Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
And some are full-priced fully released betas.

Duck and Cover posted:

Trolls do things for reactions, I don't really care how people respond or if they do at all. You can believe this is a lie if you want.

If this were actually true, you'd be just as satisfied keeping your posts entirely in your head and not coming here at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Duck and Cover posted:

My issue is Early Access means whatever the gently caress the developers want it to mean. Alpha? Sure thing. Beta? Yep. Polished marketing tool? Yep. Completed game? Yep. It becomes hard to know when a game is actually at a state in which I'd want to play it. Like I'd consider the game experience complete before the Heart patch while others would disagree. Now what matter is that? Not much but early access sure does clutter the top sellers. Is that one a beta? Is that one an alpha? Baaah I don't know and I don't want to do the research to figure out how far along they are. Really it's a me being lazy issue at least as far as indie companies doing it.

Why have you chosen this thread to make this point in

Are you making a statement about slay the spire or not

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism
I beat the heart as the Silent and Defect also! Defect is probably my favorite. I like doing Claw/Frost builds with him. Silent I think is my least favorite character unless I get a good Catalyst setup. It just goes so slow with her and I will usually just quit if I get past the first floor boss and still don't have good offense. When I won I used Nightmare+catalyst and nothing including the Heart had a prayer.

Now I gotta do ascension.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it doesnt really matter if hes trolling or no, the posts are still bad

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I bought Slay the Spire almost a year ago because OP is a huge loving nerd and wouldn't shut the gently caress up about it in IRC.

It was EA then, and the first page of the thread was some garbage dick whinging about EA games.

119 pages later, the game is still good, OP still won't shut up, and people are still being garbage dicks about EA.

War. War never changes.

Toshimo fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 17, 2018

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Toshimo posted:

I bought Slay the Spire almost a year ago because OP is a huge loving nerd and wouldn't shut the gently caress up about it in IRC.

It was EA then, and the first page of the thread was some mongoloid whinging about EA games.

119 pages later, the game is still good, OP still won't shut up, and people are still being subhuman filth about EA.

War. War never changes.

:thunk:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Yeah, my bad. Probably should have found less inappropriate insults.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
A4 still good tho.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

what's with all the curious screeds

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

When the game just goes and tells you "hey, just make a Shiv deck. Just do it."

(It did give me Time Eater as final boss because karma, but when it drops Infinite Blades, Kunai, Shuriken and Blade Dance one after the other on your lap...)

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

I looked at wrist blade once and thought 'ugh this is a bit weak' but now I realise we live in a world where Bullet Time exists

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

I looked at wrist blade once and thought 'ugh this is a bit weak' but now I realise we live in a world where Bullet Time exists

It was a pretty bad boss relic pick where I felt it was the best option (IIRC, Philosopher's Stone and Calling Bell?), and it was actually pretty decent considering the stupid amount of Shivs I could generate. That +3 damage stacks up, and even though I was running Kunai/Shuriken it's still significant even in slower fights.

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Uuuugh, so close to page one today on the daily, 1712 good for 24th currently. Got Beyond Perfect, 10 Collector bonuses, Encyclopaedia, I Like Shiny, Curses and 9 perfect Elites which is where I think I got let down, I just missed perfecting my first two and was one ? room from Mystery Machine. Picked up Bag of Marbles, 2 Backstabs and the JAX relic which made for some very easy fights.
e: Missed some collector bonuses too, ended up with 5 3x in my deck, all uncommons :( I for sure could have had 4x Cloak and Dagger if I'd prioritised them at any point.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Maybe I'll clear A17 with the Silent this time, I tell myself. Maybe this time all three Slimes from the boss won't attack for 18 12 12 at once for three turns in a row. Maybe I won't take 22x3 from a random act 2 enemy this run.

I swear I like the abuse this game dishes out, it's the only explanation.

Look Sharp!
Mar 24, 2013
I had a nice poison deck going up until this

e:I died two fights later

Look Sharp! fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 21, 2018

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Spire: Slain. Neow gave me a feed right at the start and I ended with like 140 hp. Also 2 60+ ritual daggers and I got a dead branch in the act 4 shop

Now I just have to do Silent and Defect

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Do you guys have any suggestions for interesting modded characters to look into? Construct looks like it has a really interesting mechanic and playstyle.

Emergency Mittens
Mar 20, 2010

Thumbtacks posted:

Do you guys have any suggestions for interesting modded characters to look into? Construct looks like it has a really interesting mechanic and playstyle.

