Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Multiverses and time travel actually go way back in Pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I liked the fact that there was more MGSV gameplay in Survive but I eventually bailed at the basebuilding aspects, it took the already-annoying menu design from the first game and made it more complex in a way I didn't feel like dealing with. But the game seemed better than I would've been expected for that kind of spinoff.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Philippe posted:

I don't hate MG Survive, but BOY is it a departure.

Pretty much as far a departure as all the other spinoffs like Acid and Rising.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

It puts a big goofy grin on my face that Hideo Kojima left Konami and made a stupid as gently caress Kojima game, had it do some awesome numbers, and now he's doing a victory lap with a Director's Edition or whatever the hell it is. It's like Kojima has been throwing up two middle fingers while circling Konami on a unicycle while wearing clown makeup.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

thecluckmeme posted:

It puts a big goofy grin on my face that Hideo Kojima left Konami and made a stupid as gently caress Kojima game, had it do some awesome numbers, and now he's doing a victory lap with a Director's Edition or whatever the hell it is. It's like Kojima has been throwing up two middle fingers while circling Konami on a unicycle while wearing clown makeup.

The thing I really like about Death Stranding* is the sheer joy of discovery you can see from both Kojima and Shinkawa (the lead designer). Working in a new IP, able to design and write without constriction and consideration for previous entries, brings out their best aspects as creators. They made a unique game and it's so clear that they had an absolute blast doing it.

*) One of a myriad things, DS is basically my favorite game ever

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

E: doublepost

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Philippe posted:

The thing I really like about Death Stranding* is the sheer joy of discovery you can see from both Kojima and Shinkawa (the lead designer). Working in a new IP, able to design and write without constriction and consideration for previous entries, brings out their best aspects as creators. They made a unique game and it's so clear that they had an absolute blast doing it.

*) One of a myriad things, DS is basically my favorite game ever

I just got to a mission in Death Stranding: Director's Cut where Sam gets in a terrorist base, and spies a cardboard box....

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

JPrime posted:

I just got to a mission in Death Stranding: Director's Cut where Sam gets in a terrorist base, and spies a cardboard box....

I'm playing the Director's Cut right now, and I'm looking forward to all the new stuff! I haven't even gotten to South Knot yet.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
I love that the big jar guy you make friends with in Elden Ring takes battle damage over time. He’s pristine at the beginning but by the end of his quest line, he’s all beat-up, cracked and chipped. Totally unnecessary detail but it was neat when I noticed it earlier today.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Frank Frank posted:

I love that the big jar guy you make friends with in Elden Ring takes battle damage over time. He’s pristine at the beginning but by the end of his quest line, he’s all beat-up, cracked and chipped. Totally unnecessary detail but it was neat when I noticed it earlier today.

Did you talk with him after the Radahn fight? There's some lore there too!

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Waste of Breath posted:

Did you talk with him after the Radahn fight? There's some lore there too!

Yup. Disgusting, disgusting lore

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Weird how ol' Iron Fist starts out talking about being a vessel for the ashes of past heroes, but by the end he's straight up stuffing fresh corpses into himself

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Manager Hoyden posted:

Weird how ol' Iron Fist starts out talking about being a vessel for the ashes of past heroes, but by the end he's straight up stuffing fresh corpses into himself

I prefer to think that’s what he meant all along. One mental image is just prettier than the other so he’s speaking euphemistically.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Alexander believes that everyone is a hero in their own way because he has a pure heart (among a bunch of other hearts just kinda rattling around in there).

Montague Tigg
Mar 23, 2008

Previously, on "Ronnie Likes Data":

Frank Frank posted:

Yup. Disgusting, disgusting lore

1 Radahn 1 jar

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

Crowetron posted:

Alexander believes that everyone is a hero in their own way because he has a pure heart (among a bunch of other hearts just kinda rattling around in there).

I bet he’d get along famously with the creepy lady in Volcano Manor. Whatever you do, don’t go back into the basement after you fight Rykard. Bleargh

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Frank Frank posted:

I prefer to think that’s what he meant all along. One mental image is just prettier than the other so he’s speaking euphemistically.

I mean, strictly speaking, given enough time everything is reduced to dust, which are LIKE ashes. So on a grand scale, a corpse and ashes are basically the same thing!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Frank Frank posted:

I bet he’d get along famously with the creepy lady in Volcano Manor. Whatever you do, don’t go back into the basement after you fight Rykard. Bleargh

Not sure if you're aware but if you do that you can attack her and then her bodyguard shows up. If you defeat him you get her outfit. Also, you know, you kill her to stop her from being gross like that.

