Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Dameius posted:

The night crew isn't there primarily for the customers. Expect regular service during regular service hours and the convenience of limited service but still able to get in the door and do shopping during the rest of the day. I don't see why this is a hard problem to get.

The grocery chain I regularly shop at, Hy-Vee, doesn't do self-checkout and they're open 24 hours a day. It's always been that way, so I don't see why expecting a cashier during business hours at a grocers is some kind of an extravagance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Wait. Are you saying different stores have different levels of customer service? poo poo. Really?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
"The restaurant by my house is open to midnight! What do you mean that a completely different one is only open until 10PM? Being open 'til midnight is not some kind of extravagance! Unacceptable!"

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Yeah, that is not relevant to the original example where policy is clearly not that.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
I think that the store probably had a good reason for what they were doing. Or at least, partially.

Not having an open till before a certain hour makes a lot of sense. Things that could encourage a robbery would be putting staff and customers in danger. So even though it seems rude and inconvenient, I think it served a purpose.

They should have a work around, though. That employee should have just scanned everything thorugh the U-Scan for you.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SimonCat posted:

Six in the morning is not the graveyard shift.

It totally is in retail. Again, a ton of supermarkets aren't even open that early, or are only opened on the aforementioned limited-service self-checkouts-only model.

SimonCat posted:

The grocery chain I regularly shop at, Hy-Vee, doesn't do self-checkout and they're open 24 hours a day. It's always been that way, so I don't see why expecting a cashier during business hours at a grocers is some kind of an extravagance.

Most supermarkets in the country aren't open 24 hours, and when they are it's usually strictly limited angry-idiot-facing staffing for most of the early morning hours. Expecting the store to even be open to check out at 6 am is already something of an extravagance, getting upset that the guy who's on duty isn't going to go out of his way to grovel at your feet and meet all your demands for his meager pay is just plain bullshit.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.

SimonCat posted:

This is it exactly. Gosh and gee, a customer expects a cash register and a person when they come in a store? Well I never! I've been shopping early in the morning for a good 20 years and it's never been a problem. Now customer service is seen as a place to cut corners which is a shame since online shopping is destroying them.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Dameius posted:

Yeah, that is not relevant to the original example where policy is clearly not that.

It's an illustration that the original poster was not being unreasonable. That expecting a human cashier is not some way out in left field example of personal service only available at the highest end shops.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug

Snorkzilla posted:

I just loaded up a cart full to the top with my monthly grocery shopping at Meijer. I got to the front of the store to checkout and only the self checkout lanes were open. I asked the guy working up front if I could have a regular lane opened up and he flat out refused. If he'd offered to help me with the self checkout, especially the produce part I'd have stayed. But no. I told him I was leaving and he'd have to have all my items put back.

And then everybody clapped.

Snorkzilla posted:

He was OK with that.

That guy was Albert Einstein.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
As another customer I'd be pretty annoyed if I was going through self checkout and some guy was demanding that the employee in charge of all self checkouts scan all of their stuff for them in the self checkout lane, if I understood you correctly.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Snorkzilla posted:

This is it exactly. Gosh and gee, a customer expects a cash register and a person when they come in a store? Well I never! I've been shopping early in the morning for a good 20 years and it's never been a problem. Now customer service is seen as a place to cut corners which is a shame since online shopping is destroying them.

May I ask if you've ever worked customer service before?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

SimonCat posted:

It's an illustration that the original poster was not being unreasonable. That expecting a human cashier is not some way out in left field example of personal service only available at the highest end shops.

If it were the same company, but different location, it'd hold merit. Of course different companies will have different policies and compete on those differences. No one is saying that the idea of having a checkout lane open at that time is obscene extravagance. But when it is very clearly not that particular stores policy it is a bit absurd to get prissy when they refuse to cater to that whim.

These ideas are not so new to retail that it shluld be a surprise to anyone that there will be stores like this.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
The person refusing to open the register could just explain why if there's a policy or something.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

Crow Jane posted:

May I ask if you've ever worked customer service before?

