Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pylons posted:

AEW Dark Elevation 8/29

HM: Hikaru Shida vs. Emi Sakura

nth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

HM
13th August
TJPW Tokyo Princess Cup Night 6
Arisu Endo vs Mei Suruga

HM
13th August
Suzume vs Yuka Sakazaki

MOTYC
13th August
Miu Watanabe vs Miyu Yamashita

Good show that

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AEW Dark 8/30

HM: AR Fox vs. Dante Martin
HM: RUSH vs. Blake Christian

Penguin Patrol
Mar 3, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Pylons posted:

AEW Dark 8/30

HM: RUSH vs. Blake Christian

nth

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Hm: Chris Bradley vs Matt Tremont
ICW No Holds Barred PitfighterX Battle of the Tough Guys II part 1
August 27

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pylons posted:

AEW Dark 8/30

nth

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
HM: Akira vs. Bryan Keith, Loko The Session, April 23 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8lApOaj64o

Two of the higher level guys on the indies right now had a very solid match.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

MassRafTer posted:

MOTYC: Tom Lawlor vs Jon Moxley, DEFY Wild Ones 4/30.

Absolutely sick match. Not a Lawlor fan but this by far the best match I've seen of his.

This match ruled. MOTYC

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
14th August
DDT Road To Peter Pan In Korakuen Hall
HARASHIMA vs Takeshi Masada

HM
14th August
ASUKA vs Saki Akai

MOTYC
14th August
DDT Extreme Title
Akito vs Joey Janela

MOTYC
14th August
Burning (Jun Akiyama & Tetsuya Endo) vs Harimao (Kazusada Higuchi & Naomi Yoshimura)

Big Dave
Nov 6, 2009

Friends don't shake hands, friends gotta hug!

Hm: Bobby Beverly vs the Hoodfoot
ICW No Holds Barred PitfighterX Battle of the Tough Guys II part 2
August 27

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
TJPW Go Girl 3 (8/28/22)

HM: Watanabe/Tatsumi/Nakajima vs. Mizuki/Sakazaki/Yamashita

This was a great, great contest that fell juuuuuust short of the MOTYC mark for me. Fun stuff in the beginning with the Magical Sugar Rabbits trolling Miyu, which sets a theme of the match where neither Mizuki nor Sakazaki come to the aid of the Pink Striker while she's getting her rear end kicked. The whole affair was beautifully paced and laid out, so much so that I was astonished when I realized they'd gone 22 minutes. Anyone with Wrestle Universe should definitely find time for this one.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
10th July
Sendai Girls Senjo Chronicle
Hiroyo Matsumoto & Saori Anou vs Mika Iwata & Miyuki Takase

HM
10th July
Hardcore Match
DASH Chisako vs Suzu Suzuki

MOTYC
10th July
Sendai Girls World Title
Chihiro Hashimoto vs ASUKA

That main event title match is a must watch. Hashimoto & ASUKA are 2 of the very best in the world. Best match I've seen since this entire month, even if it is a July match, I'm slow.

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

HM: Hikaru Shida & Toni Storm vs. Britt Baker & Jamie Hayter, AEW Dynamite 8/31

Real fun match with a banger of a finishing sequence.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Dango Bango posted:

HM: Hikaru Shida & Toni Storm vs. Britt Baker & Jamie Hayter, AEW Dynamite 8/31

Real fun match with a banger of a finishing sequence.

Nthed, brutal as gently caress

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Since it is now September that means we are 2/3rds of the way through the year. So what better time to dump a bunch of info about 2022's best wrestling so far?

The Five Star Matches
Most of these I linked in a post a week ago when I listed my match of each month. But there were 2 that happened in months where I loved another match slightly more
  1. 1st July - Michinoku Pro Wrestling - MUSASHI vs Fujita "Jr" Hayato
  2. 1st January - Pro Wrestling NOAH - Katsuhiko Nakajima vs Go Shiozaki
  3. 18th May - GLEAT - El Lindaman vs Shigehiro Irie
  4. 30th July - Dragongate - Z-Brats vs Kung-Fu Masters
  5. 29th April - Arisa Nakajima vs Tsukasa Fujimoto
  6. 1st April - Ring of Honor - The Briscoes vs FTR

The Rest of my Top 10
  • 10th July - Pro Wrestling Freedoms - Daisuke Masaoka, Jun Kasai & Masashi Takeda vs ERE (Drew Parker, Toshiyuki Sakuda & Violento Jack)
  • 31st March - Wrestlecon - Bandido vs Mike Bailey
  • 1st January - Pro Wrestling NOAH - Kaito Kiyomiya vs Kenoh
  • 8th July - ZERO1 - Fuminori Abe vs Masato Tanaka

