Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I'm also in the same boat. Watching biker bros eat it is funny, learning from others mistakes is educational, watching an Asian family on a scooter get sidelined is gore cinema. I suppose it teaches never to drive anywhere other than America, Canada, and Western Europe. Maybe Japan and Australia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I noped out at 15 minutes but really wish I hadn't seen that. I too don't understand why they can't have a snuff free version.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I've never watched them before, was able to watch about 30 minutes. A gore free version would be nice. You start to see patterns like cars not using their signals, entering lanes when they don't see the motorcycle, lowsides/highsides, fishtailing, etc etc

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

mewse posted:

I've never watched them before, was able to watch about 30 minutes. A gore free version would be nice. You start to see patterns like cars not using their signals, entering lanes when they don't see the motorcycle, lowsides/highsides, fishtailing, etc etc

That's called "the Shining", mewse. It's what keeps us alive on the road.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
The other thing that keeps us alive is not bouncing off the rev limiter while negotiating a walking pace turn onto a main road.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
This discussion comes up every time a new video is posted, but yeah, most people don't want to see this kind of helpless gore. There is nothing educational about people getting hit by trucks, mostly because they live and ride in the world, where road rules are optional. And somehow the videos keep getting longer and longer

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Coydog posted:

I noped out at 15 minutes but really wish I hadn't seen that. I too don't understand why they can't have a snuff free version.
Isn't the guy who compiles it Russian? There is no non-snuff in Russia.

expensive jeans
Jun 20, 2003

These videos have taught me to stay the hell away from vehicles like gravel trucks. :stonk:

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'd like it if he didnt intersperse the more comical/non fatal ones with people getting liquidised, maybe have the first hour be non fatal and then give a warning before switching to the hardcore stuff.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

expensive jeans posted:

These videos have taught me to stay the hell away from vehicles like gravel trucks. :stonk:

But also

expensive jeans posted:

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Ever since I watched no prisoners I just put on all my gear and then I get in bed and curl into the fetal position and cry. Haven’t had an accident yet.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

ought ten posted:

Ever since I watched no prisoners I just put on all my gear and then I get in bed and curl into the fetal position and cry. Haven’t had an accident yet.

Same, but I've had two accidents. Thankfully they come out in the wash.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This is unexpected

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_rMaxzMdb0

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Segway are just owned by one of those Chinese companies that buy up US brand names to repackage their stuff, like Polaroid and Kodak, isn't it? Anyway, if it doesn't use the Segway self-balancing stuff to let you do infinite wheelies it's pointless.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Segway are just owned by one of those Chinese companies that buy up US brand names to repackage their stuff, like Polaroid and Kodak, isn't it? Anyway, if it doesn't use the Segway self-balancing stuff to let you do infinite wheelies it's pointless.

poo poo, now I really need to learn how to wheelie manually before it becomes automated and any schmuck can hit 12 o’clock.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Did Segway go the way of schwinn? I didn’t realize

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

At least 5 companies released an e-bike at EICEMA. Given they all looked similar, I’m guessing they are all a generic China OEM.

It makes me wonder how legit the Segway bike is, it doesn’t feel on-brand. Segway were all about bringing transportation to the masses, an electric sports bike isn’t that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Horse Clocks posted:

At least 5 companies released an e-bike at EICEMA. Given they all looked similar, I’m guessing they are all a generic China OEM.

It makes me wonder how legit the Segway bike is, it doesn’t feel on-brand. Segway were all about bringing transportation to the masses, an electric sports bike isn’t that.

An electric UJM would be that, but I think I might be the only person who wants such a thing.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
The wire colors and setup on the motor are very reminiscent of the Lightning Strike, which was outsourced to China for production, so their design may have gotten "borrowed", or more likely they sourced pseudo-generic components from a supplier (like the motor), and once the production line was already set up, suddenly the price per unit drops, and other people are free to swoop in.

But Lightning is also waffling shamelessly on when the gently caress they're actually going to deliver their crap, so the competition can hardly be blamed.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Jan 3, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I can’t wait until ebike economies of scale kick in like all electronics and they get cheaper. Everything is so drat pricey right now.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I can’t wait until ebike economies of scale kick in like all electronics and they get cheaper. Everything is so drat pricey right now.

I don't know if there will be much of a price floor with economies of scale.

I watched a few videos of a youtuber called "the inja" who got an ebike directly from china in a crate and he did a bunch of disassembly on camera and stuff because the seller ripped him off with a smaller motor than spec.