Four years in a mom and pop grocery. It was all part time though.

Is not about the workers, I'm sure he's doing what he's told to do. The problem is the extremely glitchy system they have for self checkout. Kroger and Walmart nearby are able to have systems that work great and kroger also has a regular register open at all hours.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Dameius posted:

If it were the same company, but different location, it'd hold merit. Of course different companies will have different policies and compete on those differences. No one is saying that the idea of having a checkout lane open at that time is obscene extravagance. But when it is very clearly not that particular stores policy it is a bit absurd to get prissy when they refuse to cater to that whim.

These ideas are not so new to retail that it shluld be a surprise to anyone that there will be stores like this.

People in this thread a completely acting like this. Reference the one who compared Snorkzilla to unreasonable museum patrons. It's more an example of how retail service is getting worse and why it should not surprise anyone that they are getting beaten out by online retailers.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

Dameius posted:

As another customer I'd be pretty annoyed if I was going through self checkout and some guy was demanding that the employee in charge of all self checkouts scan all of their stuff for them in the self checkout lane, if I understood you correctly.

You didn't understand the part where I said there was only one other customer in the store. Or the part where the attendant had to be called back to his station every time I needed it reset because he was busy with other things.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Amused to Death posted:

I mean he could just be under orders niit to open any regular lines before a certain time. I don't know if you know this but a lot of people try to do their job well regardless of pay

When i worked at a grocer the regular checkouts didnt have tills put in them before 6am or so.

Speaking of retail, amazon is killing their fresh grocery deliveries in seven states, even after they bought whole foods (which theoretically wouldve made it easier). Just losing too much money?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Snorkzilla posted:

Four years in a mom and pop grocery. It was all part time though.

Is not about the workers, I'm sure he's doing what he's told to do. The problem is the extremely glitchy system they have for self checkout. Kroger and Walmart nearby are able to have systems that work great and kroger also has a regular register open at all hours.

The shop there then. Problem fuckin solved.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SimonCat posted:

It would be insane to expect a human cashier at 6 am on a Saturday morning in most American supermarkets because they won't be open for another hour or so after that point, yes.

Snorkzilla posted:

You didn't understand the part where I said there was only one other customer in the store. Or the part where the attendant had to be called back to his station every time I needed it reset because he was busy with other things.

Why does there only being one other customer in the store matter? And the fact he had to be called back from doing other things just goes to show further why you couldn't expect him to also open a checkout lane. You just keep digging the hole of your unreasonable demands on the guy who has to handle early morning store running even deeper.

got any sevens posted:

When i worked at a grocer the regular checkouts didnt have tills put in them before 6am or so.

Speaking of retail, amazon is killing their fresh grocery deliveries in seven states, even after they bought whole foods (which theoretically wouldve made it easier). Just losing too much money?

A lot of Whole Foods locations aren't well set up to handle Amazon's grocery delivery services, even if they might handle limited delivery services already.

SimonCat posted:

People in this thread a completely acting like this. Reference the one who compared Snorkzilla to unreasonable museum patrons. It's more an example of how retail service is getting worse and why it should not surprise anyone that they are getting beaten out by online retailers.

Because that's what he is? I get it, you're used to one particular chain in your particular area happening to have 24 hour fully staffed service. That's not the norm, it's an outlier. Most supermarkets aren't open such hours, frequently it's more like 8 AM - 10 PM on a weekend, or if there's a 24 hour service at all it's severely curtailed.

And to claim this is "retail service getting worse" is ludicrous. Stores usually opened later and closed earlier in the past, you'd have a hard time getting supermarket service at 6 AM on a Saturday in most of the country in 1987 or 1967 or whatever.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
As someone who's done grocery shopping at weird hours thanks to shift work, I'm not surprised at all there were no staffed aisles open. There's not many people doing big shopping trips between 11pm and 8am, and it's so dead that the few there are can use self-checkout without being the holdup they'd be during the day. If there is a staffed aisle open, chances are it's way slower than self-checkout would be because that's where the other people buying 500 things are checking out.

