Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
please take your loving meds kanye :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angryhead posted:

AE is great.
XXX is great too. The build-up to and release on "30"? God drat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP6fkha9TVQ
I feel like no one really talked about this Nipsey Hussle album here? Catching up on some stuff from this year and especially enjoying this track.

That song is my jam this year

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Issy posted:

Watch Kanye with Pete actually die and yall be sadbrains lmao.

Its pretty hard to be sad for someone dying worth over 250 mil imo. Add kim and they're worth 600mil+ that's definitely gently caress em territory

Harry Potter on Ice fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 15, 2018

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
https://twitter.com/vincestaples/status/1074076010688049152

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

Its pretty hard to be sad for someone dying worth over 250 mil imo. Add kim and they're worth 600mil+ that's definitely gently caress em territory

Drunk on that haterade smh

Death is a unmitigated tragedy, life matters great and small

Except chance the rapper

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

Jonathan Fisk posted:

Drunk on that haterade smh

Death is a unmitigated tragedy, life matters great and small.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

I mean generally I think if your net worth is approaching a billion you prob deserve to die because you don’t get that rich without a shitload of exploitation but Kanye’s music helped me through some hard times and he’s one of my favorite artists so I’d be sad if he died.

Tbh it’s kindve cool how he wears his mental health on his sleeve. Like hip hop is all about positioning yourself as being the coolest, most badass guy around and here’s one of the largest and most successful artists going “yeah I’m crazy and kindve hosed up, what of it?”. It’s not like these are themes that are unheard of or original at all in rap music, but I think that he can be so successful and still openly be the maniac he is represents a certain change in public attitudes. Like even with Future talking about drowning his sorrows in codeine there’s still an undercurrent of braggadocio and representing an aesthetic over authenticity (let’s be real sad raps are trendy as hell), but with Kanye it seems more... honest? Like this is Kanye, love him or hate him, and he’s gonna do what he does because that’s who he is and he can’t really help it, sales and public perception be damned.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Oh please. Mental health is being exploited by everyone and is trendy thing right now.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
don't you think maybe we're overdiagnosing??

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

RBX posted:

Oh please. Mental health is being exploited by everyone and is trendy thing right now.

I mean, yes and no. The whole "sad boys I'm depressed so I do a lot of drugs and complain about my series of failed relationships" aesthetic is super trendy, and I mentioned that in my post briefly. But I feel like that's sort of different than like saying "this is my diagnosis, It's a part of me I'm trying to cope with and live my life as best as I can". What juice world/lil peep/uzi/suicideboys/travis/a billion soundclod rappers/xxxtentacion/future (the originator of the trend really) are doing is its own thing that I definitely think glorifies and exploits mental illness to an extent, but I don't think thats the same thing.. Kanye isn't rapping about how sad he is, he's rapping a pretty raw window into his hosed up mind. It's not really pleasant or relatable to most people and it's not really trendy in the same way, most of the time it makes him look like an rear end more than anything. But that's how mental illness is really. I know Ye was not well received in this thread, but for better or worse the poo poo reads like a therapy session.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

RBX posted:

“Mental health is trendy right now” is the dumbest loving poo poo I’ve read all day.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
shout out the impossible kid which sits right up there with ae as one of the best albums of the decade but explores mental health issues in a way that is so talented, raw, and honest that it rivals kanye's best

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

kanye is good tho he made some bad music recently

victory lap was drat near aoty

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

RBX posted:

Explains your posting

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

As someone with clinically diagnosed treatment-resistant depression (that's gotten to the point of being suicidal before) and severe anxiety, Kanye or any other person in a position of power/influence exploiting their mental illness for publicity is loving gross and makes me think less of them as a person.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

As someone with clinically diagnosed treatment-resistant depression (that's gotten to the point of being suicidal before) and severe anxiety, Kanye or any other person in a position of power/influence exploiting their mental illness for publicity is loving gross and makes me think less of them as a person.

lol @ imagining that kanye is coldly calculating in his public persona

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

kanye is in a position where he literally can't talk about anything without being accused of exploiting or monetising the subject of his expression. as someone with treatment resistant depression, how does being in that position sound?

unlike his 'slavery was a choice' poo poo, him talking about his brain and its problems isn't hurting anyone and is a privilege i want to extend to all of humanity, obscenely wealthy or not.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Every person that posts on something awful is some variety of sad brains (myself included) you don’t have to go into the specifics to get some kind of posting cred to validate your opinion

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Marching Powder posted:

kanye is in a position where he literally can't talk about anything without being accused of exploiting or monetising the subject of his expression. as someone with treatment resistant depression, how does being in that position sound?

unlike his 'slavery was a choice' poo poo, him talking about his brain and its problems isn't hurting anyone and is a privilege i want to extend to all of humanity, obscenely wealthy or not.
He's saying poo poo like being off his meds is great for him and he needs to leave his mental illness untreated in order to make music that people love and I think he's setting a dangerous precedent by putting poo poo like that out there because he has such a huge following that it might inspire people with mental illnesses who look up to him to leave their own conditions untreated because they think that's the only way they could be great.

If you're a celebrity and you struggle with mental health issues, you're supposed to use your platform for good and encourage people to seek help and tell them that things can get better for them. That's...really not what he's doing at all.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

Yeezy isn't actually playing up his disorder for pub he's just unmedicated and unrestrained

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I don't disagree about the ramifications but you're blaming a guy for the manifestation of his illness

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Jonathan Fisk posted:

I don't disagree about the ramifications but you're blaming a guy for the manifestation of his illness
I understand that having brain problems can make you say some wild poo poo (even online where a lot of people can see it) because that's happened to me too.

