Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pretty much. Once you drop the illusion that you live in a remotely sterile environment, life gets more bearable IMO. The question becomes "how clean does this need to be", not "is this clean". Because nothing is clean.

Having a rat who is extremely keen to piss on your hands at every opportunity gets you over it pretty quick too.

Ebola Dog posted:

Doesn't help unless it provides a complete seal, all just gets blown out the sides instead.

Sounds like my toilet visits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

An orthodontist once claimed to me that a toilet effectively aerosolizes fecal contamination. He said you shouldn't keep anything in a bathroom you're not fine having covered with a fine layer of poop mist.

YMMV.

Eh, that happens anyway and it has precious little to do with the toilet flushing. Your body has fecal coliform bacteria on it already on your hands, butt, arms, face, torso, and most importantly- in your GI tract and mouth. When you come into contact with something you’re putting your poop germs on it. Also, farts are aerosolized poop particles (that’s a big part of why they smell the way they do).
-a biologist

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
There is literally no escape from pathogens but you should consider covering your toothbrush because it's one vector the body isn't equipped to deal with. The bristles can collect fecal coliforms that will get massaged into your gums and enter your bloodstream, accumulating on your heart valves and potentially contributing to heart disease later in life.

Welp, see ya!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

An orthodontist once claimed to me that a toilet effectively aerosolizes fecal contamination.

Do I want to know why his being an orthodontist is relevant?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Subjunctive posted:

Do I want to know why his being an orthodontist is relevant?

Because the ortho was explaining why he didn't need to wash his hands before sticking them in mouths.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I want to ask about sound-proofing, or rather sound-dampening. We're going to have a small apartment, and the kid's room shares a wall with the master bedroom and living room. The kid goes to bed before us, and we don't want noise to wake her up. I don't want to, like, carpet the walls or put up acoustic foam or anything, but what's a good way to dampen the sound a bit?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

This is why I always appreciate bathrooms with their own mini toilet room

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

LifeLynx posted:

I want to ask about sound-proofing, or rather sound-dampening. We're going to have a small apartment, and the kid's room shares a wall with the master bedroom and living room. The kid goes to bed before us, and we don't want noise to wake her up. I don't want to, like, carpet the walls or put up acoustic foam or anything, but what's a good way to dampen the sound a bit?

The old Russian wall rug, friend

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Sockser posted:

The old Russian wall rug, friend

It's a truly underrated look IMO

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I visit my siblings' families, I'm always surprised by how much noise the kids will sleep through. I mean, it's not a lot of noise, but they don't wake up from casual conversations. That said, I expect this is a learned skill and the kid will be sensitive to noise for a bit before they get used to it.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

LifeLynx posted:

Big/foofy furniture pieces, thick/heavy curtains and lots of fabric/textiles/cushions/pillows, and even stuff like having lots of wall art- especially canvas pieces- can significantly cut down on noise transmission. If you’re down with decorative/art quilts or tapestries, hanging one on that wall can also be very helpful.

You can pick up baffling panels in just about every color for fairly cheap (these get used in home studios/theaters) and there are guides out there for making decorative/attractive ones yourself fairly easily. They can also be a nice way to add a splash of color to that wall without looking out of place. I’ve also seen people buy multi-packs of art store canvasses and make their own simple decorative sound baffles/art pieces, if you’re crafty. The air gap can be stuffed with foam or crumpled paper to further dampen noise.

In any case, cutting down on echo within the room with things like curtains, pillows, and furniture will go a long way toward decreasing the sound volume in the room and the noise level transmitted through the wall.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I'd suggest a white noise machine as well.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

value-brand cereal posted:

I'd suggest a white noise machine as well.

Or just start incorporating gags and muffles in your play.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Big/foofy furniture pieces, thick/heavy curtains and lots of fabric/textiles/cushions/pillows, and even stuff like having lots of wall art- especially canvas pieces- can significantly cut down on noise transmission. If you’re down with decorative/art quilts or tapestries, hanging one on that wall can also be very helpful.

You can pick up baffling panels in just about every color for fairly cheap (these get used in home studios/theaters) and there are guides out there for making decorative/attractive ones yourself fairly easily. They can also be a nice way to add a splash of color to that wall without looking out of place. I’ve also seen people buy multi-packs of art store canvasses and make their own simple decorative sound baffles/art pieces, if you’re crafty. The air gap can be stuffed with foam or crumpled paper to further dampen noise.

In any case, cutting down on echo within the room with things like curtains, pillows, and furniture will go a long way toward decreasing the sound volume in the room and the noise level transmitted through the wall.

Thanks! I figured there was something used in home theater kind of stuff but I didn't know what to call them.

