Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Elmnt80 posted:

That just sounds like you need 2 backpacks friendo.

On the plus side, it's still way more comfortable and easier to haul around than my old tackleboxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I kinda regret getting a baitcasting rod and reel as my second rig, feels like I'm not doing anything with it that I couldn't do with a spinning setup (besides picking out backlashes.) I guess this is how people end up with 10 rigs eh?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
You haven’t gotten to “this one for braid, this one for flouro, this one for mono...” or “this is my ultr light rig, this is a 12lb for Squarebills etc

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

hagie posted:

You haven’t gotten to “this one for braid, this one for flouro, this one for mono...” or “this is my ultr light rig, this is a 12lb for Squarebills etc

You mean like this? I currently have:

1 mag heavy baitcaster for frogs/punching/heavy jigs
1 mag mh baitcaster for all around use
1 mh baitcaster for crankbaits and chatterbaits (more moderate action and monofilament line)
1 mh baitcaster for all around use
1 medium/medium light spinning setup for finesse applications

I still want a purely finesse baitcasting setup that can do jerkbaits. This even though I only tend to use the mag mh and the spinning rig when I go pond hopping.

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk
I have one baitcaster and it's not really my favorite type of reel. I've gotten okay at casting without getting backlashes (mostly with the "spin the lure around the rod tip and let fly" technique) but I rarely use it unless I have a lot of room to cast and am using a heavy-ish lure.

For those with a lot of setups, what have you found a baitcaster can do that a good spinning setup can't?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My anchoring kit came in and I need to know how to fix it to my kayak so I don’t destroy it. I think the instructions suggest to use silicone?

How do I put an anchoring kit on a kayak without leaving holes for water to get into?

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

Elmnt80 posted:

You mean like this? I currently have:

1 mag heavy baitcaster for frogs/punching/heavy jigs
1 mag mh baitcaster for all around use
1 mh baitcaster for crankbaits and chatterbaits (more moderate action and monofilament line)
1 mh baitcaster for all around use
1 medium/medium light spinning setup for finesse applications

I still want a purely finesse baitcasting setup that can do jerkbaits. This even though I only tend to use the mag mh and the spinning rig when I go pond hopping.

Exactly!

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

LegionAreI posted:

I have one baitcaster and it's not really my favorite type of reel. I've gotten okay at casting without getting backlashes (mostly with the "spin the lure around the rod tip and let fly" technique) but I rarely use it unless I have a lot of room to cast and am using a heavy-ish lure.

For those with a lot of setups, what have you found a baitcaster can do that a good spinning setup can't?

I like the precision I can get with a baitcaster. Particularly when pitching and flipping. I've found I can more readily drop my lure exactly where I want it and make it enter the water more gently using my thumb on a baitcaster than I can with an equivalent spinning setup. However I do love my spinning rig for tight quarters, light baits and windy conditions. They are just different tools to do different jobs.

Speaking off, I've been trolling japanese auctions sites and god drat there are some disgustingly good deals to be had on some primo (used but in good shape) spinning reels. I may be making a poor financial decision here soon. Slap some new bearings in the old girl and send it.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

I. M. Gei posted:

My anchoring kit came in and I need to know how to fix it to my kayak so I don’t destroy it. I think the instructions suggest to use silicone?

How do I put an anchoring kit on a kayak without leaving holes for water to get into?

What sort of anchor system is it?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

gay picnic defence posted:

What sort of anchor system is it?

It’s this one, recommended by LingcodKilla.

https://www.austinkayak.com/YakGear-Deluxe-Anchor-Trolley-Kit/ACK22857P.html

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

I see a video for installation on that page, it's kinda hidden at the bottom, but it looks pretty concise. It also says not to use silicone if you're using certain hardware so I'd take a look. It tells you when to use silicone and when not to.

LegionAreI fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jul 7, 2019

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

Those are pretty straightforward to install. Drilling holes in kayaks is nerve wracking at first but after doing a few you’ll stop worrying about it. Measure twice, drill once etc, however it is really easy to patch up holes in plastic yaks so don’t stress too much. I’ve done a fair bit of DIY plastic welding to fix holes with just a soldering iron and some spare plastic.

A common issue is not being able to reach the inside of the yak where you have drilled holes. There’s two good ways around that. You can use tri-fold rivets, which flare out when you pull the trigger on the rivet gun and form a backing plate for the attachment.

The other is more complicated but is probably stronger; you feed a bit of fishing line into the hole until you can reach the line from the inside of the yak. You can put a small sinker on the line if that makes it easier to get the line to a place you can reach. Then you tie the threaded section of one of the bolts to the line and pull it back through the hull of the kayak and through the hole you have drilled. You should end up with the bolt poking through the hull of the kayak from the inside out. Grab the thread with some pliers and slide whatever you are attaching over the top of the bolt. Then, gripping the thread with pliers put a nut on and tighten it up. If the thread sticking out of the yak is getting caught on things you can file it off. The benefit of doing it this way is that it is as strong as bolting something to the yak the usual way. I hope i explained it ok, it’s a bit of a complicated process to put into words.

