Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Agreed an STD free bitch is good. However I don't think we'll find many of those in Rio.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

I found this mod called cannabis that made my sleep score 100

naem
May 29, 2011

Those pistols look fun

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Why can't they just use regular-looking guns for the Olympics?

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 11, 2016

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

naem posted:

Those pistols look fun

I want a space gun!

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Tunicate posted:

cumforters

I'm dying

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

How have the Olympics not been moved yet? There is no way Brazil will be ready. At this point it's too late to use London, but I think Bejing could pull it off. China doesn't have the bureaucracy and they can just get poo poo done really quickly.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Just takin' the pistol I met on OKC out for some coffee because I'm a gentleman and gentleman don't shoot on the first date.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Aren't the structures they built for the Beijing Olympics already crumbling?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Pope Mobile posted:

Just like every Olympic building ever

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Why can't they just use regular=looking guns for the Olympics?

Because form generally follows function, and the Olympics use rules that haven't changed much from the early 20th century and are themselves derived from 19th century shooting events. Those guns are totally "normal looking" for a maximally accurate, small caliber, single shot, rim fire pistol customized to its user and designed only to be operated in a competition setting. "Normal looking" guns generally are designed with very different use cases in mind and thus look different, but when they're used in competition and allowed to be customized they'll rapidly start developing similarly wonky features.

RaceFat
Jul 12, 2004
I weighed in on the issue with a little song. Hope y'all enjoy it. Seems like things are looking good! ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6NbyczFveg

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Pope Mobile posted:

You mean the soccer stadiums in Brazil from the world cup 2 years ago? Because yeah.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

large structures require intense maintenance and upkeep and given the way Brazil is going there is basically no chance the world cup stadium survives the decade and the same for anything done for the olympics that's not infrastructure/transit stuff, and even then...

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Profondo Rosso posted:

reading this report is kinda horrifying. are military killsquads a uniquely Brazilian thing?

Right wing death squads are a fundamental facet of S. American culture

You should check out all the union organizers that get murdered down there.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

RaceFat posted:

I weighed in on the issue with a little song. Hope y'all enjoy it. Seems like things are looking good! ;)

:lol: amazing! Do you have a soundcloud or something with your other songs from the election?

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

RaceFat posted:

That'a great

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

RaceFat posted:

please make an infinite loop of the "ted cruz gonna be the president" ending to the Ted Cruz Campaign Eulogy (Zodiac Killer Proof) song

please . . . .

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Why can't they just use regular=looking guns for the Olympics?

"regular looking" guns are made to you know, shoot people or shoot people so they stop trying to shoot you, so they have to fire relatively big bullets fast, they have to be reliable, easy to reload and all that.

Olympic shooting requires an entirely different set of skills (for instance paper targets don't shoot back, you don't have to use cover, you don't reload your gun under stress etc etc...) and is focused pretty much only on accuracy so you get those guns that are optimized for absurdly good accuracy, but are crap in regards to stuff like what round they fire, how much rounds they hold, how reliable they are and so on.

That is not to say other kind of shooting competitions don't end up having extremely weird and "impractical" guns, just look up stuff like IPSC open, PPC or bench rest "rail guns".

I'm definitely not an expert on anything fencing related but since we are talking about Olympic rules changing martial arts into a sport I'm pretty sure fencing as a sport is also pretty far removed from fencing as a practical "pointy end goes into your adversary" martial art.

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

WitchFetish posted:

"regular looking" guns are made to you know, shoot people or shoot people so they stop trying to shoot you, so they have to fire relatively big bullets fast, they have to be reliable, easy to reload and all that.

Olympic shooting requires an entirely different set of skills (for instance paper targets don't shoot back, you don't have to use cover, you don't reload your gun under stress etc etc...) and is focused pretty much only on accuracy so you get those guns that are optimized for absurdly good accuracy, but are crap in regards to stuff like what round they fire, how much rounds they hold, how reliable they are and so on.

That is not to say other kind of shooting competitions don't end up having extremely weird and "impractical" guns, just look up stuff like IPSC open, PPC or bench rest "rail guns".

