Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

Joementum posted:

The Kentucky legislature is preparing legislation that would allow Rand to run for both Senate and President at the same time.

Kentucky Republicans are going to let the Supreme Court tell them how to write their own state's laws? RINO alert!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Joementum posted:

The Kentucky legislature is preparing legislation that would allow Rand to run for both Senate and President at the same time.

Wouldn't any law that currently banned the practice be struck down as unconstitutional? The Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that individual states and the US Congress cannot impose further restrictions than what is already within the US Constitution+amendments for federal offices.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

notthegoatseguy posted:

Wouldn't any law that currently banned the practice be struck down as unconstitutional? The Supreme Court has repeatedly ruled that individual states and the US Congress cannot impose further restrictions than what is already within the US Constitution+amendments for federal offices.

Thats why theres no argument about the law. The KY secretary of state would have to follow state law, then they'd have to go to federal court when they sue and be certain of losing but this way saves a ton of money.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!

Gen. Ripper posted:

Welcome to the Beltway press. Everyone plausible is running, even if they decide to hook up a cross-country stereo system to announce they aren't.

That actually sounds like a pretty good indicator someone is running.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

bhlaab posted:

Yknow, I think he has a shot this time! Either him, Rick Santorum, or Newt Gingrich. The circle of winners, I call em.

If the last two Republican primaries are any indication: if you run enough times eventually the GOP will just go "oh my God fine, let's nominate that guy. It's not like we can do any worse."

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

VitalSigns posted:

If the last two Republican primaries are any indication: if you run enough times eventually the GOP will just go "oh my God fine, let's nominate that guy. It's not like we can do any worse."

Hmm? They've chosen the previous runner-up, assuming he ran again, going all the way back to Reagan.

Reagan lost to Ford, HW lost to Reagan, Dole lost to HW, Buchanan or whoever the runner up was did not run in 2000, McCain lost to Bush and Romney lost to McCain.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Cliff Racer posted:

Hmm? They've chosen the previous runner-up, assuming he ran again, going all the way back to Reagan.

Reagan lost to Ford, HW lost to Reagan, Dole lost to HW, Buchanan or whoever the runner up was did not run in 2000, McCain lost to Bush and Romney lost to McCain.

So that means 2016 will be the Year of the Newt. Or Peak Santorum, either way.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Cliff Racer posted:

That's what I'm saying.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OAquinas posted:

So that means 2016 will be the Year of the Newt. Or Peak Santorum, either way.

I can get behind either of these.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I can get behind either of these.

Behold! A wild Huckabee approaches!

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

skaboomizzy posted:

I'm sure I'll live to eat my words but I still ain't convinced. He's just teasing it and dropping the radio show to lighten his workload and get a better paycheck from his Fox News gig.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Brian Schweitzer continues his campaign to be Not Vice President.

quote:

“We’re a democracy and we don’t just choose the royal families,” he said, noting there has been 20 years of either a Clinton or a Bush in the White House since 1989 “and now we’re talking about (former Florida Gov. Jeb) Bush or a Clinton again.”

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Heh. Still, things I agree with Brian Schweitzer on incremented by one. I don't know a huge amount about him, but I used to follow him back when Sirota was running his stuff. I recall not liking all his energy policies, but generally finding him fairly impressive. Still, he's that folksy Western kind of charismatic that you either like or you don't. He doesn't seem to have the kind of press-the-flesh-and-hold-the-shoulder skills that Diamond Joe or Bill Clinton have.

EBT
Oct 29, 2005

by Ralp

skaboomizzy posted:

Nope, his kid gutting a hanging dog and then him firing cops to cover it up would be lethal in the general.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

EBT posted:

Nope, his kid gutting a hanging dog and then him firing cops to cover it up would be lethal in the general.

But will it be lethal to R primary voters? *cue Dukes of Hazzard music, primitive leering*

i am the bird
Mar 2, 2005

I SUPPORT ALL THE PREDATORS
My girlfriend's family received a letter from the National Draft Ben Carson for President Committee. Their potential campaign strategy is flawless.

quote:

Let's start with the reason that nominating Ben Carson nearly assures the Republican Party of victory in 2016. It takes a bit of an explanation, but I'm confident you will agree once you know the facts.

40% of the Black Vote!

In 2011, internal polls showed that Republican Presidential candidate Herman Cain was backed by 40% of black Americans. And, Cain was running against Barack Obama, another black man.

If Herman Cain could poll 40% of the black vote, running against a black incumbent President, just imagine what percent of the vote Dr. Ben Carson would receive running against Hillary Clinton or any other far left white Democrat!