S (Fun mechanics + good execution)
Disciple
Mystic
Servant (Conflicts with Disciple, don't enable both at the same time)

A (Same, but lacking polish)
Marisa
Seeker (Playing Echo or Reflection Ward crashes the game)

B (Interesting ideas, severely lacking polish)
Gatherer
Blackbeard
Construct (Defensive stall makes everything trivial and really boring. Rather than tweak existing content, author seems to balance by adding more not very well thought out mechanics on top of the already present ones)
Yuyuko (Kinda cool once you decipher the Chinglish. Invincibility and healing are lame in any language though)

C (Competent, but not too interesting)
Mad Scientist
Witch
Valiant

D (Poorly balanced and not very fun)
Necromancer (Negative energy is ridiculously OP)
Beaked (Healing is tedious, kinda OP)

F
Sage (???)
Marksman (really poo poo)

Haven't tried others. Hubris is an okay content mod you can slot in with the others if you get bored.

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
Finally took the time to beat the heart, managed on my first try as the silent (only on A1 though). Catalyst mvp

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed
I've been playing Silent and Ironclad on high ascensions, I simply do not understand how to get past act 2 without 4 energy. The act 1 boss relic is such a strong determinant whether your have a reasonable chance of getting through act 2. This is especially true for ironclad, who has so many 2+ energy cards.

I won ascension 20 with defect without too much difficulty but both Silent and Ironclad are proving beyond my abilities.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Ironclad can cheat on energy with Havoc+, Corruption, Combust, Body Slam+, and supplement with cards like Anger and Rage rather than going for the heavy hitters. Silent can just turtle up with poison and drag her feet through Act 2.

Besides, some of the non-energy relics are incredibly strong. Astrolabe is a massive improvement to your deck quality almost every time and Runic Pyramid is insane for setting up combos that are difficult to do normally, as well as helping to make sure you can play that Wraith Form on the correct turn regardless of energy.

Not to mention that with Act 4, the downsides of most of the energy relics matters a lot more, so taking a Runic Dome or an Ectoplasm after Act 1 is a lot less appealing than it used to be.

RyokoTK fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 23, 2018

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Super disappointed that I couldn't find a Barricade in the 5x Genetic Algorithm + Red Cards daily.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Jinx posted:

I've been playing Silent and Ironclad on high ascensions, I simply do not understand how to get past act 2 without 4 energy. The act 1 boss relic is such a strong determinant whether your have a reasonable chance of getting through act 2. This is especially true for ironclad, who has so many 2+ energy cards.

I won ascension 20 with defect without too much difficulty but both Silent and Ironclad are proving beyond my abilities.

im going to give a not helpful answer but it really helps when your deck is doing something way better than just playing strikes/defends
3 mana of efficient cards can get similar output but obviously its not as consistent

really its a reflection of how much you got out of act 1

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
whats generally the best way to get value out of A1 on higher ascensions? i think ive intuitively always gone for store > ? > camp > fight > elite, but im kind of wonder if at some point you need to prioritize fights or elites to get stronger deck/relic value rather than random stuff

im doing around A5 right now, for reference

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 24, 2018

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Verviticus posted:

whats generally the best way to get value out of A1 on higher ascensions? i think ive intuitively always gone for store > ? > camp > fight > elite, but im kind of wonder if at some point you need to prioritize fights or elites to get stronger deck/relic value rather than random stuff

Take early fights to pick up good cards for fighting elites. Then find a decent balance between elites, campfires and ? rooms, and try to get a path that allows for some flexibility. Whatever you pick up or the way fights go can change your evaluation of how to proceed (e.g. losing a ton of health to an elite or picking up a card that really needs an upgrade to be good might make a campfire preferable to an ? room). Early shop is mostly good only if you took gold from Neow, otherwise I'd skip it and save up over the course of the act in hopes of affording a good relic later on.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Have the devs said what Ascension level the game is actual balanced around? Like if a card does 10 damage for 1 energy or gives 9 block for 1 energy, that makes certain assumptions of average enemy damage and hit points. Throughout EA, it felt like the game was more balanced around streamers going at max ascension rather than like, normal people.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Verviticus posted:

You really need to take fights and elites in act 1. Fights get you cards, elites get you relics, you need both to beat the boss and have any kind of luck in act 2 and beyond. Any act 1 where I don't fight a minimum of two elites feels like a waste. Hallway fights are a little less appealing; your first three hallway fights in act 1 are easier, but some of the fights in the hard pool are just as dangerous as an elite.

GrandpaPants posted:

Have the devs said what Ascension level the game is actual balanced around? Like if a card does 10 damage for 1 energy or gives 9 block for 1 energy, that makes certain assumptions of average enemy damage and hit points. Throughout EA, it felt like the game was more balanced around streamers going at max ascension rather than like, normal people.

I seem to remember them saying the most important balance decisions were made for non-ascension. It certainly isn't balanced around A20, or even A15. I could have made that up though.

