Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I think I've found a bit of a problem with third party keyboards. It seems that they (or at least SwiftKey...) can't access keyboard shortcuts as set up in Settings. I have a lot of shortcuts set up and it's a bit of a pain to switch keyboards for them, especially since you can't hold the little world icon to bring up the full list of all your keyboards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Question Mark Mound posted:

I think I've found a bit of a problem with third party keyboards. It seems that they (or at least SwiftKey...) can't access keyboard shortcuts as set up in Settings. I have a lot of shortcuts set up and it's a bit of a pain to switch keyboards for them, especially since you can't hold the little world icon to bring up the full list of all your keyboards.

Yeah, Apple doesn't allow third party access to keyboard shortcuts.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

the kawaiiest posted:

Yeah, Apple doesn't allow third party access to keyboard shortcuts.
That's quite a shame. I was really getting used to using swiping for most of my typing, but getting to the emoji keyboard feels like such a pain. If I want to have a pictograph of a sheep farting and then a lump of poo, it should be instant!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

noirstronaut posted:

Are there still bad Lightning cables? I bought a $10 cable with a car charger from the gas station a few months ago and it's still running strong and I haven't engulfed in flames yet.

If the cables are officially certified like the Amazon and MonoPrice ones then they're good, but uncertified cables can explode and burn your house down yes.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Boris Galerkin posted:

If the cables are officially certified like the Amazon and MonoPrice ones then they're good, but uncertified cables can explode and burn your house down yes.

I think the issue was more that they stopped working. But it's been two years now since Lightning came out, so I wouldn't be surprised if the Chinese manufacturers have figured out how to clone the chips properly.

Now, random Chinese power supplies I wouldn't touch. Those really will burn your house down.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

benisntfunny posted:

If it really supported Apple pay my answer would have been "no"

It did support apple pay.

Card poped up, fingerprint read, and I was done in under a second.

Then she asked to see information. I'm sure it was just her wanted to follow some policy that wont be necessary anymore.

It just made my first time using it unnecessarily awkward. :(

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've found a swipe keyboard with emoji support called TouchPal. Can anyone vouch for it being safe enough to use as my main keyboard and that they won't be scraping passwords and poo poo if I enable full access?

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!
I'm back on iOS after about two years on Android. I'm digging it so far, but have two questions:

1) Is there a quicker way to get to the WiFi networks and/or Bluetooth connection screens? This is probably less of a problem once I've paired with all my Bluetooth crap and made initial connections to my usual WiFi networks.

2) Is there a way to cancel an alarm after I snooze it?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Sobriquet posted:

I'm back on iOS after about two years on Android. I'm digging it so far, but have two questions:

1) Is there a quicker way to get to the WiFi networks and/or Bluetooth connection screens? This is probably less of a problem once I've paired with all my Bluetooth crap and made initial connections to my usual WiFi networks.

2) Is there a way to cancel an alarm after I snooze it?

1) A quicker way than tapping settings and wifi or Bluetooth? You could tell Siri to open wifi or Bluetooth settings as needed. I think the answer is no.

2) yeah, go to the clock app from control panel and turn off the snoozed alarm. Or tell Siri to turn off your alarm.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Honestly, who out there is even going to use CurrenC? Like, the people that would know how to use it seem like the same people who are saying "This is a bad idea" or "We were fine with NFC" and realize that this is terrible.
All Things Considered ran a story yesterday about how Apple Pay "hit a stumbling block", equating it to the failure of Google Wallet, just because Rite-Aid and CVS are on the CurrenC train. At no point did they even mention Walgreen's supporting Apple Pay. It's as close to a hack job as you'll ever see from NPR.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
When my 6+ gets here I want to set it up as a new phone and have a clean slate, rather than restoring from my cluttered 4's backup. That way I can use it for a while and figure out what apps I truly need, as I need them, instead of sorting through a dozen folders and thinking "Well I might use/play that some day..."

There are some apps with saved data I know I will want to carry over. ifunbox doesn't look to support the new phones/os yet, so how can I move select saved app data to the new phone? Is it possible?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Bummey posted:

There are some apps with saved data I know I will want to carry over. ifunbox doesn't look to support the new phones/os yet, so how can I move select saved app data to the new phone? Is it possible?

Some apps have iCloud save slots, like xcom. If your games support that, it would be the easiest way to go.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

tuyop posted:

Some apps have iCloud save slots, like xcom. If your games support that, it would be the easiest way to go.