For promotions, 5 companies have gotten 60 or more MOTYC & HM nominations from me: New Japan have a total of 88, across 51 shows watched. All Japan have 84 across 40 shows, NOAH have 66 across 33 shows, Dragongate have 66 across 44 shows & Stardom have 60 across 41 shows watched. Which I think backs up my point about All Japan being great this year, but also NOAH come off surprisingly well. Shoutout to SEAdLINNNG who I've seen 10 shows from this year & have 9 MOTYCs, good ratio that.

Wrestler of the year is still Kento Miyahara, with 5 matches at ****½ & 11 at ****¼, though he could really do with a top, top end match to seal it. But as it is, nobody has his consistency from the stuff I watch. No wrestlers have multiple ***** matches yet but Jun Kasai has 3 at ****¾ because he still rules.

Wrestler of the Year To Date
  1. Kento Miyahara
  2. Yuma Aoyagi
  3. El Lindaman
  4. T-Hawk
  5. ASUKA
  6. Takuya Nomura
  7. Go Shiozaki
  8. Shigehiro Irie
  9. Katsuhiko Nakajima
  10. Shotaro Ashino

From the last time I did a post like this, the end of June, there's not too much change in the top 10. Aoyagi swapped places with Lindaman, ASUKA is up from 8th, Nomura is a new entry, Shiozaki is down from 4th, Irie is from 7th, & Tsukasa Fujimoto has fallen out of the top 10 because she has been on hiatus for a few months now. Goes without saying this is all just one arsehole's opinion

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MOTYC - The Elite vs. United Empire, AEW Dynamite, 8/31

Match owned

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

HM: The Elite (Kenny & The Bucks) vs. United Empire (Ospreay & Aussie Open) - AEW Dynamite 8/31

This ruled, and I wanna see so many match-ups coming out of this, not least of all of course being Kenny vs. Ospreay.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

Match owned

2nd. loving hell

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

HM: The Elite (Kenny & The Bucks) vs. United Empire (Ospreay & Aussie Open) - AEW Dynamite 8/31

This ruled, and I wanna see so many match-ups coming out of this, not least of all of course being Kenny vs. Ospreay.

Nth. Didn't quite hit the peak of Death Triangle/Aussie Open last week. But a Goddamn great match.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Match owned

yeah agreed...If the PPV has a match close to this it'll be an amazing show

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

AEW Dynamite 8/31

HM: Bryan Danielson vs. Jake Hager
HM: Hikaru Shida & Toni Storm vs. Britt Baker & Jamie Hayter
HM: Rey Fenix vs. Dante Martin vs. RUSH vs. Wheeler Yuta
MOTYC: The Elite vs. United Empire

Ivypls
Aug 24, 2019

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 8/31

nth

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 8/31

nth this

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 8/31

Nthing all of these

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 8/31

yeah, nth.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 8/31

nthing these!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 8/31

Seconding these.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 8/31

Nth

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

I forgot to do a big stats dump last month but August would have shook things up big time anyways, as two matches last month managed to rocket up the list of my favourites and push everything down. I also wanted to put into words my methodology when nominating matches, as I'm well aware i'm far more lenient than others here and If I care about the people in a certain match I will almost certainly rate it higher than if I don't care about one or more of the competitors. As an example, the Forbidden Door match between OC and Ospreay that a lot of people loved I only rated a 2.75. It was fine and had some good moments but I didn't get into a lot of the match and found myself bored because I didn't particularly care about either guy, so when Orange hulked up it didn't resonate with me like say the Suzuki-gun vs Swerve in our Glory match did, because I very much enjoy Despy and Nobu's work

Ratings System
In my spreadsheet these are in 0.25 steps, but in broad strokes

0 - Awful, if I gave WMOTYC nominations these would be it
1 - Bad, nothing redeeming about these matches but not something I will remember later for being terrible
2 - Fine, didn't make me feel anything and I wasn't interested, but it was well worked and I don't have any complaints about it
3 - Good, I enjoyed my time watching it and think others would as well. This is my minimum threshhold for a HM nod, to say that these are the matches on a given show that are worth watching in my opinion
4 - Great, I was invested the entire time and satisfied with the finish/winner, even if it were not who I was rooting for. This is my minimum threshold for a MOTYC nod, because I think people should make the time to watch these matches and hopefully enjoy them as much as I do
5 - Amazing, these are the matches I will recommend multiple times and remember parts of well into the future. Currently I have 24 of these
>5 - These are the matches that are so good they are actually in contention for my Match of the Year come December. Currently I have 7 of these

