Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Enentol posted:

Contents of the starter box have leaked:

http://imgur.com/a/T6qxk

Confirmed to include mini rulebook.

Those fingernails are kind of distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog
So, if those are the retail sprue, does anyone know if they come with the option of helmeted heads? I've been thinking about adding a sw contingent, mostly because I want to paint actual wolves, and want to put some termie armour on the table... but I don't like running marines stupid enough to go into combat with their faces exposed.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Nichol posted:

So, if those are the retail sprue, does anyone know if they come with the option of helmeted heads? I've been thinking about adding a sw contingent, mostly because I want to paint actual wolves, and want to put some termie armour on the table... but I don't like running marines stupid enough to go into combat with their faces exposed.

The sprue layout on the website shows it comes with enough helmets.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

Lord Twisted posted:

Rofl that is probably the most imbalanced box set yet. Five nobs with a 6+ save would mostly die to 1 round of shooting, and the Kans would be absolutely violated by the Terminators.

Also looks like the least content seen in a box set, and its probably more expensive.
Yeah, I'm not crazy about that but I'll still be picking it up as it has a lot of models I want. I already have a box of Nobz but why not have two for even more bits?

But yes those gretchin are going to die first turn every game

Nichol
May 18, 2004

Sly Dog

AbusePuppy posted:

Huh. That... that sure is some models. I don't even slightly understand why they would include any of those kits, though. I mean, for one those aren't even things you would use to make a "starter" army and even two copies of the box only barely gets you a (resoundingly mediocre) legal force.

It seems like a pretty standard start for SW? From there what is there but characters, cavalry, and vehicles?

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Nichol posted:

It seems like a pretty standard start for SW? From there what is there but characters, cavalry, and vehicles?

Well, hopefully the new SW give them some worthwhile units that aren't Grey Hunters or Long Fangs. It's just really weird that it's so small (one HQ, ten troop models, five non-troops?) and doesn't even try to form a legal army from things.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

AbusePuppy posted:

Well, hopefully the new SW give them some worthwhile units that aren't Grey Hunters or Long Fangs. It's just really weird that it's so small (one HQ, ten troop models, five non-troops?) and doesn't even try to form a legal army from things.

How is it not a legal force? I don't play space wolves or orks but from what I can see:
SW
Wolf Lord (HQ)
5x Wolf Guard (Elites)
5x Grey Hunters (Troops)
5x Blood Claws (Troops)

Orks
Warboss (HQ)
Killa Kans (HS or Elites)
5x Nobz (Elites)
Grotz (Troops)

Alright, well I guess the Ork army is a legal allied detachment? But the SW is definitely legal, and is exactly what I'd expect from a starter.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PierreTheMime posted:

The sprue layout on the website shows it comes with enough helmets.
The Space Wolf kits are when GW really started loading on the bits like crazy. There's so many head and helmet options in there, they even have Wolf Scout heads. It's a great kit.

AbusePuppy posted:

Huh. That... that sure is some models. I don't even slightly understand why they would include any of those kits, though. I mean, for one those aren't even things you would use to make a "starter" army and even two copies of the box only barely gets you a (resoundingly mediocre) legal force.
If I were starting Space Wolves that's exactly what I'd get, then I'd get transports for them. It's a decent starter block for an army if you ask me, and makes about as much sense as any other starter set.

The set itself is going to be $125 from GW:

That'll be $100 from Warstore or Frontline or any of the good 20% off folks. I think that's a drat good deal.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Can't argue with the price, it's a heavy discount.

AbusePuppy
Nov 1, 2012

BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!!!!!! so far.

Direwolf posted:

How is it not a legal force? I don't play space wolves or orks but from what I can see:
SW
Wolf Lord (HQ)
5x Wolf Guard (Elites)
5x Grey Hunters (Troops)
5x Blood Claws (Troops)

Orks
Warboss (HQ)
Killa Kans (HS or Elites)
5x Nobz (Elites)
Grotz (Troops)

Alright, well I guess the Ork army is a legal allied detachment? But the SW is definitely legal, and is exactly what I'd expect from a starter.

I guess I was interpreting the SW half as 10x Grey Hunters, because I never actually see Blood Claws on the battlefield, but I could very easily be mistaken there.

