Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!
You can always change the roller weights in the cvt, I know that lighter weights will gain top end so I would think that heavier weights would be like driving in a lower gear which may help for carrying more weight. I am not a scooter scientist so someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
So I am looking to purchase a 2008 Honda Metro for $800 to replace my Honda PA50II I recently sold as a daily commuter.

Couple questions. Am I getting a steal for the price?

Second what are the odds of getting away without insurance in CA like I did with the moped?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Update: my father like the Vespa LX 50. The dude at the scooter shop was like "Ya this is a 2-stroke so it will have more than enough power for any hill." Gonna test ride it sometime.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

Tigertron posted:

So I am looking to purchase a 2008 Honda Metro for $800 to replace my Honda PA50II I recently sold as a daily commuter.

Couple questions. Am I getting a steal for the price?

Second what are the odds of getting away without insurance in CA like I did with the moped?

Depends, how many miles are on it? What condition is it in? You sure it isn't a Metro II?

As for your second question, don't. For gently caress's sake, moped insurance is cheap as hell.

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us.
Can anyone with a Kymco Super8 150 or agility 125 weight in on fuel efficiency? I have a line on a new 2009 S8 150 for $1990 or a new 2009 Agility125 for $1600. I was leaning towards the 150, but after reading some of the reports on Fuelly, there are people claiming only 38 and 30 MPG after a couple hundred miles??? The 125 has better reports, but I was really digging the bigger scooter.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Trident posted:

Can anyone with a Kymco Super8 150 or agility 125 weight in on fuel efficiency? I have a line on a new 2009 S8 150 for $1990 or a new 2009 Agility125 for $1600. I was leaning towards the 150, but after reading some of the reports on Fuelly, there are people claiming only 38 and 30 MPG after a couple hundred miles??? The 125 has better reports, but I was really digging the bigger scooter.

I have a super 8 150, but unfortunately have no idea what the fuel efficiency is, I just refuel it when needed. 30-38 MPG seems pretty absurd though.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Yeah, the only way I can see the Super 8 150 going only 38 and getting that kind of mileage is if the rider weighs 500 pounds and stops every half mile for another bag of cheetos. I hear good things about the Super 8, but I don't know anyone personally who has one. It's a little sporty-looking for my taste, but I'd still go for the Super 8 rather than the Agility myself. I use my 150cc scoot as my primary vehicle, and I'd sorely miss that extra 25cc, not to mention that the price sounds quite reasonable. Just make sure you have a shop in your town that will work on Kymcos. All of the Honda/Yamaha mechanics where I live do.

(I'd also end up repainting all the body paneling because Kymco makes some really gaudy color choices for the Super 8 but that's not terribly important)

TLG James
Jun 5, 2000

Questing ain't easy
Man what a weird spring.

I was able to ride for one day in February. It was like 65 for a freaky day.

Then I was able to ride yesterday. Almost spring...

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Is there a thread for electric bicycles?

Dick Smegma
Oct 12, 2010

by T. Couchfucker
Hey guys quick question. I have a kymco 50cc zx50 that im having a small problem with.

When I wake up to go to school in the morning I go downstairs and unlock my scooter and its starts right up, no problems. On my way to school I might stop and grab something to drink, when I come back and try to start my scooter no bueno. It does not even "catch" and start to run then die, just cranks cranks cranks cranks cranks cranks cranks cranks, then starts to run after some giving it some gas, im almost afraid im going to kill the battery im cranking it so much. It has a lot of trouble, but this is only on occasion. Sometimes I come out and it starts right up. It has a BRAND NEW week old battery.

Auto-chock? Help goons :(.

Terminal
Feb 17, 2003
The Void

Trident posted:

My wife had an '09 Super8 150 for ~1,800 miles from new. Gas mileage generally seemed in the 80+ range easily, but we never really took too many chances with the microscopic gas tank. Anyone claiming Honda Civic'esque mileage is either failing at math or has a severely stuck auto-choke (and a hole in the gas tank).

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

frunksock posted:

I searched and didn't find one. Start one, perhaps? Couldn't hurt as long as you've got legitimate questions that aren't answered elsewhere.

Dick Smegma posted:

Hey guys quick question. I have a kymco 50cc zx50 that im having a small problem with.
Are you giving it a bit of gas every time you try to start it rather than when it's been just turning over and over without starting? I bought my scoot new and straight from the dealership I had to give it a bit of gas to get it started. I thought that was pretty standard for motorcycle/scooters, but I'll be the first to say that I'm not exactly the best person to ask.

