Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Handsome Ralph posted:

April Fool's.

Goddamnit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

DonkeyHotay posted:

the jean bart is arguably my best ship, statistically, and it *is* fun as hell but in all honesty you almost never want to bow tank in it. the speed and maneuverability are negated by bow tanking and he spam is *insanely* strong against the jean bart.

Why in the world would you not point your bow at something that wants to shoot AP at you? Especially with ramming flags equipped :getin:

I mean, Yamato's aside since it doesn't matter for them.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

DonkeyHotay posted:

The Nelson is a Colorado that gets super HE and heal in trade for a citadel the size of the moon. I don't get why it overperforms like it does and it isn't very fun to play anyway.

Nelson is also far and away the most accurate battleship in the game, so that helps

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

DonkeyHotay posted:

The Nelson is a Colorado that gets super HE and heal in trade for a citadel the size of the moon. I don't get why it overperforms like it does and it isn't very fun to play anyway.

If you point the Nelson at a battleship so that the third turret can just barely fire, it bounces most of their AP even if they overmatch. It also goes 24 knots which is pretty slow but not bad enough to completely ruin the ship like the 20 knots of US battleships.

I mean it's still a slow battleship but it's not the worst.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Why in the world would you not point your bow at something that wants to shoot AP at you? Especially with ramming flags equipped :getin:

I mean, Yamato's aside since it doesn't matter for them.

If you point your bow at them you have to either drive toward them or reverse away from them, reversing loses you your speed, and driving straight at them often means the whole enemy team will focus you.

Also in spite of having all your guns forward, you have good firing arcs behind you for driving away from enemies.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

James Garfield posted:

If you point your bow at them you have to either drive toward them or reverse away from them, reversing loses you your speed, and driving straight at them often means the whole enemy team will focus you.

Also in spite of having all your guns forward, you have good firing arcs behind you for driving away from enemies.

Right but there's nothing stopping you from doing the cruiser thing and putting an island next to you so you can bow tank whatever you're pointed towards and the maneuverability means you can pop out from behind said island to punish broadsides in a reasonable timeframe.

But then again I'm a weirdo who plays BB's rather aggressively compared to most of the playerbase :v:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

Hmm ok, seems similar to Alaska.

25 mm deck and hull? What is this, IJN Kronshtadt?

:cripes:

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

"Fun" weekend of WoWS again. I had two (2) games of 15+ carrier games where my Lexington and Implacable weren't bottom tiers in a T10 game (often with the only T8s being the carriers).

I know people complain about +2/-2 matchmaking a lot but for carriers it's especially warranted, because holy poo poo is it rough being a T8 carrier in a T10 game, especially now that even the densest of pubbies have cottoned on to the high level strategy of "be near another ship". They are literally untouchable, because with overlapping AA bubbles my strike planes will never even get to attack before getting blown up, and while I'm smart enough to know that in those situations I will just scout out targets and wait until AA mounts start getting blown off, it's the opposite of fun.

At the same time, when a +2 carrier gets into a lower tiered game, they wreck poo poo up. My Lexington's planes might as well be invulnerable in T6 games, and while dive bombing T6 battleships into pieces or taking over half of a destroyer's HP with a single lucky Tiny Tim swarm is fun for me, it's probably not good for the game.

+1/-1 matchmaking for carriers now.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Yeah, unless there’s something seriously amazing about Azuma that we’re all missing I’m having a really hard time justifying why it exists with those armor values. It has no utility (not even sonar, right?) whatsoever and no torps, what is wargaming thinking?

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

EponymousMrYar posted:

Right but there's nothing stopping you from doing the cruiser thing and putting an island next to you so you can bow tank whatever you're pointed towards and the maneuverability means you can pop out from behind said island to punish broadsides in a reasonable timeframe.

This only works if there's literally nothing that will shoot HE at you, especially if you're trying to ram something.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Velius posted:

Yeah, unless there’s something seriously amazing about Azuma that we’re all missing I’m having a really hard time justifying why it exists with those armor values. It has no utility (not even sonar, right?) whatsoever and no torps, what is wargaming thinking?

