Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Well, this thread sure is dead. Anyway, major CRTC release today.

quote:

OTTAWA—Cellphone companies will soon no longer be allowed to charge customers to unlock their devices under forthcoming changes to Canada’s wireless code of conduct.

The new code from the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission also says all newly purchased devices must be unlocked, beginning Dec. 1.

The telecom regulator also says unsatisfied customers will be able to cancel contracts within 15 days, as long as the returned devices are in near-new condition and they haven’t used more than half of their monthly usage.

The regulator is also clarifying that only the wireless account holder on family or shared plans can consent to overage and roaming charges, unless others on the plan are expressly authorized to approve the costs.

Data caps will also be tied to single accounts, no matter how many devices are listed on a shared plan.

The CRTC says wireless service providers cannot unilaterally change the key terms of a contract with a customer for voice, text or data services.

The changes come six months after the regulator heard from consumer groups, who said some cellphone companies were violating the code, either passively or actively, and called for the rules to be tightened and enforced.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/06/15/crtc-bans-cellphone-unlocking-fees-in-update-to-its-wireless-code-of-conduct.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hello, thank you for being a Rogers customer. To better serve and support you, all our plans will be going up by $10/month. Thank you for being a lil bitch and taking it like good Canadian, namaste.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Hello, thank you for being a Rogers customer. To better serve and support you, all our plans will be going up by $10/month. Thank you for being a lil bitch and taking it like good Canadian, namaste.

haha I was literally just thinking the exact same thing. Either that or they'll gently caress the data caps up even more.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Honest to God, my first thought was "Fifteen dollar price increase".

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Heads up that the Public Mobile 38/mo for 4 GB + text, voicemail, in province calling deal is back until June 30, but you have to port a (brand new if req'd) line in from Wind/Freedom to get it, so some extra hassle.

Currently debating doing it for a couple lines at 48/mo & 5 GB. We never use that last GB anyway...

https://publicmobile.ca/en/bc/sameprice-largestnetwork

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

That first one is a good change. When my sister tried to get my deceased father's phone unlocked from Telus they wanted $80: activation fee, unlocking fee, then a deactivation fee. But luckily I was able to carrier unlock it for free. It turns out the Note 2 can be unlocked with a dialer code if you flash the original release ROM.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Vacationed in Europe recently. Paid 5£ for a sim card with 500mb of data, 200 mins, and unlimited text. Every new country I entered gave me an additional 500mb. I think the next one up was 4gb but they were out of 10£ sim cards.

Why can't we be cool and have nice things like that?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

Vacationed in Europe recently. Paid 5£ for a sim card with 500mb of data, 200 mins, and unlimited text. Every new country I entered gave me an additional 500mb. I think the next one up was 4gb but they were out of 10£ sim cards.

Mulroney.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

When I was in the Netherlands this past summer it was stupid cheap for a SIM with data, yeah. Canada is a goddamn joke.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Canada is very big, you see. Europe is quite small.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Canadian carriers use the excuse "Look at the size of Canada, it's so big! We have to cover so much more land area that's why it's so expensive." Ignoring they only cover highways and population areas. From a blanket coverage perspective the USA is far better with the same density.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Yeah, poor cell companies, almost impossible to turn a profit in this sparsely populated, big place.

CLAM DOWN posted:

When I was in the Netherlands this past summer it was stupid cheap for a SIM with data, yeah. Canada is a goddamn joke.

Everything is great there except that outside of Amsterdam loving noone takes loving credit

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

JoelJoel posted:

MVNOs

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

JoelJoel posted:

In NZ for work for 2 weeks. 200mins, 200txt, 1gb data, and the mins/txts can be used to contact 12 countries around the world (including Canada, which is nice) cost $25, available before you walk out of customs as well.

If I was going to use my phone number with international roaming, it'd cost me $100 for like, 50mb data and jack poo poo extras.

Canadian mobile: It's getting there, honestly, but it's still the biggest joke in the world.

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I've been a Telus customer for over ten years.

On one occasion, I dropped my (then) brand new Nexus phone into the toilet, ruining it. They gave me a replacement Nexus the next day for free.

The second occasion, they overcharged me 30 bones for my data plan. I called them, and they offered me a fifty dollar credit to my account immediately, or five dollars off my monthly bill for life.

I took the second option.

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE
That sounds like a lie.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Hizawk posted:

, or five dollars off my monthly bill for life.

