Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

pyknosis posted:

I had two robo-advisor accounts with Fidelity (before I read this thread) and they treat them the same way -- "closed" just meant emptying them out, and I had to hide them in the UI but they're still there.

How do you hide them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pipistrelle
Jun 18, 2011

Seems the high horse is taking them all home

Omne posted:

How do you hide them?

At least via their desktop app, you log in and there’s a small cog on the left hand side of the page, above All accounts. Click the cog, and then account display preferences.

If you’re using Fidelity Netbenefits, you log in and there’s a “Name and hide accounts” link below the Your accounts and benefits section

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I also have a closed, zero balance old Fidelity 401(k) sitting in my Fidelity accounts window. It doesn't bother me and I never really thought about it.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
When I log into Fidelity I have a pension plan from AT&T listed under “Accounts”.

I’ve never worked for AT&T.

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
Maybe you're going to work there in the future and they're just getting the account ready for you

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

It might be some sort of mistake. I would call and ask.

Maybe an old employer of yours was bought by AT&T?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
Fidelity contains all possible 401Ks from every possible employer for each customer, and merely unhides the relevant ones.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Awkward Davies posted:

When I log into Fidelity I have a pension plan from AT&T listed under “Accounts”.

I’ve never worked for AT&T.

The most likely reason is because At&t has bought many companies and their pension plan liabilities over the years. Usually (but not always) when a Defined Benefit plan is converted only the ones with a vested benefit are loaded.

Next time you log into the Fidelity system, click on the link and see if you have something payable.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

pyknosis posted:

Maybe you're going to work there in the future and they're just getting the account ready for you

Do not wish cruel things on other posters like “you will work at ATT.”

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Stock Plan Connect from Morgan Stanley is a similar situation. I don’t think they ever close your account, even if you got 20 shares of stock ten years ago and sold it immediately.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Antillie posted:

It might be some sort of mistake. I would call and ask.

Maybe an old employer of yours was bought by AT&T?

I don't think so?

When I click on it I get an error message "Not all the features are currently available. Please try again later."

So something is just broken. Just a weird occurrence.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Awkward Davies posted:

I don't think so?

When I click on it I get an error message "Not all the features are currently available. Please try again later."

So something is just broken. Just a weird occurrence.

That means that they didn't load all of your data when they converted your record. Record keeping of pension records has historically been very sloppy.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

I want to buy-and-forget a significant amount of VOO, more than the 500k covered by SIPC. Should I break up my money to multiple brokers so they remain within the guaranteed cover amount? What brokers would you recommend right now?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I dunno but I imagine that whatever world situation arises where someone like Fidelity would just go belly up and lose all their assets is one where I wouldn’t be worried about how I was going to access my investment accounts.

E: here is a post by a Fidelity employee on their subreddit:

All Fidelity brokerage accounts are covered by SIPC. This includes money market funds held in a brokerage account, since they are considered securities.

In addition to SIPC protection, Fidelity provides its brokerage customers with additional "excess of SIPC" coverage through Lloyd’s of London. The excess coverage would only be used when SIPC coverage is exhausted. SIPC coverage protects assets held in brokerage accounts, including stocks, bonds, mutual funds, and money market funds. Total aggregate excess of SIPC coverage available through Fidelity's excess of SIPC policy is $1 billion. Within Fidelity's excess of SIPC coverage, there is no per customer dollar limit on coverage of securities, but there is a per customer limit of $1.9 million on coverage of cash awaiting investment. This is the maximum excess of SIPC protection currently available in the brokerage industry. Like SIPC, excess protection does not cover investment losses in customer accounts, including losses due to market fluctuation

I would imagine the other brokerages have something similar.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 22, 2024

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

UnfurledSails posted:

I want to buy-and-forget a significant amount of VOO, more than the 500k covered by SIPC. Should I break up my money to multiple brokers so they remain within the guaranteed cover amount? What brokers would you recommend right now?

I still don't entirely understand how SIPC coverage applies. If you buy a security (VOO), Fidelity is simply facilitating your ownership. If Fidelity fails, your securities would simply be transferred to another institution.

In order for SIPC to come into play, Fidelity would have had to done something bad, like selling customer holdings without telling them (?). Cash is more straightforward. Banks use cash to lend out to other people, buy bonds, etc, and all of that can come back to bite them like we saw recently with SVB. But in the case of securities, wouldn't they have to sell your securities out from under you without you knowing?

