Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Hey, John. I think there were a lot of silver ferns because, like, I thnk, maybe it's cos it's the team's logo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

truther posted:

Hey, John. I think there were a lot of silver ferns because, like, I thnk, maybe it's cos it's the team's logo

LALALALALALA CANT HEAR YOU BEER AND MATES BBQ SNAGS

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Why isn't the flag just a picture of his face or him doing the guns

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007
"There were very few New Zealand flags in the crowd" I don't know, it's almost like we're not hyper-nationalist flag fetishists like Australia or the USA, but no lets have a sports team logo because reasons.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Chalupa Joe posted:

"There were very few New Zealand flags in the crowd" I don't know, it's almost like we're not hyper-nationalist flag fetishists like Australia or the USA, but no lets have a sports team logo because reasons.

Yeah I figure if we just make it red and blue instead of black we'll see a lot more flags at our national games (which we will watch with our mates while drinking beer and having meat pies) despite the fact that our national team's colours are not red and blue

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

puchu posted:

What were the names of the two men

Yom Ahma and Yorsi Steer.

Slavvy posted:

Did you wear ear plugs for the accent, or just used duct tape?

I don't understand why you assume they were awake. Or, for that matter, alive.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress I could go a pie

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

gently caress yeah steak and cheese

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Charter schools are a great success.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/education/news/article.cfm?c_id=35&objectid=11501047

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

all the news about charter schools makes me so depressed. The government announced their plans and people warned them about these exact issues. The government "consulted" over their plans and people warned them about these exact issues. The government proceeded with their first round of schools and people warned them about these exact issues. The first round of schools had these exact issues, and the government proceeded with the second round of schools with people warning them about these exact issues. The second round of schools have these exact issues.

gently caress

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

fong posted:

all the news about charter schools makes me so depressed. The government announced their plans and people warned them about these exact issues. The government "consulted" over their plans and people warned them about these exact issues. The government proceeded with their first round of schools and people warned them about these exact issues. The first round of schools had these exact issues, and the government proceeded with the second round of schools with people warning them about these exact issues. The second round of schools have these exact issues.

gently caress

It's almost like they don't care about what people want and just do whatever they want

Weird

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

WarpedNaba posted:

Yom Ahma and Yorsi Steer.
this is the member list of die antwoord

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Each new story about a charter clusterfuck leaves me simultaneously hating them more, and idly wondering how I get in on the scam myself.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Hey guys, it's the govt. they know what they are doing. Chillax :cool:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

kris_b posted:

Each new story about a charter clusterfuck leaves me simultaneously hating them more, and idly wondering how I get in on the scam myself.

I think you start by donating a substantial amount to the National Party campaign fund.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

gently caress yeah steak and cheese

Pepper steak

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Also you'd think Key would be against the silver fern as a flag considering how much he hates colours other than White.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

He saw a lot of fern flags therefore people must prefer plant flags

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

Pepper steak

Also good but must be hot

puchu
Sep 20, 2004

hiya~

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Also you'd think Key would be against the silver fern as a flag considering how much he hates colours other than White.

Actually he loves them as long as they bring money, it's the Labour Party who hate non-whites remember?

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

puchu posted:

Actually he loves them as long as they bring money, it's the Labour Party who hate non-whites remember?

Ferns ain't buying up all the houses in Auckland!

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
LIttle said something good by denouncing TPPA, but with conditions that being if it fucks us over, we are out if signed.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

He saw a lot of fern flags therefore people must prefer plant flags

Somewhat appropriate for a country of vegetables.

e: Speaking of the TPPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw7P0RGZQxQ

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

I know I'm too late but I came up with a totally original flag idea (and a bunch of alternate flag colours)

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Make it a picture of John key giving America a blowjob

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

How about ponytails in a crypto-swastika?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

Make it a picture of John key giving America a blowjob

Couldn't such a thing be considered "harmful communications"?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Of all the things Barons has said about John Key, that is the least harmful communication legitimate truth.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Somebody fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 24, 2015

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

oohhboy posted:

LIttle said something good by denouncing TPPA, but with conditions that being if it fucks us over, we are out if signed.

Yeah but has anyone even been so far as to want do feel look like even?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Weird, i didn't see anything prominent in the media about the global markets crisis?

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011

Exclamation Marx posted:

Weird, i didn't see anything prominent in the media about the global markets crisis?

