Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
Maces are cool. :c00lbutt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They are, but Red Mages use swords, specifically rapiers if available. It just doesn't feel like a Red Mage without swords. :colbert:

I mean, maces make the most sense for them in the FFXII system as it exists. Maces are melee weapons that use the wielder's magic stat, so they're a great choice for a job that is all about magic but needs to be versatile enough to fight in melee, too. But I wish they'd just put in a rapier weapon class for that instead just so Red Mages could be as rad as they're supposed to be. Balthier's not the best choice for any magic job, but I'd still make him a Red Mage just so he could be a sweet duelist dude.

And hell, maces already sort of cross over with the "breaker" class of weapons, which has axes and hammers.

Anyway it's a thing that doesn't actually matter but hey, if I'm making a wish list for things that definitely won't be in the FFXII remaster, that'd be on there.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
The tonitrus in Bloodborne was a really good mace.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
Cleaning up the audio is really the main thing I care about with the re-release. There are little things like animation times but having all dialog sound like it was recorded on a can with a string is the biggest problem with the game. Also having all gambits available upfront will be nice.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Harrow posted:

They are, but Red Mages use swords, specifically rapiers if available. It just doesn't feel like a Red Mage without swords. :colbert:

I mean, maces make the most sense for them in the FFXII system as it exists. Maces are melee weapons that use the wielder's magic stat, so they're a great choice for a job that is all about magic but needs to be versatile enough to fight in melee, too. But I wish they'd just put in a rapier weapon class for that instead just so Red Mages could be as rad as they're supposed to be. Balthier's not the best choice for any magic job, but I'd still make him a Red Mage just so he could be a sweet duelist dude.

Even if they got rapiers they still wouldn't have the red ensemble to top it off.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Did they actually say they're cleaning up the audio?

Last I heard is that they didn't have the masters for it and couldn't.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
IIRC most of the people who were behind the actual classic Rare platformers had jumped ship by the time Nuts and Bolts happened, which makes all those potshots feel like some especially petty sour grapes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

Did they actually say they're cleaning up the audio?

Last I heard is that they didn't have the masters for it and couldn't.

The official Square-Enix store listing for it mentions "high definition voicing," but the the most recent gameplay videos I can find (which are from October 2016) still have compressed-sounding voices. Though they sound like they're improved, at least, so maybe they were able to touch them up but because they don't have the masters they can't truly fix it.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

humba wumba

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Edmond Dantes posted:

Cap'n, what are you running this on? I've been fiddling with it but I can't make it run higher than ~40 fps and I'm not sure if the shaders are just that intensive or if I'm missing something on my settings. I have a 970gtx, 6600k and 16 gb of ram.
Disable Optifine(there's an option in the launcher itself) and see if that does it, it was getting pretty bad performance over time for me too until I disabled that. Now I only get performance issues if I hold a torch out above ground for some reason, but that's not really that huge a problem.

edit: disabling the dynamic torchlight thing in the launcher config tab fixed that too.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 31, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

In Hitman Professional, they've added guards near all of my favourite killing grounds, including the Paris lady's personal bathroom :(

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Captain Invictus posted:

Disable Optifine(there's an option in the launcher itself) and see if that does it, it was getting pretty bad performance over time for me too until I disabled that. Now I only get performance issues if I hold a torch out above ground for some reason, but that's not really that huge a problem.

edit: disabling the dynamic torchlight thing in the launcher config tab fixed that too.

Well, gently caress me. I kept reading that Optifine was a great performance booster so I had just finished updating it when I saw your post. Just tried disabling it and it does seem to be running quite better. Thanks!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Harrow posted:

Balthier's not the best choice for any magic job

The first time I played FF12 I made him a Black Mage. It did not go well, let's say.

Really psyched for the Zodiac version tho.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Who else only learned about the FFXII remaster this morning?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just learned about it in this thread this morning, yes.

Also i don't know which one FFXII is. Or rather, I know nothing about it.

