Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

i should build a new compy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

same, i haven't owned a computer with a pcie slot in 4 years

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

fishmech posted:

remove old drive, boot from windows 10 setup disk thing to enter boot repair, have it run boot repair until it makes a new boot thingy

it needed the EFI partition and there was no space on the disk after it allocated the whole thing to the new volume. i found this http://superuser.com/a/1091055 and it worked great. don't reinstall if you find yourself in my shoes, folks.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Windurrs10 somehow managed to put my EFI system partition on disk 1 which I am using as the backup disk despite the install being pointed exclusively at disk 0. Microsoft.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

Windurrs10 somehow managed to put my EFI system partition on disk 1 which I am using as the backup disk despite the install being pointed exclusively at disk 0. Microsoft.

I ran into this issue when transferring my windows 10 install from an old SATA SSD to a shiny new NVMe SSD. I transferred over the data and it wouldn't boot anymore. I then used boot repair from the windows install disk and well, instead of repairing the boot on the new SSD it hosed the boot on the old SSD up, so that wouldn't even boot anymore.

I ended up reinstalling.

loving EFI man...

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
ive used macrium reflect to move installs the last few times so i haven't tried side by side installs like that in a while.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
idgi, why does Microsoft spread out installs over multiple disks like that to begin with

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if it detects an existing bootloader it probably adds your new install to it for the purposes of dual booting.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shaggar posted:

if it detects an existing bootloader it probably adds your new install to it for the purposes of dual booting.

this.

also if it encounters any problems modifying the partition tables to add a boot partition iirc, it fails over to adding it to the next drive it finds. only having one drive in forces it to try harder on the intended drive

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol that the process is governed by "trying harder"

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol that the process is governed by "trying harder"

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

like windows is using the same logic I do while high where I put one piece of pizza in the oven but then make one in the microwave while I'm waiting

Zev
Apr 3, 2009
I hate sap. How do I learn sap?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

theflyingexecutive posted:

like windows is using the same logic I do while high where I put one piece of pizza in the oven but then make one in the microwave while I'm waiting

What the gently caress just eat the za cold don't microwave it

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Zev posted:

im pretty sure the kind of interns that have to use sap are also the kind of interns that work for 'experience' and 'networking' instead of money so just get some of those probably

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Zev posted:

install pine or elm

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

CrazyLittle posted:

install pine or elm

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Captain Foo posted:

What the gently caress just eat the za cold don't microwave it

this or pro tier it with a griddle because everything else is trash garbage for pineapple idiots

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CrazyLittle posted:

install pine or elm

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe
i'm having an issue where my freebsd box using zfs reports my entire zpool to my monitoring server, but zfs on linux only shows /dev/shm and /sys/fs/cgroup

anybody know why this might be?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

abraham linkedin posted:

i'm having an issue where my freebsd box using zfs reports my entire zpool to my monitoring server, but zfs on linux only shows /dev/shm and /sys/fs/cgroup

anybody know why this might be?

there's 0 details in there so no. are you using a monitoring client template for bsd and it's expecting something linux doesn't have? root privileges? you didn't mention your root fs so is that working or is the entire thing on zfs

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

hifi posted:

there's 0 details in there so no. are you using a monitoring client template for bsd and it's expecting something linux doesn't have? root privileges? you didn't mention your root fs so is that working or is the entire thing on zfs

it's just polling snmp on freebsd and linux, so no template weirdness or privilege issues

also, the linux box is root on zfs

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

abraham linkedin posted:

it's just polling snmp on freebsd and linux, so no template weirdness or privilege issues

also, the linux box is root on zfs
what does the snmpd.conf on the linux box say that snmp is monitoring

can you manually snmpwalk to the oids for the other filesystems

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

https://github.com/zfsonlinux/zfs/issues/2410

maybe this is your problem

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
i inherited an ancient debian machine that has a nightly job running, but it's not in cron. any ideas on how i can track down what's running the job?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
other users crons

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Sniep posted:

other users crons

not in -any- users' crontab ie somebody got creative because apparently I'm the first person to actually bother making a crontab

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
what user is running it and what's in their homedir

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
found it - was added to cron.daily instead of any user's crontab... duh

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CrazyLittle posted:

found it - was added to cron.daily instead of any user's crontab... duh

Linux is fuckin stupid lol

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Captain Foo posted:

Linux is fuckin stupid lol

much like php it encourages people to do dumb things in new and creative ways

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

CrazyLittle posted:

much like php it encourages people to do dumb things in new and creative ways
https://twitter.com/CiPHPerCoder/status/830161769888940032

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
on one hand lol

on the other hand lol

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CrazyLittle posted:

on one hand lol

on the other hand lol

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

NaCl is good, it tries to prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot

php people will find a way to do it regardless

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

spankmeister posted:

NaCl is good, it tries to prevent you from shooting yourself in the foot

php people will find a way to do it regardless
in their wiki for libsodium they admit they haven't touched libmcrypt for eight years so they're off to a really good start

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my keyboard is finally dying

what do I buy for a pro gay ming keyboard

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
monoprice enthusiast keyboard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anthonypants