Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
you gotta solo every boss once though. I sometimes summon first playthrough so I can get space to figure out boss movesets but sometimes that backfires. for instance I need to kill friede solo since my first try with an npc was easy mode vs her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
I love co-op, it's one of my favorite parts of the game.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

SHISHKABOB posted:

:yeah:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Summons are great! I'm one of the die-hard self-imposed "must solo every boss" players, but that's because it's what I personally enjoy (and I know I can do it damnit!). People like to hype up the Souls games as being OMG SO SUPER HARD but summons exist for a reason. You don't have to beat everything yourself, if you enjoy the atmosphere and lore and whatnot there's a system in place to let you get through the game easier. If you're banging your head against the wall and simply can't get past a boss, or you just don't find it enjoyable to fight just summon! Same if you encounter a frustrating area. It's a game, you're supposed to have fun! The people who insist that summoning is "wrong" are the worst, it's such a genius system.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I hate to seem like I'm disparaging the way anybody else plays the game, I totally love killing a boss solo too.

I get scared, is the honest truth.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
I love playing through solo and killing every boss on my own. But I love helping people, friends especially, through the bosses even more. I don't use summons myself but it's great co-oping with people and spamming the HELLO carving over the corpse of a dude.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Your Computer posted:

DS3 seems to hammer this point in, and I actually really like that. Like you'll find item descriptions that talk about events ages past and gets stuff wrong, and we know they got it wrong because we were there in the previous games :monocle: I'm sure it also pisses some people off but I personally find it delightful.

Same. It's a... good(?) frustration not having all the answers. I like to read about ancient Canaanite/Hittite mythology and "Biblical" archaeology from a minimalist perspective, and it's the same kind of thing: a scrap of an inscription here, a statue that looks kinda like a painting there, and the rest is pure conjecture. It's an unsolvable mystery and that's fun in a weird way.

That Dang Dad fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Apr 1, 2017

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Man, it feels like the demon prince boss is everything I hate about dark soul boss design- it's extremely tedious, plagued by terrible camera wankery, and the only thing that makes it remotely challenging is that it takes me ten minutes to painstakingly chip their health down, and a single mistake kills me and forces me to start over.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Omi no Kami posted:

Man, it feels like the demon prince boss is everything I hate about dark soul boss design- it's extremely tedious, plagued by terrible camera wankery, and the only thing that makes it remotely challenging is that it takes me ten minutes to painstakingly chip their health down, and a single mistake kills me and forces me to start over.

This is pretty much all DS3 DLC boss fights sometimes the fights suck and you notice it other times the fights are awesome so it doesn't matter.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Yea, I don't know what in particular is miffing me about this one, I think it's the enormous amount of health it has. Like, the last boss of AoA was BS and janky in all the same ways, but learning the patterns let you breeze through the whole thing in less than 3 minutes. Forcing you to pour 7-10 minutes into slowly chipping away feels unfair in comparison, when they can nearly instantly ruin your day.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It just occurred to me, are there no cats in Dark Souls 3?

Dark Souls 1 and 2 both had prominent cat characters; there are no cats that I can think of in DS3, not even as enemies.

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

It just occurred to me, are there no cats in Dark Souls 3?

Dark Souls 1 and 2 both had prominent cat characters; there are no cats that I can think of in DS3, not even as enemies.

They're probably all extinct. It is the end of the world, after all.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Demon prince does have too much health. Really everything seems to in Ringed City.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle

SHISHKABOB posted:

Genocyber and I wound up being in a group longer than either of us expected. We only helped each other with Vordt, and after that just shot the shizz in party chat.

I heard his lament as he died repeatedly to 1 evangelist I THOUGHT YOU WERE MLG PR0 AT DARK SOULS GENOCYBER!?!

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I never coop on not bosses. I really should try it sometimes.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Me playing Dark Souls as a phantom

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

C:enter:###
Can I get a hand, I can't figure out how to get past a part in the second DLC.

I'm in the Ringed City and the gong rear end in a top hat keeps summoning ruin sentinel archers. I can't seem to figure out where to go. The archers annihilate me, and when I try to kill the gong guy they appear and kill me. What am I missing.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

There's little walls of tomb stones to hide behind

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

There's little walls of tomb stones to hide behind

I got that part, but am I supposed to kill the gong dude? I made it to the little room below him, but there was his hammer summon that got me. Are there tomb stones near him to hide behind so I can take him out?