The Ork half is pretty unquestionably not an actual army, though, since Nobz can't be troops anymore. That was part of the reason I was seeing the SW part as the same.

On an unrelated note: an army consisting of nothing but Allied Detachments cannot legally select a warlord, despite all of GW's jumping through hoops to try and avoid that problem. Oops.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

AbusePuppy posted:

I guess I was interpreting the SW half as 10x Grey Hunters, because I never actually see Blood Claws on the battlefield, but I could very easily be mistaken there.

The Ork half is pretty unquestionably not an actual army, though, since Nobz can't be troops anymore. That was part of the reason I was seeing the SW part as the same.

On an unrelated note: an army consisting of nothing but Allied Detachments cannot legally select a warlord, despite all of GW's jumping through hoops to try and avoid that problem. Oops.

They could be 10x Grey Hunters or two packs of 5 Grey Hunters. Hunters and Blood Claws come from the same kit, it's just a matter of how you paint and model them.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Of course the Orks are a legal army! They're UNBOUND.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

1 cardboard standee Ork Dreadnought

I know a guy who still has it, and uses it whenever he plays his Orks.

The look on newbies when they see it is priceless.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Hmm, if only I didn't have all the Orks I will ever need. Nobz, Kanz and Grotz...poor Orks.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

AbusePuppy posted:

Honestly the kit is almost exactly Dark Vengeance. The Marines are the same minus the 3 bikers, the Chaos are the same minus a troops choice (3 mini dreads instead of one full dread aside). I see the real issue being that it's $25 more than DV for, well, less. But, well, pricechat.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

TKIY posted:

Can't argue with the price, it's a heavy discount.

Except I don't want SW and the heavy iconography makes them tough to use as a Vanilla Chapter, and I don't need 3 more nerfed walkers. I'd take the Nobz, War Boss and Grots, but I have scads of each of those already.

That said, if you are new to the hobby, this set is pretty great. Which I guess is why rumors of GW hating Grogs and courting kids always float around.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
Anyone planning to buy two should PM me about the mini rulebook because I will pay or trade for it. TIA.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Anyone planning to buy two should PM me about the mini rulebook because I will pay or trade for it. TIA.

You don't have a rule book yet?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Slimnoid posted:

It's still -technically- a GW model! I've got two in my old 2nd ed box along with all the Orks.

Direwolf posted:

Honestly the kit is almost exactly Dark Vengeance. The Marines are the same minus the 3 bikers, the Chaos are the same minus a troops choice (3 mini dreads instead of one full dread aside). I see the real issue being that it's $25 more than DV for, well, less. But, well, pricechat.
It's not really less. Yeah, it's fewer models, but with waaaaay more options and bits. It's a sidegrade.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Nope. gently caress that noise. Too much money and I don't need the two volumes the rules are sandwiched between.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

SRM posted:

It's still -technically- a GW model! I've got two in my old 2nd ed box along with all the Orks.

It's not really less. Yeah, it's fewer models, but with waaaaay more options and bits. It's a sidegrade.

Warhammer 40,000 sidegrade edition (formerly 7th edition). See Ork codex and Storm Claw box set for reference.

Tuxedo Jack posted:

Nope. gently caress that noise. Too much money and I don't need the two volumes the rules are sandwiched between.

No kidding. On another note I have a personal question for you; check your PMs

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
Has anyone heard anything about the tactical objective cards? I waited to get them from my friendly super slow but discounted online retailer, but now it seems like they're out of stock. Everywhere. How hard is it to keep a pack of cards in print?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Indolent Bastard posted:

I don't either, so any UK goons buying 2 boxes, I'll buy a mini rulebook off you.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Slimnoid posted:

But does it have a painted and flocked base? :haw:

As an additional bonus, you can turn sideways and hide behind a lamp post :v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

SRM posted:

Don't forget Warhammer 40k 2nd edition:
20 Grots
20 Ork Boyz
20 Tactical Marines
1 cardboard standee Ork Dreadnought
Card ruins
Total models: 60

The ultimate value! :v:

I agree it's a sidegrade, and I don't mind it in the least.

Yeah but it was also like super cheap if I remember right and come on, cardboard Ork Dreadnought was awesome.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Yeah but it was also like super cheap if I remember right and come on, cardboard Ork Dreadnought was awesome.

