Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
Blaster Master: D Cups for Destruction

Gameplay looks okay though with all of the crazy bullets spreads they were firing. Only okay though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

An Actual Princess posted:

Hey everyone I’m not much of a “shmup head” but of the ones I’ve played I like the ones with a lot of weapons and upgrades and stuff. I don’t as much like the ones where your capabilities are static throughout the game. Can anyone recommend games like that. Thanks, farewell.

definitely play hydorah, there's a deluxe version on steam but the devs also have a version that you can Just Download For Free here http://locomalito.com/hydorah.php

you unlock new weapons as you go through the game, and a big part of winning is figuring out which weapons you want to take into each stage. it's pretty short and designed to be played multiple times until you finally learn enough of the game to win, but it includes a helpful place-your-own-checkpoint system that makes it easier to practice more difficult levels. it's good! play it!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
How about Dezatopia? Haven't gotten/played it yet but the weapons system always looked pretty crazy to me. And what are the controls? I play on a stick/cab so have always wondered if it could be playable on that layout.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop
M2's Kyuukyoku Tiger/Twin Cobra is out on English language Switch and PS4 shops, fully translated

Been having a :krad: time playing their DOJ port since December. I can drat near get to stage 4 in Black Label with one credit now

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I keep hoping their Battle Garegga and Mahou Daisakusen ports will come to Switch someday. I already have both on PS4 but I would definitely double-dip to play Garegga in the living room and I just love Mahou Daisakusen and want more of it out there because it's cool

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Drainus is an excellent dip-your-feet-in-the-genre game.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

shmups are da best come play some shmups they're cheap and good and you like them
Plaster Town Cop

Blattdorf posted:

Drainus is an excellent dip-your-feet-in-the-genre game.
Protip, make sure to snag the auxiliary system that allows you to generate upgrades before you reach the last few levels on the 2nd loop. It's a preventative against Gradius syndrome. Otherwise you might have to kill the final boss while underpowered and that's a drag

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Bullet Hell Game Jam currently ongoing at itch.io, voting is open thru this weekend

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Have you guys seen Minishoot' Adventures? It's a bit of a stretch for this thread but may appeal. Short pitch is a dual stick shooter crossed with Link to the Past. I found it extremely charming with lovely production values.

On standard difficulty, I didn't find the bullet-hell aspect particularly challenging until the final arena levels. I still managed to beat them all though with fine hearts left after a few attempts. I am very bad at bullet hell lol.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.
Stumbled across a shmup that I haven't seen mentioned, like, anywhere: In Extremis. Indie STG with 12(?) stages that each have a different visual and musical style.

Looks like it was originally released on Steam in 2016, and then ported to consoles in 2022 by QUByte as In Extremis DX. The dev made the Steam version free in 2021, and the PS4 and Switch versions are currently on sale for like $2.50. Xbox is full price, but still only $5. The Deku Deals page says the sale ends in about 12 hours from now. Extra 50 cents off if you have PS Plus!

So far I've played every stage on easy mode and am itching for more. There's 3 difficulty levels and you can play each stage individually as well. One loop is 5 stages with the first and last always being the same, and you choosing between A, B, or C versions for the middle stages. To get the True Ending you have to complete two full loops, possibly on the hardest difficulty. Not sure, nowhere near good enough to do that yet.

Beating stages without using a continue unlocks more weapons, and you choose two weapons at the start of a run. Weapons fire differently depending on if you tap or hold, and you can set auto-tap buttons as well. There's also Drive which is a meter that builds up then you can activate and get "super" versions of each weapon for a few seconds. You can also hold a button for slower movement which helps in some of the tighter patterns.

There are some rough edges since it's mostly a solo dev game. The menu and UI stuff is all very basic, the visual clarity of a few of the stages could be better, and there's a flashing lights warning before you play which should definitely be heeded. You can see a couple of the stages in the trailer. But - flashing lights aside - those are minor nitpicks. It's well worth playing, especially for a few bucks or free.

I'd love to link some screens and really show off the cool art, but my brain is fried from being up all night. Check out the trailer at the top of the post and see how cool it looks.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

been playing drainus and it’s exactly what I wanted so cheers everybody. super fun game

Tokubetsu
Dec 18, 2007

Love Is Not Enough
Just went up on steam, looks interesting:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4H6eNIQ-Cs

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Seeing some very positive impressions of Devil Blade. It's a remake of an old Dezaemon (ancient shmup engine) game, by one of the main artists from Vanillaware. Apparently he's been working on it for years. This version is meant to be a banner title for the Shooting Game Builder engine

beer gas canister fucked around with this message at 03:45 on May 24, 2024

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Every part of the presentation is absolutely insane, like one of the best looking shmups ever. The way the sprites that make up enemies move is striking, makes sense coming from someone who's been at Vanillaware since the start. Game is really generous with bombs and shields, and normal mode even refills your shield every time you bomb as an extra incentive to press that button. Includes an unlockable port of the original game. It's a blast, easy recommend.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Absolutely loving Devil Blade. It's especially accessible to me thanks to it telegraphing the big/fast attacks and enemy spawns. Feels like the scoring system rewards skill and not just rote memorisation.

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop
Holy poo poo Devil Blade is nuts. Normal mode is no slouch, game has some teeth

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

Is this yet another in the endless parade of indie skystage-only vertical shmups? Are there any ground targets (or non-repeating backgrounds) in it?

e: watched a 15-mil replay. There are some ground targets, but not a lot. Presentation is quite good. Scoring involves point-blanking everything like Omega Fighter. It's nice to look at but I'm not interested in playing it.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 24, 2024

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

beer gas canister posted:

Holy poo poo Devil Blade is nuts. Normal mode is no slouch, game has some teeth
Just beat it without a continue, phew.

It's so perfectly paced and a reasonable length to replay and score attack.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
As a not good shump player, I got pretty far on Normal, but then I was intentionally playing lame and keeping the enemies to a low level. I don't know how much they change if you really take advantage of the Berserk system, but that seems like a cool idea for novices and experts alike.

Also, the haptics on the controller when parts slam into bosses for their phases is :discourse:

beer gas canister
Oct 30, 2007

Plaster Town Cop

Unlucky7 posted:

As a not good shump player, I got pretty far on Normal, but then I was intentionally playing lame and keeping the enemies to a low level. I don't know how much they change if you really take advantage of the Berserk system, but that seems like a cool idea for novices and experts alike.

Also, the haptics on the controller when parts slam into bosses for their phases is :discourse:

The shots get pretty drat fast. I was playing like Crimzon Clover, incessantly point blanking as much as possible and things get hectic quickly. Rank control is surely a factor. Pretty sure the enemy spawn waves are influenced by kill speed so you can end up in terrible positions if you're not careful. At max difficulty you die if the rank drops too low lol

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I beat hard finally ... took 5 hours ... and a lot more than zero continues.

I can beat levels 1-4 with 0-1 lives individually, but get sloppy stringing them together. 5 is a shitshow, and especially the boss. 6 isn't quite as bad.

I should have unlocked level select earlier to practice 5 & 6.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Still really enjoying Devil Blade but lol at losing my level memory after a weekend off.

I highly recommend it, but I suggest playing "normal" difficulty maybe a bit longer than you think, because unlocks are faster on it, and once you move to Hard it's really tedious and feels counter-productive to go back.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
I really suck at the "3d tunnel with lasers" section of the last stage. :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

If it helps, it seems a lot easier to survive by sticking to the middle of the area than the edges