Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

pile of brown posted:

I remember the plot point that they formerly did security for Lena, but has it been shown that they were taking orders from anyone before this episode?

There was at least one vague reference made to Mercy and Otis working for a shadowy boss. Beyond that though, I think the show was counting on the fact that he's Otis, of course he's working for Mr. Luthor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

I think there was a very subtle subplot all season about someone pulling strings.
- The Graves helping Lockwood get going with the Agents of Liberty.
- Lockewood getting his show.
- The Graves exposing the Prez and the VP being an alien chud.
- That thing where the alien black ops squad was getting assassinated or something.
- Last week's spaceship shooting satellite.

Its been really low key but I think there's been a thing where the Graves clearly had a backer and deeper agenda, President Wonder Woman talked about backroom politics stuff, and Alex's boss keeps implying that she's not actually the bad guy and there's shady poo poo happening above her paygrade. This episode seemed to say that its been Lex manipulating events all season all the way up to the Vice President.

The show just went a little TOO subtle with that storyline and I think it got kind of lost under the Children of Liberty/Manchester Black stuff.

And remember that Lex pulled strings with the President to be allowed to see his sister at their home that was mentioned in this episode.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Vietnamwees posted:

I wonder what powers James is gonna get now that he got the cure.

Also mad props to Lex for totally flipping the script on Lena and the police, and in his old house too!

There was a line from Lena explaining that she separated out the superpower bit from the healing part because giving powers was what was killing people.

I do think it is funny that they explained how Miss Tessmacher always seemed too good to be true.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I mean, Superperson fiction basically is like Flash fiction, but instead of the one thing explaining everything being speedforce it's Lexforce basically.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
How can people forget Otis from the Reeve movies?

He even said "Mista Luther".

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

twistedmentat posted:

How can people forget Otis from the Reeve movies?

He even said "Mista Luther".

That’s also the typical reference thing that the CW-verse has been doing all along, with almost the entire “Lois and Clark” cast as guest stars in this show, another previous Superman in Arrow/Legends, previous Flash playing new Flash’ dad etc....

I think he was a great Lex. First of all, he’s a talented and versatile actor, second, he was in 2 1/2 men so I already hate his stupid face and I think of him as a villain for contributing to that crime against humanity, television and the very concept of humor.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

kjetting posted:

That’s also the typical reference thing that the CW-verse has been doing all along, with almost the entire “Lois and Clark” cast as guest stars in this show, another previous Superman in Arrow/Legends, previous Flash playing new Flash’ dad etc....

I think he was a great Lex. First of all, he’s a talented and versatile actor, second, he was in 2 1/2 men so I already hate his stupid face and I think of him as a villain for contributing to that crime against humanity, television and the very concept of humor.

If Arrow ends without Justin Hartley showing up even just for a minute I’m gonna be super disappointed. Just saying.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's out of their pay range now.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I still wasn't sold on this Lex until the last few minutes. It was obvious he had James shot. Who else would know about his Superman summoning button? But killing the hospital generators? Being the man behind the curtain the whole time? It was beautiful and perfect. And the classical music death escape was something straight out of Donner. So was bringing Otis and Miss Tessmacher back into the fold.
And the fact that his great crime against humanity was somehow putting earth under a red sun? That's a big enough scheme for Lex.
I was pleasantly surprised.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I just love it any time anyone screams “Miss Teschmacher!!!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The end music/lasers scene was a bit too on the nose for me, felt like he stepped from "being Lex" to "trying to be Gene Hackman", but nods like that are always going to land differently for different folks and I don't hold it against him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It was definitely a bit of a reach/gamble but I enjoyed it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Bruceski posted:

The end music/lasers scene was a bit too on the nose for me, felt like he stepped from "being Lex" to "trying to be Gene Hackman", but nods like that are always going to land differently for different folks and I don't hold it against him.

I do not blame them. Most of the audience it's probably too young to have noticed.
I considered it a nice Easter egg for long time (long time) fans of the genre.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aleph Null posted:

I do not blame them. Most of the audience it's probably too young to have noticed.
I considered it a nice Easter egg for long time (long time) fans of the genre.

Absolutely. It was fun, it's just the stuff before that which was my personal "okay, he works as Lex."

On a different note, I found it interesting that the trailer focused around the red sun event which was just a flashback. I wonder if his courtroom rant, the focus of next week's trailer aside from a flash of Soviet Supergirl, will be the same.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Mar 21, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
They needed to have tuba music to accompany Otis in every scene, then people will get it.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

twistedmentat posted:

They needed to have tuba music to accompany Otis in every scene, then people will get it.

oh my god

and his stupid hat

where is the hat

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
“I have powers!”

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Holy wow, that was some terrible CG

I giggle every time they say Miss Tessmacher

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
It all comes down to Chocos.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Anyone else's audio hosed up?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

I love that they're playing around with the concept of Lex and Matrix's relationship from the comics.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Linda Lee!

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Not quite The Americans quality wigs here.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

nooneofconsequence posted:

Not quite The Americans quality wigs here.

Oh poo poo, an Americans shoutout

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Thought that soccer ball was a skull for a second. That would have been dark.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

poo poo, this episode is going places

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
Benoist is killing it. Well, the accent is slipping a bit but otherwise good performance.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Aw good guy Otis.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
And now he’s a Force ghost?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Apparently all Supergirl needed was Lex Luthor, because dang these past two weeks have been good.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Booo go with the real sickle and hammer.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

howe_sam posted:

Apparently all Supergirl needed was Lex Luthor, because dang these past two weeks have been good.

I mean it's nice to have a real villain rather than both-sidesing racists.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I like that even super genius Lex Luthor has a big ol prison shank.

"You're right. I have to give myself cancer." :v:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

:yeah:

who knew that telling comic book stories with comic book characters would be good instead of clumsily shoving them into complicated real world race issues? :v:

(although I find it weird that Lex knows Kara's identity because I mean it should follow that he knows Clark's identity and there's no way Lex Luthor would just sit on that tidbit of knowledge)

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Murder, ecoterrorism, and probably more, and all Lex got was 31 years, really?! And how the hell did he poison everyone in the courtroom?! And why would he want to increase his sentence to 32 years?!

Also, that new Supergirl title sequence was pretty boss.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Vietnamwees posted:

Murder, ecoterrorism, and probably more, and all Lex got was 31 years, really?!

31 consecutive life sentences

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Vietnamwees posted:

Murder, ecoterrorism, and probably more, and all Lex got was 31 years, really?! And how the hell did he poison everyone in the courtroom?! And why would he want to increase his sentence to 32 years?!

Also, that new Supergirl title sequence was pretty boss.

Pretty sure she was saying 31 consecutive life sentences before choking, he was making a wisecrack about adding another as he just murdered (or maybe just assaulted?) a whole courtroom of people.

edit: thinking back on said courtroom scene, it would have been nice if they could've gotten Tyler Hoechlin in so Clark Kent could be covering the trial (and/or testify against Lex)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Mar 25, 2019

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

edit: thinking back on said courtroom scene, it would have been nice if they could've gotten Tyler Hoechlin in so Clark Kent could be covering the trial (and/or testify against Lex)

Then he would be the only one NOT coughing though, presumably at least

Alex...Lex...that can't just be a coincidence, could it?

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It looked to me like Lex only poisoned the judge, prosecution and jury.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Miss Tessmacher.
Eve
Miss Tessmacher.

For some reason, Lex just casually walking into Kara's apartment really pissed me off.

Also wasn't the Power Girl from Justice League animated basically this a clone of Supergirl? I wonder if that is where it's going here.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Mar 25, 2019