Edit: One thing I like about Elden Ring is that they made the quests a little bit more flexible than previous Soulsborne games where you miss one step and stuff gets completely locked out for your current playthrough. Like I was able to complete the Ranni quest despite apparently missing a huge chunk of the middle but because I did the major beats I got to the end of it.

muscles like this! has a new favorite as of 03:28 on Apr 6, 2022

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
You also get a spell for killing the crucible knight bodyguardbut my shock when I found her and discovered what she was doing was one of those “wha…Oh god no what the gently caress” moments

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

muscles like this! posted:

Edit: One thing I like about Elden Ring is that they made the quests a little bit more flexible than previous Soulsborne games where you miss one step and stuff gets completely locked out for your current playthrough. Like I was able to complete the Ranni quest despite apparently missing a huge chunk of the middle but because I did the major beats I got to the end of it.

Previous games have had slight degrees of flexibility, it's just that because everything is so opaque it's impossible to know if you missed an optional bit (like early encounters with Patches in DS1 and 3) or completely hosed yourself over.

Which I guess leads me to wonder if ER simply has more fluff in-between major quest stages or if they intentionally programmed some kind of leeway into things.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Frank Frank posted:

You also get a spell for killing the crucible knight bodyguardbut my shock when I found her and discovered what she was doing was one of those “wha…Oh god no what the gently caress” moments

She's making pretty good progress, so I just left her down there. I'm sure it's fine.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something fun with Tales of Zestiria which I picked up recently is how chill the magical person who's power all the mystic stuff hinges on is about it. A lot of the pomp is just there for flavour and if needed she can skip most of it and just cut to the important bits.

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored
Another crazy fun detail I picked up on yesterday at the end of Elden Ring. When you fight Gideon Ofnir, the spell pool he has to pull from against you is directly tied to the bosses you beat and told him about. Ex: If you kill Malenia and tell him about it, he'll have that big rot flower move when you fight him but won't otherwise. Homeboy does his homework.

Likewise, prior to fighting the Mimic Tear, you can simply remove all of your gear before it spawns and then let an ash summon solo it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Frank Frank posted:

Another crazy fun detail I picked up on yesterday at the end of Elden Ring. When you fight Gideon Ofnir, the spell pool he has to pull from against you is directly tied to the bosses you beat and told him about. Ex: If you kill Malenia and tell him about it, he'll have that big rot flower move when you fight him but won't otherwise. Homeboy does his homework.

Likewise, prior to fighting the Mimic Tear, you can simply remove all of your gear before it spawns and then let an ash summon solo it.

Wait, so if you ghost Gideon the whole game, he won't know most of the spells he'd otherwise have in the end game?

Frank Frank
Jun 13, 2001

Mirrored

marshmallow creep posted:

Wait, so if you ghost Gideon the whole game, he won't know most of the spells he'd otherwise have in the end game?

He’ll still know spells, just not the boss spells like Melania’s rot flower and Mohg’s blood fire etc. It also explains what Gideon is really doing while you’re running around killing things the whole game. He’s gearing up to kill YOU

JPrime
Jul 4, 2007

tales of derring-do, bad and good luck tales!
College Slice

Philippe posted:

I'm playing the Director's Cut right now, and I'm looking forward to all the new stuff! I haven't even gotten to South Knot yet.

don't sleep on that jump ramp thing it fuckin rocks

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I liked the lead up to Calid from Limgrave

You start out in the green and sometimes marshy forests of Limgrave but as you go further East you notice that the surroundings are getting a little… drier. You see on your left a chapel that appears to have been burned down just recently; you can still see the embers radiating from the stone. Walking up a hill, at it’s crest is a stone wall, appearing to be hastily put together but more curiously the stones are warm. Passing the wall, you see now what exactly that wall is keeping in; red rot, as far as the eye can see. Rotted, mutated crows and dogs litter the desolate landscape.

