Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The jokes are bad, but the absolute worst part of BL3's writing was when it was trying to be dramatic. I assume the new spin-off avoids this by being a silly dice game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It’s not a shooter, but the Telltale borderlands game hits a nice balance with the tone and humor imo

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
It is simultaneously the best Telltale game and the best Borderlands game. Which is quite the achievement for a licensed spinoff title.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

I had no idea the borderlands games had split screen coop somehow :psyduck: does it have it on PC as well?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

hand-fed baby bird posted:

Are you confusing it with Hard West? I know I did.

And also Blood West, another one in early access (that I very much hope turns out to be good)

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Randalor posted:

In Elden Ring, I found a spell that basically gives me a magical drill. Dunno how good the spell is, I just like that I have what amounts to a rock drill in a fantasy game.

There are also two different swords that have a drill effect. You could have a drill-themed build. Druild.

haveblue posted:

I found an enemy yesterday that could guard counter and I was all "oh you :allears:"

There are dudes later on who can parry/riposte you which is almost always a 1-shot. I won’t say where so as not to ruin the surprise but the minute I heard that “thunk” noise, I think I said “oh no” outloud.

Frank Frank has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Apr 1, 2022

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Frank Frank posted:

There are also two different swords that have a drill effect. You could have a drill-themed build. Druild.

And the circular saw.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Frank Frank posted:

There are dudes later on who can parry/riposte you which is almost always a 1-shot. I won’t say where so as not to ruin the surprise but the minute I heard that “thunk” noise, I think I said “oh no” outloud.

It's pretty bullshit when they do because they can do it at will, against the middle of a combo or against the first hit in it, doesn't matter. Whenever I find those enemies I just do jump attacks constantly because anything else is just waiting for the rng to decide to kill you.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Morpheus posted:

It's pretty bullshit when they do because they can do it at will, against the middle of a combo or against the first hit in it, doesn't matter. Whenever I find those enemies I just do jump attacks constantly because anything else is just waiting for the rng to decide to kill you.

Can’t parry whips. Dual thorned whips eat them alive and deal a surprising amount of poise damage - to the point where they’re constantly staggered so long as you have the stamina to keep hitting them. The whips are also surprisingly good against Malenia

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Morpheus posted:

Can't parry magical rocks to the face! ... I hope.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Randalor posted:

Can't parry magical rocks to the face! ... I hope.

It would actually be loving awesome if you could parry magic spells like when you could parry the Guardian lasers in Breath of the Wild

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

thecluckmeme posted:

It would actually be loving awesome if you could parry magic spells like when you could parry the Guardian lasers in Breath of the Wild

There’s a shield ash that lets you parry magic. Dunno how well it works, but it’s a thing!

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Dewgy posted:

There’s a shield ash that lets you parry magic. Dunno how well it works, but it’s a thing!

There's one that negates spells and one that negates and forms glintblades that shoot back at the attacker.

It is super powerful actually (not sure it can deflect rocks though)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Everything about borderlands is Nostalgia Critic humor. Worst kind of comedy, grown adults making 9 year old kid's joke complete with signposting.

Objectively bad taste. Rob Schneider is leagues above this.

Vic has a new favorite as of 03:31 on Apr 2, 2022

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

The Bee posted:

It is simultaneously the best Telltale game and the best Borderlands game. Which is quite the achievement for a licensed spinoff title.

Something works weirdly well about it being basically a genre collision of the looter shooter setting seen from the perspective of adventure game protagonists.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

The Bee posted:

Agreed.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Something works weirdly well about it being basically a genre collision of the looter shooter setting seen from the perspective of adventure game protagonists.

