Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
I'm not sure what it was but "Assassin" in the 1E AD&D games I played in was basically code for "The one PC with the jokiest name." Like I was in a game with two half-orc assassins named Izzy Dedyet and Hitim Agin. And those were the most subtle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Back when I played AD&D in public games, anyone picking Assassin was guaranteed to be either "12 pages of backstory" guy or "...but it's what my character would do!" guy, or both.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm actually surprised to learn that Salvatores books predated 1e. Doesn't that make the dual scimitar thing even sillier or was he never trying to hew to the mechanics?

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

mastershakeman posted:

I'm actually surprised to learn that Salvatores books predated 1e. Doesn't that make the dual scimitar thing even sillier or was he never trying to hew to the mechanics?

Well, he didn't predate 1E, just 2E. But in 1E, being able to dual-wield without penalty was a special drow racial ability. That became a ranger property in later editions because of Drizzt.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

unseenlibrarian posted:

Well, he didn't predate 1E, just 2E. But in 1E, being able to dual-wield without penalty was a special drow racial ability. That became a ranger property in later editions because of Drizzt.

oh, neat. Drow were introduced in one of the campaigns, right? The first one to the underdark?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Dual-wielding should just have been "roll damage with Advantage" to begin with.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

gradenko_2000 posted:

that or a flat bonus to damage vs flat bonus to AC you can switch between each turn.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
My friends and I played our first ever D&D game. It was my first one ever, and I just wanna say that I can see why people go gorillas for it. We had SO much fun! The guy running has played before, but it was his first time DMing, and despite having no prior experience or anything to judge it off, I’m going to say that he did an excellent job. Man, what a great time it was. We pretty much stuck to the quest in the starter kit, and we got nowhere close to beating it, but everyone walked out eagerly anticipating our next session. This is something we’ve all wanted to do for over a decade, but just never did it. Therefore, when we officially set a concrete date, everyone put a lot of work into their characters and backstories, and it came together wonderfully. What fun! Can’t wait for our next game.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

NickRoweFillea posted:

My friends and I played our first ever D&D game. It was my first one ever, and I just wanna say that I can see why people go gorillas for it. We had SO much fun! The guy running has played before, but it was his first time DMing, and despite having no prior experience or anything to judge it off, I’m going to say that he did an excellent job. Man, what a great time it was. We pretty much stuck to the quest in the starter kit, and we got nowhere close to beating it, but everyone walked out eagerly anticipating our next session. This is something we’ve all wanted to do for over a decade, but just never did it. Therefore, when we officially set a concrete date, everyone put a lot of work into their characters and backstories, and it came together wonderfully. What fun! Can’t wait for our next game.

That's awesome! The starter kit adventure will take 5-8 sessions depending on how long you play when you meet.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

NickRoweFillea posted:

Glad you enjoyed it! If you guys ever have a question on how to best solve an issue you face, be sure to ask here after the session is over. Despite people here not having the highest opinion on 5e, we all want players to have as much fun as possible and the posters in this thread have a lot of experience with a variety of problems.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

So one of my players asked me about a particular facet of a Wild Sorcerer's Wild Surge ability: If he would in fact roll a 1 to trigger a surge, does the effect replace the spell he tried to cast? I figured not, since the ability reads as "...after the spell is cast..." which to me means after the spell goes off. For some reason he is skeptical, and I can almost see his point since the text isn't explicit about it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

gradenko_2000 posted:

mastershakeman posted:

that or a flat bonus to damage vs flat bonus to AC you can switch between each turn.
+1 damage and +1 AC. A shield is +2 AC and a two hander is basically +2 damage, two weapon fighting should be half and half.