Jinx
Sep 9, 2001

Violence and Bloodshed

RME posted:

im going to give a not helpful answer but it really helps when your deck is doing something way better than just playing strikes/defends
3 mana of efficient cards can get similar output but obviously its not as consistent

really its a reflection of how much you got out of act 1

I wouldn't say your answer is unhelpful, more like self evident. The fault is mine of course, as I did not really provide sufficient detail for effective assistance.

Generally my strategy is store + 1 elite, 2 if possible. As already mentioned, you want several fights prior to the first elite to get cards. Ignoring cases where you are literally not offered an offensive cards in the first 3 or so fights, I always try to pick up at least one decent attack. The following cards are basically always auto-pick for the first copy: footwork, well-laid plans, noxious fumes, after image and malaise (and catalyst if I have at least one decent poison card). Well-laid plans and malaise are so strong, especially on higher ascensions, where even 1 hp can mean the difference between dying or winning.

The biggest problem with act 2, especially on only 3 energy, is that some of the harder fights require either overwhelming damage or defence to survive without taking a lot of damage. This is especially true on higher ascensions where many enemies inflict significant debuffs (gently caress you triple attacking plant). In other words, I usually die via damage attrition or simply a lack of an HP buffer for the boss fight at the end.

Honestly, my biggest gripe is the shitshow that is the act 2 boss relic reward - there are a lot of bad relics. Imagine getting a choice of black star, lizard tail and tiny house. On high ascensions (15+) it is unlikely you will win unless you found some really good relics in act 1. Not everyone is joinrbs, but I've never seen a run where he got runic dodecahedron and no energy relic.

Overall, winning A20 on defect was "easier" because requiring 4 energy wasn't a game over, especially if you got frost orbs and echo form or focus generation (or lucked into inserter).

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Another good thing to keep in mind that’s counterintuitive, while there are plenty of synergies that incentivise card combos there really aren’t hard and fast deck archetypes particularly at the higher difficulties. You should evaluate cards not based on if it goes with theme of what you’ve already acquired (eg im playing a poison deck so I’m only picking cards that make poison better) but what your deck has/lacks in key generalities. Whatever individual cards you have, all decks that go the distance need to have somewhere in them even just a card or two:

Front loaded single damage
Scaling single target damage
The same, but for aoe
Frontloaded mitigation
Scaling mitigation

Or you will inevitably hit a fight your deck just loses to.

And if none of your offered cards fill one of these areas that you’re lacking, the secondary consideration should be will it help me win a specific upcoming fight I might lose, in which case it’s good enough to take regardless. In general terms this means any reasonable non strike attack is usually a pick early act 1 because you need it to not die to gremlin nob or lagavulin. Even if clothesline isn’t a very good card you want it if it means you can take the elite fight you’d otherwise have to dodge. If you don’t have aoe going into act 2 you’re taking cleave even though your rather have a whirlwind. It’s tricky to find the balance between this and the (good) advice to don’t be afraid to skip bad picks, but people can go to hard on that and give up good-enough card picks and die for want of any kind of solution to a fight that completely wrecks them otherwise

Edit: specifically important because the “thin deck” advice works fine for lower ascensions but is totally wrong at high ascension. You have very little opportunity to just limp through unfavourable fights without starting a failure cascade of taking too much damage and resting too often, or just dying outright. Energy also kinda falls into this, you can mitigate lack of energy by taking 0 costs to reduce average energy cost of a hand, or play into non-energy relics like mummified hand that provide pseudo energy

Ayn Randi fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 25, 2018

zxqv8
Oct 21, 2010

Did somebody call about a Ravager problem?

Ayn Randi posted:

Another good thing to keep in mind that’s counterintuitive, while there are plenty of synergies that incentivise card combos there really aren’t hard and fast deck archetypes particularly at the higher difficulties. You should evaluate cards not based on if it goes with theme of what you’ve already acquired (eg im playing a poison deck so I’m only picking cards that make poison better) but what your deck has/lacks in key generalities. Whatever individual cards you have, all decks that go the distance need to have somewhere in them even just a card or two:

The same, but for aoe
Frontloaded mitigation
Scaling mitigation

And if none of your offered cards fill one of these areas that you’re lacking, the secondary consideration should be will it help me win a specific upcoming fight I might lose, in which case it’s good enough to take regardless. In general terms this means any reasonable non strike attack is usually a pick early act 1 because you need it to not die to gremlin nob or lagavulin. Even if clothesline isn’t a very good card you want it if it means you can take the elite fight you’d otherwise have to dodge. If you don’t have aoe going into act 2 you’re taking cleave even though your rather have a whirlwind. It’s tricky to find the balance between this and the (good) advice to don’t be afraid to skip bad picks, but people can go to hard on that and give up good-enough card picks and die for want of any kind of solution to a fight that completely wrecks them otherwise

Edit: specifically important because the “thin deck” advice works fine for lower ascensions but is totally wrong at high ascension. You have very little opportunity to just limp through unfavourable fights without starting a failure cascade of taking too much damage and resting too often, or just dying outright. Energy also kinda falls into this, you can mitigate lack of energy by taking 0 costs to reduce average energy cost of a hand, or play into non-energy relics like mummified hand that provide pseudo energy

This.