Business section for Stuff and NZH both have stories, and a article on China is the lead for NZH.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

It's a crisis that doesn't exactly sound like bread or circuses to me.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Taitale posted:

and a article on China is the lead for NZH.

Not when I posted!

[quote="Investigation finds 'multiple failures' at Mt Eden
"]
An investigation by the Ombudsman into an assault at Mt Eden remand prison has found multiple failures by Corrections, which in turn has told its contractor Serco to apologise to the injured prisoner.

The segregated prisoner was assaulted twice in early 2013 by mainstream inmates who got into the yard but the jail's inquiry into how it happened didn't begin until October that year.

The assaulted prisoner's lawyer, Craig Tuck, told Checkpoint the man was knocked out, as well as suffering other injuries.

Ombudsman Dame Beverley Wakem has finished her investigation and castigated the Corrections Department for failing to properly look into the assaults.

Mr Tuck said his client was one of many who had contacted him with concerns, wanting to be moved from the prison.

He said it had highlighted bigger, systemic failures within the running of the prison.

Mr Tuck said CCTV footage had either disappeared or was destroyed.[/quote]
:waycool:

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
The Free Market Will Fix It

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Privatise the police too imo

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

fong posted:

Privatise the police too imo

Privatise the whole government, let corporations decide our laws

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Somfin posted:

Privatise the whole government, let corporations decide our laws

You're in luck, buddy! Good ol' bloke's bloke John Key's doing exactly that with that fair dinkum TPPA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
I obviously have pretty formed opinions before this but the New Zealand Government is actually literally starting to slip in 'highly classified court sessions' or 'secret courts' or 'whatever book title you want to compare it to' provisions into legislation.

I am just going to drop my wig into conversation and encourage all readers to come right down to Tūrangawaewae :

The Attorney General has 'casually' proposed amendments to add "Closed material proceedings" or "Secret Courts" or "book title reference of your choice" to Health and Safety legislation and is already enshrined in our TICSA legislation (it is from there I was originally interested and concerned). These provisions allow for special advocates who are to mediate between the accused and represent them but keep the evidence being used to convict them and to keep that information confidential as necessary/sought by the Government Agency at hand.

This does not substantially address the inherent unfairness of keeping evidence secret from the accused being used to convict the Government will suggest is still necessary. I imagine said person saying there are always cases that cross over national security and we can't discuss EVERYTHING that is relevant to the case, even in health and safety. Like a soldier getting injured in a not--unclassified place or exercise, maybe they are claiming ACC for repetitive stress injury from operating a Drone or something. We don't want to disclose the location, or the nature of the drone operation table in the case. They will make it sound trivial or something.

Realistically, someone would say, that these provisions would affect very few people and probably at worst be used against that nominally pro ISIS Maori guy who was on the Herald Front Cover when he tries to pop the Waihopai dome cover and there isn't a jury willing to basically refused to convict. No one really feels bad?

Still yet, there are mounds, mounds, of scholarship and lived experiences that indicate these expansions of secrecy in the Courts are not good for freedoms, liberties, human rights and so on and completely ripe for abuse and have a chilling effect on the population that are in sum, contrary to our principles of justice and rule of law. Even if they can be effectively put into practice, the harms and weakening of trust in our court process and democratic processes I argue outweigh the gains of the legislative policy. As soon as some moderately bad things happen, these provisions will be exercised with greater strength and with more ease than we can easily expect now.

The best form of legal resistance is to promote the idea that cases can only be decided on fully admitted evidence. Perhaps, some sort of confidential information can be allowed to deny you bail, but it cannot convict you, or sentence you based on that information. The Law Society themselves have indicated some attention to this issue and willingness to resist the adoption of special advocates and closed material proceedings:

" “However, it should always be a measure of last resort. A closed material proceedings and special advocate regime should only be used in very limited and carefully defined circumstances.”

The Law Society says that in all but the most unusual of circumstances, the Crown should be able to make its decisions and prepare its case without substantial reliance on “national security information”. " - Law Talk Issue 870

---

Given the High Courts track record with name suppression I am not sure how they may fare difficulties of keeping high profile cases secret enough to the liking of the provisions above. I had some other ideas but I will just say please inform your friends in not-excessively dramatic terms and resist this noise, no godwin is necessary

• Locked thread