BradleyJamers
Jun 5, 2005
Ask me about my fitness log: PYF Not Workouts

frunksock posted:

There is http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3247228

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Thank you .. I'm more looking for background / recommendations on electric bicycles rather than electric motorcycles, though -- i.e., something that can do like 15mph with a 15 mile range that I can pick up easily.

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Not to be a dick but a regular bicycle can do that pretty much. Like, what is your motivation for wanting an electric one?

niethan fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Mar 13, 2011

Dick Smegma
Oct 12, 2010

by T. Couchfucker

Mushika posted:

I searched and didn't find one. Start one, perhaps? Couldn't hurt as long as you've got legitimate questions that aren't answered elsewhere.

Are you giving it a bit of gas every time you try to start it rather than when it's been just turning over and over without starting? I bought my scoot new and straight from the dealership I had to give it a bit of gas to get it started. I thought that was pretty standard for motorcycle/scooters, but I'll be the first to say that I'm not exactly the best person to ask.

Im confused by this.

Do you hold the gas at 1/4 throttle while trying to start it, or do you pump the throttle a few times then try to start it?

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

niethan posted:

Not to be a dick but a regular bicycle can do that pretty much. Like, what is your motivation for wanting an electric one?
Commuting with a lot of elevation changes. I would like to have the option to not arrive at work all sweaty, and not have to Lance Armstrong my way up extreme hills every day.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
I'm looking for a 49-50cc I can ride without a motorcycle license. I need one that is big enough for a bigger guy( 6'2", 250 ) and I can maybe put an exhaust or other mods onto that will increase the speed/performance a bit ( on my little commute, I go up a pretty steep hill, guessing that plus me being a heavy guy it will be better to have enough power to get me up it ). So basically I'm looking for a 49-50cc that I can put mods on for even more power and a bigger guy won't look ridiculous on.

Any help appreciated.

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Dick Smegma posted:

Do you hold the gas at 1/4 throttle while trying to start it, or do you pump the throttle a few times then try to start it?
I just hold the throttle a bit while holding the break and hitting the electric ignition, though I imagine a good pump or two might do the same if you're using a kick ignition. Probably a good bit less than 1/4; imagine if your engine was running and you gave it just enough gas to move (like when you're stuck in bumper-to-bumper traffic). That's how much throttle I give it when starting, and it's become second nature to me over the last year. It's what was recommended to me at the dealership when I bought my scoot new, even though I didn't really have to at the time (when new it started like a dream). Now that my Fly is a few years old, it really helps to give it that little bit of gas, particularly if it's been cold out. Don't give it too much or you may flood it, though.

Cbear posted:

I'm looking for a 49-50cc I can ride without a motorcycle license. I need one that is big enough for a bigger guy( 6'2", 250 ) and I can maybe put an exhaust or other mods onto that will increase the speed/performance a bit ( on my little commute, I go up a pretty steep hill, guessing that plus me being a heavy guy it will be better to have enough power to get me up it ). So basically I'm looking for a 49-50cc that I can put mods on for even more power and a bigger guy won't look ridiculous on.

Any help appreciated.
It really depends on what country/state you're in when it comes to licensing motorcycles. Where I live, any scooter 49cc or over requires a motorcycle endorsement. Motor-assisted bicycles and mopeds are supposed to be licensed if they can attain a certain speed (I don't remember what it is), but most riders here don't. Cops are really sketchy here with moped laws, though, and I normally recommend my moped friends to stay off of major roads just because of cop hassle.

Really though, if you're a heavier fellow, why not get the motorcycle endorsement and get a bike that can actually get you where you need to go? A 50cc is fun on back-end suburban streets or short urban jaunts, but it's useless for real commutes in my experience. Take the MSF, get your endorsement, get insured, and get a 125cc or larger. You'll have a better and safer ride. A friend that I ride with is about your height and weight and rides a Yamaha Vino 125cc and he loves it, but he's working on getting his top speed up because it just isn't fast enough for most day to day applications, and he's not trying to get on the freeway or anything.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frunksock posted:

Thank you .. I'm more looking for background / recommendations on electric bicycles rather than electric motorcycles, though -- i.e., something that can do like 15mph with a 15 mile range that I can pick up easily.

My experience with electrics is that they're heavy and the batteries don't last nearly long enough, so you end up huffing it up hills anyways because you've drained the batteries.