MOTYC
Right now I have an even 200 MOTYC over the first 8 months, which is crazy since I only had 202 for the entireity of last year.
By Promotion:
59 - New Japan
35 - DDT
25 - All Japan
21 - NOAH
19 - Tokyo Joshi
6 - GLEAT
5 - Big Japan
4 - Ganbare Pro, ZERO1
3 - All Elite Interpromotional Matches
2 - Explosive Pro, FREEDOMS, Freelance Shows, Just Tap Out, Prominence, SEAdLINNNG
1 - Gake no Fuchi, Michinoku Pro, Ring of Honor, Sendai Girls

By Wrestler (Top 13):
14 - Kazuchika Okada (NJPW)
12 - Kento Miyahara (AJPW, GLEAT), Yuki Ueno (DDT)
10 - Naomi Yoshimura (DDT)
9 - Chris Brookes (DDT), Kenoh (NOAH), MAO (DDT), Zack Sabre Jr (NJPW)
8 - ASUKA (DDT, SEAd, Sendai, ZERO1), Hiroshi Tanahashi (NJPW), Kazusada Higuchi (DDT), Konosuke Takeshita (AEW, DDT), Shingo Takagi (NJPW)

Top 5 Matches
The other two matches that I currently have at >5 and might make my year end list on a rewatch are
- Kazuchika Okada vs Tetsuya Naito (NJPW Wrestling Dontaku May 1st)
- El Lindaman vs Shigehiro Irie (GLEAT G-Pro Wrestling Ver.25 May 18th)

But right now my favourite matches of the year are:

1. Kazuchika Okada vs Will Ospreay - G1 Climax Finals August 18th
I had no idea who was going to win this match. I know I wanted Okada to win because I think he is the best wrestler on Earth and I could see them giving him a clean win after the mess that was Ibushi's injury in last years finals. On the other hand, Ospreay beat the person I was convinced was taking the tournament in the semi finals and cut an impassioned babyface promo about how the only way he was able to beat Okada in the past was by cheating (their record before this amtch was something like 6-1 Okada), and how this time he would be able to do it on his own merits. The last 10 minutes of the match were on a whole other level but the entire 35 minutes kept me enthralled to see how the G1 would finish

2. Yuma Aoyagi vs Naoya Nomura - AJPW Royal Road Round 1 August 7th
Yuma Aoyagi is a phenominal wrestler and at only 26 years old is a bonafide main eventer, but going into this match I wasn't sure how he would do leading the match, considering his other big matches were against more experienced guys like Kento and Jake Lee. His opponent was Naoya Nomura, who has had fantastic matches in the past but recently took 22 months off with a spinal injury, and has spent all of 2022 in tag matches where his partner Watase would take all the damage and Nomura came in for the hot tag, always being solid but nothing to write home about. I was expecting more of that in this match, but Nomura brought back some of the old magic and threw everything at Yuma, giving a far better accounting of himself than I thought possible given his year so far. This is my emotional match of the year by far and I can't imagine anything surpassing it.

3. Kento Miyahara (c) vs Yuma Aoyagi - Triple Crown - AJPW Champion 50th Anniversary Tour May 15th
Oh hey, Yuma's back. The month before this on the final block night of the Champion Carnival Yuma managed to outlast Kento and force a time limit draw to squeak through to the CC finals, where he defeated Jake Lee. Now he has to fight the leader of his stable to win his first ever singles title, except this time the time limit is a full hour. Kento MIyahara is the best wrestler in the world that nobody watches, it's a crime that he has no MOTYC yet (go watch the match he had with Izuchi at GLEAT and imagine what he can with a main event spot) and Yuma Aoyagi has spent the last year working his way up the card and becoming a true main eventer. I was so sure that Kento was going to reatain here, as the last two Triple Crown holders had to vacate the title due to injury/illness and Kento is the promotions biggest star and works a safe style, but Yuma is the future of the promotion and it could reasonably be time to pull the trigger on him. Hell, the very point of the NEXTREAM stable was to make a generational change within All Japan and Kento teaming with Yuma has raised him this high already, there's only one more step to make.

