Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calsonic
Apr 13, 2008

What do you tell people when they ask you what that tattoo is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

I am NOT a red Bumblebee for god's sake!

Gun Saliva

Calsonic posted:

What do you tell people when they ask you what that tattoo is?

That it's a design based on the Greek letter Sigma. Also, it's covered by a t-shirt so most people don't ask about it unless it's brought up in conversation, and the general response from those who've seen it is that it's a cool tattoo.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Me Clumsy posted:

I am a sucker for retro video games and Megaman is no exception. I have Megaman 1, 2 and 3 on the Wii Virtual Console, and this thread made me wonder how come Nintendo never released the rest of the NES series. Any clue?

Capcom would rather release every inferior console port of Street Fighter 2 first, it seems. I'm guessing that they think that less people will buy the new ones if there's a glut of old games up for download but I really don't know.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
I posted this a couple years ago but might as well put it here also. A friend and I created a Mega Man game for a friend's birthday.

This is Mega-Man vs. Steve-Man. The villain is the birthday boy.

I did the sprite ripping when applicable and pretty much all the graphics. My friend did all the coding and the original music. This took months to complete. This is our first experience with this kind of stuff and we'd like to make some original games in the future just for fun.

A couple notes:

* We tried to make the game very Mega-Manesque. Even though there are a few surprises, we decided not to stray from the Mega-Man style of play.

* We used the original Nintendo color palette of only 60 colors.

* This is a tile-based system. All the movements and everything was created and coded in Flash. My friend coded everything since I am still learning all that. Meaning that all the enemies [and Mega-Man] had to be programmed how to move the way they do to mimic the NES versions. Everything Mega-Man should be able to do, he does. Plus there are some original enemies we created.

* The setting is the street he lives on [in St. Paul,MN] in case that is important. There are quite a few inside jokes in there, if you don't understand what some places are [Asian Market, Gay-Bar-turned-Classy-Lounge, billboards].

* We made customizable controls. I think the default for jumping is Z and shooting is X. Fullscreen is Esc but that may run slower on older computers.

Windows (3,968 k)

Mac (5,286 k)

HTML (1,581 k)

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

raditts posted:

If you're using the right weapon, every robot master in Megaman 1 goes down in 3 hits.

Only Iceman goes down in 3 hits. I spammed the hell out of Ice Slasher on Fireman and it took a good 6 or 7 shots before that pixelated hellbeast kicked the bucket.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I'm sure most of us have seen this already, but for those who don't pay attention to fan projects: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EC039A1EADC9F1F3

I know i'm a sucker for punishment, cause 95% of the time fan projects never get done, but the MMX fan in me is BEGGING for this to get finalized. The most amazing part of this was when I realized that it isn't a rom hack, but a flash game.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Smoke posted:

That it's a design based on the Greek letter Sigma.

in all my years of playing Megaman X AND of being a math major so that the greek letter Sigma is very familiar to me I have never made this connection.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Swilo posted:

You can't actually input to a game on every frame, certain actions and events will lock the controls (getting hit, scrolling, navigating menus, lag frames, etc) allowing you to control the other games unaffected. String these together with just the right amount of stagger and throw in some wasted movement for the times it doesn't work out and you get something marvelous.
I don't get it. How can he be moving both left and right at the same time?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
There's a lot of ways, pick some timestamps and I can probably explain it. The run is absolutely legit and the videos are perfectly synced.

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

Secks posted:

I posted this a couple years ago but might as well put it here also. A friend and I created a Mega Man game for a friend's birthday.

I did the sprite ripping when applicable and pretty much all the graphics. My friend did all the coding and the original music. This took months to complete. This is our first experience with this kind of stuff and we'd like to make some original games in the future just for fun.

A couple notes:

* We tried to make the game very Mega-Manesque. Even though there are a few surprises, we decided not to stray from the Mega-Man style of play.

* This is a tile-based system. All the movements and everything was created and coded in Flash. My friend coded everything since I am still learning all that. Meaning that all the enemies [and Mega-Man] had to be programmed how to move the way they do to mimic the NES versions. Everything Mega-Man should be able to do, he does. Plus there are some original enemies we created.