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Oh just ignore him. The hammer dude only follows you to the bottom of the stairs keep going.
Gong dude is an environmental hazard with a health bar that you shouldn't waste your time on

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Watrick posted:

I got that part, but am I supposed to kill the gong dude? I made it to the little room below him, but there was his hammer summon that got me. Are there tomb stones near him to hide behind so I can take him out?

There are stairs going down on the side behind him.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Watrick posted:

a poo poo ton of rolling around. the gong dude will summon archers right as you get to him and you need to dodge their arrows, then dodge the hammer guy. then you'll have time for a few attacks and back to more rolling. it's absurd since you get absolutely nothing for doing it.

Watrick
Mar 15, 2007

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Oh just ignore him. The hammer dude only follows you to the bottom of the stairs keep going.
Gong dude is an environmental hazard with a health bar that you shouldn't waste your time on

Got it. Thank you so goddamn much. That was frustrating me.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Hide behind the tomestone when archers are out, wait for the hammer guy to start being summoned and take a few wacks, then repeat. He is pretty weak and then you can collect everything in the area.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

a poo poo ton of rolling around. the gong dude will summon archers right as you get to him and you need to dodge their arrows, then dodge the hammer guy. then you'll have time for a few attacks and back to more rolling. it's absurd since you get absolutely nothing for doing it.

Oh no, the first time you kill him, you get a Divine Blessing. :suicide:

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

I figured out the angels and wololo man right away, but it took me 15 tries to get around the area's basic enemies set up in a difficult way.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Killing gong dude is really satisfying to pull off and you wanna do it so you can get the items in that stretch of zone and also because it's Dark Souls.

Kill everything.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Killing gong dude is really satisfying to pull off and you wanna do it so you can get the items in that stretch of zone and also because it's Dark Souls.

Kill everything.

He's also not hard at all. Once you get close enough to him that he stops summoning archers and get the hang of avoiding hammer dude down, the giant himself is a pushover.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

I never coop on not bosses. I really should try it sometimes.

It can be cool. I just ran through the entire Cathedral of the deep area with a person, and even got the final boss. DS3 makes it a lot harder to be a summoned phantom, I think. Or maybe I'm just used to the two different soapstones of DS2. The little soapstone was super convenient.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

There small soapstone in ds2 was great, small commitment and refills estus. Great for mid bonfire refills.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Uncle w Benefits posted:

Genocyber and I wound up being in a group longer than either of us expected. We only helped each other with Vordt, and after that just shot the shizz in party chat.

I heard his lament as he died repeatedly to 1 evangelist I THOUGHT YOU WERE MLG PR0 AT DARK SOULS GENOCYBER!?!

Dying means you're good at these games, dude. Prepare to Die and whatnot.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
I kinda wish there was a Boss Battle arena mode in which I could select two bosses and have them fight each other with their specific AIs and see who would win. I want to see all the classics: Capra Demon vs Smelter Demon, Artorius vs Fume Knight, Kalameet vs Midir, Deacons of the Deep vs Royal Rat Vanguard, Yhorm vs Giant King, Gwyn vs Gael, Bed of Chaos vs Bed of Chaos... wait...

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Shrek Souls is the IP reboot we need.

Some- the w- I ai-
[Level up]
[Talk]
[Enhance Estus flask]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
will orbeck only show up as a summon for the lothric prince boss fight if i beat another boss before doing them? Only got nameless king left before doing DLC if so

how do I start the firost DLC btw?

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc

Jose posted:

will orbeck only show up as a summon for the lothric prince boss fight if i beat another boss before doing them? Only got nameless king left before doing DLC if so

how do I start the firost DLC btw?

I thought you have to give Orbeck all 4 scrolls or something.

And the first DLC starts in the Cathedral of the Deep in that little church

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

You have to buy every spell then beat a boss

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think my biggest issue with the dlc so far is that there are so many areas where you have to just run as fast as you can pray that you can find cover before you are killed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Well Nameless King died on the first attempt this run. Sorcery makes the first phase piss easy

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Is there a bonfire after that big gauntlet in the Ringed City of Fire knight dudes, lovely lightning dudes, and fat tree orbhead men? I mean the bit with the big stair downwards with that NPC at the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Why is the soul of a demon worth so many souls?