Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
My wife and I weren't going to renew APs for 2016-17 anyway and take a break in anticipation of all the major refurbs and construction going on through 2018, but with today's news, gently caress it. Hopefully by the next time we buy APs, they'll come up with a less crappy deal for the amount of money you pay.

Disney Cruise Line will probably be getting our park money... so I guess it's a good thing the new alcohol policy there won't effect me that much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
In order for us to get into the same version of what AP we have now the two of us would be shelling out another $300. If we step down to the gold pass we spend and extra $125 above what we have now and PS we get a month worth of blackout dates. Seriously.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

demonR6 posted:

In order for us to get into the same version of what AP we have now the two of us would be shelling out another $300. If we step down to the gold pass we spend and extra $125 above what we have now and PS we get a month worth of blackout dates. Seriously.

Same here. I mean, I expect a price increase periodically, just not a sudden jump of around 25% out of the blue. That's bullshit. And I have no need whatsoever for a photopass so that's not even a value add.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
If we were to get the gold pass and step down then you drat well bet every single person when we go in our large groups will be putting their pictures on our MB. A lot of the ppl we go with are CM's or getting in with CM's so group pics etc.. it's all on us. Free downloads for everyone!

Skutter
Apr 8, 2007

Well you can fuck that sky high!

Just made a bunch of lunch and dinner reservations. We're doing the Prime Time Cafe and the Sci-Fi Dine-In on Halloween, which should be awesome. :D On a side note, is the PhotoPass thing worth it? I see it pop up on my WDE app, but it doesn't provide much information about it.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
gently caress my life. They didn't tell us anything about it and now we're finding out they get their photopass photos.

I mean I guess it's $2400 worth of memory makers. $800 if you knew how to game the system.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Skutter posted:

Just made a bunch of lunch and dinner reservations. We're doing the Prime Time Cafe and the Sci-Fi Dine-In on Halloween, which should be awesome. :D On a side note, is the PhotoPass thing worth it? I see it pop up on my WDE app, but it doesn't provide much information about it.

If it's your first time going or your kids' first time, yeah, I think it's worth it. If you're doing character meals or like to do those kitschy ride photo setups, you'll probably want to get it. I will say that I never buy it. It's just not something we care about. I don't push it.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Jesus, this fucks locals who care nothing about the Photopass.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Regarding the new cruise line booze policy- I can't hate it. For every person that I talked to that loved DCL for the service, someone else would say that their favorite thing was bringing on liquor. Seems like a ton of people just hung out in their rooms, getting super shitfaced and then wandered the decks being assholes- being aggressive with staff, puking on the running deck, etc. When we went to Castaway Cay, I had lunch with some of the staff and I was just asking them stuff about DCL and they all said that they loved working for them but the booze policy was a nightmare because of all the bad behavior it encouraged.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

Regarding the new cruise line booze policy- I can't hate it. For every person that I talked to that loved DCL for the service, someone else would say that their favorite thing was bringing on liquor. Seems like a ton of people just hung out in their rooms, getting super shitfaced and then wandered the decks being assholes- being aggressive with staff, puking on the running deck, etc. When we went to Castaway Cay, I had lunch with some of the staff and I was just asking them stuff about DCL and they all said that they loved working for them but the booze policy was a nightmare because of all the bad behavior it encouraged.

The worst people I ever dealt with on DCL were the ones who were way too aggressive over the character meet and greets. Though I've never encountered a belligerent drunk on board.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
For those of us not in the know, whats this crazy booze policy?

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
DCL previously allowed you to bring as much liquor as you could fit into a carry-on bag, per person. People brought poo poo-tons of booze on board. The only rule is that you can't bring it out of your room, which was BS because everyone made mixed drinks in tervis cups and went wherever. This was the most relaxed booze policy for pretty much any cruise line I know of. Now, I think you're allowed a six pack of beer or two bottles of wine/champagne per person. Liquor is locked up until you get home, including liquor bought at ports.

The worst behavior I personally saw on a 7 day cruise were a couple of drunk guys almost going to blows over something that happened in the hot tub and the guy that I thought was passed out on a bench until he leaned forward, puked and then laid back.

The crew mentioned parents too messed up to come and get their kids from the childcare areas and how disgusting some of the rooms were.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Gross. I never saw all that on my three cruises.