Not a loving chance.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A Telus customer for 10 years maybe, but how long have you worked in their marketing department?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Hizawk posted:

They gave me a replacement Nexus the next day for free.

The second occasion, they overcharged me 30 bones for my data plan. I called them, and they offered me a fifty dollar credit to my account immediately, or five dollars off my monthly bill for life.

I took the second option.

poo poo that didn't happen.txt

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Mister Facetious posted:

poo poo that didn't happen.txt

Every now and then you do hit CS reps who are both knowledgeable - ie, keep a set of grandfathered / otherwise rare billing & credit codes that aren't really supposed to be used any more but they still work - and don't give a crap if they get caught doing borderline things by the company's call QA.

They tend to have really good call handling times because they make everybody happy without manager escalations... And a recurring future credit via billing code doesn't count against their primary stats like handing out cash credits would. Given churn and customer acquisition costs, can even work out cheaper in long run.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I used to work for Rogers and the poo poo the Retention department would do to resolve customer issues or to keep customers (hence the name) was above and beyond what a regular first line customer rep has access to.

The permament $5/mth to $10/mth discounts were pretty rare but the typical was more along the lines of $10/mth off for 12 months and they were handing those out like crazy when they were rolling out the Share Everything and Share Everything+ plans cause of the tremondous clusterfuck of when people were coming in to do upgrades on their old grandfathered plans and finding out that there were no more subsidies on their old plan and they had to change their plan from like 2003 to a ShareEverything plan. Those were not fun days to be at work.

Although the people on the old 6GB SuperPlan (6gb for $60/mth) would gladly pay out like $800 for a new phone and made drat sure that their plan was not being changed in any way. They were more protective of that plan they were on than their own flesh and blood.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

God I wish I hadn't given that plan up it was sooooo goooooood

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My Share Everything plan is a sweet deal and I love Roam Like Home, however I get a 40% discount through work so that's the only reason I think it's sweet. If I had to pay full price I'd burn Rogers to the ground.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I used to have unlimited data for 15/mo through Telus. Streaming mp3s from my home computer all day on Windows Mobile... They kicked you off if you wanted HSPA, though apparently a few people managed to keep it somehow.

Anyway, operation switch from 2x Koodo 48 for 5 GB to 2x Public Mobile 38 for 4 GB is 75 100% complete.

James Baud fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 20, 2017

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug
I used to have unlimited data through Rogers too, then they changed it to unlimited WAP browsing without telling me and lied about why my email didn't work for two months. Hooray!

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Second friend to tell me about their amazing plan for only loving $90 a month. This one is 4.5 gigs for 2 years then it's 2.5 500 minutes of local calls... he said local but must at least mean province wide and unlimited texting are there other options?

Told him he should return the phone, get on public mobile, and just dish out cash for the phone up front. It would save him around $40 a month but I guess 40x24 is really hard math or something. They also made him get a new number. I presume this has something to do with bonus/commission.

Anyway, wife wants to port from Wind to PM. Is it a straight port after activating the PM sim card or is there some kind of work around like the Manitoba/Québec plans?

E: and if someone wants a referral, pm me. claimed

Cocaine Bear fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 20, 2017

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JoelJoel posted:

Anyway, wife wants to port from Wind to PM. Is it a straight port after activating the PM sim card or is there some kind of work around like the Manitoba/Québec plans?

Straight port at time of activation and done. Expect a 130ish charge up front for 3 months, also $8 for 200 non-expiring out-of-province LD minutes if relevant. Should also confirm her Wind phone supports "normal" frequencies if bought through them.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

JoelJoel posted:

E: and if someone wants a referral, pm me.

Sent, comrade. :hfive:

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

JoelJoel posted:

E: and if someone wants a referral, pm me.

Efb etc

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

JoelJoel posted:

Second friend to tell me about their amazing plan for only loving $90 a month. This one is 4.5 gigs for 2 years then it's 2.5 500 minutes of local calls... he said local but must at least mean province wide and unlimited texting are there other options?

Told him he should return the phone, get on public mobile, and just dish out cash for the phone up front. It would save him around $40 a month but I guess 40x24 is really hard math or something. They also made him get a new number. I presume this has something to do with bonus/commission.

