Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

Just making fun of one poster in particular on these forums

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

freeedr posted:

Wait. How does this work?

Does… the ambulance leave the hospital? Certainly not

No take! Only bring.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Found in the wild

https://www.guniwheel.com/shop-now/guniwheel-45s

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

devicenull posted:

Found in the wild

https://www.guniwheel.com/shop-now/guniwheel-45s

Lmao so those are just for like if you are a towing company or a body shop and need to push a car around a garage right?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

devicenull posted:

Found in the wild

quote:

Speed rating: 5 MPH

Oof. lol

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Armacham posted:

Lmao so those are just for like if you are a towing company or a body shop and need to push a car around a garage right?

Correct. Note the stops in the tread to keep it from just rolling off. There were a few in-progress cars/chassis at the Good Guys Show that had them. Pretty neat. Various sizes and offsets.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Bp at some stations has the pumps switched, everywhere else it's green for diesel, seen a few bps where gasoline was green and black was diesel, all on the same pump. Almost hosed my wife's car up because of it before but caught it because the nozzle is bigger.

Is the nozzle size standard universal? Or is there e.g. an EU standard, a DOT standard etc?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Groda posted:

Is the nozzle size standard universal? Or is there e.g. an EU standard, a DOT standard etc?

https://standards.globalspec.com/std/14468615/EN%2013012

This is for eurozone.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
Kind of a tangent, but aviation has (mostly) standardized nozzles for jet fuel and gasoline after a fuel mix-up nearly killed Bob Hoover.

If you Google "hoover nozzle" you'll find vacuum attachments, but if you search "hoover nozzle jet fuel" you'll find it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I'm not googling "hoover nozzle jet fuel inflation rule 34" again

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I guess it does something. And probably was readily at hand.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Saukkis posted:

I guess it does something. And probably was readily at hand.

Great mechanical successes, more like.

As an aside, I have never had a wiper motor fail in twenty years of driving. Passenger cars, pickups, vans, delivery trucks, bigger delivery trucks, in every general condition, it's the one thing that always just seems to work. Like, every vehicle I've driven outside of 5-ton straight trucks shake slightly while the wipers are running. It's a simple machine, but still. Are all wiper assemblies just stupidly overbuilt for their job?

I've heard horror stories about the fragility of manual wiper blades, and some more about vacuum operated wipers' effectiveness, but the electric wiper never gets any shade thrown upon it.

CaptainTofu
Jun 1, 2021

I've had two fail on my van, one in the notoriously dry Scottish Highlands , the other during a storm in northern France. You have not known fear like your wipers stopping in pouring rain on the highway at 80mph with nowhere to pull over for multiple miles.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

madeintaipei posted:

I've heard horror stories about the fragility of manual wiper blades, and some more about vacuum operated wipers' effectiveness, but the electric wiper never gets any shade thrown upon it.

That brought back memories of my childhood on the farm and our Zetor tractor. The rear window had a manually operated wiper. Attached to a huge rusty nail that poked through the cabin and was bent down to form a handle. The pointy end inside of course, how else could it get through the cabin wall. I know where it resides nowadays, should go check if it still has the same handle.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Seen Chevy ones fail, mainly it being that the drat gears strip because they cheap out and make them plastic.

Then again snow belt areas and people do gently caress with them hard and try to let the small motors move 100 pounds of snow.

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
I had my wiper motors die in a blizzard once, I just put on my snowboard goggles and stuck my head out the window. It was a 240DL of all things, loved that brick.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

That's the mama cradling her baby haul truck.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

That took talent.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Truck is properly fuckled.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Can't park there mate.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

madeintaipei posted:

As an aside, I have never had a wiper motor fail in twenty years of driving. Passenger cars, pickups, vans, delivery trucks, bigger delivery trucks, in every general condition, it's the one thing that always just seems to work. Like, every vehicle I've driven outside of 5-ton straight trucks shake slightly while the wipers are running. It's a simple machine, but still. Are all wiper assemblies just stupidly overbuilt for their job?

Ford integrates all the electronics into the wiper motor, starting in the .....late 90s? It's very common for the cowl drain to get plugged up and wind up with spastic wipers on Crown Victorias, which means new motor.