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

UnfurledSails posted:

Brokerages that are cool and good:
- Fidelity
- Vanguard
- Schwab
- IBKR

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I prefer Schwab over all others because their customer service is top top top tier, but I still invest in a lot of Vanguard MFs/ETFs though Schwab has highly competitive offerings. Fidelity competes with Vanguard's MFs/ETFs but I still go with Vanguard for non-number reasons, namely that they don't allow cryptocurrency investing in any form which is a mission I can get behind.

https://investor.vanguard.com/investor-resources-education/news/no-bitcoin-etfs-at-vanguard-heres-why

Also Schwab is a lot better about visualizing performance and the interface/user experience is a lot cleaner in my opinion. I recognize this is not a compelling reason to pick them, but Schwab/Vanguard/Fidelity are all basically the same presence

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I’ve been putting off topping off our IRAs due a bad case of “I’ll deal with it later”.

Don’t be like me.

Now to re-read the thread title and fire off those purchases despite the market being insane.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

That's the thing. The market is always insane.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
the market has been at an ATH something like 1500 times since the great depression.

it will generally be achieving ATHs over the course of your life. if it does not this is a bad thing for you and me and everyone else.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

dpkg chopra posted:

I’ve been putting off topping off our IRAs due a bad case of “I’ll deal with it later”.

Don’t be like me.

Now to re-read the thread title and fire off those purchases despite the market being insane.

Vanguard does an automatic Roth IRA deposit every month that I like. So it's just the yearly maximum divided by twelve out of my bank account the first of every month. Set it and forget it is great.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Normalize never looking at numbers and charts and just pressing buy.

In fact that should be an option in broker software. I want to toggle off all numbers and charts.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the market has been at an ATH something like 1500 times since the great depression.

it will generally be achieving ATHs over the course of your life. if it does not this is a bad thing for you and me and everyone else.

If you're assuming that the market will go up on average, it has to be at or near ATH a lot of the time

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
it should be remembered that greenspans famous irrational exuberance line was from a speech in 1996, not 1999. a dollar in the nasdaq when he made the speech would have been nearly five dollars in 2000 and a buck twenty eight in 2003. the top of the market is allusive

anyway, just set it and forget it

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Tamba posted:

If you're assuming that the market will go up on average, it has to be at or near ATH a lot of the time

What I'd be curious is the number of days where the market never drops below that value in the next decade. Instead of all time high, new bottom I guess.

Or maybe it's best I don't know because that's probably a statistic that makes you very tempted to try to time the market.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
The best time is now.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

the top of the market is allusive

The markets all like “wow I’m feeling like a really tall tree at the moment. The TALLEST TREE. Kind of like if Sisyphus got there, you know?”

pyknosis
Nov 23, 2007

Young Orc
the top of the market is really fond of synecdoche (insofar as we take the s&p 500 to represent the whole)

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

Awkward Davies posted:

I still don't entirely understand how SIPC coverage applies. If you buy a security (VOO), Fidelity is simply facilitating your ownership. If Fidelity fails, your securities would simply be transferred to another institution.

In order for SIPC to come into play, Fidelity would have had to done something bad, like selling customer holdings without telling them (?). Cash is more straightforward. Banks use cash to lend out to other people, buy bonds, etc, and all of that can come back to bite them like we saw recently with SVB. But in the case of securities, wouldn't they have to sell your securities out from under you without you knowing?

To expand on this, as a thought exercise imagine what it would take to literally steal a piece of real estate. You can break in and steal the deed and forge signatures all you want, but at the end of what will probably be an annoying saga, society isn’t going to recognize you as the rightful owner.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Eyes Only posted:

To expand on this, as a thought exercise imagine what it would take to literally steal a piece of real estate. You can break in and steal the deed and forge signatures all you want, but at the end of what will probably be an annoying saga, society isn’t going to recognize you as the rightful owner.

So you'd need to bring a shovel and dig out the dirt you are saying? Then it's yours? If you take it, with action!

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
I took a contracting job overseas with Lockheed 10 yrs ago. I came back in 2016 and invested a lump sum with Vanguard in vtsax and vfiax (50/50). Going by the rule of 72, my investments double about every 5 or 6 years. The boring stuff works so well. I did some research and found the strategy through jl collins simple path to wealth. Definitely the best thing I've done for retirement and I'd recommend it to anyone.

davey4283 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Feb 23, 2024

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

davey4283 posted:

I took a contracting job overseas with Lockheed 10 yrs ago. I came back in 2016 and invested a lump sum with Vanguard in vtsax and vfiax (50/50). Going by the rule of 72, my investments double about every 5 or 6 years. The boring stuff works so well. I did some research and found the strategy through jl collins simple path to wealth. Definitely the best thing I've done for retirement and I'd recommend it to anyone.