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

unseenlibrarian posted:

Are you sure it was because of Drizzt? Rangers were modeled after Aragorn, and he dual-wields in the books.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SettingSun posted:

So one of my players asked me about a particular facet of a Wild Sorcerer's Wild Surge ability: If he would in fact roll a 1 to trigger a surge, does the effect replace the spell he tried to cast? I figured not, since the ability reads as "...after the spell is cast..." which to me means after the spell goes off. For some reason he is skeptical, and I can almost see his point since the text isn't explicit about it.
It's as well as. Point at 81-82, "You may immediately take another action". If it was instead of that one would have no effect most of the time.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Splicer posted:

+1 damage and +1 AC. A shield is +2 AC and a two hander is basically +2 damage, two weapon fighting should be half and half.

I like this.

Similarly I'm mystified at weapon types.

Should just be:
Simple 1h = 1d6 finesse
Martial 1h = 1d8 finesse
2h = 2d6
Polearm = 1d12 reach

All of the different profiles for individual weapons is dumb since in practice there are clear winners and losers. Plus you don't need a statline to know if a weapon is blunt/slash/pierce.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

SettingSun posted:

The text could be more explicit but I agree with your interpretation. I've never seen a group use the random effect as replacing the spell.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Falstaff posted:

Are you sure it was because of Drizzt? Rangers were modeled after Aragorn, and he dual-wields in the books.

He only does once, at Weathertop to brandish torches against the Nazgul. This act is described in a single sentence. At every other instance of combat he wields Anduril since it is (re)forged immediately after that event. I would even say once he joins the main host that defends Helm's Deep he acts more like a 4e Warlord than a Ranger.

Splicer posted:

It's as well as. Point at 81-82, "You may immediately take another action". If it was instead of that one would have no effect most of the time.

This is actually pretty conclusive evidence I can present to settle the matter entirely. Thanks!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

mango sentinel posted:

I like this.

Similarly I'm mystified at weapon types.

Should just be:
Simple 1h = 1d6 finesse
Martial 1h = 1d8 finesse
2h = 2d6
Polearm = 1d12 reach

All of the different profiles for individual weapons is dumb since in practice there are clear winners and losers. Plus you don't need a statline to know if a weapon is blunt/slash/pierce.

But how do I know what damage my bil-bec-de-bardiche glaive-guisarme does

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rigged Death Trap posted:

1d12 chart damage

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Piercing+Slashing on both obviously. :rolleyes:

You could get a bec de corbin for piercing+blunt. There's probably some kind of halberd variant with all three if you really want, I don't think weapon type vulnerabilities are typically worth balancing around.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

Falstaff posted:

The 1E ranger is the one most directly modeled after Aragorn, and doesn't have dual-wielding as a feature.

Drizzt's dual-wielding is based on being a drow- it was literally a line in the drow monster and PC race writeup.

After the Drizzt books came out, the ability to dual wield got moved to being a ranger ability in 2E

Also that may be why they got moved to wearing light armor, because Drizzt used his special fancy dark elfmail and then mithral later. 1E rangers ran around in plate like every other fighter.

unseenlibrarian fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Dec 19, 2017

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Imagine playing in the early 80s and the DM says “but this guy is wielding two swords” and everyone at the table gasps in surprise.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

To be fair, everyone in 1E AD&D could dual wield- sort of! They could use a dagger or a handaxe in their offhand at a penalty, reduced by their dex reaction bonus. This is literally buried in a single reference in the DMG and not brought up again elsewhere which, well, is probably peak 1E AD&D.

(Also Drow mostly used their special dual-wield ability to hit people with their spiked bucklers, a completely unprecedented D&D move at that point.)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Mike Mearls is doing an AMA on Reddit right now, FYI.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kaysette posted:

Mike Mearls is doing an AMA on Reddit right now, FYI.

why do you suck so much
why did you hand the game over to alt-right trash
when did you last beat your DM

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!
Hey I keep hearing this Alt right, shithead devs stuff. What's the story here, if ya'll don't mind? I can Google but who knows what I'll read first.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Hey I keep hearing this Alt right, shithead devs stuff. What's the story here, if ya'll don't mind? I can Google but who knows what I'll read first.

It’s in the OP and we’re not really supposed to talk about it anymore.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kaysette posted:

It’s in the OP and we’re not really supposed to talk about it anymore.