Although I did enjoy walking around with my rum and coke everywhere I go for the better part of a week.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Doronin posted:

Gross. I never saw all that on my three cruises.

Although I did enjoy walking around with my rum and coke everywhere I go for the better part of a week.

It just means you have to get creative like with regular cruises

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

I went on a DCL 2 years ago and we watched a guy get handsy with another guy's wife on the dance floor of one of the clubs. Plain clothes security swarmed in. It was fascinating to watch.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Fejsze posted:

It just means you have to get creative like with regular cruises

Clever. I might try that next time just for the hell of it.

I've snuck booze on a Carnival ship in a cleaned out mouthwash bottle before, but didn't go that in depth.

Agoat
Dec 4, 2012

I AM BAD AT GAMES
Lipstick Apathy
Living 30-45 minutes away from Disney is cool as poo poo. Winter Haven has cheaper hotels and Legoland which is pretty cool. We also got a Chipotle.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Doronin posted:

Clever. I might try that next time just for the hell of it.

I've snuck booze on a Carnival ship in a cleaned out mouthwash bottle before, but didn't go that in depth.

I once brought a blender, margarita mixers, and 6 Arizona Tea bottles full of tequila on one. Security just kind of shrugged like "at least you made some effort to hide it" and let me through.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Luigi Thirty posted:

Jesus, this fucks locals who care nothing about the Photopass.

Which is very close to what I said to the supervisor who ended up trying to convince me that giving up one month at all four parks AND paying an additional $200 was a great deal! No, it's not and gently caress you. I did however say if we went that route everyone in our party including strangers would enjoy free photopass.. but still, Disney can suck it. God help the poor soul who takes my call if I get email spam telling me to visit the resort for great passholder deals.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Eh, it's going to cost me about the same as I paid this year, so I'm cool with the new scheme.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
We got the notice about renewing before the new changes the day after the cutoff.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish
Just got my e-tickets for Tokyo next week, whoo!

OLC really need to get a better payment processor though. They take credit cards for e-tickets but only take Japanese-issued Amex and MasterCards for some reason? Just a word of warning for anyone else thinking of buying before they travel.

savetheclocktower
Sep 23, 2004

You wait and see, Mr. Caruthers. I will be president! I'll be the most powerful president in the history of America. And I'm gonna clean up this country!
So the girlfriend and I just booked 6 days/5 nights at WDW in early March. We were going to do late February, but then I saw that the Boardwalk Inn was unusually cheap first week of March, so I pulled the trigger.

This is our food trip, meant to cover all the restaurants we didn't get to last time (somehow we had missed all the restaurants at the World Showcase — since Food & Wine Festival was going on, we ate at the kiosks on our EPCOT day) so I was a bit nervous about booking something sooner than 180 days out. But I got every single reservation I wanted — Le Cellier, California Grill, you name it. Ohana was also available (though we didn't book it because my girlfriend is vegan and isn't wild about the family-style dining, plus we did the luau last time). The only thing I couldn't get was Be Our Guest at dinner, of course, but a lunch reservation was no sweat. (We had lunch there last time anyway, so we decided on Liberty Tree Tavern instead.)

I don't know if this means the whole "book popular restaurants 180 days out" thing is overblown, or if it just bodes well for the crowd levels during our trip. But I'll be pretty excited to begin each day at a different park and end most days at EPCOT within walking distance of our hotel.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

PkerUNO posted:

Just got my e-tickets for Tokyo next week, whoo!

OLC really need to get a better payment processor though. They take credit cards for e-tickets but only take Japanese-issued Amex and MasterCards for some reason? Just a word of warning for anyone else thinking of buying before they travel.

Japanese banking regulations for online transactions are pretty stiff because they don't want yakuza money laundering going on.

Leelee
Jul 31, 2012

Syntax Error

savetheclocktower posted:

So the girlfriend and I just booked 6 days/5 nights at WDW in early March. We were going to do late February, but then I saw that the Boardwalk Inn was unusually cheap first week of March, so I pulled the trigger.