It used to have those armour values coupled to a ship that played completely differently, then they nerfed it for reasons unknown and now we have a vessel that is strictly inferior to Kron and Alaska and isn't worth buying.

Mean time we're now getting the original Azuma plus torpedoes as a tier 10, but we'll see how long that survives testing

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

Velius posted:

I mean you can buy it and get matched against pubbies in poo poo like donskois so that your ship is still better. It's just that why would you buy an Azuma for a million freexp when the Alaska is stupidly powerful and costs the same?

ashrum3
Feb 16, 2019
the bismark is an awesome ship in this game as some one who ownes it

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I watched a couple videos on the Azuma and it sounds like they gave it pretty good accuracy with the 12” guns. So poo poo armor, mediocre detection, but good gun velocity, range, and accuracy. Still a tough sell with the lack of any useful consumables, though.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Velius posted:

I watched a couple videos on the Azuma and it sounds like they gave it pretty good accuracy with the 12” guns. So poo poo armor, mediocre detection, but good gun velocity, range, and accuracy. Still a tough sell with the lack of any useful consumables, though.

The problem is that even aside from the poo poo armor, it has a poo poo citadel design too, and the "good gun characteristics" are in regard to the super cruisers, not normal ones. So you could probably make an argument that even the Ibuki is a better overall ship, let alone various other actual cruisers within its tier bracket.

It's the worst of the three T9 super cruisers, and it's not even close.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

ashrum3 posted:

the bismark is an awesome ship in this game as some one who ownes it

Try the Tirpitz, my dude.

Literally one of the most fun ships to play in this game. Brawling gets intense and when you go 2v1 and still come out with 50% health I don't think I've ever been more smug.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

dialhforhero posted:

Try the Tirpitz, my dude.

Literally one of the most fun ships to play in this game. Brawling gets intense and when you go 2v1 and still come out with 50% health I don't think I've ever been more smug.

I figured the German line would have been pretty power crept at this point, do any of them have decent AA?

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
Audacious is good.

That is all.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Eltoasto posted:

I figured the German line would have been pretty power crept at this point, do any of them have decent AA?

If you do the funny secondary build starting at the Bis they can have deceiving good AA, not US BB levels of amazing, but better than you think, also on top of that your AA would be getting stronger as the game goes on since you will be running things to decrease the knock out potential of your secondary guns, this also includes dedicated AA mounts, I mutated my secondary fit GF to deal with all the T10 carriers with the new redesign and I have had amazing results

Speaking of carriers, T6 carriers are in the worst spot out of everything in the entire game, since they get forced into T8 games all the time because of the prem bloat around there

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Is it just my mods acting up or have they removed the "number of players online" ticker?

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
The problem with the Tirpitz (and Gneisenau and Scharn) is that when you play with a Bismarck and forget you don’t have torps you get really sad because you get spoiled as gently caress having them,

ReapersTouch
Nov 25, 2004

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Space battles are full of great players.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Yeah, it’s pretty special. I spent a lot of time describing the tier 10s and their advantages in chat. Nice players though and almost no rage.

The rewards are kind of mediocre, like 4K (elite) commander xp and 200k credits with good games. But it’s pretty fun and laid back.

Somebody Awful
Nov 27, 2011

BORN TO DIE
HAIG IS A FUCK
Kill Em All 1917
I am trench man
410,757,864,530 SHELLS FIRED

Burt posted:

Is it just my mods acting up or have they removed the "number of players online" ticker?

They took it off the port screen and moved it to one of the menus or something.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Somebody Awful posted:

They took it off the port screen and moved it to one of the menus or something.

Any idea where? Found it. Press Esc in port.

Burt fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 2, 2019

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

With the free respec on captains just now I'm finding myself conflicted. On my BB's I had been taking Preventative Maintenance but I'm thinking about changing them all to Priority Target. I change it on my Rich and it's good but now I'm getting guns knocked out every game.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Apr 2, 2019

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I got in a T6 game where the only T8s were the two carriers. I was in my Saipan.