The thing that struck me was how many subsystems it had that were exactly like a regular motorcycle. Just beginning at the front, it still needs a front wheel, disc brake system, hydraulic forks, handlebar controls, gauge cluster, headlight, etc etc etc

Like I don't think swapping the ICE for batteries+an electric motor is going to drop the price significantly versus cheap regular motorcycles

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Right but right now electric bikes are disproportionately expensive compared to gas bikes. Like, I just want them to even out

Also the used market is tiny to the pint of near nonexistence, so it will be nice when that bulls up as well

mewse
May 2, 2006

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Right but right now electric bikes are disproportionately expensive compared to gas bikes. Like, I just want them to even out

Also the used market is tiny to the pint of near nonexistence, so it will be nice when that bulls up as well

:agreed:

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I want motorcycles to skip the entire electric thing and jump to hydrogen.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Supradog posted:

This seems like the only way to avoid every bike doubling in weight so yeah I'm all for it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Supradog posted:

same but direct methanol fuel cells.

alcohol (any liquid fuel, really) is an order of magnitude more energy-dense than hydrogen and you can store it in a regular fuel tank.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Do batteries even need to be that heavy? I'd probably be fine with one that only does 50 miles, it's rare I do more than that in a day.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

same but direct methanol fuel cells.

alcohol (any liquid fuel, really) is an order of magnitude more energy-dense than hydrogen and you can store it in a regular fuel tank.

Yeah, having a tank full of flammable fuel between my legs is dicey enough, I really don't want an (Italian-built!) several-hundred-PSI cryogenic tank full of flammable liquid nestling my fun zone.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I'm picturing a red mid 90s faired Aprilia where the entire area above the rear wheel is a rearward facing blast parabola of grayish concrete colour. As you accelerate away from the former red light you see the greenish light of your astroburn shockflare reflect in the mirror surfaces of the skyscrapers around.

I can't wait to see what the next propulsion techs gives us of pure ego bikes.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Renaissance Robot posted:

Do batteries even need to be that heavy? I'd probably be fine with one that only does 50 miles, it's rare I do more than that in a day.

Batteries are getting lighter. But also capacitors and motors are getting better, so we'll be able to manage what power we get with more efficiency.

I'll be perfectly fine with 120 miles of range, if charging stations can refill under 30 min.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Batteries are getting lighter. But also capacitors and motors are getting better, so we'll be able to manage what power we get with more efficiency.

I'll be perfectly fine with 120 miles of range, if charging stations can refill under 30 min.

I'll be perfectly fine with the above in a bike that weighs less than 200kg.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Someone needs to make universal batteries that snap in and out like we have in power tools. Your bike takes maybe 5 of them, your car takes 20, your truck, 40

You just swap them out at gas stations for fresh ones.

Like propane tanks

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, having a tank full of flammable fuel between my legs is dicey enough, I really don't want an (Italian-built!) several-hundred-PSI cryogenic tank full of flammable liquid nestling my fun zone.

I'm picturing whatever gen R6 it was that had a tendency to blow up when the fuel tanks cracked during a high side.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

MetaJew posted:

I'm picturing whatever gen R6 it was that had a tendency to blow up when the fuel tanks cracked during a high side.

That's every bike ever made, it depends on the highside.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Is this really slow? I mean, it seems like it to me. It has a speedo shot of 81kph, which is pit lane speed... I saw a video of Nico Rosberg on an Energica something, and it looked way more exciting.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

I didn’t notice the speedo but he really doesn’t look like he’s riding it very hard at all. Moseying around the track for a promo video.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Slavvy posted:

That's every bike ever made, it depends on the highside.

:shrug: I guess I've only ever seen tank sliders marketed for the R6-- and never looked for such a product for my SV.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

MetaJew posted:

:shrug: I guess I've only ever seen tank sliders marketed for the R6-- and never looked for such a product for my SV.

I guess it's more of a risk on modern bikes because frames have got slimmer and tanks often have more of a mushroom shape to account for it. The Shiver has sliders built into their tanks which are particularly wide at the top (actually a good design for weather protection), and it's a little weird the idea hasn't extended to other bikes (including the rest of Aprilia's range).

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

On the other hand a bunch of modern bikes have a square fuel cell just behind the airbox which is shielded by bodywork and the frame from every direction.

Anyway this isn't worth caring about, it's like buying a car based on how lenticular the windows are because you're worried about burning your house down by parking funny on a sunny day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

Dakar! https://youtu.be/0FqadeWIuAA

This year it’s in Saudi Arabia so by reading this post you are helping sportswash a regime with a pretty bad humanitarian record. Also, we might invade Iran so...

Anyway, I still love the race itself and by acknowledging the sportswashing I think we’re all now morally absolved of any participation in it. Right?

This year, there are two legit american threats to win (although neither are favorites). Here’s a good run down. https://www.advpulse.com/adv-news/dakar-rally-2020-predictions/

Brabec had a good shot at winning last year and then his bike just stopped. Which, I guess, is better than the year before?

Andrew Short used to race motocross and is by all accounts a standup dude who just loves riding very fast.

Toby Price is definitely still the favorite though and this is worth watching. He’s broken basically everything and won last year with one wrist. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ECcGSo28dmk

But who should you be rooting for? The Frenchmen on Yamahas.

Because every time they see a helicopter they give a little extra for the folks at home.

There’s Adrien Van Beveren

And Xavier de Soultrait

Completely unrelated, they crash out a lot.

If you want to obsess, this is the best page for results. http://trackingdakar.com/en/stage-1/bikes/waypoints/

You can look at the official Dakar YouTube channel and Redbull is supposed to have decent coverage this year, otherwise I’ll probably post some more pictures every few days because I like it a lot.

But the most important thing to remember?

loving kamaz. (3m12s in) https://youtu.be/3NP41lLs9ZQ