This is a pro post. Follow this advice. I need to do it more often.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Emergency Mittens posted:

S (Fun mechanics + good execution)
Disciple
Mystic
Servant (Conflicts with Disciple, don't enable both at the same time)

A (Same, but lacking polish)
Marisa
Seeker (Playing Echo or Reflection Ward crashes the game)

B (Interesting ideas, severely lacking polish)
Gatherer
Blackbeard
Construct (Defensive stall makes everything trivial and really boring. Rather than tweak existing content, author seems to balance by adding more not very well thought out mechanics on top of the already present ones)
Yuyuko (Kinda cool once you decipher the Chinglish. Invincibility and healing are lame in any language though)

C (Competent, but not too interesting)
Mad Scientist
Witch
Valiant

D (Poorly balanced and not very fun)
Necromancer (Negative energy is ridiculously OP)
Beaked (Healing is tedious, kinda OP)

F
Sage (???)
Marksman (really poo poo)

Haven't tried others. Hubris is an okay content mod you can slot in with the others if you get bored.

Thanks for the mod recommendations, the stuff at the top of your list all seems quite good. I'm curious, though, why do the Disciple and the Servant conflict? Is it something to do with the fact that they're both time-based?

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I've been going through ascension levels with Ironclad, but I've never been able to beat the heart above ascension 1. Is it possible without a barricade deck? Same thing for the silent, can they beat the heart without bursting a catalyst on a bunch of poison? The heart still seems overtuned for them to be releasing it.

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

A Moose posted:

I've been going through ascension levels with Ironclad, but I've never been able to beat the heart above ascension 1. Is it possible without a barricade deck? Same thing for the silent, can they beat the heart without bursting a catalyst on a bunch of poison? The heart still seems overtuned for them to be releasing it.

yes to both these things. it really is about optimizing your picks and trying to take as little damage as needed. if you think you can do an extra 12 damage but you wont clear the stage don't bother for the extra damage. those kinds of decisions get you far.

on the other hand when you have better understanding of how the game works you can end up with some sneko monstrosity where you are doing 200 or more dmg per turn because you can play multiple cost 4/5a in a turn

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Ayn Randi posted:

The same, but for aoe
Frontloaded mitigation
Scaling mitigation

This is super useful advice and I'm replying so I can save this post. I plateau hard in early ascensions (<5) because I have difficulty balancing the two. Sometimes I end up with a bloated as gently caress deck or a thin deck that sputters out.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I hate when i get a good run going and forget to grab the gem at the last bonfire

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i just got a Beyond map with four flippin' elite fights in a line

seed is top right of this screenshot - also, try and guess the enormous tactical error i made in this fight!!!

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
You played the combust and then ate 45 damage straight in the face, didn't you. Didn't you?

edit: and you did it because you wanted to get all the non-attacks out of your hand so you could play Clash while he was vulnerable

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

yes

still slew the heart though; bird urn on a power deck is insanely good for healing, especially with the +50% heal flower, black blood, and a trade-hp-for-strength deck with Reaper

Flea Bargain
Dec 9, 2008

'Twas brillig

Getting frustrated with dailys, when I tryhard I almost always get in top 50-100, but I've never front paged unless it's just after the new daily starts.
Feels like I need to be practicing on another account before I do a 'real' run, and savescumming to try and get perfect boss and elite fights but that defeats the purpose of the game imo. For example on the hoarder daily yesterday I hit up every possible shop looking for Mind Blast to go with my Molten Egg, but I didn't see any until the very last ? Before Donu Deca where I got two and killed them both on turn one.
There's probably also really unintuitive routes that happen to be better than where I'm going because of rng but I'll never see it and 99% of the time they would have been worse. Is this just how it goes or is it a case of git gud. I'd love to hear what other people who do consistently well on dailies think.
e: Hoarder is a lovely mod for dailies because there's one clear best strategy of going for Encyclopedia, easy Collector bonuses and Curses, while you take a card every pick and hope for Mind Blast.

Flea Bargain fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jan 2, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Flea Bargain posted:

Getting frustrated with dailys, when I tryhard I almost always get in top 50-100, but I've never front paged unless it's just after the new daily starts.
Feels like I need to be practicing on another account before I do a 'real' run, and savescumming to try and get perfect boss and elite fights but that defeats the purpose of the game imo.

It's got nothing to do with that and everything to do with people cheating up fake scores. If you finish top 100, you're probably really in the top 80.