Not included in the OP is one of the other consultants, the RPGPundit, who believes that modern RPGs are a seductive force of cultural marxism working to ruin Western culture. This is a man Mike Mearls found suitable to work on D&D.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

unseenlibrarian posted:

To be fair, everyone in 1E AD&D could dual wield- sort of! They could use a dagger or a handaxe in their offhand at a penalty, reduced by their dex reaction bonus. This is literally buried in a single reference in the DMG and not brought up again elsewhere which, well, is probably peak 1E AD&D.

(Also Drow mostly used their special dual-wield ability to hit people with their spiked bucklers, a completely unprecedented D&D move at that point.)

If I remember Entreri as a standard Duel Wielder. (Sword in one hand Dagger in other) Actually called Drizzt out for Dueling wielding two swords. Stating it was going to be ineffective because he would be off balance, before clashing with him and realizing Drizzt was good at it. Not that it gave Drizzt an advantage as Entreri was really good too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

If I remember Entreri as a standard Duel Wielder. (Sword in one hand Dagger in other) Actually called Drizzt out for Dueling wielding two swords. Stating it was going to be ineffective because he would be off balance, before clashing with him and realizing Drizzt was good at it. Not that it gave Drizzt an advantage as Entreri was really good too.

Even I don't care this much about the details of lovely R.A. Salvatore novels.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Edit no need to get angry me.

In other news I just heard of. The D&D Movie has been officially announced for July 23rd, 2021.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 19, 2017

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Razorwired posted:

The problem with the vampire feeding or barbarian drinking a keg of ale to clear exhaustion thing is that at that point why even include the exhaustion mechanic? Your Berzerker is just going to blood drain the last guy/pound some beers at the end of every fight unless you specifically cockblock them about it. And if you're cockblocking them all the time why include the workaround?

Because it provides a short term problem that exists until they can, which maybe it's three rounds of combat or maybe its an hour and it doesn't really require cockblocking to use. It's only when we try to use exhaustion as an all-day bad time that you have to look at it this way.

D&D is mostly about logistics and resource management with a side order of adventuring and roleplaying. If my Barbarian has to figure out how to carry a keg of ale with him everywhere he goes and we get to deal with him being drunk all the time, I kind of feel like the mechanic has done its job.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

I posted "Why is something that is neither an action nor a bonus called a Bonus Action?" but after briefly spiking in upvotes I appear to be getting downvoated now. :shepface:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reene posted:

I posted "Why is something that is neither an action nor a bonus called a Bonus Action?" but after briefly spiking in upvotes I appear to be getting downvoated now. :shepface:

Wouldn't be surprised if Mearls ends up there next.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Mendrian posted:

D&D is mostly about logistics and resource management with a side order of adventuring and roleplaying. If my Barbarian has to figure out how to carry a keg of ale with him everywhere he goes and we get to deal with him being drunk all the time, I kind of feel like the mechanic has done its job.
Personally, that sounds awful.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Arivia posted:

Even I don't care this much about the details of lovely R.A. Salvatore novels.
It was relevant to the conversation and I found it interesting :colbert:

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Mendrian posted:

If my Barbarian has to figure out how to carry a keg of ale with him everywhere he goes and we get to deal with him being drunk all the time, I kind of feel like the mechanic has done its job.

"I buy 100 beers and put them in the Bag of Holding."

Or

"I have 18 Str and I'm not wearing armor. Why can't I carry a pony keg?"

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck
You can carry as much stuff as you can draw on your hero.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Ranger and drow dual wielding aren't actually connected. The dates of 2e's release and Drizzt's release are close enough and there was enough distance between the book writers and game devs that I think it's way more likely that 2e rangers and the new poo poo they got to make them stand out better and Drizzt's general persona being very similar is basically and legitimately just a big coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Personally, that sounds awful.

Hard-drinkin' Barbarian sounds like fun to me.

Although the original idea included Barbarians requiring a full meal fresh meal which isn't something you can always just carry around with you.