E: and if someone wants a referral, pm me. claimed

MTS told me I had unlimited local calling which literally meant unlimited calls within Winnipeg to other people in Winnipeg and hilariously high long distance rates anywhere else.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Really sick of my S7 so I spoke to someone at the Koodo kiosk when I was at the mall today. Got really excited when she told me a few people have gotten their S7s replaced with S8s when making warranty claims lately as they were all out of the S7. Of course when I called they had my 32gb in black in stock -_-

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
They're also all refurbished and trust me you don't necessarily want any of those.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Wirth1000 posted:

They're also all refurbished and trust me you don't necessarily want any of those.

Are they really that bad? My "refurbished" Pixel XL was brand new.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

See I dont see refurbished as such a bad word, mind you I cant recall ever really buying much that was. To me it means something was wrong, and they fixed it. If I'm gonna get a discount, or in this case upgrade to a $1000 phone just for the $79 deductible on the insurance, I'm all for it. I've been saying I wanna get away from Singsong but I've had the Galaxy S, S3, S5 and S7. I mean what the gently caress else is out there thats available here? I'd love to try some of the Chinese stuff like Xiaomi but drat its hard to get your hands on. The Z3 compact is still my favorite phone I've ever had. That was the smoothest android experience I've had yet, in the perfect form factor.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
I don't know about the Pixels but the worst refurbs that ALWAYS came back (it wasn't 100% but it was like 99% return of dissatisfied customer pissed to all hell) was Samsung and LG phones. I have no idea who the refurbishment company was that they use but they're atrocious.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

codo27 posted:

See I dont see refurbished as such a bad word, mind you I cant recall ever really buying much that was. To me it means something was wrong, and they fixed it. If I'm gonna get a discount, or in this case upgrade to a $1000 phone just for the $79 deductible on the insurance, I'm all for it. I've been saying I wanna get away from Singsong but I've had the Galaxy S, S3, S5 and S7. I mean what the gently caress else is out there thats available here? I'd love to try some of the Chinese stuff like Xiaomi but drat its hard to get your hands on. The Z3 compact is still my favorite phone I've ever had. That was the smoothest android experience I've had yet, in the perfect form factor.

My issue is that I've been exposed to the worst of it as a Rogers rep and I'm naturally biased against refurbished stuff because I was a store rep and front line. Refurbished for me is such a dirty word because of my time at Rogers because ALL of their cable equipment (Nextbox 3.0, Nextbox 2.0s, all the modems) were refurbished. The cable boxes sometimes we'd get a bad batch and customers would literally come in 3 to 4 times a day to swap it out cause it wouldn't authorize or even turn on in some cases.

I'd personally never go through the insurance programs either on offer as they go through Asurion and that was where a lot of the horror stories came from.

The reality is my perspective is skewed because, again, I was probably overexposed to this stuff so the numbers and statistics in my head probably don't add up to the reality of refurbs being fine for the most part. But the scars run deep, man. Apocalypse Now levels of deep.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My refurb was direct from the Canadian play store, their support was fantastic. Rogers is loving garbage so maybe that's why :shobon:

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
Hey, good job, you went through the manufacturer.

I cannot stress... I literally cannot stress how a LOT of people genuinely thought Rogers manufactured all the phones they sell.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
Last year, I bought a brand new unlocked S7 edge from Newegg that was discounted by $20-40 under the regular price. Cue almost a year of trying to figure out why the phone is hard locked to max 300kb SMS's, when my old S5 could send up to 1GB on both the Wind and Public Mobile networks. The only thing Samsung could tell me is "Huh, you should only be able to get that dual SIM model in certain markets in Asia"

The other day I did some digging into why there was weird abbreviations and numbering after the date on the clock, something other users had reported after the last software update. Apparently, it's the Iranian calendar, and it can't be turned off.

I have an Iranian cell phone. Welp. Happy Khor 30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Wirth1000 posted:

Hey, good job, you went through the manufacturer.

I cannot stress... I literally cannot stress how a LOT of people genuinely thought Rogers manufactured all the phones they sell.

I work in household appliance service and oohhh mmaannn this one drives me nuts. Of course LG and Samsung are the absolute worst there too.

:argh: "You guys made these pieces of poo poo, don't you have the parts lying around back somewhere?!"
:rolleyes:"No sir, the parts and warranty are provided by the manufacturer"
:argh: "if you don't get this fixed by 4:37 PM tomorrow, I'm going to drive this hunk of garbage down to your store and throw it through your front window"
:rolleyes: "... Well sir, I wouldn't recommend doing that, although I *totally* appreciate your anger

This job is going to make me into a misanthrope