This is our food trip, meant to cover all the restaurants we didn't get to last time (somehow we had missed all the restaurants at the World Showcase — since Food & Wine Festival was going on, we ate at the kiosks on our EPCOT day) so I was a bit nervous about booking something sooner than 180 days out. But I got every single reservation I wanted — Le Cellier, California Grill, you name it. Ohana was also available (though we didn't book it because my girlfriend is vegan and isn't wild about the family-style dining, plus we did the luau last time). The only thing I couldn't get was Be Our Guest at dinner, of course, but a lunch reservation was no sweat. (We had lunch there last time anyway, so we decided on Liberty Tree Tavern instead.)

I don't know if this means the whole "book popular restaurants 180 days out" thing is overblown, or if it just bodes well for the crowd levels during our trip. But I'll be pretty excited to begin each day at a different park and end most days at EPCOT within walking distance of our hotel.

We are going the exact same time! And at the Boardwalk! I also had an easy time of booking all the restaurants we wanted. If you want BoG dinner though, just keep checking.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

demonR6 posted:

We got the notice about renewing before the new changes the day after the cutoff.

Did their customer service not hook you up? I would think that if that is what happened, they might make an exception.

PkerUNO
Dec 21, 2007

Ambitious but rubbish

Luigi Thirty posted:

Japanese banking regulations for online transactions are pretty stiff because they don't want yakuza money laundering going on.

Aha, I had no idea. It's pretty inconvenient for foreign visitors though!

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Looking for some advice on my upcoming Disneyland trip. I've been to WDW several times and I'm pretty knowledgeable about it, but I've never been to Disneyland and am pretty clueless about the whole thing.

I have a 3-day park hopper, and I'm planning on going Sunday-Monday-Tuesday. Plan is DL Sunday, California Adventure Monday, DL with Magic Morning on Tuesday. Getting a park hopper was probably overkill, but I got it anyway. Tickets at Disney Hotels were unavailable, so I'm staying at a nearby hotel that's supposedly in walking distance. My decision to visit the parks on those specific days mostly came from the fact that Mickey's Halloween Party is at DL on Monday evening, and i do not have a ticket for it - they're sold out.

Not even sure exactly what advice I'm looking for. Places to eat, rides to make sure to get a fastpass for first thing in the AM, etc. I have a Tuesday dinner reservation at Blue Bayou - what are some other must-do restaurants? I'm equally excited about the rides that they don't have at WDW as I am about the rides that they DO have there so I can compare them.

Also, and I'm less worried about this, but what about Universal Studios Hollywood? A look at their website shows me that there isn't much there that I can't find at Universal Florida - is that accurate? I'm going there anyway, just wondering if there's any unique must-see's there.

CK07
Nov 8, 2005

bum bum BAA, bum bum, ba-bum ba baa..
Caveat: I don't know how much overlap there is between FL and CA, so sorry if some of this is repetitive or not of interest.

If you're a fatgoon who likes eating your head off on vacation (like me) get lunch at DL at Big Thunder Ranch. It's my favorite restaurant in the park, and it's going away (along with the nearby petting zoo!) when Star Wars Land comes in, so don't miss it. It's all you can eat decent bbq and excellent sides, plus there's a show while you eat most of the time. It is family-style but you never have to talk to the hicks sitting next to you if you don't want to. Also I think Blue Bayou is way overrated by most visitors, You're going to go on Pirates anyway and the line is going to be long, there's not much to look at in that line anyway, you get the idea. If you're going to splurge on a meal make it Carthay Circle, that place is REAL GOOD FOOD. And oh god the drinks, this pear martini that tastes like candy...good ambience as well. World of Color is give or take.

So parkhopper is probably not overkill at all - you just walk from one park to the other. Since you're not even driving, you will require zero transit options to get around the park, it's not like WDW in that way.. Being able to switch parks at will means you essentially get double the Fastpasses, because you can have one in each park at the same time. Good decision.

First fastpass in CA should be Radiator Springs Racers, what a great ride, even if you don't give a gently caress about Cars. Once you get it, sprint over the Midway Mania, that's the difference between a 30-minute wait and a 60+ wait and it's worth it even at 60. Monsters Inc is fun and low-key for when you need a little break. A Bug's Land is a bust unless you have kids. Another great spot to chill is in the animation place next to Off The Page, I don't think it'll spoil the atmosphere to say that they have multi-story screens in there projecting concept art and playing music. I love to sit and hang out in the Northern CA/redwoods area too, there's a smoking area where they pipe in birdsong and it's always quiet there. I think I do these parks differently from most people.

