Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o3o
Nov 29, 2002

1890 - 1918
Safe places to get free themes:

http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/
http://www.woothemes.com/
http://graphpaperpress.com/
http://www.blogperfume.com/ (some are free, some aren't)

I'm pretty sure I have more links but I can't find them right now.

Avoid "free premium themes" because those are usually loaded with malicious code and unwelcome banner ads/affiliate links.

I'd still rather make my own themes anyway.

Edit: does anyone know when WP 3.0 is coming out? I'm loving the beta and can't wait to upgrade my site. Holy crap I just love the menu thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot
Oof. Is there a way to copy over just the theme settings from another wordpress install?

I'm trying to upload a site I built in xampp on my local machine to this godawful Yahoo Small Business hosting that my client is attached to, but I can't do a straight transfer or anything because Yahoo limits access to like everything. I had to call them up just to reset my MySql Database, it's that bad.

I got the pages and posts over (I think) just through using the in-wordpress export feature, but I couldn't figure out a way to put the theme's setting in the way I did them without just redoing it all manually.

So is there a specific folder or file or something I can overwrite on the server that will just set the theme back to what I did with it without breaking everything else?

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
Ok, Ive reworded my question so I think it makes more sense:

Im learning how to make my own WP themes and also PHP in general but I dont get the search feature.

Im using query_posts to filter custom fields using a custom search form Im creating (its just like, check boxes and drop downs) but I dont know how to submit the search.

I used firebug to look at the search form from the default template and it looks like the form's action calls the main post page. So what is search.php used for? How do I use and call search.php?

This site says to create a page, then put the loop (or modified loop) but that doesnt work. Ive already tried it several different ways and it doesnt pull the posts. I think its from an older version of WP.

This tutorial says to create the page manually (which I have) BUT I dont know how to access the page! I put it in my theme folder, but I cant directly link to it, if I type in /wordpress/search.php I get 404ed

I just need <form method="get" action="SOMETHING"> to be pointed to my search page and get it to actually pull the contents from the loop.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think the search is usually called by ?s=term

But search.php is just the default for how search results are displayed. If you want to have a special search it might make sense to make a template that you pass queries to.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Ned posted:

I think the search is usually called by ?s=term

But search.php is just the default for how search results are displayed. If you want to have a special search it might make sense to make a template that you pass queries to.

I have a search template I made, thats in my themes directory. I dont know how to make my form post results to that page tho. I cant link directly to search.php with the action (404s), and creating a page and pointing to that doesnt give me the loop.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Is there a way to import the entries from a blogspot blog into a new wordpress blog? I've got someone who's just made the jump to wordpress, but her old blog has tons of entries that it would be nice to copy over.

identikit
Dec 24, 2005

I'll show you and your massive chebs the time of your lives you sexy fuck

jackpot posted:

Is there a way to import the entries from a blogspot blog into a new wordpress blog? I've got someone who's just made the jump to wordpress, but her old blog has tons of entries that it would be nice to copy over.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Importing_Content#Blogger

Was thrown off by the Blogger/Blogspot difference. But that should work.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

rugbert posted:

I have a search template I made, thats in my themes directory. I dont know how to make my form post results to that page tho. I cant link directly to search.php with the action (404s), and creating a page and pointing to that doesnt give me the loop.

if it is ?s=value in the string then it should go use search.php - if you set up a page to use a template that reads a GET value you can probably make your own search like thing.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

identikit posted:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Importing_Content#Blogger

Was thrown off by the Blogger/Blogspot difference. But that should work.
Yeah, I keep forgetting it's not called blogspot anymore. That's perfect, thanks!

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Ned posted:

if it is ?s=value in the string then it should go use search.php - if you set up a page to use a template that reads a GET value you can probably make your own search like thing.

Thats the thing, I can get any other page to pull the loop. looks like only the posts page does.

I took care of it by adding a if else statement on my posts page where if any variables were passed in then it would filter, otherwise it displays the loop unmolested.

speaking of which, is there a way to use query_posts with multiple keys/values?

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
Where would I go to ask about something called "Liberty Exploit" ? Apparently my site has been trying to download stuff on peoples computers and I don't know why. my site is realcanesugar.cc (in case you can find something through the code)

I tried googling it and got little results.

all help or suggestions are much appreciated.

apekillape
Jan 23, 2009

by Peatpot

SamuraiPaul posted:

Where would I go to ask about something called "Liberty Exploit" ? Apparently my site has been trying to download stuff on peoples computers and I don't know why. my site is realcanesugar.cc (in case you can find something through the code)

I tried googling it and got little results.

all help or suggestions are much appreciated.

Do you have ad banners up through an affiliate company or something? Occasionally people slip in malicious code through those off the top of my head.