Some people use self tapping screws or wellnuts, from my discussions with some kayak store owners who do a lot of mods for customers these are not as strong and shouldn’t really be used for anything load bearing. If you’re just attaching fish finder brackets or a light pole these would be ok though.

For sealing I use something called Sikaflex rather than silicone, other people have had success using Marine Goop. I put a bit around any hole I drill through the hull before I put the attachment on so there’s a decent seal.

To keep the trolley rope tight get some bungee cord. At the bow end of the trolley put a few loops of bungee through the pad eye and the pulley. This will maintain a bit of tension even though the rope will stretch over time.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

I loving love that YakAttak anchoring system.

I have been considering getting some kind of drift "weight" or "sock" to slow me down on occasion because spinner baits and crankbaits propel my rear end through the water even if I am not reeling them in quick.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

hagie posted:

I loving love that YakAttak anchoring system.

I have been considering getting some kind of drift "weight" or "sock" to slow me down on occasion because spinner baits and crankbaits propel my rear end through the water even if I am not reeling them in quick.

A drift chute/drogue is handy to have on a yak. They’ll also stop the kayak from spinning around if you’re drifting with the wind.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
I taught both my kids (4 and 8) to cast this spring and they have both been on a couple of (skunked but fun) fishing trips with me. Today we're going camping for a week by a lake, and they both got to choose their own rod for the occasion.

It's me. I'm the dude with the kids with the Barbie rods at the lake.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I posted it upthread already but our cottage neighbour caught a 14" bass on a 20 year old Barbie rod a couple weekends ago on bass opener, and I got completely skunked that weekend.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I am beginning to notice that something at the lake I’ve been going to is responding to chartreuse and dark green lures. I fished for a few minutes* yesterday and got a nudge using something that looks like a minnow with legs that I don’t know the name of.

* Bathroom Troubles prevented me from staying longer. :whitewater:

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

In other news, I have yet to take my new kayak on the water and I think it’s because I’m scared I’ll destroy it. And possibly because I haven’t worn swim-trunks in years, and I’m averse to getting wet because I also haven’t swam in years.

EDIT: I have one more anchor question before I forget. Does it benefit me at all to put a second anchor trolley system on the other side of my kayak? For like, a different kind of anchor or something?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jul 7, 2019

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I. M. Gei posted:

In other news, I have yet to take my new kayak on the water and I think it’s because I’m scared I’ll destroy it. And possibly because I haven’t worn swim-trunks in years, and I’m averse to getting wet because I also haven’t swam in years.

EDIT: I have one more anchor question before I forget. Does it benefit me at all to put a second anchor trolley system on the other side of my kayak? For like, a different kind of anchor or something?

Kayaks are surprisingly robust. The plastic they use in them can take quite a beating. I drag my yaks over barnacle encrusted rock beaches all the time and even once accidentally lost my yak off the back of my truck while going 40mph

LegionAreI
Nov 14, 2006
Lurk

I. M. Gei posted:

You have any shallow water near you? There's a pond near me that cant be any more than 10 feet deep at its deepest that people kayak on. Saw a guy tip his and he could stand up to get back in. If you can find a place like that it might be a good first trip.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Pick up a low profile flotation device, all the cool kids wear them.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

LegionAreI posted:

You have any shallow water near you? There's a pond near me that cant be any more than 10 feet deep at its deepest that people kayak on. Saw a guy tip his and he could stand up to get back in. If you can find a place like that it might be a good first trip.

This. Before heading out on any "larger" body of water you should hop in the local park-lake. The one I fished the bank from for a good year before getting my kayak was perfect. It is shallow enough to feel comfortable (maybe 15' max) and way too small to put in boats. I still get slightly uneasy on busier bodies of water because of how much it pushes you around.

One of my early outings I went to a large lake at Largemouth spawn. I had been at the end of summer and it was barren with boats, and I didn't even think of others getting in on the spawn. I drove almost 2 hours to be in the water for 30 minutes before saying "gently caress THIS" and paddling 100yds back to the ramp.