I don't actually ride most of the rides in DL, I hate dark coasters. If you find that you don't need more fastpasses by the middle of the day (unlikely but still), get one for World of Color, you can get a really great viewing spot and I advise you not to miss that spectacle. Indy is great and has a single-rider line that moves quite quickly if you don't care about not riding with your friends. Get a kebab near there, they're really good. See the Tiki Room, it's not long, it's cool, and you get to sit down. Go on Buzz Lightyear's ride in Tomorrowland, go on all the rides you think you should go on but the teacups are probably not worth it. Renewed Peter Pan is neat. Check out the art store on the right side just past the entrance tunnels next to Mr. Lincoln, they have really cool poo poo and it used to be the Disneyland Bank. Toontown is a waste of time unless you have small children or really care about Roger Rabbit, there's not even any good food there. I'm not sure if Innoventions will be open, what with Season of the Force coming up soon, but skip the bottom floor if it is. The new fireworks show is cool, get a good spot towards the middle of Main Street if you can. Carnation Cafe on Main Street is yummy for any meal. Oh, and the diorama windows right at the front of Main Street...just make sure you stop and take them in for a few good minutes. Trust me, wait a minute before you walk away from them.

Downtown Disney! The Jazz Kitchen is loving amazing, A++ would eat there constantly. The Lego Store is cool no matter what age you are. Naples is the other worthwhile restaurant there, really good pizza (praised by a friend from Italy). I also recommend stopping into the Grand Californian, the lobby is absolutely unbelievable if you like architecture at all. I also like exploring the Disneyland hotel, it has sort of a 60s-70s sophisticated feel and they have concept art in the conference room area up the escalators. Oh, Earl of Sandwich is a dependably good sandwich for not too much money.

Sorry for the wall of text, I'm getting excited for my next visit in November.

BaBo_FiSH
Feb 22, 2003

CK07 posted:

If you're a fatgoon who likes eating your head off on vacation (like me) get lunch at DL at Big Thunder Ranch. It's my favorite restaurant in the park, and it's going away (along with the nearby petting zoo!) when Star Wars Land comes in, so don't miss it. It's all you can eat decent bbq and excellent sides, plus there's a show while you eat most of the time. It is family-style but you never have to talk to the hicks sitting next to you if you don't want to.

I forgot to mention this place in my post on the last page. I am going to miss being able to pet the horses that pull the street cars but the bigger loss will be the meat buffet. We have eaten there every time we have been to the parks in the past two years. Being from Arizona the western theming is not usually my cup of tea but they do a good job with the live entertainment.

This first time we were there the guy walking around singing and playing the guitar found a table with a girl watching videos on her phone with her headphones in. He stood behind her and sung about her getting cues from the girls parents about her home town and name. I'm pretty sure the girl had no idea she was the focus of everyone in the restaurant for a good 3 minutes.

The food is great and I'm really going to miss that place. If you get the chance to eat there I would recommend it. The food is good, though you might be disappointed if you are really into barbecue. The vegetarian option they have is a tasty tofu vegetable skewer that I have gotten in addition to the regular bucket of meat.

I think I have three more trips planned this year and I am going to eat there each time before it gets closed down.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
The new HM MB is pretty phwoar

http://www.magicbandcollectors.com/high-quality-pictures-of-all-three-purple-magicbands-released-today/

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Just got this one. HM band is completely sold out across all locations. Sorry, forgot the TIMG tag.. at EC drinkitng around the world and enjoying a Erdinger Dunkel.. or two.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Oct 10, 2015

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Aw poo poo. I love that! I wish they had one with just Maleficent though. That's my homegirl.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Okay so I'm getting out of Spaceship Earth now, where can I get a rummy Dole Whip again because I need it.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Outside patio of Trader Sams, at the Polynesian.

Order it extra-spiky.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'll check it after I'm done with Food and Wine I'll check it.

Hanging in Belgium now.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Got all three.

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Oct 10, 2015

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
I am so happy I dont live in orlando or I would collect MBs like nobodys business

So is the HM wallpaper always purple? And if so, why did they release a grey one?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
They never had a base color of purple till now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008

demonR6 posted:

They never had a base color of purple till now.

oooooooooooOOOOOOOOOooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I see.

That's silly. Purple is awesome