The burning stone wall and another little scene you see as you travel south of Calid also clues you into the weaknesses of the local monster population: near the Gael Tunnel you see a Rhadan Soldier and some miners engaging one of the mutated T-Rex dogs. The solider’s greatsword does jack poo poo against the dog and is swiftly devoured. The miners, even with their stone skin, fare little better. But one of them has a lantern and the fire attacks does the most damage to the monster. So now you know that fire is going to be your best bet for survival in Calid.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something that I'm appreciating with Tales of Zestiria is that it shows the other side of the situation, like showing how scary the power of the Shepherd is to those who can't perceive seraphim, and having the main character have to make compromises to prevent worse outcomes (like forcing him into an international conflict that he shouldn't have any part in as a Shepherd taking part in a war is a recipe for a huge mess, but if he doesn't a friend will be killed which will likely piss him off enough to cause him to become corrupt, and a malevolent Shepherd is a hundred times more dangerous than any war due to their sheer power)

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Youtube has randomly delivered me a video covering every single character currently in the Megaman X gacha game. For nearly every character from a previous Mega Man game--and they've dug into every sub-series--their intro animation/pose is taken from their game or promo art, some of which gets impressively specific.

But the best one is 'Megaman Volnutt Alt.'--the version of Mega Man from Legends who's bottomed out the opaque and pointless morality meter in those games. His intro animation is to do both of the things in Legends 1 that reduced your morality in that game's international release. (the localization removed the ability to kick small animals.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l7yNsE0GF8&t=658s

(10:57 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 14:59 on Apr 7, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

Youtube has randomly delivered me a video covering every single character currently in the Megaman X gacha game. For nearly every character from a previous Mega Man game--and they've dug into every sub-series--their intro animation/pose is taken from their game or promo art, some of which gets impressively specific.

But the best one is 'Megaman Volnutt Alt.'--the version of Mega Man from Legends who's bottomed out the opaque and pointless morality meter in those games. His intro animation is to do both of the things in Legends 1 that reduced your morality in that game's international release. (the localization removed the ability to kick small animals.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9l7yNsE0GF8&t=658s

(10:57 if the timestamp doesn't work)

Funnily enough, I'm pretty sure kicking the pigs still works in the localization of MML2. Or at least in the PAL version anyway.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IIRC you can also lose a shitload of morality in one go if you destroy the news blimp during the first Tron Bonne fight, though you'd have to go way out of your way to do that.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think in Legends 1, there was also a small yapping dog you could kick and even juggle if you got him into the corner. The flipside being that he would attack you in revenge after you let up.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Philippe posted:

I don't hate MG Survive, but BOY is it a departure.
You beat the story via your friendly AI teaching the main bad guy about the concept of death.

Most of the spin-off games are all nuts. A bunch of puppets on strings take over a plane in Acid 1.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Croccers posted:

You beat the story via your friendly AI teaching the main bad guy about the concept of death.

Most of the spin-off games are all nuts. A bunch of puppets on strings take over a plane in Acid 1.

I mean that’s just more psychic stuff hardly outlandish

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC you can also lose a shitload of morality in one go if you destroy the news blimp during the first Tron Bonne fight, though you'd have to go way out of your way to do that.

Not sure about that one. The way I was familiar with is to beat up the servbots that were accused of robbing a bank, and then just exit the area with the suitcase full of money, instead of bringing it back to the bank or whatever.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Yeah, you can shoot the news blimp, steal the bank money, kick dogs in the international version (in the localized release the strays in the old city are still aggro at you and it’s possible to kick them, but you can’t punt Paprika), kick vending machines for free drinks, and kick the can into Jet Lag Bakery in Apple Market to make your armor go darker, the only thing I think you can do to get it lighter again is to donate to Mayor Amelia to fix the city (and maybe donate items to the museum?). I don’t think it has any particular purpose other than that, though.

In the sequel there’s a few more ways to interact with it and there are special weapons tied to becoming dark or light, IIRC.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I remember a kid at school telling me about ~Dark MegaMan~ and being like "Whatever, kid who also told me about resurrecting Aeris". Really hosed me up when I tried it out and it worked.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

CzarChasm posted:

Not sure about that one. The way I was familiar with is to beat up the servbots that were accused of robbing a bank, and then just exit the area with the suitcase full of money, instead of bringing it back to the bank or whatever.

That one completely bottomed out your morality.

And for people who didn't watch it, Evil Volnutt kicks a vending machine until it breaks (which is a hit in MML1), and then picks up the suitcase full of money and runs.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
(Elden Ring) there’s a region of the game that’s just kinda really hosed up with poo poo like dogs that look like hosed up giant t-rex doggos among other things. Most of the time you see them they’re just roving or scavenging but there’s one near a guy’s hut with a specific pose (he looks like he’s getting ready to shake hands), a unique attack, and a spiked collar that I’m pretty sure was the hut owner’s pet. That’s neat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There are hosed up dogs all over Elden Ring but most of them aren't that big yeah