7 has Cloud, 8 has Squall, 10 has Tidus, 13 is some one that had a really medieval looking theme and everyone said it was boring. 15 has a car and the new dlc is power rangers outfits. 11 and 14 and mmos.

FF9 and FF12 are like, I've never heard of them*

*I brought this up about FF9 in this thread before, so technically I heard something about it then.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Forgettable Fantasy 12.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

13 isn't medieval at all, but 9 has Zidane and 12 has CAPTAIN BASCH FON ROSENBERG OF DALMASCA

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Snak posted:

7 has Cloud, 8 has Squall, 10 has Tidus, 13 is some one that had a really medieval looking theme and everyone said it was boring. 15 has a car and the new dlc is power rangers outfits. 11 and 14 and mmos.

*I brought this up about FF9 in this thread before, so technically I heard something about it then.

You've got 13 mixed up with 12

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Snak posted:

12 is like Xenoblade Chronicles except instead of positioning your dudes and chaining backstabs, you set AI and run your party into mobs.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Snak posted:

FF9 is the one that has all the really stylized and cartoony character designs in a steampunk-ish setting with weird animal people (and is also the best Final Fantasy). FF12 has, well

Phantasium posted:

CAPTAIN BASCH FON ROSENBERG OF DALMASCA

and also Balthier, the best sky pirate.

Also FF12 owns and don't listen to anyone who tells you it's boring :colbert:

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

also those loving shifty cactuars

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Phantasium posted:

also those loving shifty cactuars

Oh god yes, those smug little fuckers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The biggest problem with FF12, and it's a really big one, is that the maps are unnecessarily, stupidly huge and empty and save points are like literally kilometers apart. Does the remake have a Quicksave or something because if not I might not even buy it :colbert:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Well it has fast forward

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Like many Final Fantasies, FFXII's biggest problem is that it stood in the shadow of a widely acclaimed, far more successful predecessor that all subsequent titles have tried and failed to duplicate, and in truth, even games in the series prior to it were uneven at best. That's right, I'm talking about FFX-2 here.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

There's this new survival Conan game on Steam and it has the most detailed animated dongs ever put into a video game.

:nws:https://giphy.com/gifs/26xBzwN1hjteKcddC:nws:

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Wow, I looked at a trailer of FF13 and I've never seen any of that before in my life.

What the hell, memory...

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I can't imagine a life without lightning

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Snak posted:

Wow, I looked at a trailer of FF13 and I've never seen any of that before in my life.

What the hell, memory...

Your brain's natural defense mechanisms are working just fine.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Oh phantom brave...

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
FF12 is Star Wars: A New Hope only they never leave the desert planet and instead of being the chosen one Luke all but vanishes from the story as soon as he meets Han Solo and Bikini Chewbacca.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

pay anything you want for fez, all proceeds to ACLU. no steam key afaik

https://polytron.itch.io/fez

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Guy Mann posted:

FF12 is Star Wars: A New Hope only they never leave the desert planet and instead of being the chosen one Luke all but vanishes from the story as soon as he meets Han Solo and Bikini Chewbacca.

12 actually has a nice variety of landscapes but yeah it wears its star wars influence on its sleeve.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh phantom brave...

balsa bazoombas

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Every game Matsuno has made is Star Wars

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Guy Mann posted:

It's A New Hope except Luke's actual job is to be Leia's moral compass, and instead of Darth Vader being Luke's father, he has a good guy twin brother who got framed for his crimes.

Also there's a pretty good variety of environments, it's not all desert. The only real city is in the desert, though, so you do spend a ton of time there.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
FF13 is A New Hope except R2-D2 and C-3P0 are a teenage Australian girl and a black man.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

precision posted:

FF13 is A New Hope except R2-D2 and C-3P0 are a teenage Australian girl and a black man.

A new Hope is good though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Palpek posted:

There's this new survival Conan game on Steam and it has the most detailed animated dongs ever put into a video game.

:nws:https://giphy.com/gifs/26xBzwN1hjteKcddC:nws:

GOTM already?? Wowzers. We still have 983 years to go!

• Locked thread