Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
To me the HL1 high resolution pack looked fine, like just slightly higher resolution textures and models built from the same high resolution assets as the original came from, which was almost certainly the case. And that's really something the normal home modder without a contact with the original devs couldn't do.

Kinda like how iD could probably have whipped up a higher resolution sprite and patch pack, maybe even a basic 3d model pack that was properly on-model, around the time Doom II came out because all the original digital, physical and improvised assets were still around to be worked on - of course they had no reason to as they didn't really have a significantly high resolution doom upgrade in the works or plans to add 3d model support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
The only problem I have with the HD pack is the inexplicable decision to replace the glock and mp5 with completely different guns, but it's not like the replacements are incompetently made or anything. Either way, it's not even in the same universe as the hideous model packs for Doom and Duke3D, let's not go crazy here.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Let us be glad for the awkward looking 3D models in these HD-upgrade packs, lest we forget that it could always be worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCigiEuRvrA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RqJnl1QIRGA

edit: The "shotgun" that is just a rifle the fires 7 bullets really fast is still my favorite

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I've seen those before but only now did I realize they look like mid-90s CGI game boxart in real time. This is not a good thing.

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007
I like the spark effects in the first video but everything else about both of them is so bad. The rocket launcher looks especially like a chromed out trash can

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

CJacobs posted:

Let us be glad for the awkward looking 3D models in these HD-upgrade packs, lest we forget that it could always be worse

edit: The "shotgun" that is just a rifle the fires 7 bullets really fast is still my favorite

This has to be some sort of joke. I've seen this before, but I've never really sat and watched it--this is the most retarded Doom-related poo poo I've seen since that "Polygon Plays DOOM" video. It's just...awful, even if it's considered a pre-alpha.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

There was one thing that really bugged me about the HL model/texture pack back in the day and I can't remember what it was at all. It drove me nuts though.

I also used to play only in software mode back then because the engine's low-res effect when under water (and during certain fade transitions like when Gordon is captured or wakes up in Xen) only worked in that renderer. I thought it was a neat effect that much.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

CJacobs posted:

I remember something highlighting this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG8Lb9G7ul8), where the Pinky demons look...worried.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

CJacobs posted:

I'm now blind because I didn't wear some eclipse goggles for the second video.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpjW6655z5o

Have a video to cleanse your eyes from the poo poo above

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes

BattleMaster posted:

Single player in Quake 2 is actually a special subset of multiplayer with both the client and server running at the same time with a local connection between them so netcode issues can still arise in single player.

Not just Quake2. Every Quake engine game, even Quake1, worked this way. It was a pretty good way of ensuring that the client could be sent all events correctly to correctly replicate effects without needing to do separate testing. It also made designing listen servers a cinch as the logic was already there, just connect more clients.
This design of making the client and server work in tandem for local games remained partially in Doom3, although not entirely (by default enemy AI doesn't seem to be replicated, but some things like damage events are). Not sure how much of it ended up in RAGE, if at all.

This gets really odd if you look the other direction; Doom worked this way as well, however not with the same design. While the core underlying netcode existed and ran even in singleplayer, Doom's networking information is made only and entirely of input commands so there wasn't much/anything to rate limit. It's also what allowed custom input and network drivers to exist, such as DWANGO's 4 player modem support, as all Doom needed was something to supply it player input commands.
Lastly, it's also what controlled Doom's framerate. Input commands still get created even during the rendering loop, so if the game falls behind, it ends up with more input commands, so it runs more tics before rendering the next frame.

Yes, I will in fact look for any excuse to dispense network multiplayer factoids.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Man, I do not like the firemace in heretic. It makes no sense, even by the low standards of fantasy weapons it makes no sense. It seems like a goofy test weapon they put in by mistake. A peppermill that sprinkles ball bearings.

It pains me that it's corvus' shotgun equivalent in samsara. At least in normal heretic you never see it.

Also where is my brutal heretic? I need ludicrous fantasy gibs

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Heretic in general could use more mods.

