquirrels
Feb 15, 2007

What?
That actually wasn't bad. I'm still here, so that's a plus. Meeting didn't go as I thought it would, but that's not surprising. Senior staffer did plenty of digging, pulled out some info from among the complaints (of which there were plenty), pointed some things out. Also toed the party line a fair amount, which I was expecting, but not as much as I thought she would, which was a pleasant surprise. Said I could go to her with any issues about senior staff that pop up (like the extreme reduction in discretion we've been seeing). Also helped me realize that I've been carting around a lot of anger from ten years here and that it's unfair to direct it against senior staff as a whole (most of whom weren't here even five years ago). I'm still holding it against the dickhead that told me if I was ever assaulted for any reason on the job he'd fire me, no questions asked. That poo poo's inexcusable.

All told, not a bad meeting at all.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011
I had to fire a assembly line worker today. I caught her chewing gum on the assembly line and I asked her to throw out her chewing gum and she responded, "I don't care what you want me to do." Which is of course the right thing to say to your manager. Then, she kept chewing it.

This is a FDA regulated medical assembly line.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Maybe she wanted to be let go

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

G-Mach posted:

At least your CAPA effectiveness check is guaranteed to succeed?

During the 180-day monitoring period, environmental monitoring group EM micro swabbing detected no presence of offending employee in any production line area, indicating employee termination successfully addressed the non-conformance. :lol:

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
Hey morale guy. I have done what you've done. You cannot change the place on your own. Either change jobs or care less.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

G-Mach posted:

I had to fire a assembly line worker today. I caught her chewing gum on the assembly line and I asked her to throw out her chewing gum and she responded, "I don't care what you want me to do." Which is of course the right thing to say to your manager. Then, she kept chewing it.

Reminds me of how a big pharmaceutical company in my town decided to use the cheapest temp agency possible for their assembly line work, only to get shut down by the FDA for numerous quality violations. They were also forced to recall a huge amount of product, making a major brand of OTC medication disappear from store shelves for months.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

ItalicSquirrels posted:

Wish me luck!

I have a new business director who's trying to pin the "morale officer" thing on me (even though that's not my job in the slightest.)

I don't even know where to start. Request money to get people loaded every other week?

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

E the Shaggy posted:

I have a new business director who's trying to pin the "morale officer" thing on me (even though that's not my job in the slightest.)

I don't even know where to start. Request money to get people loaded every other week?

If you dont know, why dont you ask the people that you are trying to help? They would have a pretty good idea about what they want, you can filter the bullshit ones out, and if there is an overwhelmingly common request, implement it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Konstantin posted:

Reminds me of how a big pharmaceutical company in my town decided to use the cheapest temp agency possible for their assembly line work, only to get shut down by the FDA for numerous quality violations. They were also forced to recall a huge amount of product, making a major brand of OTC medication disappear from store shelves for months.

Is that why I have to pay triple for my antacid pills?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

E the Shaggy posted:

"Morale officer" sounds like a way to make somebody that's not paid like a manager responsible for management-induced morale issues.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Morale Officer sounds like some sort of Soviet-era position who is actually responsible for snitching out unhappy workers/friends/etc. to the party so that they can be sent to the camps or killed. It should come with a pistol and a warrant for summary executions.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
MORALE WILL IMPROVE OR THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE!

That's what I'm picturing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Morale Officer sounds like some sort of Soviet-era position who is actually responsible for snitching out unhappy workers/friends/etc. to the party so that they can be sent to the camps or killed. It should come with a pistol and a warrant for summary executions.
I imagine it coming with a clown nose and silly hat. It is now your job to entertain your coworkers!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mystes posted:

I imagine it coming with a clown nose and silly hat. It is now your job to entertain your coworkers!

"HEY GUYS! I'M SLAPPY THE CORPORATE CLOWN!" :cb:

"Did YOU know that keeping a delighted smile on your face increases shareholder value by 0.68 percent? Keep those smiles working to deliver value, everyone!"

Bugamol
Aug 2, 2006

Sundae posted:

"HEY GUYS! I'M SLAPPY THE CORPORATE CLOWN!" :cb:

"Did YOU know that keeping a delighted smile on your face increases shareholder value by 0.68 percent? Keep those smiles working to deliver value, everyone!"

Where I work they bought everyone little desk mirrors that say "Smile! They can hear it!".