Not even die-cut? Boo.....

At least the artwork is good.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Indolent Bastard posted:

Not even die-cut? Boo.....

At least the artwork is good.

It was a different time. A simpler time. A more colorful time.

Speaking of, just got in the paints I needed from Warstore for my next retro project...

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

I am also willing to get a mini-rulebook off a UK goon, depending on what the rulebook is like.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

SRM posted:

I don't see how more options on given models is better or even equivalent to getting more models. I'd call having a fast attack option and another troops option more options than being able to put either a plasma gun or a melta gun in your wolf squad.

Even if I agree that it's a sidegrade, it's $25 more. Still a good deal for all the models ensemble, but it's way, way less of a good deal than DV was.

I do think the ork force is a little weird, the more that I look at it. It's an iconic...grot force, really. Kinda weird to have the starter Orks not have a single Boy, when presumably most Ork armies will be crawling with them.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

SRM posted:

Speaking of, just got in the paints I needed from Warstore for my next retro project...

Squats? Please tell me it's Squats.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Where do people see that it's full sprue kits instead of snap-together? Yes, I see that the sculpts are the same, but couldn't they have been recut (whatever the appropriate term is) into snap-together models?

I guess mainly my disbelief comes from the idea that they'd use fully complex kits in a starter box (which this presumably is, otherwise why include the mini rulebook? If it's just like a campaign box or something, they'd just assume that everyone has already bought the full price book, since then their target audience is existing ~Loyal GW Customers~).

Looking the gift horse in the mouth aside, I'm happy that a mini rulebook will be out in the wild now, even though I'll probably go ebay for it if I can find one in any reasonable amount of time.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Pierzak posted:

Squats? Please tell me it's Squats.

Is it even possible to find original squats anymore?

JerryLee posted:

I'm happy that a mini rulebook will be out in the wild now, even though I'll probably go ebay for it if I can find one in any reasonable amount of time.

I too am happy, it can replace the 6th edition mini rulebook I never actually got to use. Gonna stick with Dark Angels as a tiny allied force though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
It would make sense to use the full kits as a hastily thrown together slapdash new starter set. No time or money to waste on new sprues.

It will be awful for what its meant to do though. You know, start someone in this awful hobby of ours. That amount of customisation and level of building needed will turn away more than it will entice.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
I hate to fill up this thread with mini-rulebook deals, but if any CDN-goon wants to sell a rulebook, I'd be all over that.

username at gmail

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

SRM posted:

It's still -technically- a GW model!

That's the best part! He brought it to 'Ard Boys once I think, and they let it fly.

Pierzak posted:

But does it have a painted and flocked base? :haw:

As an additional bonus, you can turn sideways and hide behind a lamp post :v:

No, but he did hide it behind a wall once. Infuriated his opponent (who was a No Fun Haver neckbeard anyway).

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

Safety Factor posted:

And whatever the hell this is:

I'll tell you what it is: something that owns.

PierreTheMime posted:

It's been preempted by 30 Gargoyles and an Exocrine but I'll get to it eventually.

PierreTheMime suicide watch day 2. :rip:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

serious gaylord posted:

It would make sense to use the full kits as a hastily thrown together slapdash new starter set. No time or money to waste on new sprues.

It will be awful for what its meant to do though. You know, start someone in this awful hobby of ours. That amount of customisation and level of building needed will turn away more than it will entice.

In that case, if it actually is intended as a starter set, a significantly less terrible option would have been to keep using the DV models and rewrite the rules inserts. The models are still aces, and the target audience won't care that it features two of the three or four worst codices out there.

I can only assume, if what you're guessing is true, that they weighted the tie-in with Sanctus Reach way too heavily, and since Sanctus Reach was already a transparently cynical attempt to push their newest armies...

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Post 9-11 User posted:

PierreTheMime suicide watch day 2. :rip:

Haha. I actually got 3 done today (slow work day), so I'm already 1/6 of the way there!

Only.... Ten more days of painting tiny wings to go...
Ten... Full days.... :smithicide:

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

I'm not hugely familiar with Mehreen stuff. Is... is that a bike as a turret? Because if so, that's fantastic.

It should detach to operate on its own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gilljoy
May 3, 2009
Any uk goons want to buy the ork half of the box?

• Locked thread