It is a game woefully in need of modding.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Heretic needs a full samsara mod with all characters being fantasy based. Put Geralt from The Witcher, a pyro from dark souls and that stuff with crazy weapons.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

CJacobs posted:

I like that the pinky demon has no animations and how it is guaranteed to glitch fling itself around the level when killed. What the gently caress.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I'm going through Heretic for the first time right now. The green bolted crossbow from Dusk got me curious about the Doom-clone I never played. I grabbed it on Steam and am running it through Gzdoom and so far I really like it. I was worried the weapons wouldn't be for me but they make a good impact on enemies and are pretty satisfying. I was recommended the highest difficulty since it's not just a gimmick and the Ultra Violence of the game. Only complaint so far is sometimes it's easier to find secrets than the main path. They like hiding the switches and opening walls in already explored areas. I tried it with ketchup for a little and I don't know about that. It doesn't feel right somehow in this setting. Big a gore hound as I am I didn't really want to cover some of these beautiful chapels and castles in guts. I was thinking about going through it again with Guncaster, but again it just feels wrong in this setting to be chaingunning mummies.

Was thinking about grabbing Hexen, but it's pretty divisive? RPG elements in an old fps sounds like it could be a hassle. Unless I'm misunderstanding what Hexen is about.

LogicalFallacy
Nov 16, 2015

Wrecking hell's shit since 1993

Lork posted:

The only problem I have with the HD pack is the inexplicable decision to replace the glock and mp5 with completely different guns, but it's not like the replacements are incompetently made or anything. Either way, it's not even in the same universe as the hideous model packs for Doom and Duke3D, let's not go crazy here.
That decision actually has a very simple explanation: the HD guns are US standard issue. I actually learned that when I watched an LP by a lass who was in the army. Wish I could find it again, as it was actually a pretty good LP.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I played Heretic with a cool mod that basically turns all weapons into the Tome of Power versions by default (I think it also made some changes to monster stats to balance it out), and it was way more fun. Wish I could remember what it was called.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Flubby posted:

Was thinking about grabbing Hexen, but it's pretty divisive? RPG elements in an old fps sounds like it could be a hassle. Unless I'm misunderstanding what Hexen is about.

If you like to explore everything and collect every item; you should have no problem with Hexen. If you just want to run and gun straight to exit while shooting monsters, you won't enjoy it at all. Hexen is kinda slow-paced and features a lot of puzzles that require you to find hidden switches and items.

Or to put it another way: in Doom, the goal is to fight enemies; switches and locks are obstacles you must overcome in the pursuit of your primary goal. In Hexen, it's the other way around: you're here to flip all the switches and pick up all the keys; monsters are there as obstacles to slow you down in your puzzle-solving.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Flubby posted:

I'm going through Heretic for the first time right now. The green bolted crossbow from Dusk got me curious about the Doom-clone I never played. I grabbed it on Steam and am running it through Gzdoom and so far I really like it. I was worried the weapons wouldn't be for me but they make a good impact on enemies and are pretty satisfying. I was recommended the highest difficulty since it's not just a gimmick and the Ultra Violence of the game. Only complaint so far is sometimes it's easier to find secrets than the main path. They like hiding the switches and opening walls in already explored areas. I tried it with ketchup for a little and I don't know about that. It doesn't feel right somehow in this setting. Big a gore hound as I am I didn't really want to cover some of these beautiful chapels and castles in guts. I was thinking about going through it again with Guncaster, but again it just feels wrong in this setting to be chaingunning mummies.

Did you find the Heretic mod that expands the weapons to be widescreen? That seems like the most important thing.

Hexen is, uh, a different type of game. I wouldn't call it an RPG by any stretch. Tons of switches that do... something, very limited weapon set, extremely tedious enemies...

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Flubby posted:

Don't.

Cat Mattress posted:

If you like to explore everything and collect every item; you should have no problem with Hexen. If you just want to run and gun straight to exit while shooting monsters, you won't enjoy it at all. Hexen is kinda slow-paced and features a lot of puzzles that require you to find hidden switches and items.

I am that kind of person and Hexen was hands down still one of the most unpleasant games I have ever played to completion. Saying it requires you to "slow down" is generous because of all the monsters the game regenerates on a timer.

Mak0rz posted:

I have a confession to make, everyone.