* The setting is the street he lives on [in St. Paul,MN] in case that is important. There are quite a few inside jokes in there, if you don't understand what some places are [Asian Market, Gay-Bar-turned-Classy-Lounge, billboards].

* We made customizable controls. I think the default for jumping is Z and shooting is X. Fullscreen is Esc but that may run slower on older computers.

Windows (3,968 k)

Mac (5,286 k)

HTML (1,581 k)

You're really loving cool, you know that?

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord

Secks posted:

A couple notes:

Windows (3,968 k)

Mac (5,286 k)

HTML (1,581 k)

I remember when you first posted this. It was awesome then, and it's still awesome today.

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

in all my years of playing Megaman X AND of being a math major so that the greek letter Sigma is very familiar to me I have never made this connection.
My degree's in math and I didn't get it either until one time when I zoned out and I happened to be staring at my calculator.

Honestly, if the X series ever got an update, I would laugh my rear end off if Capcom busted out characters with either names of other mathematical constructs (like aleph-zero or i) or lesser-known Greek letters like upsilon or digamma. In fact, now that I've typed that down I really want a character in a Mega Man X game named Aleph Zero. That dude would be of infinite potential. You could say... countably infinite potential? :rimshot:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Smoke posted:

Speaking of being a good fan:

It's a good thing you did this, and not something far nerdier I guess since the Sigma logo doesn't look so bad.

Gammatron 64 posted:

One of my college buddies has Zero tattooed on his arm. It makes me cry inside whenever I see it.

I, for one, wouldn't get a tattoo of Zero.

now this makes me wonder if anyone has gotten Zero's booblights tattooed on themselves

Secks posted:

yo can you make a youtube playthrough video of this, I'd love to see it but the only video of it I can find is narrated by an incredibly annoying kid

Also I wish I had an awesome friend like you

edit: man some people get weird tattoos.

And then some people get AWESOME tattoos, found this alongside one of the Megaman tattoos, this must have cost a loving FORTUNE.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Jan 2, 2010

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
What the hell is that first one supposed to be? I've never seen that kind of design for X before.

...and I must salute whoever applied that Samus tattoo, cause that is loving brilliant.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gabriel Pope posted:

Sorry, you're crazy. Of the first six I'd say only Mega Man 4 is as arguably easy as 9 is.

Playing through MM1 now, and considering the last time I played this was about 8-9 years ago so I have little to no memory of the level layouts, after blowing through all the robot masters I can say this is not even a fraction as hard as Megaman 9.

edit: Yellow Devil is still a goddamn whore though.

Blaine the Train posted:

Only Iceman goes down in 3 hits. I spammed the hell out of Ice Slasher on Fireman and it took a good 6 or 7 shots before that pixelated hellbeast kicked the bucket.

Looks like the only two that don't go down in 3 hits are Bombman (vs. Fire) and Fireman (vs. Ice). It could very well be that their weaknesses are switched, but I'm not going to play again to find out. Either way, if you have a full health bar you can easily beat Fireman in a battle of attrition.

raditts fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Jan 2, 2010

FINALmasa
Feb 12, 2006

Ask me about how feminists are feminists because they can't get laid.

Don't worry, I'm not some sexist ass, MRAs are MRAs because they can't get laid either. By the way, I am totally an MRA!

raditts posted:

Either way, if you have a full health bar you can easily beat Fireman in a battle of attrition.

But you don't, unless you do speedruns of the game in your spare time or something. The issue is that in MM1, three hits of basically anything will kill you, you have no invincibility, and there are no E-tanks or stores. I beat MM9 without using Beat or the anti-spike thing, but you could easily stock up on those and get through some of those really rear end in a top hat parts. You can basically tell how easy the game is based on how many E-tanks you can carry. I'd say that 7 and 9 are around the same, but the design philosophy is that MM9 has more instant-death traps, while other games are about knocking you into pits or draining your health. Without cheating, 1 is way harder than 9.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FINALmasa posted:

But you don't, unless you do speedruns of the game in your spare time or something.