I'm too afeared to visit your site and get infected to check.

SamuraiPaul
Oct 9, 2005

Blowin' up da moon.
see, I took all the plugins and widgets down and I put no advertising on the site yet. I went to one of my friends and they say I need to take it to the people hosting the site.. and yea. don't visit the site unless you got like a good virus detector (it seems like something as low grade as AVG will catch it) but anyway.. I'm waiting on my host (network solutions) to get back to me and then I'll see if I can't get this fixed..

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
Google is saying your site is hosting something from "bigcorpads.com"

Here's some information that was posted this morning:

http://stopmalvertising.com/malvertisements/bigcorpadscom-replaces-corpadsinccom-in-network-solutions-hack

It's got a listing of the code that's being injected.

I would download a copy of your database plus your entire public_html directory and start searching for bigcorpads.com as well as some of the code mentioned in the above link.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

WordPress Devs posted:

The new Twenty Ten theme is now live on WordPress.com and the default for all new blogs created on the service. As an aside, WP.com (11 million sites) was switched over to 3.0 over the weekend. I love it when we’re able to do that early because we find a ton of bugs in the integration and merge, and then we have 11 million beta testers banging on the software before we do the shrink-wrap release.

Do you get to opt in to this beta test :v:

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
edit - ohmyfuckinggod never mind, I found the answer and THOUGHT I tried it but forgot to use LIKE for reason.

rugbert fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 28, 2010

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
A wordpress question, but probably more of a general coding/html question. Either way I searched for a plug-in and googled but can't find any answers. What is the easiest way to add a few Johnson Boxes into a post? I have some testimonials I need to add in, and the best way to do it is by using Johnson Boxes but I have no clue how to design or implement them.

A johnson box is just a box inside the text containing something different. The box has a strong border and most of the time is a different color.

Some examples are:
http://www.strengthcamp.com/athletes.htm - the testimonials right past #5
http://www.undergroundstrengthclub.com/success-stories/ - all of these basically.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Alfalfa posted:

A wordpress question, but probably more of a general coding/html question. Either way I searched for a plug-in and googled but can't find any answers. What is the easiest way to add a few Johnson Boxes into a post? I have some testimonials I need to add in, and the best way to do it is by using Johnson Boxes but I have no clue how to design or implement them.

Just put the testimonials in a blockquote and do something like this in css:

code:
blockquote {
background-color: yellow;
border: 1px dashed black;
padding: 2em;
}

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you
How do I get jquery to work in WP?

No function Ive tried works:
code:
jQuery(document).ready(function() {
        $(".scrollable").scrollable();
});
firefox error console just gives me: $: Is not a function and if I change the $ to jQuery Ill get
Error: jQuery(".scrollable").scrollable is not a function

Im linking to my jquery files with:

code:
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo get_option('home'); ?>/jquery.js"></script>
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo get_option('home'); ?>/jtools.js"></script>

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Use wp_enqueue_script. It will make everything awesome. http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_enqueue_script

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Ned posted:

Use wp_enqueue_script. It will make everything awesome. http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wp_enqueue_script

should I use that over the jquery noconflict? or do I use it to properly call the jquery file and scripts Im using?

I guess the jQuery(".scrollable").scrollable is not a function error is because it cant find the required .js file?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

rugbert posted:

should I use that over the jquery noconflict? or do I use it to properly call the jquery file and scripts Im using?

I guess the jQuery(".scrollable").scrollable is not a function error is because it cant find the required .js file?

No, it's because the plugin author was lazy, and has it so you MUST use '$' instead of being able to use either '$' or 'jQuery'

You can fix the plugin yourself pretty easily.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Lumpy posted:

No, it's because the plugin author was lazy, and has it so you MUST use '$' instead of being able to use either '$' or 'jQuery'

You can fix the plugin yourself pretty easily.

actually, its not a plugin. Im trying to use Jquery Tools' scrollable in my posts. Every non WP jquery I try to use does this.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

rugbert posted:

actually, its not a plugin. Im trying to use Jquery Tools' scrollable in my posts. Every non WP jquery I try to use does this.

Ahh, OK. I've run into a bunch of crappily coded plugins that force '$' and figured that was the issue, since it seemed similar. I'll shut up now :)

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
It is probably because you are calling the js path incorrectly as well.

the common convention is to put it in your theme and do this.

code:
wp_enqueue_script('jtools', get_bloginfo('stylesheet_directory') . '/js/jtools.js', array('jquery'), '1');

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Ned posted:

Nope that didnt work either, I still get the blah blah is not a function.