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Bugamol posted:

Where I work they bought everyone little desk mirrors that say "Smile! They can hear it!".

I think that is actually worse than being shot at.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008

Bugamol posted:

Someone once used the phrase "they can hear you smile over the phone". I wanted to punch that guy in the face and tell him to suck a fat dick.

In case that seems like an overreaction, this guy also introduced me to the phrase "soup to nuts" along with a whole bunch of other bullshit corporate terms.

This was at a small time professional services company that thought it was as awesome as McKinsey.

Before that I worked in one of the largest and oldest corporations on earth and had never encountered those bullshit phrases.

G-Mach
Feb 6, 2011

Sundae posted:

At least your CAPA effectiveness check is guaranteed to succeed?

During the 180-day monitoring period, environmental monitoring group EM micro swabbing detected no presence of offending employee in any production line area, indicating employee termination successfully addressed the non-conformance. :lol:

That's a thing of beauty.

We somehow managed not to fail the last one, so possibly. (But not the one before that.)

Konstantin posted:

This is pretty typical. I have had to manage a single work order (5000 quantity) that due to temp gently caress ups had to be torn down and rebuilt three times so far. These are medical devices that could kill someone if they aren't made correctly and the people that put it together make $8.00/hr.

Pureauthor posted:

Maybe she wanted to be let go

Considering I heard she doesn't have a dollar to her name due to getting drunk and crashing her car two weeks ago. I'm probably going to go with thinking she thought she could push me around since I'm still pretty new.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Ashcans posted:

Cut along the dotted line and fold along the solid black line!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Konstantin posted:

Sudafed?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Betting $5 it's one of my company's products. :lol:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I was referring to Excedrin, but it's hardly unique.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Konstantin posted:

I was referring to Excedrin, but it's hardly unique.

I lose. :(

(My company did exactly that, is under CD now, and has so many products pulled off the market that the recalled/discontinued list is larger than the currently distributed list by about 3X.)

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Cut along the dotted line and fold along the solid black line!

quote:

Congratulations, citizen! Due to your properly zealous attitude you've been chosen as happiness officer. This is a great honor. Only those who know the true joy of being an Alpha Complex citizen are appointed happiness officer. Your selection shows The Computer's exceptional faith in you.

As happiness officer, it's your duty to keep team morale high and to motivate your fellow Troubleshooters with frequent pep talks, singalongs, and practical jokes.

In addition, you must constantly be on the alert for SSM (Sub-Standard Morale) among your fellow Troubleshooters. here are some early warning signs of SSM: argumentativeness, a reluctance to volunteer, questioning the team leader, habitual frowning when you tell jokes, and a refusal to participate in group singalongs.

As happiness officer you're authorized to give PSDs (Personality Stabilizer Drugs) to any Troubleshooter who shows signs of SSM. You'll be given a variety of PSDs for dispensing. Failure to treat SSM is treason! Remember, laugh and the whole Complex laughs wih you, cry and you fry alone.

I'll stick to my non corporate sociopath workplace thanks

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

visceril posted:

Someone once used the phrase "they can hear you smile over the phone". I wanted to punch that guy in the face and tell him to suck a fat dick.

As a sometime freelance voice actor, I can speak to this from experience. I really can hear a subtle difference in tone when I smile while speaking, even if it is a fake smile.

But yeah, gotta love corporate BS phrases. There's this one guy at my company who says "deep dive" and "under the covers" (meaning "behind the scenes" or "within its inner workings") so often that I started keeping a tally sheet during his training sessions.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I had a very interesting week. I went on vacation and came back on Monday to a meeting about department cuts. So the people that would be effected by the cuts (me and the other five people in my department under 40 started to look for new jobs). My boss hears about this and goes to our director who then blows up at the VP about having to get rid of the only people his his department of 250 that can't retire in 10 years.

The layoffs where then can called and the 6 of us got raises to make sure we stayed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CCKeane
Jan 28, 2008

my shit posts don't die, they multiply

Sundae posted:

I lose. :(

(My company did exactly that, is under CD now, and has so many products pulled off the market that the recalled/discontinued list is larger than the currently distributed list by about 3X.)

I work for a smaller company that deals with FDA related matters. I always said "I bet over in those BIG COMPANIES they do it right and don't have to deal with these issues!"

I see I am mistaken.