Yup, but for those that don't? The jailbreak software DataDeposit has spoiled me for this.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bummey posted:

Yup, but for those that don't? The jailbreak software DataDeposit has spoiled me for this.
Create an encrypted backup and restore from that.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Endless Mike posted:

Create an encrypted backup and restore from that.

He doesn't want to restore from backup.

Bummey posted:

See if you can install them on another device signed into your iCloud first and if they sync your saves then use the second device as a backup. Maybe do this in an evening watching TWD with an iPhone bro or something?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

What if I backup my 4, plug in my 6, and install the apps via iTunes? Would they bring over the stored saved data that way even if I'm not restoring from a backup? It's totally asinine that there's no easy way to just copy saved data.

Eh, I'll figure out on Thursday. Maybe I will have to restore from my 4 and then spend the night pruning the gently caress out of it.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You could delete all of the apps aside from the ones you want to carry over, make an iCloud backup of that, and then restore to that backup when you get your 6+.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
I'm having an issue with iCloud backup. When I go into iCloud, it says I have 6.0gb available, out of 20gb. If I go into Manage Storage, it lists my backup for my phone as 13.9gb. I don't have any other devices backing up on that account right now. If I click on the iPhone, it lists my next backup as needing 23.6gb, and the highest data using app is my Photo Library, listed at 19.3gb. That seemed really weird, so I went to check in General > Usage > Storage, and my Photos & Camera app is listed as only 10.8gb. Any idea on what could be causing the 10gb difference?

Amber Alert
Aug 28, 2009

fuk cyka

noirstronaut posted:

You could delete all of the apps aside from the ones you want to carry over, make an iCloud backup of that, and then restore to that backup when you get your 6+.

Seconded. Just trim down the 4 to what you want to be on the new phone and restore that.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

So my boss's car got broken into, and they took his Mac laptop and his backup HD. He still has his phone, and with that, his iPhoto library in a way I imagine. Is there a way to pull the library from his phone and put it on his iMac? This is the thing he's the most worried about losing.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've found a swipe keyboard with emoji support called TouchPal. Can anyone vouch for it being safe enough to use as my main keyboard and that they won't be scraping passwords and poo poo if I enable full access?

Third party keyboards shouldn't even come up when you're typing passwords. If it's any sort of secure field like a password or a credit card number, you should get the Apple keyboard automatically.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
You could also just use something like ifunbox to back up the data for apps you want backed up, get new phone, download apps, import data.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster

IUG posted:

So my boss's car got broken into, and they took his Mac laptop and his backup HD. He still has his phone, and with that, his iPhoto library in a way I imagine. Is there a way to pull the library from his phone and put it on his iMac? This is the thing he's the most worried about losing.

Dropbox Camera Upload?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

IUG posted:

Did he turn on Find my Mac? :ohdear:

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

tuyop posted:

Did he turn on Find my Mac? :ohdear:

Yeah, but I'm handling that in the Mac thread.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling
I've been trying to change the "Year" field for an album in my iTunes library, and the changes absolutely refuse to sync across to the Music app on my phone. I've tried deleting the album from my phone and resyncing it, deleting it from my iTunes library, re-adding it, and resyncing it, toggling music sync for my phone and then resyncing my entire library. The correct year is listed for the album in iTunes, in Finder's "Get Info" window for the individual mp3s, and in CanOpener on my phone, but the original incorrect year is still displayed in the Music app.

I can only assume that there's some cache of metadata maintained by the Music app that isn't being updated as it should, but I don't have any idea how to access or clear it. Any suggestions?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Kaizoku posted:

You could also just use something like ifunbox to back up the data for apps you want backed up, get new phone, download apps, import data.

I mentioned that in my post. I checked the ifunbox website and it doesn't list compatibility with the new phones or ios8. If it does work, bingo, I'll do what I was originally planning to do.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

So my boyfriend has an upgrade available. We both use AT&T but we are on different plans. Would it be possible for him to buy a new phone, and for us to then swap sim cards or something so that I have his newest phone with all my data and he has my current phone? What's the procedure?

Might be a good time to look into non-two year contracts, too, but I'm not sure what I'd even be looking for there.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax
If you want all your data from your current phone you'll have to restore from a backup while setting it up but yeah if you just swap the sims then it'll be like you just switched phones.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I just cracked my month-old 6 today because it slipped out of my hand when I got out of my car. Fortunately Amex will pay for the screen replacement costs since it's within a 90 day window, but this is the first time I've broken a phone screen and I've had iPhones since the original. Guess I really am gonna have to go with a case now. These things are just too slippery and even if you're babying it the thing'll fall before you know it.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Whirlwind Jones posted:

If you want all your data from your current phone you'll have to restore from a backup while setting it up but yeah if you just swap the sims then it'll be like you just switched phones.