By the way my parents found this in their basement and asked if we could use them:

Would putting a nice pair of these up help with sound dampening?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

LifeLynx posted:

Thanks! I figured there was something used in home theater kind of stuff but I didn't know what to call them.

By the way my parents found this in their basement and asked if we could use them:

Would putting a nice pair of these up help with sound dampening?

Boobs are technically soft furnishings

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

If you can smell it, the particles are already in your nose.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

peanut posted:

....and binding to the scent receptors on the walls to trigger the brain.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

peanut posted:

Holy hell, did you make this or find it somewhere? Funniest god drat thing I've seen in a while.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

> da motherfuckin share z0ne, bitch

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

peanut posted:

> da motherfuckin share z0ne, bitch

They have such a distinctive brand that even without the usual tag by the aDmin, could still tell what it was

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Pretty much. Once you drop the illusion that you live in a remotely sterile environment, life gets more bearable IMO. The question becomes "how clean does this need to be", not "is this clean". Because nothing is clean.

Yup. This is why we come from the factory with an immune ststem.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
MCMH roasts 'formal' and 'entertaining' rooms

https://www.curbed.com/2018/7/11/17536876/great-room-house-size-design-square-footage

noice

e: '“I like having Thanksgiving at my house every other year, so I’m going to need a chef-level kitchen and a two-story deck.' thread.txt

'Even if we do use our great rooms and formal dining rooms to host Thanksgiving and entertain those circles of friends, we’re still designing our spaces for maximum occupancy instead of the average family of three to five people who actually live in them every day. ... Designing our homes for the worst-case scenario—a hundred people are all at our house for a party and the party is also a tribunal where all of our guests publicly judge us—prioritizes guests who spend a very short amount of time in our houses over our own daily needs.'

wisdom

PRADA SLUT fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 19, 2018

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

PRADA SLUT posted:

MCMH roasts 'formal' and 'entertaining' rooms

https://www.curbed.com/2018/7/11/17536876/great-room-house-size-design-square-footage

noice

e: '“I like having Thanksgiving at my house every other year, so I’m going to need a chef-level kitchen and a two-story deck.' thread.txt

'Even if we do use our great rooms and formal dining rooms to host Thanksgiving and entertain those circles of friends, we’re still designing our spaces for maximum occupancy instead of the average family of three to five people who actually live in them every day. ... Designing our homes for the worst-case scenario—a hundred people are all at our house for a party and the party is also a tribunal where all of our guests publicly judge us—prioritizes guests who spend a very short amount of time in our houses over our own daily needs.'

wisdom

Yeah, I just tell family when they are in town the HoJo is down the street.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
TBH most of my family doesn't have those extra rooms and we somehow visit each other just fine. Turns out you can entertain just fine in a regular living room and dining room. :shrug:

And for the few who do have those formal rooms, most people really would rather use the informal spaces when they're visiting.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Haifisch posted:

TBH most of my family doesn't have those extra rooms and we somehow visit each other just fine. Turns out you can entertain just fine in a regular living room and dining room. :shrug:

And for the few who do have those formal rooms, most people really would rather use the informal spaces when they're visiting.

im shocked

e: that you would 'HOST' people in REGULAR rooms for so-called 'ENTERTAINING'

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

A "Formal" dinning room is the same as a dinning room. Most daily eating is done in the kitchen be it at a breakfast table or bar but when you have guests over you use the dinning room as it usually seats more people.

Nobody really has a "Formal" living room anymore as they were originally Receiving/Sitting rooms where you would entertain guests only there for a short amount of time. People would generally put their finest furniture in these rooms as a way of portraying wealth thus becoming the "Formal" room. Now a days people usually have a living room and a "game room/entertainment room" the living room is a bit nicer and the kids tend to take over the other living area.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
I love the comment that's like "oh honey bless yore heart you must ain't be from the South"

like being a Southerner means you have good taste or common sense.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I love the comment that's like "oh honey bless yore heart you must ain't be from the South"

like being a Southerner means you have good taste or common sense.

I don't think the person meant that Southerners have good taste, it's that the "need" for a living room is more entrenched there. Think about where the huge-house-having aristocracy was for most of America's history.

Edit: when I was buying my house my dad came along to give advice, etc he kept saying "but there aren't enough rooms to have a living room." He didn't believe when I told him those are for old people until the real estate agent backed him up.

Blue Footed Booby fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 19, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

JEEVES420 posted:

A "Formal" dinning room is the same as a dinning room. Most daily eating is done in the kitchen be it at a breakfast table or bar but when you have guests over you use the dinning room as it usually seats more people.

Nobody really has a "Formal" living room anymore as they were originally Receiving/Sitting rooms where you would entertain guests only there for a short amount of time. People would generally put their finest furniture in these rooms as a way of portraying wealth thus becoming the "Formal" room. Now a days people usually have a living room and a "game room/entertainment room" the living room is a bit nicer and the kids tend to take over the other living area.