Don't like having maybe one staffed aisle open? Shop during the day or evening. Of course this means you might see more than one other human being while shopping, but for some mysterious reason(:10bux:) stores adjust their staffing to expected traffic levels. The alternative is not being open 24/7 at all, and I'd personally take 24/7 with lower service. Then again, I've never been so inconvenienced about it that I threw a shitfit in the store and stormed out.

Incidentally:

Snorkzilla posted:

I told him I was leaving and he'd have to have all my items put back. He was OK with that. This was at 6:00 AM on a Saturday. Is this just how it is now?
The employee was 100% relieved you left. They do not give a flying gently caress about someone who thinks their needs are so important that employees should break policy just for them, and then gets snippy and acts like anyone will care if they leave and never come back. That's pretty much the most cliche terrible customer you could be.

SimonCat posted:

24/7 shopping is actually one spot where brick-and-mortar retail can have an insane convenience advantage. If I want to pick up milk on the way home(at 11:30pm), I can do that! The one horrible time I had bedbugs, I could go out and get mattress covers and whatnot in the middle of the night - no waiting even a day for stuff to get delivered, no waiting until morning for regular stores to open. Out of toothpaste? I can fix that, now! Back when I worked night shift and needed something to do on my nights off? gently caress it, let's go grocery shopping at 3am, I don't even give a poo poo that checking out will be a slightly bigger hassle than it is during the day, I can get my groceries now when it's most convenient for me.

Who cares that there's a skeleton crew staffing the store? I can get the stuff I want/need now instead of later. There's always daytime if I need to buy something that would require normal staffing levels, or online if I don't care when the stuff I buy gets to me.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Holy poo poo the last three pages of this thread have really opened my eyes. Political consciousness is in the toilet. We have unhappy retail employees in here bickering with unhappy shoppers. The bad guys in this story were not in the store!

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Haifisch posted:

Incidentally:

The employee was 100% relieved you left. They do not give a flying gently caress about someone who thinks their needs are so important that employees should break policy just for them, and then gets snippy and acts like anyone will care if they leave and never come back. That's pretty much the most cliche terrible customer you could be.

I do like how people keep re-iterating that retail employees are lazy as gently caress and would happily pass their entire shift without interacting with a customer or doing any work if they could help it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You're confusing "lazy" with "that isn't my job description". Common mistake.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

HEY NONG MAN posted:

You're confusing "lazy" with "that isn't my job description". Common mistake.

"That's not in my job description" is the bastion of the lazy.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If i was paid fifty bucks an hour i'd be the happiest checker

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

"it's not in my job description and I can get fired if I do that"

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

"it's not in my job description and I can get fired if I do that"

Saying that would have alleviated the tension in the interaction we are discussing.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

SimonCat posted:

"That's not in my job description" is the bastion of the lazy.

So you're calling retail employees lazy then?

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

HEY NONG MAN posted:

So you're calling retail employees lazy then?

Some of them, yeah.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

SimonCat posted:

I do like how people keep re-iterating that retail employees are lazy as gently caress and would happily pass their entire shift without interacting with a customer or doing any work if they could help it.

If you want a butler, why don't you just hire one?

SimonCat posted:

Saying that would have alleviated the tension in the interaction we are discussing.

Lol no it wouldn't, because the tension was all brought in by the customer.

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

SimonCat posted:

?

Service is getting worse because most people want their goods as cheap as possible, and they wouldn't care if the people serving them were paid in wood nickels. If you shop somewhere the staff are paid low wages, you get what you pay for.

I did a lot of stupid poo poo for customers at my old minimum wage job that I absolutely did not have to do, and I didn't do it for the greater glory of customer service. I did it because they asked in a polite way and I felt like helping.

SimonCat posted:

Every retail worker in the thread just read that and laughed aloud. Logical arguments and explanations don't work as often as you'd hope.