I also tried <script type="text/javascript" src="<?php get_bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/table.js"></script>.

so right now I have:
code:
<?php
wp_head();
wp_enqueue_script('tablesorter', get_bloginfo('stylesheet_directory').'/table.js', array('jquery'), '1');

?>

<script type="text/javascript">
jQuery(document).ready(function() 
    { 
        jQuery(".myTable").tablesorter(); 
    } 
); 
</script>
Why is using jquery so difficult in wordpress?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

rugbert posted:

Why is using jquery so difficult in wordpress?

Post the HTML source of your page.

rugbert
Mar 26, 2003
yea, fuck you

Twiin posted:

Post the HTML source of your page.

ahhhh I got it.

code:

<?php
wp_enqueue_script("jquery");
wp_head();

?>
<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php bloginfo('stylesheet_directory'); ?>/table.js"></script>

<script type="text/javascript">
var $j = jQuery.noConflict();
$j(document).ready(function() 
    { 
        $j(".myTable").tablesorter(); 
    } 
); 
</script>

I had to put wp_enqueue_script("jquery"); before wp_head(); THEN link to the file and then use noConflict();

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
I followed the directions to Give Wordpress its own directory but now the site_url() function is returning paths relative to the subdirectory in which I installed WP instead of the root of my site.

As an example, let's say WP is installed in http://myblog.com/blog/ and I have the site configured so that WP displays at http://myblog.com. When I call site_url('/blah.php'), it gives me http://myblog.com/blog/blah.php instead of http://myblog.com/blah.php

What do I need to call instead of site_url to get the correct URL?

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!
Try get_bloginfo('siteurl') instead of siteurl().

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
Also check your general settings. You usually define the blog path there.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Ned posted:

Also check your general settings. You usually define the blog path there.

True...the blog path is defined correctly according to the directions I linked above. site_url still returns the Wordpress path, not the blog path.

Twiin, I'll try your suggestion this weekend. Thanks!

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Ok, my current business website: https://www.oslopress.com , while standards compliant, is dated looking and aggravating to update. It is all xhtml/css, other than the blog which is run on wordpress. We need an updated website to show our new products and to hopefully do a better job of customer conversions.

I know passable xhtml and css, I can muddle through php, I do not code or design websites for a living. We have $0 to pay anyone to do this for us, I coded the original website, but it is much simpler than what we want now.

I have seen wordpress templates that I can buy for $30 that do exactly what I want, and that I could probably reskin to look like I want them to without much trouble. My current plan is to buy said template ( http://www.olliemccarthy.com/themes/novocane/ ) and base the entire website off of WordPress.

My question revolves around the oft-made claim that Wordpress is clunky and slow. I certainly thought it was in 2.5 and previous, but it seems to have gotten much quicker with 2.9. This could be either me having an overly rosy perception of WP 2.9, or others having carry-over opinions about WP that no longer apply. I also see people claim that WP does not scale well, and I'm wondering what scale they are talking about. We need around 50 pages max and a blog; if we got 1000 visitors a day we would be up to our eyeballs in work based on our current traffic:customer ratio (even if it was a case of "for every *10 in traffic you get *2 in customers" then we would still be perfectly served with a website that got 1k visits daily).

The only other elephant in the room is the future need to add a shopping cart (current work is highly custom, i.e. anything over a "sample" is handled by a csr, hence no need for a cart), which looks like it could be done with plug-ins.

Given that 1k daily visitors and 50 pages + blog are our primary goals for the site, would wordpress serve our needs well?

I'm aware that this is probably a biased thread to post this question in, but I did not think it was appropriate to post an entire new thread.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

Twiin posted:

Try get_bloginfo('siteurl') instead of siteurl().

This worked, thanks :)

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

Anyone else having the problem where you put a line of space in between paragraphs, but Wordpress just decides it wants to make it one big paragraph?

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

GEMorris posted:

Ok, my current business website: https://www.oslopress.com , while standards compliant, is dated looking and aggravating to update. It is all xhtml/css, other than the blog which is run on wordpress. We need an updated website to show our new products and to hopefully do a better job of customer conversions.

I know passable xhtml and css, I can muddle through php, I do not code or design websites for a living. We have $0 to pay anyone to do this for us, I coded the original website, but it is much simpler than what we want now.

I have seen wordpress templates that I can buy for $30 that do exactly what I want, and that I could probably reskin to look like I want them to without much trouble. My current plan is to buy said template ( http://www.olliemccarthy.com/themes/novocane/ ) and base the entire website off of WordPress.

My question revolves around the oft-made claim that Wordpress is clunky and slow. I certainly thought it was in 2.5 and previous, but it seems to have gotten much quicker with 2.9. This could be either me having an overly rosy perception of WP 2.9, or others having carry-over opinions about WP that no longer apply. I also see people claim that WP does not scale well, and I'm wondering what scale they are talking about. We need around 50 pages max and a blog; if we got 1000 visitors a day we would be up to our eyeballs in work based on our current traffic:customer ratio (even if it was a case of "for every *10 in traffic you get *2 in customers" then we would still be perfectly served with a website that got 1k visits daily).