Mr. Cain was well liked, but Dr. Carson is a national hero in the black community. He is almost universally loved and respected. In fact, he is revered by most African Americans. Because of that, even after scurrilous attacks from the left, I believe Ben Carson would win the majority of the African American vote.

But, suppose Ben Carson receives just 17% of the black Vote. Did you know that if he receives just 17% of the black vote it is mathematically impossible for Hillary Clinton, or any other Democrat to win!

That's Right, Just 17% of the Black Vote!

And, the Democrats know it. That's why they fear a black conservative candidate more than any other candidate. They know that their grasp on power is hanging by the thread of the lie that all conservatives are racists.

The election of Ben Carson would create a sea change in American politics.

It would herald the end of far left Democratic dominance in America.

Don't forget, it was not that long ago that Republicans won much more than 20% of the black vote. As recently as 1956, Dwight D. Eisenhower received 39% of the black vote.

Ben Carson Will End the Reign of Liberalism in America

That's why the candidacy of Ben Carson terrifies the radicals who control the U.S. Senate, the White House and the Democratic Party. They know they will not only lose if Ben Carson is the Republican nominee, the future of liberalism in America will be very bleak indeed.

As you know, Barack Obama has very little in common with the average black American. He is not a descendant of slaves, like Dr. Carson. He was never part of the civil rights movement, he was educated in exclusive private schools, and he grew up in an economically comfortable family in Hawaii, not in one of the poorest areas of Detroit, like Ben Carson.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Yes, I can say that in the fish and barbecue joints of Seattle's Central District, Dr. Ben Carson is the #1 topic of conversation and a revered figure. The only reason you don't see his framed picture up next to MLK and Ali is because

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

quote:

In 2011, internal polls showed that Republican Presidential candidate Herman Cain was backed by 40% of black Americans.
Is that actually true? Seems a bit unlikely.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The key word there is internal poll, which would mean you'd have to trust the competence of the Harmain Cain campaign to hire reputable pollsters before trusting the poll.

But even that aside it's almost certainly 40% of black Republican primary voters backing Herman Cain, not 40% of black Americans. That's probably also from a sub-sample of a larger poll, so it's statistically meaningless, but also not surprising that they'd back Cain over, say, Rick Perry.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Yes, let's just take a look at how African Americans vote for a black Republican against a white Democrat:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/states/MD/S/01/epolls.0.html

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Forgall posted:

Is that actually true? Seems a bit unlikely.

Almost certainly not. Maybe he would have got forty percent of African Americans' votes in the primary or 40 percent said they would "consider" him or whatever but there's no way Cain would have gotten 40 percent of the white vote in the general, let alone 40 percent of the black vote.

Steele isn't quite the ceiling for Republicans going at the black vote (he ran in a bad year for Republicans) but is pretty close to it. People forget that he was really popular for a Republican in Maryland prior to becoming RNC Chair and destroying its fundraising ability.

The X-man cometh
Nov 1, 2009
Michael Steele isn't a good example because most black people don't mind waiting a while for their food.

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVV Many people, especially the Daily Show, noticed that Steele looks and sounds like the mustachioed muppet.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Jan 6, 2014

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

The X-man cometh posted:

Michael Steele isn't a good example because most black people don't mind waiting a while for their food.

I am pretty sure that Grover is blue. And additionally a puppet, not a person.

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"
Michael Steele also once got busy in a Burger King bathroom.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
But did all the other rappers in the top 10 allow him to bump thee?

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

quote:

Don't forget, it was not that long ago that Republicans won much more than 20% of the black vote. As recently as 1956, Dwight D. Eisenhower received 39% of the black vote.
A mere 60 years ago! I'm sure nothing's changed! :downs:

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

quote:

As you know, Barack Obama has very little in common with the average black American. He is not a descendant of slaves, like Dr. Carson. He was never part of the civil rights movement, he was educated in exclusive private schools, and he grew up in an economically comfortable family in Hawaii, not in one of the poorest areas of Detroit, like Ben Carson.
Really? They're trying to criticize Obama for not being part of a movement that reached its peak when he was 2? :ughh:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Gen. Ripper posted:

Really? They're trying to criticize Obama for not being part of a movement that reached its peak when he was 2? :ughh:

Insult all politicians who did not fight in World War 2.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Lord Hydronium posted:

A mere 60 years ago! I'm sure nothing's changed! :downs:

DEMOCRATS ARE THE REAL RACISTS ROBERT BYRD WAS IN THE KKK LBJ USED THE N-WORD ONCE *foams at mouth, collapses, twitching, on ground*

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

Zwabu posted:

Yes, let's just take a look at how African Americans vote for a black Republican against a white Democrat:

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2006/pages/results/states/MD/S/01/epolls.0.html

To be fair that's a good showing for Republicans in terms of the black vote. Although I think the dogwhistle has increased substantially from Republicans since 2006 though so it'd probably be hard to replicate that.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Amused to Death posted:

To be fair that's a good showing for Republicans in terms of the black vote. Although I think the dogwhistle has increased substantially from Republicans since 2006 though so it'd probably be hard to replicate that.