But like...he needs someone to take the phone away from him, because the wild poo poo he's been saying (and not even just this, I'm talking poo poo going back the last 6 months) can have pretty damaging effects considering the amount of people who hang on his every word. If they don't know better, they can be latching onto really misguided ways of thinking.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

He's saying poo poo like being off his meds is great for him and he needs to leave his mental illness untreated in order to make music that people love and I think he's setting a dangerous precedent by putting poo poo like that out there because he has such a huge following that it might inspire people with mental illnesses who look up to him to leave their own conditions untreated because they think that's the only way they could be great.

If you're a celebrity and you struggle with mental health issues, you're supposed to use your platform for good and encourage people to seek help and tell them that things can get better for them. That's...really not what he's doing at all.

i cannot imagine the pressure he must feel to produce music that is far better than 'good'. my bi polar friend (medicated) says she still misses the mania and considered the trade fair. she only medicates because it's too hard on the people close to her. if she had only herself to care about, she'd be unmedicated. purely anecdotally, i think that people with bi polar get what kanye's saying and able to empathise with his position. even if they didn't, kanye's still allowed to think his own thoughts and feel his own feelings. i think you're being pretty un-generous to the billionaire man but that's just my opinion.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Marching Powder posted:

i cannot imagine the pressure he must feel to produce music that is far better than 'good'. my bi polar friend (medicated) says she still misses the mania and considered the trade fair. she only medicates because it's too hard on the people close to her. if she had only herself to care about, she'd be unmedicated. purely anecdotally, i think that people with bi polar get what kanye's saying and able to empathise with his position. even if they didn't, kanye's still allowed to think his own thoughts and feel his own feelings. i think you're being pretty un-generous to the billionaire man but that's just my opinion.
Obviously he's allowed to think and feel whatever he wants, and I'm sure he is under immense pressure mentally. It's just that him publicly laying out all of his thought processes about wanting to be untreated in order to stay creative, while an understandable side effect of mental illness, is no good when you have the kind of platform he has.

Issy
Jul 15, 2017

https://youtube.com/watch?v=N0iZGMXpquQ

Henchman of Santa posted:

“Mental health is trendy right now” is the dumbest loving poo poo I’ve read all day.

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

I understand that having brain problems can make you say some wild poo poo (even online where a lot of people can see it) because that's happened to me too.

But like...he needs someone to take the phone away from him, because the wild poo poo he's been saying (and not even just this, I'm talking poo poo going back the last 6 months) can have pretty damaging effects considering the amount of people who hang on his every word. If they don't know better, they can be latching onto really misguided ways of thinking.

Once again, kardash consumes all

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Didn’t know the side effects to being bipolar was becoming a poster

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

"yikes"

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
How many popular songs last year were about suicide?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Revisiting Freddie Gibbs' Freddie as I tweak my year end favorites list and this thing still slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5McDktuzVos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf2yOJ8_qAw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssJ84WW3LCI

Most of the beats aren't anything to write home about but Freddie's doing most of the heavy lifting and spitting fire all over this.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Revisiting Freddie Gibbs' Freddie as I tweak my year end favorites list and this thing still slaps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5McDktuzVos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jf2yOJ8_qAw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssJ84WW3LCI

Most of the beats aren't anything to write home about but Freddie's doing most of the heavy lifting and spitting fire all over this.

Weight is fire and that heaven song he is on is also fire. Also the video of him getting puked on is really good

Yuzenn
Mar 31, 2011

Be weary when you see oppression disguised as progression

The Spirit told me to use discernment and a Smith n Wesson at my discretion

Practice heavy self reflection, avoid self deception
If you lost, get re-direction

Tolkien minority posted:

I mean generally I think if your net worth is approaching a billion you prob deserve to die because you don’t get that rich without a shitload of exploitation but Kanye’s music helped me through some hard times and he’s one of my favorite artists so I’d be sad if he died.

Tbh it’s kindve cool how he wears his mental health on his sleeve. Like hip hop is all about positioning yourself as being the coolest, most badass guy around and here’s one of the largest and most successful artists going “yeah I’m crazy and kindve hosed up, what of it?”. It’s not like these are themes that are unheard of or original at all in rap music, but I think that he can be so successful and still openly be the maniac he is represents a certain change in public attitudes. Like even with Future talking about drowning his sorrows in codeine there’s still an undercurrent of braggadocio and representing an aesthetic over authenticity (let’s be real sad raps are trendy as hell), but with Kanye it seems more... honest? Like this is Kanye, love him or hate him, and he’s gonna do what he does because that’s who he is and he can’t really help it, sales and public perception be damned.

Call me when Kanye gives a poo poo during non rollout times. Dude is trying to exploit mental health to sell loving sneakers.

He could use his massive voice to...yanno...actually be a platform for mental health awareness instead of this self aggrandizing bullshit. He doesn't give a poo poo about anyone but himself, it's always been me me me, especially recently.

Yuzenn fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 16, 2018

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I really want to understand what is it about Kanye that makes dudes cape for him so hard. If any other person did the stuff he's done he'd be Bow Wow. Stop idol worshipping another man

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

rememeber when 50 cent didnt sign danny brown because he was a tight pants sadboi then over the next 15 years that lane of rap became worth billions of dollars

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNO5Hhzv1Lo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0ijOe3sGEk

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

GOAT posse cut

t a s t e
Sep 6, 2010

RBX posted:

I really want to understand what is it about Kanye that makes dudes cape for him so hard. If any other person did the stuff he's done he'd be Bow Wow. Stop idol worshipping another man

The line is stop wearing another man's hat

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

post some epic posse tracks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkHI1hGvWRY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHojbi6I_RY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU4OIAYwo5g