I'm definitely not an expert on anything fencing related but since we are talking about Olympic rules changing martial arts into a sport I'm pretty sure fencing as a sport is also pretty far removed from fencing as a practical "pointy end goes into your adversary" martial art.

That's all true, but once it gets so far removed from the activity that it's supposed to test skills in, and becomes all about results, what's the point of being good at it? I think that's why the Olympics are poo poo.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

naem posted:

Those pistols look fun

It's James Bonds favorite gun, the Walther PPGay.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

That's all true, but once it gets so far removed from the activity that it's supposed to test skills in, and becomes all about results, what's the point of being good at it? I think that's why the Olympics are poo poo.

You'll find that games are usually useless

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
You should be sprinting in combat boots and field kit to go target shoot surplus Mosins at blood pack filled moving targets. That would be cool. At some point in there you have to fellate a horse to secure a ride and steal a map from a gas station for navigating without getting caught by gendarmes. Maybe throw in a sword fight and grenade throwing to round the whole thing out.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I think there should be more sex focused sports in the olympics

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Zzulu posted:

I think there should be more sex focused sports in the olympics

Women's beach volleyball isn't enough?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Gun's reaction upon walking out of the airport and seeing the state of rio

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Beach volleyball is nice, but maybe with less clothes? and more sex

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think it is very good that target pistols look silly and are completely useless as weapons. i think such guns should be far more widespread because they don't serve as penis surrogates and are very impractical to use for violence. they work fine for shooting targets at firing ranges, though!

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Yeah but what if

a) the terrorists invade
b) the aliens invade
c) the government tries to kill us all
d) The chinese and/or russians invade
e) zombie apocalypse

What then? IDIOT

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

LGD posted:

Because form generally follows function, and the Olympics use rules that haven't changed much from the early 20th century and are themselves derived from 19th century shooting events. Those guns are totally "normal looking" for a maximally accurate, small caliber, single shot, rim fire pistol customized to its user and designed only to be operated in a competition setting. "Normal looking" guns generally are designed with very different use cases in mind and thus look different, but when they're used in competition and allowed to be customized they'll rapidly start developing similarly wonky features.

WitchFetish posted:

That explains a lot.

Stay safe, sharpshooters.

Kaiju Cage Match fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jul 11, 2016

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Iron Crowned posted:

Just like every Olympic building ever

the LA coliseum is holding up OK.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Are men better at shooting sports as well? Even though there's no real reason they should be

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I think I'd die of embarrassment well before I bled out if I was shot by one of those.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Grand Prize Winner posted:

the LA coliseum is holding up OK.

The LA coliseum is still used regularly, and it was built in a city that could financially support it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I think I killed this guy in Dishonored.

Don't care the gender, I'd do the one on the right.

Homeroom Fingering
Apr 25, 2009

The secret history (((they))) don't want you to know

You've been hit by
You've been struck by
A smooth criminal

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
How long until the police steal their bullets? I mean, they can't even afford toilet paper.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Here is more of the report released this week about the police,

"Human Rights Watch’s interviews with more than 30 Rio police officers revealed a routine disregard for international standards, Brazilian law, and internal police regulations governing the use of lethal force. Officers attributed the excessive use of lethal force to a pervasive “culture of combat” and corruption within military police battalions.

Several military police officers recounted their own involvement in violent encounters, including two who told of direct participation in executions. One described his participation in an operation in which a fellow officer executed a suspected drug trafficker as he lay injured on the ground, and said he feared he would be killed if he reported what happened. Another recounted an incident in which he and other police officers set an ambush for suspected gang members, gunning them down as they fled from other officers, then planted guns on their two victims as they lay dead and dying in the street. He also described participating in torture, an abduction, and receiving payoffs from criminals."

https://www.hrw.org/report/2016/07/07/good-cops-are-afraid/toll-unchecked-police-violence-rio-de-janeiro

Read the whole thing. The cops down there don't mess around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Zzulu posted:

Are men better at shooting sports as well? Even though there's no real reason they should be

It varies by the type of competition, and physical differences absolutely play a role. How much of a role is a big debate though, but it looks like women are slightly more accurate with rifles and men can speed shoot better.

• Locked thread