These past few days I played through Hexen. All of it. Including the Deathkings of the Dark Citadel expansion. I did it because it's a game I started and abonded several times since childhood. I did it just so I could say I did. I did it because I am a really dumb self-loathing idiot. I pretty much knew I wasn't going to be in for a good time, if not only from the ramblings of the FPS aficionados in this thread, but holy poo poo I really did not expect it to be that bad.

Most of what FirstPersonShitter says is right on the money for the most part. The levels are needlessly confusing and labyrinthine in all the wrong ways. I can sort of see what they were going for with the hub world and side-dungeons full of traps and switches, but man they really went to hell with it in the worst way possible. Near the end of the game you have to suffer through a bunch of boss gauntlets, two of which are "Heresiarchs," which are insanely bullshit hard unless you have the Wraithverge (the Cleric's ultimate weapon that FirstPersonShitter colorfully described as "a heavy metal crucifix that shoots ghosts"). The weapons and items are utter garbage, though I will say that he was being a little unfair when saying the Mage gets the worst weapons. One of his spells is easily the best non-Wraithverge weapon in the game: the Arc of Death. It's a wave of lightning that traps enemies in an electrical vortex and usually holds them there until they die.

It sounds fun as it is and honestly it really is, but something makes it very special: it is the only weapon that can kill Centaurs faster than in five goddamn minutes.

FPS' rant only made a passing mention of them, but they are by far the game's biggest problem. Centaurs (and their identical-looking plasma beam shooting superiors, "Slaughtaurs") really ruin any enjoyment anyone could hope to get from this game, even when considering the confusing maps and switch/key hunts. I will even go as far to say that Hexen would actually be fairly decent if it weren't for them. They have a lot of health and instantly react to getting hit by putting a shield up for five seconds or so, which makes them immune to physical attacks and reflects all projectiles back at you. This means they can take a long rear end time to kill.

Honestly that wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the fact that the game unloads piles upon piles of them on you after you meet them for the first time in the Guardian of Steel way early in the game. Even considering all of this Centaurs aren't even a challenge at all. They're just outrageously tedious and bloat the game's playtime twofold by just existing. gently caress Centaurs. The Cleric's gas cloud Flechettes do help a bit, when the game feels like it. Sometimes it kills Centaurs in seconds and sometimes it just stunlocks them in a pain state and never damages them. It's really weird. Regardless they are totally obsoleted by the Wraithverge and its bloodlusting ball of ghosts anyway, which can easily kill a dozen Centaurs in just one shot.

The game also has a habit of spawning more enemies if you take too long in a map, but that's okay because it just throws more Ettins (the two-headed ogre guys) at you and they're no problem no matter what class/weapon you choose. This changes in Deathkings though. Deathkings of the Dark Citadel is more compact. I felt the maps were far more logically constructed, though just as big and winding, and the game actually telegraphed if a switch affected something in another map. Great! That said, Deathkings is still worse, and for just one reason. Hexen's penchant for spawning monsters if you dawdle is back, and this time they aren't limited to Ettins. Guess what the creature of choice is and boy they really come by the dozens this time! :buddy:

gently caress Hexen. It was an unenjoyable experience throughout. Someone a few pages back asked how they can just skip Seven Portals so they can get on with the game. I'm not sure what replies were given, but buddy I'm just going to tell you: Seven Portals and the map that comes before it are the best parts in the entire loving game. Move on. It's not worth it.

Edit: If you're expecting an RPG experience just play it with the Serpent Resurrection mod which basically turns it into a forgotten Elder Scrolls game that doesn't at all resemble the original Hexen. Not sure how it is because I only played it for a few minutes but the scale of the mod alone is pretty impressive in its own right.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Sep 6, 2017

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
All the nitty-gritty detail on Hexen's monster respawning:
https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Hexen_scripted_monster_spawning

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Edit:^^^As that shows with two exceptions the only things that respawn are Ettins and they're absolutely no hassle to kill regardless of weapon. If Centaurs spawned infinite, then yeah, the respawns would be a big issue, because gently caress Centaurs.