The only other elephant in the room is the future need to add a shopping cart (current work is highly custom, i.e. anything over a "sample" is handled by a csr, hence no need for a cart), which looks like it could be done with plug-ins.

Given that 1k daily visitors and 50 pages + blog are our primary goals for the site, would wordpress serve our needs well?

I'm aware that this is probably a biased thread to post this question in, but I did not think it was appropriate to post an entire new thread.

WordPress will work for you. As long as you are willing to spend a little on hosting in order to support the amount of traffic you get. I think a normal site should be able to handle around 1k pageviews a day as long as it doesn't get crazy spikes. Good caching also helps out a lot.

I sometimes have issues with http://thisishistorictimes.com/ when it gets a big flood of users but even then I can usually handle about 1k an hour on my box.

I support sites hosted on VIP that get close to 750k pageviews a day. The cost of that is a bit more but it shows you the system is capable.

If you are going to be responsible for making the site I think you'll find it possible to accomplish what you want without a lot of outside help. A $30 theme that you can modify isn't a bad investment.

There are a couple of e-commerce plugins for WordPress. I think the market is going to expand greatly once 3.0 comes into play. It is going to make it much easier for competent developers to make a good e-commerce solution that fits the updated data model.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Ned posted:

WordPress will work for you. As long as you are willing to spend a little on hosting in order to support the amount of traffic you get. I think a normal site should be able to handle around 1k pageviews a day as long as it doesn't get crazy spikes. Good caching also helps out a lot.

I sometimes have issues with http://thisishistorictimes.com/ when it gets a big flood of users but even then I can usually handle about 1k an hour on my box.

I support sites hosted on VIP that get close to 750k pageviews a day. The cost of that is a bit more but it shows you the system is capable.

If you are going to be responsible for making the site I think you'll find it possible to accomplish what you want without a lot of outside help. A $30 theme that you can modify isn't a bad investment.

There are a couple of e-commerce plugins for WordPress. I think the market is going to expand greatly once 3.0 comes into play. It is going to make it much easier for competent developers to make a good e-commerce solution that fits the updated data model.

Ned,

Thanks for the response. I have a few people advising me away from php based solutions in favor of MT/Melody or just 'regular' cms's like WebGui or Modx.

While I do think that their critiques of wordpress and php are valid (mostly performance and security complaints), I'm not sure that the benefits would be worth the added time investment in getting one of those solutions up and running. What is most important to us right now is getting a better looking website up, that we can easily add content to, as soon as possible.

Oddly the theme availability of Wordpress is steering my decision just so long as WP can support our traffic goal, which it looks as if it should.

I guess if we get more traffic than we are aiming for we can pay a web developer to migrate our site to a different system.

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
If WordPress had trouble supporting sites that got 1k hits a day then it wouldn't be as popular as it is. Those kinds of sites are all over the place and WordPress does a great job of serving them up. Don't worry about traffic issues. If you have issues you'll have enough income to support those issues.

I'm a pretty biased person but I think WordPress is the future of publishing. It continues to gain momentum and becomes larger every day. Security and performance are minor issues really - as long as you use good plugins the WordPress core is pretty secure.

You are on the right track. Don't let others move you away from WordPress.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Ned posted:

Security and performance are minor issues really

Well google does factor in speed in SERPs now, and I have certainly heard of sites being dropped from the SERPs if their site was hacked and used as a platform to spread malware etc.

Certainly fears of a small site like mine being hacked are mostly unfounded, but security and speed are hardly minor issues.

I am aware that there are plugins for caching and even for making static pages from the wordpress core, so the speed issue can certainly be worked around, it is security that bothers me the most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit
I think WP security is pretty strong unless you have a bad host or use old plugins. I have seen some sites get hacked but it was because of a plugin that used an old version of magpie I do believe.

And performance isn't going to be an issue if you have the right host. I don't think you will be doing anything unusual that other WordPress sites aren't doing and with proper caching WordPress is quite fast.

I'm hoping we'll see more companies offering WordPress specific hosting. WordPress.com uses nginx instead of Apache and it is much faster. Object caching is also very useful but you kind of have to reenable it. If you can hook things up to memcached you can have a very optimized site.

But honestly, I wouldn't worry too much about either issue. At least in the sense that they are specific issues with WordPress and look at it as something that should be an issue with any system you end up choosing. WordPress has changed dramatically over the last two years and we will see many big improvements this year.

There are some nice tutorials about locking down your WordPress to make it secure and many options for making it faster.