For mostly this reason.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I'm enjoying with Nioh that wasn't really clear earlier in the game is that even when some of the missions are throwing difficult Yokai at you, even though the human enemies don't get many upgrades they make up for it with strategy. The humans in the Ship Graveyard in the second map aren't any harder to fight one-on-one, but they now have a guy on the nearby ships firing cannons at you. The yokai fight harder, but the humans fight smarter, which keeps you on your toes. My last completed mission was the side mission where you fight the Flying Cloth in the graveyard level, which was a cool area. I also like that some enemies get full miniboss treatment and you can tell when you are in trouble because they get unique music. The Tengus and the Flying Cloths get that mini-boss music, showing you're about to get wrecked.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Vic posted:

Everything about borderlands is Nostalgia Critic humor. Worst kind of comedy, grown adults making 9 year old kid's joke complete with signposting.

Come now, Borderlands doesn't have the comedic masterpiece that is Melvin, Brother of the Joker

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

hand-fed baby bird posted:

Are you confusing it with Hard West? I know I did.

There are so many games with absolute teflon titles. Hardspace Shipbreaker, Infraspace, etc

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Philippe posted:

There are so many games with absolute teflon titles. Hardspace Shipbreaker, Infraspace, etc

At least those games didn't just steal the name of a genre for themselves like Weird West did.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
'weird west' was a genre?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

thecluckmeme posted:

You literally can*

(*requires a special shield/ash of war)

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

flatluigi posted:

'weird west' was a genre?

Not a genre of games but a story genre much like urban fantasy, paranormal romance etc. Basically means monsters and magic in a Wild West setting. It's basically like naming a game Robinssonade, Spy Fiction or Saga etc.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Hel posted:

Not a genre of games but a story genre much like urban fantasy, paranormal romance etc. Basically means monsters and magic in a Wild West setting. It's basically like naming a game Robinssonade, Spy Fiction or Saga etc.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
saga is not only a game but an entire series

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Edit :

flatluigi posted:

saga is not only a game but an entire series

It's SaGa and iirc none of the games are actually just Saga It's always Romancing or Unlimited etc.

Hel has a new favorite as of 20:27 on Apr 2, 2022

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think they may have been making a joke/point by specifically using genres that were already titles?

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Hahahaha thats a very funny rebuttal

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in cyberpunk 2077, hitting the brakes on a motorcycle at high speed will automatically make it go into an Akira slide

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Hel posted:

Edit :

It's SaGa and iirc none of the games are actually just Saga It's always Romancing or Unlimited etc.

The original series on the Gameboy were just SaGa.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I've been posting about Sekiro in the other thread because of some boss/miniboss fights (just got wrecked by Genichiro for the first time since the intro), but one thing I love is the little ready-up move Wolf does during cutscenes with his sword, where he tilts the scabbard forward, usually with a one-liner like "This won't take long." The little click noise of the blade being loosened is so satisfying, and it makes you think you're about to see Wolf do Some Sweet Samurai poo poo (tm). However, I'm not very good at the game, so it doesn't usually play out that way.

It gets me psyched up every time, though.

Fifty Farts has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Apr 3, 2022

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
It is funnier if you imagine Wolf doing his cool samurai intro, and then he immediately gets clowned on.

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

He didn't specify what would take long. I like the thought of Sekiro thinking "aw man lady butterfly is going to loving murder me"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Check this poo poo out motherfucker [I click my blade out from my scabbard and get immediately killed by a headless, its not clear what kind of move I was trying to do]

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Ahh, the DMC conundrum strikes again, a true paradox for us shitters.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

Opopanax posted:

Check this poo poo out motherfucker [I click my blade out from my scabbard and get immediately killed by a headless, its not clear what kind of move I was trying to do]

dril motorcycle tweet

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Philippe posted:

It is funnier if you imagine Wolf doing his cool samurai intro, and then he immediately gets clowned on.

Given what the devs of these games clearly go for, I can't imagine this isn't on purpose.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Philippe posted:

That's literally the inciting incident of the game.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
That's true! I forgot about the cool opening fight. I wish there was a reward for beating it (like a hard mode where your arm doesn't get chopped off and you don't get prosthesis weapons).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Philippe posted:

That's true! I forgot about the cool opening fight. I wish there was a reward for beating it (like a hard mode where your arm doesn't get chopped off and you don't get prosthesis weapons).

Your reward is a different cutscene where Genichiro mocks you harder