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I like the part where I was snippy or entitled or demanding or unreasonable. I had trouble, I asked the customer service associate for help, he either couldn't or wouldn't help so I told him he could put my stuff back. I never raised my voice, rolled my eyes, or even really got angry. I now know not to shop there. I really should have known better. I know that particular store had issues but I wanted to pick up some socks and underwear in addition to groceries and meijer fits that bill nicely. I then came to a thread that's about the death of retail to add one more anecdote.

I love grocery shopping and look forward to it but from now on I'll have to wait a few more hours before going in or shop online.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

There's all sorts of things we'd like to know about this situation especially since we're getting one side of it.

Maybe the guy was a little angry at this employee and the employee felt that and was really uncomfortable, who knows. I've never been mad enough to ditch a whole cart full of groceries after issuing an ultimatum and that leads me to suppose that he wasn't as calm and collected as he's saying.

I ran a few stores and it's very easy to shut down and wait for someone to leave because generally when they're mad they will only get madder despite everything you say so you let them wear themselves out and generally they leave and you hear nothing of it again.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

Snorkzilla posted:

I told him I was leaving and he'd have to have all my items put back.

congrats on punishing a low-wage employee for decisions that corporate makes :thumbsup:

my baby boomer mom is the same way with safeway because she shops there at 8am and complains that there's only self checkouts and 2 employees and she takes it out on them like it's their fault. it's not. complain to their corporate and don't shop there if it bothers you, leave the loving employees alone

snoo fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 4, 2017

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

So I should have stayed and what? Spent an hour at that stupid scanner getting more and more angry? I wasn't given any other options so I left. I really don't put up with crap and try to avoid getting my blood pressure up over something I have no control over.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Snorkzilla posted:

I like the part where I was snippy or entitled or demanding or unreasonable. I had trouble, I asked the customer service associate for help, he either couldn't or wouldn't help so I told him he could put my stuff back. I never raised my voice, rolled my eyes, or even really got angry. I now know not to shop there. I really should have known better. I know that particular store had issues but I wanted to pick up some socks and underwear in addition to groceries and meijer fits that bill nicely. I then came to a thread that's about the death of retail to add one more anecdote.

I love grocery shopping and look forward to it but from now on I'll have to wait a few more hours before going in or shop online.

You were unreasonable because you deliberately went to the store at a time when it would be most deserted by both employees and other customers, and refused to accept the consequences of doing that. Then you came here whining about how mean the self-checkout guy was for telling you he wasn't going to open a checkout line just for you. Then you had a little whiny fit where you declared you were going to leave your cart there.

This has nothing to do with "the death of retail" this is about you being an rear end. Again, try doing that poo poo several decades back in the "height of retail" and the whole situation would be impossible what with the store simply not being open at such a time on a weekend morning.

Snorkzilla posted:

So I should have stayed and what? Spent an hour at that stupid scanner getting more and more angry? I wasn't given any other options so I left. I really don't put up with crap and try to avoid getting my blood pressure up over something I have no control over.

It's not the employee's fault you apparently suck that hard at using a self-scanner it would take you an hour, broheim.

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

oh my god

if grocery shopping and the idea of self-checkouts and lovely corporate decisions makes you that angry, especially at people who have literally no control over that, please just stay home and order from amazon or something

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Snoo posted:

oh my god

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Snorkzilla posted:

And that's okay. You do what you feel is necessary and convenient for you. If that means finding another store that has working registers at 6am, then go for it. Just don't poo poo all over the employees for it.

90s Solo Cup fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Nov 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Solkanar512 posted:

The person refusing to open the register could just explain why if there's a policy or something.

having worked in foodservice, it's never helpful to explain policy to customers as a method of explaining why the customer isn't going to get what they want

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

I ran a few stores and it's very easy to shut down and wait for someone to leave because generally when they're mad they will only get madder despite everything you say so you let them wear themselves out and generally they leave and you hear nothing of it again.

bingo, if a customer is getting froggy over something you can't control and you can't do what they want the easiest thing to do is to just stonewall them until they go away