Is there anything to watch out for, like if at some point I had a problem with the phone and went to apple with it and they went "this isn't your phone" or something?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Clocks posted:

Is there anything to watch out for, like if at some point I had a problem with the phone and went to apple with it and they went "this isn't your phone" or something?
No. Apple honors warranties from the date of purchase until the end of it, including AppleCare, even if ownership changes.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

kefkafloyd posted:

These things are just too slippery and even if you're babying it the thing'll fall before you know it.

You weren't babying it FYI.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

IUG posted:

The iPhone follows DCIM rules and appears like any other digital camera when attached to a computer and unlocked.

iPhoto or Image Capture (or whatever else he may have made default on his iMac) should pop up and immediately offer to suck down his photos and videos. If it doesn't, you just need to launch it yourself and then you can go hog wild.

Edit: Or maybe that won't work. iOS and iTunes/iPhoto have varied in the way iPhoto albums synced back to the device are exposed. Eh, give it a shot. At least anything he shot with the phone should be easily recoverable.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Oct 29, 2014

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

withak posted:

You weren't babying it FYI.

Babying it as much as you can while going caseless, then. It slipped because I got sloppy and it's totally my fault.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Clocks posted:

Basically only if you're sharing an Apple ID, you break up, and he changes the password and puts your phone in lost mode.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

Basically only if you're sharing an Apple ID, you break up, and he changes the password and puts your phone in lost mode.
Only if she initially sets it up with his ID which there is no reason to do. With iTunes Family Sharing I don't think there's any reason to share accounts at all at this point.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Molten Llama posted:

Haha, yeah, if we break up we're going to have way bigger issues than who has whose phone. We have our separate apple IDs. Glad to hear the process is simple, thanks everyone!

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.
So this is interesting...

NY Times posted:

Apple Pay Runs Afoul of MCX, a Group With a Rival Product
By MIKE ISAACOCT. 28, 2014

One week after its debut, Apple’s new mobile wallet is showing promise with consumers.

Apple’s rivals in the payments industry, meanwhile, are scrambling to prevent it from being too successful.

Even before Apple Pay was announced, a coalition of retailers refused to accept it in their stores. More than 50 companies make up this group, the so-called Merchant Customer Exchange or MCX, including global retail giants like Walmart, Best Buy and Gap Inc.

It’s not that these companies don’t want a mobile wallet to truly catch on with consumers. They see the mobile wallet as a way to help retailers understand more about their customers’ shopping habits and, potentially, let merchants avoid the high fees they pay when processing credit card transactions.

But they are working on building a competitor, CurrentC, a mobile wallet app that will connect directly to customers’ bank accounts or store-specific credit card. It won’t be available until 2015.

Timothy D. Cook, Apple’s chief executive, on Monday in Laguna Beach, Calif.Apple Pay Already a Huge Hit, Cook SaysOCT. 28, 2014

Timothy D. Cook, chief executive of Apple, unveiling Apple Pay last month.As PayPal Spins Off, Apple Pay Signals New Era at Cash RegisterSEPT. 30, 2014
Apple says Apple Pay is more secure than a traditional credit card payment, because the system sends one-time codes to merchants to complete purchases rather than actual credit card numbers.

The problem is that under the terms of their MCX contractual agreement, they are not supposed to accept competing mobile payments products like Apple Pay, according to multiple retailers involved with MCX, who spoke on the condition of anonymity. If these retailers break their contracts, they will face steep fines for doing so, these people said.

Credit card machines could be replaced by one of the new methods of payment, like Apple Pay or CurrentC from stores.

Since Apple Pay was introduced a week ago, consumers have tried to use it in MCX members like Rite Aid and CVS. So those businesses have disabled the technology that supports Apple Pay.

I have used Softcard (Android Apple Pay) at CVS before, I use it all the time at the Walgreens by my house. Given CVSs business model has been to open up as closely to Walgreens as possible I have a brand new CVS opening in a few weeks a block down, the last two times I have been to Walgreens the question has changed from "Oh, is that Apple Pay?" to "Wow, everyone is paying with their phones now, do you like it?"

This is going to cost CVS a lot of money in urban areas, I wonder how long they can keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Walgreens new marketing message can center around how you can still buy cigarettes there, and you can pay for them with your phone.