Sure you do, if you have an extra life. Even if you have half a health bar you can still squeak by.

Just beat the game by the way. An hour and 26 minutes, no savestates or anything like that, and I haven't played the game in at least 9 years. Not even in the same galaxy of hard as Megaman 9. I'd say the high points of difficulty are the death hole at the beginning of Gutsman's stage, and the goddamn yellow devil (which isn't as hard once you get the pattern down, but is still a bitch). Everything else was piss easy.

Taking on Megaman 2 now. If I remember correctly from whenever I played it last, it's a bitch at parts but the 1up drop rate is ludicrous.

raditts fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 2, 2010

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Captain Invictus posted:

now this makes me wonder if anyone has gotten Zero's booblights tattooed on themselves

My God...

He's got the GBA game version of Zero, so I don't think that one has the boobs. Although you seem to be referring to his boobs on their boobs, which would be horrifying.

I'm never putting nerdy tattoos on my body. It's already pretty amazing that I get laid as is. I need to look as outwardly normal as possible.

Vetinari
Mar 25, 2006

by Fistgrrl

mathaeis posted:

But as far as illustrations go, there are pictures of all the characters, robot masters, stage enemies, ride armors, armor upgrades and then the countless promotional materials as well. Google suggests what you are referring to is from X? The X book has X1-X8, Xtreme 1 and 2, Maverick Hunter X, and Command Mission. If you can specify further maybe I can find more info, I'll keep looking in the mean time though.

e: Oh, random question for you all. In a lot of the artwork, the robot masters are striking a pose with one of their hands stretched out behind them with their fingers spread apart, but their middle and ring fingers touching - sort of making a "W." Despite the couple occasions where a non-bad character ends up in that pose (I just GIS'd for it and the first one I found was Dr. Light, go figure), did anyone think as a kid that it was some sort of Wily gang sign? I don't know, I always thought it was a neat idea.

I really like looking at official art and such, is there a good site out there with scans of the robot masters and such? I'd like to see this "w" pose as well.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

raditts posted:

Taking on Megaman 2 now. If I remember correctly from whenever I played it last, it's a bitch at parts but the 1up drop rate is ludicrous.

Have fun beating the fourth Dr. Wily stage without dying.

(gently caress that boss fight)

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.
Can anyone suggest a Genesis emulator and/or a specific rom for Wily Wars that will actually save the progress correctly? I've tried a couple different roms and a couple emulators, but none seem to actually work when they're supposed to save.

It's especially annoying because I beat Mega Man 1 on the thing before realizing it wasn't saving.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Have fun beating the fourth Dr. Wily stage without dying.

(gently caress that boss fight)

I'm guessing you mean the wall sconces that can only be killed by Crash Bombs. Yeah, just got there, killed all but the last one because apparently two slivers of energy isn't enough to make a bomb. Now THAT's bullshit on a Megaman 9 level.

edit: ...and I'm done with Megaman 2. I didn't remember these games being this retardedly easy. Say, what the gently caress is the meaning of Megaman 2's ending anyway? He kicks Wily's rear end again, then wanders off through the seasons and leaves his helmet on a hill in Amish country?

raditts fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Jan 2, 2010

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Someone translated that Megaman 2 thing where you fight all the robot masters at once. Just got posted.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Blaine the Train posted:

Gutsman goes down in 2 or 3 with the Bomb. Cutman goes down in 2 with Gut. Elecman goes down in 2 with Cut. Iceman goes down in 3 with elec. Bombman (fire) and Fireman (ice) are they only ones that take more than 3.

Although if you do it right and can hit Bombman with both the fireball and the thing that circles around you briefly, it's 3 shots.

EDIT: beaten heavily

Also, to the guy that still can't understand how the megaman's in the 4 at a time are going opposite directions, they aren't. First, emulators allow you to input left/right and up/down at the same time, something the original NES didn't let you do. But most of the time when one is going in one direction and another a different way, one of them is in a state that does no allow input.