I guess technically that's not the motor itself failing; it's the control board getting submerged. But you can't replace one without the other, it's all in one. :argh: In almost 30 years of driving, that's the only wiper motor I've had to replace.

CaptainTofu posted:

I've had two fail on my van, one in the notoriously dry Scottish Highlands , the other during a storm in northern France. You have not known fear like your wipers stopping in pouring rain on the highway at 80mph with nowhere to pull over for multiple miles.

I've had a blade perform a rapid unscheduled disassembly during a nasty storm, leaving just the arm. Driver's side of course. I had laundry in the back seat at the time, wound up tying a sock on it to keep the arm from scratching up the windshield.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

One of the many interesting design "features" from Reliant is that the water will not flow through the back of the motor without the heater being on. So if you turn the heater off then cylinder number 4 will overheat, and the motor will break.

lmao that owns

comment on this video, sequel to this one

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

madeintaipei posted:

My coworker has had to replace his rear wiper motor twice on his 2017 SEAT Leon station wagon.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

:mmmhmm:

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

For some reason the scale on this fucks with my eyes. To me it could easily be a model truck, despiter the evidence that it clearly isnt.

Vile_Nihlist666
Jan 15, 2009

God isn't watching you... but I am!

madeintaipei posted:

Great mechanical successes, more like.

Well I can attest vacuum wipers do suck and are a loving danger to all, as they explicitly work worst at the precise moments you need them, like doing 65 down a highway in a storm.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Weirdly that's perfect in the snow when you get nothing on your windshield when you're moving but as soon as you stop you need all the wipers

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
lol if your windshield is raked steeply and clean enough that water just rolls off it at highway speeds

This was universally untrue of cars that used vacuum wipers, of course.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

Vile_Nihlist666 posted:

Well I can attest vacuum wipers do suck and are a loving danger to all, as they explicitly work worst at the precise moments you need them, like doing 65 down a highway in a storm.

my 51 cambridge doesn't have reverse lights, but it does have the optional electric wipers; such luxury.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Well, drat. Maybe I've just been lucky with wipers.

We could make a whole game of, "Never Have I Ever.", out of this thread.

Never have I ever jammed a large screwdriver in and duct taped it in place of a lower ball joint just to get home/to the road.

madeintaipei fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 30, 2023

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

madeintaipei posted:

Well, drat. Maybe I've just been lucky with wipers.

We could make a whole game of, "Never Have I Ever.", out of this thread.

Never have I ever jammed a large screwdriver in and duct taped it in place of a lower ball joint just to get home/to the road.

Never have I ever run with 3 working brakes after plugging one of the rear lines with a bolt at the distribution block.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Never have I ever used a plastic bag from 7-11 and twist ties to patch an upper radiator hose long enough to limp home.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Never have I ever accidentally applied rust protection to the underside of my truck by being too lazy to pull the driveshaft out of the transfer case to replace a leaking seal, instead just keeping it topped up.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Never have I ever just kept putting air in a tire once every 3 weeks because I was to lazy to fix whatever the rim leak was

Or had to replace the wheel bearing yearly likely due to said rim leak

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Or sold said car for basically a case of beer knowing that it needed a clutch and timing belt while also literally being 90% rust

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Never have I ever limped home on back roads while going through 3 bottles of brake fluid after a caliper was sheared off

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Never have I gotten a safety inspection sticker by pop-riveting sheetmetal over the gaping rust holes in the wheel wells and covering the "repair" up with spray tar.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Never have I ever made it 50 miles on an overheating rover v8 by cycling the ignition when the mechanical torque converter clutch was engaged.
Never have I ever made it home when the mechanical carb fuel pump broke off the block, leaving me to use an efi in tank pump powered by the rear window defroster circuit.
Never have I ever had a fuel pump fail in the middle of death valley, where I deleted it and used gravity feed to make it to Pahrump, NV.

I could do this all drat day.

But one more.

Never have I ever polished a turd for several years only to put boost to and finish killing an "unkillable" engine then break the frame seven times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I'm starting to think you all actually did those things!