Eh I like Hexen even in it's default state. It's not a kill all enemies hit end of level switch kind of game - more of a deliberate adventure. Hexen 2 is similar and quite good as well (except for the dreadful Aztec chapter). There's a mod called Wrath of Cronos (it works on Doom and Heretic too) that adds in skill trees, levels, more weapons and two extra classes that really spice up Hexen some more too.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Sep 6, 2017

GuyonthecoucH
Apr 10, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

There was one thing that really bugged me about the HL model/texture pack back in the day and I can't remember what it was at all. It drove me nuts though.

I also used to play only in software mode back then because the engine's low-res effect when under water (and during certain fade transitions like when Gordon is captured or wakes up in Xen) only worked in that renderer. I thought it was a neat effect that much.

For me it's the mp5 replacement that has a muzzle flash that extends over the crosshair making it harder to aim. Shotgun in the HD pack is similar in that the cocking animation covers the middle of the screen and the original one does not.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Hexen is an argument for the existence of nav points.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe
I want it known that D'sparil is BULLSHIT

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

c0burn posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpjW6655z5o

Have a video to cleanse your eyes from the poo poo above

Hey guys, what's pussy hell?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

? this?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

project brutality is fun, i found a download of a version 3 test build or something idk if its legit? but its cool

i just played go 2 it with brutality (the 2.03 version tho) and it was loving insane. i like the monster variety but i hate the look of the standard gun and the new minigun. really digging final doom on it tho.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Max Wilco posted:

Oh hey, this is kinda cool. Someone did a sort-of remake of Hollywood Holocaust from Duke 3D. It's called Hollywood Holocaust Rethinked*. It's all done using EDuke and 3D Polymer models. LGR also recorded some lines for Duke.

There's a video walkthrough of it here (it's :nws: in a few parts, though): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcq87Ojj4_Y. From watching it, it's pretty impressive what they did with EDuke. It does seem a little reminiscent of DNF, though the mod description states that it's an attempt to try and make the game 'more modern'. Some of the areas seem a little cramped.

*Technically, it should be "Hollywood Holocaust Rethought"

At first I really hated this until I saw everything the map had to offer. Now I really like it, even if all the models looks bad and the animations are terrible. I like how someone took a bunch of developer commentary and actually made a full map out of it. Gearbox, if they have any creativity and drive left, could look at this and get some pretty decent ideas.

My favorite part of the whole thing would be the level design. The changes to the level with the architecture, the little bits and pieces with the decorations and facades and every corner of the level having something interesting were some of my favorites.

Pathos posted:

Yeah, maybe. But some Doom mods specifically have custom enemies which is a ton of sprite work... I guess I'm just surprised there isn't a single person who's capable and willing to do it.

Pixel artists and 2D sprite workers are not the same as 3D modellers. Two different disciplines. You can find some who can do both, but if there's a 3D modeller out there and the person can do decent stuff, chances are they'll more likely to get picked up by some dev team or an upstart movie company for render farming rather than do stuff on mods. They're out there, but they're mostly busy doing stuff for Unreal to build up a portfolio than make a bunch of random models.

This is from my experience anyway. All of my 3D modellers friends ended up being assholes (:argh:) and my coder friends from school are the ones I keep in touch with.

Rocket Pan posted:

Not just Quake2. Every Quake engine game, even Quake1, worked this way. It was a pretty good way of ensuring that the client could be sent all events correctly to correctly replicate effects without needing to do separate testing. It also made designing listen servers a cinch as the logic was already there, just connect more clients.
This design of making the client and server work in tandem for local games remained partially in Doom3, although not entirely (by default enemy AI doesn't seem to be replicated, but some things like damage events are). Not sure how much of it ended up in RAGE, if at all.

This gets really odd if you look the other direction; Doom worked this way as well, however not with the same design. While the core underlying netcode existed and ran even in singleplayer, Doom's networking information is made only and entirely of input commands so there wasn't much/anything to rate limit. It's also what allowed custom input and network drivers to exist, such as DWANGO's 4 player modem support, as all Doom needed was something to supply it player input commands.
Lastly, it's also what controlled Doom's framerate. Input commands still get created even during the rendering loop, so if the game falls behind, it ends up with more input commands, so it runs more tics before rendering the next frame.

Yes, I will in fact look for any excuse to dispense network multiplayer factoids.

Cool writeup. It's good to read on Client-server model designs for different environments in games as time went on and things were pushed towards company servers and matchmaking and away from local games. I do hope Quake Champions ends up having proper local play.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey guys, what's pussy hell?

