Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

Has anyone ever simultaneously met Rich Burlew and George RR Martin? Have they ever been photographed together??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

oobey posted:

Has anyone ever simultaneously met Rich Burlew and George RR Martin? Have they ever been photographed together??

I was at a convention with both of them and now that you mention it, there were moments when Martin would say, "Rich Burlew? He's in this room! Let me go get him!" and then he'd head in and we'd hear Rich from behind a closed door.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I've met Rich but have not met GRRM so inconclusive

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.
Rich status: OK

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Blackwing continues to be the best character.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Thread status: Getting better now.

Blackwing's the best.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Ooh, there's a scorch mark on the destination of the trap as well. I thought that there was only going to be half a scorch mark from Team Evil's view, and that would tip them off.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Ooh, there's a scorch mark on the destination of the trap as well. I thought that there was only going to be half a scorch mark from Team Evil's view, and that would tip them off.

There is only half a scorch mark - see Blackwing's POV on the 2nd page, 3rd panel.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Blackwing owns so very much.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

I bet Oona notices the half scorch mark on the way out.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

mmkay posted:

There is only half a scorch mark - see Blackwing's POV on the 2nd page, 3rd panel.

Looks like there's an art mistake somewhere, then, because in a panel lower down, there's a scorch mark on Blackwing's side.

Compare:

and

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Looks like there's an art mistake somewhere, then, because in a panel lower down, there's a scorch mark on Blackwing's side.

Compare:

and

Nope that's consistent with the teleportation mechanics. Roy is staring into a dead-end hallway, where no poof happened, thus no scorch mark. Blackwing entered from the original entrance where the poof happened. Blackwing and Roy are in the original physical hallway (where poof is that left marks); while the areas Xykon is (and where BW entered) has no mark.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Raenir Salazar posted:

Nope that's consistent with the teleportation mechanics. Roy is staring into a dead-end hallway, where no poof happened, thus no scorch mark. Blackwing entered from the original entrance where the poof happened. Blackwing and Roy are in the original physical hallway (where poof is that left marks); while the areas Xykon is (and where BW entered) has no mark.

I think in the second picture there should be no mark at all - since we see Blackwing, his half should be clear.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No wonder Rich took so long, this poo poo is complicated

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Well maybe Rich will clarify.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Thank Christ, this thread was getting dire

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Who What Now posted:

Thank Christ, this thread was getting dire

I dire thread is 2 size categories larger and has 6 more HD than a regular thread. It gains the improved derail feat and is immune to all forms of attack besides a new comic

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > BSS: Batman's Scrappy Sidekick > The Order of the Stick: Thank Christ, this thread was getting dire

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

ikanreed posted:

I dire thread is 2 size categories larger and has 6 more HD than a regular thread. It gains the improved derail feat and is immune to all forms of attack besides a new comic
You can also cast Summon Greater Mod, but the results of that on the thread are unreliable and can range from 'nothing' to 'paralysis lasting 1d4 days' to 'cloudkill, no saving throw'

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
Yeah, this thread was starting to look less like D&D and more like D&D

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

shirts and skins posted:

Yeah, this thread was starting to look less like D&D and more like D&D
I was getting hiatus flashbacks.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Huh, neat.

So anyways, in my personal favorite Star Wars EU story, The Red One,

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

So anyways, in my personal favorite Order of the Stick EU story, The Red Right-Eye,

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

It's good to see the party getting right down to exploring the mechanics of all the questions we were asking after the last page.

I guess these portals aren't just doing door-swapping shenanigans, but that there's a whole second layer of dungeons after the initial teleport trap. That, or the Order happened to stumble upon the correct dungeon. If that were the case, though, it seems kind of insecure to put it on the bottom floor.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Man, what if they start exploring the dungeon? Are we going to get dungeon crawling shenanigans once more?

Probably not. But it would be fun.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Huh, neat.

So anyways, in my personal favorite Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds song, Red Right Hand,

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Epic-tier rogue trick. If you go to the tomb of a mighty warrior, expecting mighty fights, you'll find them... but not the gate you are looking for.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

That, or the Order happened to stumble upon the correct dungeon. If that were the case, though, it seems kind of insecure to put it on the bottom floor.

I'd guess all the doors are "the correct dungeon" if you get past the trap.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

sfwarlock posted:

It could be... but if getting past ANY trap gets you to the gate, that would seem to be pretty risky. Especially because it's not clear how difficult it is to spot.

Haley spotted the trap. She's high level, but isn't Epic-level, and may not have her Search skill maxed out.

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah

sfwarlock posted:

If you disable the trap, every dungeon has to be a different one too, no? Because you're in "the actual physical tunnel that's connected to that door", as Roy says. And that obviously has to be different for every door (unless there's some space bullshit). Maybe they all consolidate into one, but that seems to easy. My first instinct was that there's a separate dungeon for every trapped and non-trapped door, i.e. two for every door. (all the trapped ones have to be different ones too, else you'd notice if you walk into one you've already cleared out)

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
The fact that V was able to scry out what the trap did makes me wonder if Xykon figured this out ages ago and is just stringing things along for some free xp.

Or is that something you would only be able to do if the trap is detected first?

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 22, 2021

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Xykon's not really a guy who would think to check for traps or poo poo, and even then he's more "There's a magic thing here, who cares which kind of magic it is. I'll just throw a random (hob)goblin into it to see if something bad happens."

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think mechanically, it would be impossible for Xykon or any of his entourage to find a high level trap since none of them are rogues, and in 3.5e being able to search for traps is a rogue class feature. You could cast Detect Traps but you'd need a tonne of cross-class skill ranks to have a chance of finding a complex trap even then. So it's not just "hasn't spotted it", they mechanically can't spot it, and as such have no idea there's anything there to Detect Magic on.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Ocean of Milk posted:

If you disable the trap, every dungeon has to be a different one too, no? Because you're in "the actual physical tunnel that's connected to that door", as Roy says. And that obviously has to be different for every door (unless there's some space bullshit). Maybe they all consolidate into one, but that seems to easy. My first instinct was that there's a separate dungeon for every trapped and non-trapped door, i.e. two for every door. (all the trapped ones have to be different ones too, else you'd notice if you walk into one you've already cleared out)

The physical proximity of the doors makes different dungeons unlikely(I'll allow 1 dimensional hallway dungeons)

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
Blackwing is the best.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Android Blues posted:

I think mechanically, it would be impossible for Xykon or any of his entourage to find a high level trap since none of them are rogues, and in 3.5e being able to search for traps is a rogue class feature. You could cast Detect Traps but you'd need a tonne of cross-class skill ranks to have a chance of finding a complex trap even then. So it's not just "hasn't spotted it", they mechanically can't spot it, and as such have no idea there's anything there to Detect Magic on.

Good think he isn't a wizard or cared enough to acquire wizard scrolls, since IIRC casting Permanency -> Detect Magic / Arcane Sight was super cheap and a very effective use of XP in 3.5.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The Detect Traps spell and search ranks wouldn't help in this scenario, only a rogue can detect magical traps, and I'm fairly confident in saying this is one.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Also this is fun because even seeing the trap doesn't help you, only actually disarming it somehow would get you past.

They might have been able to find a rogue eventually, I assume, but that would be its own issue.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
I'm not sure Xykon even has Detect Magic. Does he?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd assume that there'd be multiple levels of protection further down, but getting past the trap is definitely step 1. Girad had a number of defenses even after the whole clan died and couldn't keep sustaining their spells.

I don't know what kind of trap you'd follow up the first one with though. There's probably gonna be some more "normal" dungeoncrawling, but I don't know what other kind of trap you'd follow that up with.