For instance, when Megaman is hit, he does that flashy thing and cannot move for a split second. In that brief moment, a different input can be entered so that the other games do something different. Or when he goes through a boss door. That game won't respond to input, but the others will.

Orgophlax fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jan 2, 2010

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Orgophlax posted:

Also, to the guy that still can't understand how the megaman's in the 4 at a time are going opposite directions, they aren't. First, emulators allow you to input left/right and up/down at the same time, something the original NES didn't let you do. But most of the time when one is going in one direction and another a different way, one of them is in a state that does no allow input.
he goes through a boss door. That game won't respond to input, but the others will.
Also, the slide doesn't require directional input--it's just Down+Jump.

Edit: They discuss the techniques in the submission page for that TAS video here.

XkyRauh fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Jan 2, 2010

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Gammatron 64 posted:

He's got the GBA game version of Zero, so I don't think that one has the boobs.

That version of Zero's still wearing a thong though.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

I didn't remember these games being this retardedly easy.

Sounds like Mega Man 9. Seriously, by what token is Mega Man 9 anything but retardedly easy?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:

Gabriel Pope posted:

Seriously, by what token is Mega Man 9 anything but retardedly easy?
By the same token as every other MM game is hard the first time through before you know the levels and patterns.

mathaeis
Dec 16, 2007
severely pro

Vetinari posted:

I really like looking at official art and such, is there a good site out there with scans of the robot masters and such? I'd like to see this "w" pose as well.

Here are a couple for starters:

http://static.gamesradar.com/images...-screenshot.jpg
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img197/3036/normalmetalman7fo.jpg
http://fi.somethingawful.com/is/img197/7299/normalquickman8zv.jpg

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Gabriel Pope posted:

Sounds like Mega Man 9. Seriously, by what token is Mega Man 9 anything but retardedly easy?

Death pits and spikes everywhere? Crazily enough, you can go through several levels in these earlier ones without seeing a single spike. Crazy! I haven't run into a single gently caress-you death trap in these ones so far like in MM9. I would say maybe you're right, maybe it's just because I haven't played MM9 enough, but like I said, it's been enough years since I played these that I have pretty much no memory of the level layouts.

Never mind that you were the one claiming these ones were the hard ones.

raditts fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 2, 2010

Drox
Aug 9, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post
It's not so much that MM9 is harder than the others, but most of the time when it gets you, you die instead of taking damage.

Sockerbagarn
Sep 8, 2007

All makt åt Tengil, vår befriare.

TaurusOxford posted:

I'm sure most of us have seen this already, but for those who don't pay attention to fan projects: http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EC039A1EADC9F1F3

I know i'm a sucker for punishment, cause 95% of the time fan projects never get done, but the MMX fan in me is BEGGING for this to get finalized. The most amazing part of this was when I realized that it isn't a rom hack, but a flash game.

Wow, I can't believe I've missed that. The gameplay looks really fluid and fun. The weapons actually looks useful as well as impressive. Seems like these guys managed to figure out where the X series should have gone.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

raditts posted:

Death pits and spikes everywhere? Crazily enough, you can go through several levels in these earlier ones without seeing a single spike. Crazy! I haven't run into a single gently caress-you death trap in these ones so far like in MM9. I would say maybe you're right, maybe it's just because I haven't played MM9 enough, but like I said, it's been enough years since I played these that I have pretty much no memory of the level layouts.

Never mind that you were the one claiming these ones were the hard ones.

The mere fact that death pits and spikes exist does not constitute much of a threat. There are very few jumps that are even remotely difficult, and in almost all of the tougher ones you can simply wuss out and use Rush Coil or Concrete Shot as a safety platform. And for the cases you can't... well, that Shock Guard is there for a reason.

Also, there are several gently caress-you death traps, yeah. Personally, if I was given a game with a couple of death traps that will kill you one time (if that) before you learn to avoid it, and a game with platforming segments or bosses that will take you several tries to get down unless you are a ridiculously skilled player, I would call the former game easier.