No, lots of people still have a formal living room. When my parents redid my childhood house they added one (they've since downsized much more sensibly).

The furniture was uncomfortable, there was no reason to be in there, relatives from out of town would be brought there to talk or whatever but no one ever stayed for long.

My brother christened it "The Farting Room" and the two of us would use it disdainfully as a fart collector. I saw a ton of rooms like this during the year I did pest control and was in a lot of houses of Jonses-keeper-uppers-with

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

JEEVES420 posted:

Personally I'd take the dining room and lose the kitchen table, and I active dislike breakfast bars.

My favorite bit of too many rooms are the Mediterranean families I knew growing up that had a good living room and dining room that you couldn't even enter. The couches covered in plastic and the China on display in a hutch. They also had a work kitchen in the basement with a light duty (mostly show) kitchen upstairs.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

When I built out the rooms in my house I got rid of the second living room (wtf didn't even have any seats in it) and the "dining room" (a bit of a wide corridor with a bad sliding door at the end).

I do have two relax/entertainment areas but they're winter/summer rather than formal/informal, and they're both off (or in) the kitchen.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
My parents house had a downstairs layout very roughly something like this:
code:
| Living room |  Kitchen    | Dining room |
|-           -+-           -|
|   Office    | Family room |
With a bathroom between the living room and kitchen. Upstairs was all bedrooms and two more bathrooms. The living room didn't get a whole lot of use, but it was pretty common for one of us to go there to "hide" from the rest of the family for when we didn't want to be upstairs but also didn't want to be in the middle of conversations or watching TV. Otherwise its primary purposes were a) to house the piano, and b) to have enough open space to fit a long table in for birthday parties or extended family get-togethers.

So I can get the point of having more than one gathering room, if only as overflow. It's probably true that of the rooms the house had, it was the most underutilized, but it was far from useless.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

My in-laws only have a formal dining room? and no living room. It's a big room you have to walk through to get anywhere and it's filled with a massive glass-top wood table and 10 chairs, with a computer desk and a piano in the corner. My father-in-law watches tv there, at a big dining table with his feet up on one of the unstackable wicker chairs.

There are other smaller rooms in the house for toys and guests (no tv!!!), but the core of the house is dominated by that 10-seat table. It suxxxxzz

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
My grandparents have a formal living room that gets no use in their setup (they're always in the den), but tbh I would love it; I would change it into a music room & studio so fast. Let us pray the housing market crashes hard enough that someday it's affordable.

Tbh I think another big part of it is that when old people can't do stairs anymore, or need big medical equipment that won't go up stairs, that extra ground-floor room is flexible enough to become their bedroom. :/

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

Within 10-15 years all the baby boomers will either be dead or in "retirement communities" so the housing market will be flooded and cause a huge drop in price.

I remember my grandparents house had a formal living room/dining room that the kids were not allowed to even step foot in. At Christmas we were allowed to go in and look at the tiny houses my Grandmother would put out for the holidays, no touching and an adult had to be with you.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

JEEVES420 posted:

Within 10-15 years all the baby boomers will either be dead or in "retirement communities" so the housing market will be flooded and cause a huge drop in price.

I remember my grandparents house had a formal living room/dining room that the kids were not allowed to even step foot in. At Christmas we were allowed to go in and look at the tiny houses my Grandmother would put out for the holidays, no touching and an adult had to be with you.

I give it 20 years as the medical industry sucks up all their money to extend their miserable lives as long as possible and prevent their heirs from receiving any inheritance whatsoever. Possibly finding a way for hospitals to foreclose on their homes directly and preventing any equity from passing down to the next generation.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Some of the mcmansions are being built with 2 kitchens and a bunch of bathrooms now, so it should be fairly easy for the ones in useful locations to be divided into multiple units. Unfortunately many of them are not in useful locations, and people looking to rent 1/4 of decaying mcmansion won't want to drive 90 minutes into the suburbs.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
I swear I am going to end up building, and confuse the gently caress out of a builder as to why I have a big rural property and want a 1200 square foot ranch put on it instead of a 3500 square mcRanchsion.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Liquid Communism posted:

I swear I am going to end up building, and confuse the gently caress out of a builder as to why I have a big rural property and want a 1200 square foot ranch put on it instead of a 3500 square mcRanchsion.

We are in the process of considering building, and many of the covenants in acreages we're looking have restrictions of a minimum of 2500' square footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

We are in the process of considering building, and many of the covenants in acreages we're looking have restrictions of a minimum of 2500' square footage.

loving :lol: the developer who originally chopped up those parcels is a shrewd man. Are you restricted as to what builder you can use, too?