Kama Sutra 18+ version?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

TerminusEst13 posted:

Heretic in general could use more mods.

It is a game woefully in need of modding.
I almost kinda wish that one guy hadn't recently taken the term "HUMP" for his rather-restrictive Heretic mapping thing (vanilla-compatible; only the original, super-limited texture set allowed; etc.) on the ZDoom forums, because a Heretic-based DUMP would probably be kinda swell.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Flubby posted:

Not really many RPG elements. You don't level up or make improvements to your character, you just collect items (lots of inventory items but most of them are useful in some way) and each characters best weapon is gained by collecting 3 pieces of it throughout the game.

Cat Mattress posted:

Or to put it another way: in Doom, the goal is to fight enemies; switches and locks are obstacles you must overcome in the pursuit of your primary goal. In Hexen, it's the other way around: you're here to flip all the switches and pick up all the keys; monsters are there as obstacles to slow you down in your puzzle-solving.

This is probably a good description. It's a lot of "explore this area, find a switch and pull it, then go see what it opened and explore that area, repeat. Also hub level style design". A lot of times if it's something that opened an area far away from where you are you'll get a message telling you in what area something opened up.

I have a soft spot for it because it was awesome to play co-op back in the day and by this point I have most of the "puzzles" memorized. FYI they're not really puzzles so much as pulling switches. Never really had a problem with respawning enemies because it doesn't respawn a ton of them, just a few here and there. enough to surprise you at times but not enough to make it tedious IMO.

DatonKallandor posted:

Eh I like Hexen even in it's default state. It's not a kill all enemies hit end of level switch kind of game - more of a deliberate adventure. Hexen 2 is similar and quite good as well (except for the dreadful Aztec chapter). There's a mod called Wrath of Cronos (it works on Doom and Heretic too) that adds in skill trees, levels, more weapons and two extra classes that really spice up Hexen some more too.

I need to get Hexen 2 working again. I think I installed the fan mod stuff but I'm not sure if it's working properly. The resolution definitely seems to be screwy but I remember you always had to fix that in the launching executable or some crap

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Strife: Veteran edition is good. The biggest issue I have encountered so far is the lack of a crouch key.
Murdered the hell out of the guy who sells you out in the starting city bar and looted his item stash.
Custom Zandronum mods got me used to crouching in the Doom engine.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So, is Hexen 2 to Hexen/Heretic what Quake is to Doom? I never really bothered with any of the non-Doom Doom engine games, other than the original Heretic (shareware episode at that). Always looked cool, though.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

LogicalFallacy posted:

That decision actually has a very simple explanation: the HD guns are US standard issue. I actually learned that when I watched an LP by a lass who was in the army. Wish I could find it again, as it was actually a pretty good LP.
Oh, goody! You just sent me down the wikipedia rabbit hole of trying to figure out if the HECU are kitted out as a Marine unit should be. Turns out the answer is "mostly." Pretty much all the guns in the HL games have been used by the Marines at some point or another; but apparently the Marines have never operated Bradleys, Apaches, or F-16s. Of course, the HECU may be a special case and blah blah blah.

Procurement is weird.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Apaches say US Army on the side. HECU is probably supposed to be a joint mission.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh man you guys, Messing with Doom sprites is a lot of fun but it is time consuming.

2 frames done, out of 36!! :sweatdrop:

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Vikar Jerome posted:

i just played go 2 it with brutality (the 2.03 version tho) and it was loving insane. i like the monster variety but i hate the look of the standard gun and the new minigun. really digging final doom on it tho.

yeah i like the monster variety a lot. im not too keen on half of the weapons though. the random 'realistic' guns kind of suck. There's a dumb smg and carbine and the default assault rifle that just look out of place. everything has 70 alt fire modes too. I love acid grenades and all but it does feel kinda bloated.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

LogicalFallacy posted:

That explains the MP5 -> M4, but what about the Glock? That's the weapon of the security guards, not the military. That change just seems gratuitous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ButtHate
Sep 26, 2007
Since the links in the OP are dead for me, what are my options if I want to buy n play UT99 on a somewhat modern machine again?