Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
Someone pointed out that there's a moth above the servants quarters bonfire now. I've seen a few more since, one above Gilligan and another above Demon of Song, and another one near the entrance to undead crypt. I wonder if they do anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

You kill them for their sweet loot, such as 1 amber herb.

Others I've found include high up on the side of the wall on the opposite side of cromwell's ladder in tseldora, and two high up on walls in the main area of shaded woods. I've also found an invisible one in the gutter, in the "room" just before the jump toward a bunch of poison statues.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 20, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

fennesz posted:

So, Sunken King. A giant cavern filled with monsters that have magic ranged attacks, boss level HP and a jump move that breaks lock on. Haha yep, I think I'm going to just stick with the main game from here on out. I'm really surprised that From keeps resorting to really weird forms of artificial difficulty.

actually theyre not that hard and are fun

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Control Volume posted:

actually theyre not that hard and are fun

If he's talking about the dragon asses like I'm assuming then they aren't hard but they also aren't fun.

Get Innocuous!
Dec 6, 2011

come together
Just run past them?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
yeah they can be run past pretty easily

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
the gauntlet before the blue smelter demon and then the fight with the blue smelter demon itself is pretty annoying

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

yeah they can be run past pretty easily

Right, I could do this with everything in the game. But the first time I do an area I clear it of bad dudes because I want to explore it and see what it has to offer. I shouldn't say the dragon butts are difficult per se, they're just not fun. I've noticed a lot of that happening in the few bits of DLC I've played thus far. A lot of really tedious portions that just aren't fun. Gank-y enemies/bosses, HP sponge enemies that are repetitive and obnoxious. It's just made me really uninterested in the game even though I probably did three full playthroughs of DS1 back to back before I got sick of it. Even then I would periodically run through another character using a different build. DS2 has a lot of great areas but I've only seen one of them in the DLCs thus far and the rest just feels really lazy. (The portion I really liked were the invincible crypt guardians that you had to keep running past in order to make them vulnerable)

Coupled with the really imbalanced PvP it's just not holding my attention at all.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

The "invincible" guardians are actually only immune to physical damage. You can whittle them down if necessary with elemental damage.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

There's also all of like four or five of them and a bonfire right nearby, it's not a big deal.

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
Made some good progress over the weekend to beat both Dragonrider bosses and clear out most of Lost Bastille, No Man's Wharf and Huntsman's Copse except for the bosses. I'm loving my Craftman's Hammer! Here's my current stat allocation:

I'm going to continue putting levels into STR, VIT (29 right?), VGR and ADP (until AGL is 100) but I think I'd like to add some spell capabilities to my character. Any general build advice or advice on how to add some spell casting?

Thanks

P.S. If anyone is wondering I'm playing vanilla Dark Souls 2 with all the DLC on a PC with a controller.

Rhaegar fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Apr 20, 2015

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
K

Rhaegar posted:

Made some good progress over the weekend to beat both Dragonrider bosses and clear out most of Lost Bastille, No Man's Wharf and Huntsman's Copse except for the bosses. I'm loving my craftman's hammer! Here's my current stat allocation:

I'm going to continue putting levels into STR, VIT (29 right?), VGR and ADP (until AGL is 100) but I think I'd like to add some spell capabilities to my character. Any general build advice or advice on how to add some spell casting?

Thanks

P.S. If anyone is wondering I'm playing vanilla Dark Souls 2 with all the DLC on a PC with a controller.

Keep in mind attunement will also raise agility. Besides that it's up to you. You could forgo putting points in intelligence or faith at all and just use pyromancy; faith is good for utility but less so for combat, sorcery is kinda boring but you only need to level INT, and then hexes, while nerfed, are pretty chill. They're all viable - what do you want?

Filthy Monkey
Jun 25, 2007

Vil posted:

Alternatively just skip all that bullshit and shoot the switch from a different angle. Go to where the bridge will be:
Thanks for this! Worked like a charm. I just got my minotaur repaired up and ready to go!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Doesn't Pyromancy scale with int/faith in DS2, unlike DS1?

Rhaegar
Jul 16, 2006
I'm thinking about Pyromancy or Hexes.

Guess I just need to pick one of INT or FTH and level that?

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

victrix posted:

Doesn't Pyromancy scale with int/faith in DS2, unlike DS1?

It does, but I've always understood that the scaling is minimal. All of the real damage modification to pyromancies comes from upgrading your pyromancy flame.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Rhaegar posted:

Neither for pyromancy, both for hexes.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

NeurosisHead posted:

It does, but I've always understood that the scaling is minimal. All of the real damage modification to pyromancies comes from upgrading your pyromancy flame.

It scales with the average of the two, and the boost is significant, but not necessary, since you do get more form upgrading it. Having 30 Int/Fth as compared to base gives ~50% extra damage.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Rhaegar posted:

Hexes scales off the lower of the two stats, so 99 INT/1 FTH is the same damage as 1 INT/1 FTH. If you want to use hexes, you should keep them about equal.