While I think this is a solid strategy why both vtsax and vfiax? They are basically the same thing.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
When I made those decisions I was fresh into the market and the books I read had me obsessed with dividend yields. Collins is all about vtsax but the sp500's div was higher so I went half in each. I'd probably just do one or the other now but it's all in a taxable account so I can never move it without cap gains tax.

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer

davey4283 posted:

When I made those decisions I was fresh into the market and the books I read had me obsessed with dividend yields. Collins is all about vtsax but the sp500's div was higher so I went half in each. I'd probably just do one or the other now but it's all in a taxable account so I can never move it without cap gains tax.

I did something similar with VIG and it’s been fine, not 100% optimal but ok.

drk
Jan 16, 2005
tired: dividend yield
wired: shareholder yield

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

drk posted:

tired: dividend yield
wired: shareholder yield

there's an etf for that. it has significantly outperformed the s&p since early 2020 (just before covid crash), but not on most other timeframes (basically kept even).

Cambria Shareholder Yield ETF
https://www.cambriafunds.com/syld
https://www.cambriafunds.com/assets/docs/insights/better-approach-to-dividend-investing.pdf

blackrock has something vaguely similar. it hasn't done as well as SYLD or the s&p over most timeframes.
iShares Core Dividend ETF
Why DIVB?
1. Invests in U.S. companies that return capital to shareholders through paying dividends and/or buying back their stock
https://www.ishares.com/us/products/291387/ishares-core-dividend-etf

https://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf.php?SPY,SYLD,DIVB&n=1020&O=011000

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib

Smashing Link posted:

I did something similar with VIG and it’s been fine, not 100% optimal but ok.

Yea, I guess I'm not too upset about it since both funds perform about the same. Even VIG isn't too bad, I looked at the fact sheet and the yoy returns are pretty decent (over 10%).

The problem is the investing books are all written by old timers with strategies from the 50's and 60's like Ben Graham. Value investing and div yields, yadda yadda. Tech PE ratios of 250 weren't a thing back then. I would only consider maxing out on dividend stocks if I was close to retirement and trying to live off them.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Something that REALLY turned me off to Fidelity today was that I had to actually call them and their robot asked me to “enter your password using the letters on the keypad”. This means that if my password was say “diCK” for example then on the phone I’d have to enter “3425” which is raising all sorts of red flags because 3425 could also spell other passwords and also it means they don’t care if my password had capitals and since I can’t type in symbols on the keypad I’m guessing they don’t care about those either. I posted about this in the infosec thread and some former Facebook goon basically said yes it’s safe and standard practice but Jesus Christ.

I'm curious about how this is done. So, supposedly and according to all best practices I know, companies don't store our passwords, they store hashes, or at least they should. This means they shouldn't know the characters of your password, they shouldn't be able to know if the key presses match the letters in the password. Maybe I'm forgetting some algorithmic way they can do this, but if the hash is immutable, this shouldn't be possible. Now that I think about it, those "insert the 2nd letter from your password" things should also be impossible.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

orange sky posted:

I'm curious about how this is done. So, supposedly and according to all best practices I know, companies don't store our passwords, they store hashes, or at least they should. This means they shouldn't know the characters of your password, they shouldn't be able to know if the key presses match the letters in the password. Maybe I'm forgetting some algorithmic way they can do this, but if the hash is immutable, this shouldn't be possible. Now that I think about it, those "insert the 2nd letter from your password" things should also be impossible.

Yeah but in that infosec thread I linked someone basically said companies think we’re stupid and even though we typed out password as “password” they’ll also make it all caps and hash “PASSWORD” as well, because people are stupid and will complain that their password doesn’t work when they accidentally leave caps lock on.

E: But also, on subsequent times when I called Fidelity I figured out you don’t even need to enter your password. Just hit pound a few times and the robot bypasses it and takes you to a person. Not really sure what the hell the password thing is even for.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Feb 26, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esquilax
Jan 3, 2003

orange sky posted:

Not an expert at all, but they could theoretically generate a separate hash table for phone passwords at the time you initially set your password, that can only be used on the phone. Combine that with some kind of "I'm not a robot" technology that can help distinguish bot key presses from human.

Anyone with fidelity (I don't)can test if its a separate table by typing their phone password into the website password field and see if it lets you in

The big risk is if both the phone hash table and the online hash table get leaked, but other than that it seems as secure as any call center that doesn't need a password.

esquilax fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Feb 26, 2024