4. Keisuke Ishii and Shigehiro Irie vs Shuji Ishikawa and Isami Kodaka - Ganbare Pro Wrestle Sekigahara July 10th
I love GanPro, it's a little indie on the Wrestle Universe network that runs half-full venues or shitholes like 2AW Square, but they treat everything with such earnestness it's hard not to root for them. This is the opening match in the biggest venue they have ever run, and the crowd will be allowed to be vocal for the first time since I have started watching the promotion. This match isn't a celebration of the core of GanPro, only Keisuke Ishii is a regular roster member although Irie makes frequent appearances. This match is four guys leaving everything in the ring in front of a crowd that are rabid for them in order to get the show off on the right track, and by god they deliver. Shuji Ishikawa continues to be an absolute monster for big matches as he apporaches the end of his career, Kodaka eschews some of the silliness he often has in favour of stiff strikes, Ishii continues to be the best worker on the GanPro roster and Irie is a loving beast. Put them together you have a match I was expecting to be good, but not this good.

5. Arisa Nakajima vs Tsukasa Fujimoto - SEAdLINNNG Golden Moment April 29th
Arisa Nakajima is one of the best women's wrestlers in the world and one half of the real Best Friends. The other half of that team in her opponent in this match. Although Arisa is the current Champion in SEAd, that belt is not on the line here. In fact, these two will be running this match back for the belt in less than 24 hours in Tsukka's home promotion Ice Ribbon. This match is just for pride, and these two ladies beat the gently caress out of each other just because they can, and it meant that either could win and not gently caress with the title picture. Because these two had been teaming for 7 years at this point, they know each others moves inside and out. And when your opponent knows all your moves and can counter nearly everything you throw out, your only option left is violence.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SG Bamboo posted:

MOTYC
Right now I have an even 200 MOTYC over the first 8 months, which is crazy since I only had 202 for the entirety of last year.

Every year for the last few years I've thought,"Welp, this is it, wrestling must have peaked, it can NOT get any better than this" and every year so far it just keeps being even more incredible. Think about what things are going to be like when Japan is back to full cheering crowds again :stare:

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Jerusalem posted:

Every year for the last few years I've thought,"Welp, this is it, wrestling must have peaked, it can NOT get any better than this" and every year so far it just keeps being even more incredible. Think about what things are going to be like when Japan is back to full cheering crowds again :stare:

Paraphrasing Dave Meltzer talking about Ospreay vs RKJ: “the storytelling and athleticism were unreal. In many years in the past, this would have been match of the year. It wasn’t Ospreays best match this week”

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
HM: Bryan Danielson vs. Jake Hager, AEW Dynamite, 31/08
HM: Dante Martin vs. Rush vs. Rey Fenix vs. Wheeler Yuta, AEW Dynamite, 31/08
MOTYC: The Elite vs. Will Ospreay/Aussie Open, AEW Dynamite, 31/08

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

MOTYC
31st July
New Japan G1 Climax Night 9
Jeff Cobb vs Lance Archer

HM
31st July
New Japan G1 Climax Night 9
Chase Owens vs Jay White

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

Match owned

For real. It's right up there with Claudio vs Takeshita. That could've been the PPV match, to be honest.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

sportsgenius86 posted:

Match owned

Yeah this was shockingly good.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

HM
16th June
Sendai Girls In Shin-Kiba
Prominence (Mochi Natsumi & Risa Sera) vs Reiwa Ultima Powers (DASH Chisako & Hiroyo Matsumoto)

HOLY loving poo poo. Some absolutely hideous looking bumps taken with DASH & tables, including an insanely gnarly top rope German where she cracked her head & neck on the edge of the table rather than going through it. But I can't go higher because the crowd did not care, which is a shame
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHYA3Fqtf-k

MOTYC
16th June
Sendai Girls In Shin-Kiba
Sendai Girls Tag Team Titles
Team 200kg (Chihiro Hashimoto & Yuu) vs Red Energy (Mika Iwata & Miyuki Takase)

Just rad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcXcrc2NsYc

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
From Dynamite last night

HM: Baker & Hayter vs. Shida & Storm
HM: Dante Martin vs. Fenix vs. Rush vs. Yuta
MOTYC: Elite vs. United Empire

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Rarity posted:

MOTYC: The Elite vs. Will Ospreay/Aussie Open, AEW Dynamite, 31/08[/b]

yea this

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
HM: Josh Alexander (C) vs. Masha Slamovich, Impact Championship match, AAW Destination Chicago, 9/1

Might be in-person bias but I dug the hell out of this and think it probably stands on its own at least at HM level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Pylons posted:

AEW Dynamite 8/31

Nth