Another thing that I find easier about MM9 is that I think generally it's much easier to do the stages out of order. Admittedly Magma Man is a real bitch both as a stage and as a boss if you're not well-equipped, but other than that order is not nearly as important as it was in most of the NES games. The arm cannon works fine for everyone else even without a lot of practice, and on top of that there are lots of useful weapons that are really effective even against bosses that aren't truly weak to them.

I did only mean to say that the old school games were harder than MM9, but glancing back at that post it looks like I did inadvertently suggest the proposition that they were "retardedly difficult." Mea culpa.

Ichiban Crush
Dec 11, 2004

Titter Titter (Circumflex Underscore Circumflex)
While watching that Mega X episode of the US MegaMan cartoon, I came across this for comparison.

Super Adventure Rockman (Subtitled), a Japan-only series of Dragon's Lair-esque interactive movies on Saturn and PlayStation. Save the number of montages of Rockman readying his blaster, it's watchable, plus you see what happened to the original six robot bosses. Honestly, I'm not sure which version of Megaman I prefer; the American one spouting one-liners, or the one crying over QuickMan's death.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Ichiban Crush posted:

While watching that Mega X episode of the US MegaMan cartoon, I came across this for comparison.

Super Adventure Rockman (Subtitled), a Japan-only series of Dragon's Lair-esque interactive movies on Saturn and PlayStation. Save the number of montages of Rockman readying his blaster, it's watchable, plus you see what happened to the original six robot bosses. Honestly, I'm not sure which version of Megaman I prefer; the American one spouting one-liners, or the one crying over QuickMan's death.

Which had an LP by Oyster

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Smoke posted:

I've also got most of the Bandai Mega Armor toyline, and all of the Bandai Japan-only Battle Network 2 toys(Base Megaman.EXE form in a specific Style, with 3 weapons, Forte and Blues were also released as part of this)

Speaking of Megaman toys, I have a few for sale at the SA-Mart. If anyone reading has any interest in that kind of stuff then please check it out.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3243629

Ichiban Crush posted:

I feel like I should give a shout out to Oyster's excellent LP of the game.
http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/SAR/

Smoke
Mar 12, 2005

Gun Saliva

Schwarzwald posted:

Speaking of Megaman toys, I have a few for sale at the SA-Mart. If anyone reading has any interest in that kind of stuff then please check it out.
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3243629

I've never been a fan of the stuff Jazwares released personally. I have a few of their figures but overall the paintjob and poseability weren't all that great. They did release MMZ's Zero and Command Mission X(Who for some reason has a saber) though. Maybe I've been spoiled by the Bandai stuff.

Here's some of the Bandai stuff. This guy's got pretty much all the Mega Armor figures, and some others as well.

Blaine the Train
Aug 18, 2006
Choo choo, pardner.

Orgophlax posted:

Gutsman goes down in 2 or 3 with the Bomb. Cutman goes down in 2 with Gut. Elecman goes down in 2 with Cut. Iceman goes down in 3 with elec. Bombman (fire) and Fireman (ice) are they only ones that take more than 3.

Although if you do it right and can hit Bombman with both the fireball and the thing that circles around you briefly, it's 3 shots.

Huh I guess you're right, I honestly never counted shots on anyone but Iceman, and with Gutsman I never used Hyper Bomb because it'd take so long to explode.

Wompa164
Jul 19, 2001

Don't write ghouls.
Speaking from the perspective of someone who played MM9 as their first game in the series and absolutely fell in love with the game and the series, MM9 was hard as gently caress during my first runs through. I can basically speedrun the game with my eyes closed now, but if you think MM9 is easy, go hand the controller off to someone who's never played MM9 and have them play Jewel Man's stage. - seriously. That stage (and many others) are beyond "difficult", they're gently caress-you-bullshit (but that's the fun).

Wompa164 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jan 2, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Czar Like Stick
Jul 8, 2004

by mons all madden
I always thought the general rule was that odd-numbered Megaman games are harder and even-numbered Megaman games are easier. That only goes for the original series though.