Pyro doesn't care which you level, though. 99/1 gives you the same damage as 50/50 or 20/80 etc. You can also opt to not level INT/FTH at all, since Pyro spells all have 0 stat requirements. The damage will obviously be worse, but it's still surprisingly strong.

Vil posted:

The "invincible" guardians are actually only immune to physical damage. You can whittle them down if necessary with elemental damage.

They're technically vulnerable but their resistance is huge. I co-oped in that area with a host who was trying to soul arrow one of those guys to death; it took forever.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

They're technically vulnerable but their resistance is huge. I co-oped in that area with a host who was trying to soul arrow one of those guys to death; it took forever.

True. I whittled one down with good old Fire Longsword once. It was not a fast process, by any stretch.

BAILOUT MCQUACK!
Nov 14, 2005

Marco! Yeaaah...
Was the frame rate durability bug ever patched?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

The next patch notes say something about fixing it. Also the controller bug where some controllers had a hard time to do guard breaks/jump attacks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

There's a mod that fixes it, although it may or may not get your account banned.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

There's a mod that fixes it, although it may or may not get your account banned.

It won't. From cares about Soul Memory/Soul Level mismatch and basically not much else.

(This sort of fear is another reason why the softban system is dumb as hell.)

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

BAILOUT MCQUACK! posted:

Yep!

The console versions of SOTFS are now in sync with the PC version, and now lose durability at the actual rate they were intended to.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Do the consoles run at 60 FPS now?

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Tallgeese posted:

Do the consoles run at 60 FPS now?

PS4 and Xbone do; the last generation can get hosed. The old consoles don't get any of the new content either, PS3/x360 SotFS is just old DS2 + DLC.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

The Iron Rose posted:

Yep!

The console versions of SOTFS are now in sync with the PC version, and now lose durability at the actual rate they were intended to.

laugh@you

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Huh. Well that's a reversal then, last I heard From was saying it's intended behaviour.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business
Not to restate any facts or claim to be the standard, only sharing a personal experience: The day I tried out a katana (a crappy one), was the day I won my first fight club on the bridge and had a first good streak in arena, this is with no major change in casual dodge-swing pvp playstyle.

Just sayin!

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I feel like making a muscle wizard, what are cool strength weapons that benefit from INT/can also cast spells?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Chard posted:

I feel like making a muscle wizard, what are cool strength weapons that benefit from INT/can also cast spells?

I don't think there really are any. Weapons tend to be all or nothing str/dex or int/faith, especially if you infuse them. There's only one weapon that casts sorceries and it's very, very int scaling. Dragonrider Halberd and Crescent Axe might work if you're desperate to pull it off. They're B/C/C scaling.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 21, 2015

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Dr. Video Games 0112 posted:

Not to restate any facts or claim to be the standard, only sharing a personal experience: The day I tried out a katana (a crappy one), was the day I won my first fight club on the bridge and had a first good streak in arena, this is with no major change in casual dodge-swing pvp playstyle.

Just sayin!

if youre willing to make a playstyle change into just being ridiculously good at spacing, pate's spear will make almost every katana user cry

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Chard posted:

Nothing quite like that. If you want muscle wizard just infuse your favorite strength weapon with magic (and buff it with magic weapon/great magic weapon) and use a staff.

Crystal Golem Lance also has pretty good str and int scaling without infusion, if you want a weapon that scales with both without infusion.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

Huh. Well that's a reversal then, last I heard From was saying it's intended behaviour.

That's not the same thing - the durability decreasing faster seems to be intended (they supposedly patched it in in the 60fps versions), but the durability decreasing faster when hitting corpses is not. The latter is what they're fixing.

I think the idea is you use bonfires + 3 weapon slots and manage durability, but you shouldn't have your weapons explode after one big aoe fight.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

victrix posted:

That's not the same thing - the durability decreasing faster seems to be intended (they supposedly patched it in in the 60fps versions), but the durability decreasing faster when hitting corpses is not. The latter is what they're fixing.

I think the idea is you use bonfires + 3 weapon slots and manage durability, but you shouldn't have your weapons explode after one big aoe fight.

From what little I've played of the new version, I'm pretty sure normal durability damage (i.e. when not striking a corpse or an ally) is the same as in the original version. So I don't think they did anything to affect durability at all yet.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

dis astranagant posted:

There's only one weapon that casts sorceries

The DLCs added two more: the Pilgrim's Spontoon and the Sorceror's Twinblade.

e: Shulva is apparently the worst place to invade, ever. I used like 10 red eye orbs and I got a grand total of 1 guy who didn't try to play hide-and-seek or run to the bonfire to summon buddies.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 21, 2015

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The DLCs added two more: the Pilgrim's Spontoon and the Sorceror's Twinblade.

Oh yeah. The twinblade seemed really weak when I tried it and I never got around to going back for the spontoon.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

This sounds gross

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

victrix posted:

Yay? We're both right then? I think?