Another funny anecdote: My 2nd time ever being in a kayak I went to the local lower dam exhaust. I had been before on the bank and watched the guys throw into the deep section with huge gently caress off deep-sea rigs. I start piddling around and get my crankbait caught in some fuckwads spool of birdnest that they decided to discard in the water. It was like 2' deep so I just bent over and started trying to get it out. Then I heard the dam alarm and water started rushing out. I was 100 yards from the bottom, and 30 yards from the "no watercraft beyond this point." I got the lure in the boat, looked up, and I was almost another 50 yards from the drat and closing on the ramp quick. I got corrected and went to get ready to land on the ramp, and the water surged, and pushed me right, and I started going down the river, which only a few minutes before was <2' in some areas...I ended up 300 yards downriver from the dam, and finally beached myself on a bank. The paddle back was loving ROUGH. My shoulders were done for a week.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just spent about 5 minutes paddling around in circles in the shallow end of the lake... and about 1 hour 25 minutes getting the kayak off the car, moving it around, and getting it back on the car.

# of times the kayak tipped over: 1, while I was getting in
# of times the kayak almost tipped over but didn’t: a lot
# of times I got back in the kayak from in the water: 1

I think I need to watch some Youtube videos before I try this again.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 7, 2019

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Just keep going out, you'll get your sea legs.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

I just spent about 5 minutes paddling around in circles in the shallow end of the lake... and about 1 hour 25 minutes getting he kayak off the car, moving it around, and getting it back on the car.

# of times the kayak tipped over: 1, while I was getting in
# of times the kayak almost tipped over but didn’t: a lot
# of times I got back in the kayak from in the water: 1

I think I need to watch some Youtube videos before I try this again.

Proud of you for trying new things. It’s not rocket science but it’s not easy either. Keep it up and you’ll be laughing about your first day soon enough.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

LingcodKilla posted:

Proud of you for trying new things. It’s not rocket science but it’s not easy either. Keep it up and you’ll be laughing about your first day soon enough.

I hope so. I’m pretty exhausted just from doing as much as I did today and I’m not in much of a place to want to go back out just yet, but hopefully that’ll improve in time. It loving better, after all the money I burned on kayaking I need to loving do it a lot.

Right now I really want to figure out how to get in and out of a kayak without it tipping over and how to ride it without same.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I hope so. I’m pretty exhausted just from doing as much as I did today and I’m not in much of a place to want to go back out just yet, but hopefully that’ll improve in time. It loving better, after all the money I burned on kayaking I need to loving do it a lot.

Right now I really want to figure out how to get in and out of a kayak without it tipping over and how to ride it without same.
Is it a sit on top or a sit in?
Assuming it’s a sit on top the easiest way to get in is to get it in shallow water and straddle it, then sit straight down. Having your legs out each side will give you a bit of extra stability. Then you pull your legs in and start paddling.

Still in shallow water, practice leaning out one side and get a feel for the point the yak starts to tip over. You can also have a go at moving around in the yak trying to keep your centre of gravity as close to the centre of the yak as possible. It’ll come with practice and eventually you’ll be correcting your balance without even thinking about it when a boat wake hits you.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yaks are pretty stable but if you're not used to them they can for sure feel like they're about to tip, especially if you've spent any time in canoes.

I still can't believe people canoe fish.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

gay picnic defence posted:

Is it a sit on top or a sit in?
Assuming it’s a sit on top the easiest way to get in is to get it in shallow water and straddle it, then sit straight down. Having your legs out each side will give you a bit of extra stability. Then you pull your legs in and start paddling.

It’s a sit-on-top but I think my legs are too short and chicken-like to do this.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I'm torturing myself looking on craigslist at used kayaks in my neighborhood and just came across a guy selling a new-ish perception pescador pilot for $600 and I really really wish I had a way of storing it because I'd be all over that deal. I hate apartment living :sweatdrop:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Hooplah posted:

I'm torturing myself looking on craigslist at used kayaks in my neighborhood and just came across a guy selling a new-ish perception pescador pilot for $600 and I really really wish I had a way of storing it because I'd be all over that deal. I hate apartment living :sweatdrop:

gently caress. I’d probably buy it at 600.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Hooplah posted:

Public Storage, my dude

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

It’s a sit-on-top but I think my legs are too short and chicken-like to do this.

Then in shallow water stand with the back of your legs against the kayak adjacent to the seat. Sit back onto the seat, you should be able to keep the yak stable with your feet on the ground for support. If you lean back a little you should be able to swing your feet into the kayak without falling out,

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I. M. Gei posted:

Public Storage, my dude

Places in my area are the bougie heated indoor storage buildings for over $100/mo, or are completely full and have been for years. I’d love to find a place that had that as an option, but I haven’t been able to so far.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Hooplah posted:

Places in my area are the bougie heated indoor storage buildings for over $100/mo, or are completely full and have been for years. I’d love to find a place that had that as an option, but I haven’t been able to so far.

Ask a friend or family member or CL. Lots of time people have units far bigger than they need and would appreciate a few bucks to cover the cost.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

moved to the area recently, so no nearby f&f, but i guess CL may be an option

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You could keep it at my place in Port Orchard....

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Nice cat! Looks like a channel. Beware the spines but make great eating before they get too big.

Congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Catfish are a fun catch, good job!