I feel a bit dirty now.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Aramoro posted:

With the free respec on captains just now I'm finding myself conflicted. On my BB's I had been taking Preventative Maintenance but I'm thinking about changing them all to Priority Target. I change it on my Rich and it's good but now I'm getting guns knocked out every game.

Anything with only thin turret armour or two turrets it's well worth taking PM, however I take PT on just about everything as it's just so drat good to know if you are being targeted, especially knowing when DDs have just fired torps at you.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Burt posted:

Anything with only thin turret armour or two turrets it's well worth taking PM, however I take PT on just about everything as it's just so drat good to know if you are being targeted, especially knowing when DDs have just fired torps at you.

That doesn't work on any dd with half a brain. So like a quarter of shima drivers.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

DonkeyHotay posted:

That doesn't work on any dd with half a brain. So like a quarter of shima drivers.

That works out to be something like .6 to 1 DD player every three matches in my experience :v:

I too take PT on everything, both for anticipating DD's and for when 4+ people target me so I know to focus on evasion rather than accuracy.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
Just so I’m not a moron about dds myself, it’s just a matter of not switching to guns after dropping torps to avoid triggering priority target right?

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Velius posted:

Just so I’m not a moron about dds myself, it’s just a matter of not switching to guns after dropping torps to avoid triggering priority target right?

There's that and also you can switch to torps before ever targeting someone and he'll never suspect that torps are in the water

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

DonkeyHotay posted:

There's that and also you can switch to torps before ever targeting someone and he'll never suspect that torps are in the water

Also you can psych them out by manually cancelling your target on them for a couple seconds and then picking them back up. If I'm pointing at a BB, I'll usually flip the target on and off them every so often just to throw them for loops.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I don't know what it is, but it seems the EU playerbase is getting more and more toxic. These past few days I've had numerous idiots rage out after dying early in games and start posting player locations in allchat etc, with the standard assortment of N-words flying everywhere.

Also, I have both the Midway and the Audacious unlocked but don't know which to get first. Thoughts?

Burns
May 10, 2008

Thats par for the course. Theres apparently a mod to disable chat, but i guess it disables comms messages not sure.

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Der Shovel posted:

I don't know what it is, but it seems the EU playerbase is getting more and more toxic. These past few days I've had numerous idiots rage out after dying early in games and start posting player locations in allchat etc, with the standard assortment of N-words flying everywhere.

Also, I have both the Midway and the Audacious unlocked but don't know which to get first. Thoughts?

Midway is by far the most powerful CV right now, whether or not you think it'll be nerfed into the ground, who knows.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Der Shovel posted:

toadee posted:

Midway is by far the most powerful CV right now, whether or not you think it'll be nerfed into the ground, who knows.

USN Lexington/Midway are currently incredibly broken poo poo - or at least their DBs are. This has been acknowledged by most competent players for weeks (and was on full display during the recent KotS), but WG of course has still failed to get a nerf out on the garbage, despite how fast they rushed out a heavy-handed nerf on the Hak torpedo issue.

For a practical, demonstrative example, let's go to iChase's video on this a few days ago on how to reliably do it every single time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRuO5kKUjT0&t=1s

So yeah, reliable 10k+ DB single attack runs on perpendicular destroyers - and the player examples at least were attempting to maneuver. Obviously, cruisers fare no better - though the additional AA means it might be slightly more difficult/painful.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 3, 2019

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

There's also a 43(?)mm breakpoint where the tier X brit cv will pen decks with its bombs so if you are playing any bb below that threshold have fun eating 20k+ strikes over and over again.

CVs are cool, as are wargaming's dumbass penetration mechanics

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
NA BOATC GOONS IT'S FUCKIN CLAN WARS TIME AND I WANT SOME GOD DAMNED STEEL SO JOIN DISCORD OK???

Clan wars runs 7:30-11:30 eastern time, weds/thurs + sat/sun. You don't have to have T10 ships (although it's better). The rentals this season are Zao, which is fantastic, Grozovoi, and Conqueror

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
With the rental you get a commander and everything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

FatCow posted:

With the rental you get a commander and everything?

It functions like a premium so bring your own commander.
EDIT: My internet is currently kind of spotty so maybe no clan wars for me this week.