Plus, Michael Steele has gained about 40 IQ points since he stopped shilling for the RNC. He's actually tolerable to watch on MSNBC, as is Steve Schmidt.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Dave Weigel sifts through a big article about personnel move in Hillary-land and finds this nugget (which is excellent news for Hillary and more generally for fans of competence)

quote:

Maggie Haberman, who is to the chronicling 2016 Clinton restoration what Michael Herr was to Vietnam, supplies many listicles' worth of staff moves in this monster piece. As with any piece that wrings facts out of anonymous sources, it has to be read with an updated decoder ring. Decoded fact one: Mark Penn is now officially out of the loop.

quote:

Rumors swirled among Washington operatives in the fall that Penn might be back as an important adviser to Clinton. He is said to still speak with the Clintons but is currently focused on corporate work.

“I’m all in with Microsoft as their executive vice president of global advertising and strategy and enjoying meeting new challenges there,” Penn said in an email.

For months, reporters (Ben Smith, much of the time) asked Penn and Clintonworld whether the strategist was back. This appears to be his first comment in the negative. The message: A 2016 campaign will not burn money on Mark Penn's consulting.
Mark Penn is too busy overseeing the huge marketing triumphs that are Windows 8.1, Windows Phone, Bing, and XBox One to break away and work for the Clintons. Darn.

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012
Weigel on Schweitzer 2016 Schweitzer 2016 Schweitzer 2016

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

^^^^^^ This is a top read. First profile I've read about him.

So where is Schweitzer now?

PPP three weeks ago posted:

Democratic Primary Toplines

Q1 Given the choices of Joe Biden, Cory Booker,
Hillary Clinton, Andrew Cuomo, Howard Dean,
John Kerry, Martin O’Malley, Brian Schweitzer,
and Elizabeth Warren, who would you most like
to see as the Democratic candidate for
President in 2016?
Joe Biden........................................................ 10%
Cory Booker.................................................... 2%
Hillary Clinton.................................................. 66%
Andrew Cuomo ............................................... 2%
Howard Dean.................................................. 2%
John Kerry ...................................................... 2%
Martin O'Malley............................................... 2%
Brian Schweitzer ............................................. 1%
Elizabeth Warren ............................................ 6%
Someone else/Not sure .................................. 7%

dusty fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 6, 2014

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
To be fair, how would that poll have looked in late 2005-early 2006 for Barack Obama?

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Alter Ego posted:

To be fair, how would that poll have looked in late 2005-early 2006 for Barack Obama?

Who? :thejoke:

Yeah, way too early for 2016. Still, its probably a hell of a lot more accurate than the equivalent poll for the GOP.

dusty
Nov 30, 2004

I imagine Schweitzer's not too concerned about it - history is on his side

Weigel posted:

Democrats inside and outside of Montana loved Schweitzer. The liberal “netroots” held him up as a model for other candidates, a bolo-tied Neo who’d cracked the culture-war code. Schweitzer gave a rolling, mocking speech at the 2008 Democratic National Convention that won more praise than the official keynote address.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Alter Ego posted:

Obama got 7% in early December 2005 (Hillary Clinton 26%, John Edwards 12%, Joe Lieberman 10%, John Kerry 9%, Barack Obama 7%, Joe Biden 3%, Wesley Clark 3%, Bill Richardson 3%, Evan Bayh 1%, Tim Kaine 1%, Mark Warner 1%) and then wasn't included in a poll again until October 2006 where he got 17% (Hillary Clinton 28%, Barack Obama 17%, John Edwards 13%, Al Gore 13%, John Kerry 12%, Evan Bayh 2%, Joe Biden 2%, Russ Feingold 2%, Bill Richardson 2%, Tom Vilsack 1%).

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

quote:

BS: Clinton had a very good run. It was eight years of peace and prosperity. But do you recall what the music was, blaring, after they were elected?

DW: It was “Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow.”

BS: Right. Fleetwood Mac, “Don’t Stop Thinking About Tomorrow.” So what do we play next time? The Beatles, “Yesterday”? In England, a baby’s born and they know he’ll grow up to be king someday. We’re not England. We’re America.

I love this guy. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I'm sure comparing Hillary Clinton's career to being born into power will go over swimmingly.

Obama received 3% in a November 2004 open response Gallup poll(second to last on page). I can't find another open-ended poll and he was not included in candidate lists until October 2006 when he received 17% in a CNN poll.

• Locked thread