I'd probably say you're better off with a normal bicycle and some saddlebags with a change of clothes. If it was a shorter commute, then a high end electric bike might be able to make it all the way there, but for 15 miles I don't think you're going to have much luck, especially if you have a bunch of hills.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Z3n posted:

My experience with electrics is that they're heavy and the batteries don't last nearly long enough, so you end up huffing it up hills anyways because you've drained the batteries.

I'd probably say you're better off with a normal bicycle and some saddlebags with a change of clothes. If it was a shorter commute, then a high end electric bike might be able to make it all the way there, but for 15 miles I don't think you're going to have much luck, especially if you have a bunch of hills.
It's about a 10 mile round-trip commute, I just said 15 to have a little leeway. But yeah, it's San Francisco, and I live in the highest part of the city and work at sea level, so it's not the distance so much as it's the elevation changes that has me looking at e-bikes.

I've been reading a lot about them since I posted, and the ones I've been looking at (Sanyo, Karkhoff, and OHM) all seem to be able to do at least 20 miles and that's at maximum assist with hills and what not. I think 5-10 miles even with San Francisco hills should be reliably doable. They also don't seem crazy heavy .. 45 - 55lb. The only thing really giving me pause at this point is the cost, which I can afford, but still, it's a lot of money. There's a shop here that does test rides of a couple of the bigger-name models, so I think that's my next step.

Which ones do you have experience with?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

frunksock posted:

It's about a 10 mile round-trip commute, I just said 15 to have a little leeway. But yeah, it's San Francisco, and I live in the highest part of the city and work at sea level, so it's not the distance so much as it's the elevation changes that has me looking at e-bikes.

I've been reading a lot about them since I posted, and the ones I've been looking at (Sanyo, Karkhoff, and OHM) all seem to be able to do at least 20 miles and that's at maximum assist with hills and what not. I think 5-10 miles even with San Francisco hills should be reliably doable. They also don't seem crazy heavy .. 45 - 55lb. The only thing really giving me pause at this point is the cost, which I can afford, but still, it's a lot of money. There's a shop here that does test rides of a couple of the bigger-name models, so I think that's my next step.

Which ones do you have experience with?

Only some of the older ones, the E-Go and one that my parents have that I can't recall the name of.

I'm used to road bike weights, so 45-55 pounds seems really heavy to me. I also find them sort of uncomfortable, so take everything I say with a grain of salt, as I'm sort of naturally biased against them. It's quite possible that the technology has advanced significantly since the ones I've ridden. A decent length test ride will tell you for sure if it'll work for you.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
Why not just get a regular gas scooter frunk? CA is great for motorcyclists and an older name-brand scooter is going to cost just as much as an electric bike anyway.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

hayden. posted:

Why not just get a regular gas scooter frunk? CA is great for motorcyclists and an older name-brand scooter is going to cost just as much as an electric bike anyway.
Being able to use bicycle lanes, pick up the bike and carry it inside if I wish, park it anywhere for free, etc. I actually already own a motorcycle -- I'll probably give it a shot for this commute (I haven't started the new job yet), but it takes 5-10 minutes to warm up which is really annoying when you're running late for a meeting (as I too-often am), I'd have to pay for parking it, etc.

An e-bike really seems ideal for this situation in every respect except for the purchase price. The price seems more tolerable when I reflect on the fact that at the job I just left, I was paying $200 to $250/mo in gas for my 50 mile round-trip commute in my car, though (yeah, my car gets horrible mileage) .

The other factor is that I'd like to get some light exercise every day without having to set extra time aside for that, but my knees are kind of jacked up, so I feel like pedaling a regular bike up all those steep hills might be too intense, but that an e-bike might be just about right, or at least would let me choose how intense I want it to be by varying the assist level.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

All good reasons, but I want to point out that I've never personally seen a bike that couldn't be ridden immediately after starting with some choke. You might want to get that looked at unless it's just common with your model.

You could also get a pedal moped :) Though I don't know if you can pedal while the engine is going too.

edit: they can it seems with most models, plus this: http://articles.sfgate.com/2005-12-27/entertainment/17404828_1_french-rockers-creatures suggests that people park them like bikes all the time with no problems. Plus you could probably get away using a bike lane if there aren't any actual bikes on it.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 14, 2011

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

It's a thing with my model, or at least it's been that way since it was brand new. It's not safe to ride while choked (turning the handle bars varies the throttle), and the clutch also acts really weird until it's fully warmed up (e.g., putting it into 1st with the clutch lever fully pulled in stalls it, as if the clutch were still at least partially engaged). Technically, it's not actually a choke, since it's a fuel-injected bike, but I forget what they call it .. "fast idle lever" I think :rolleyes: I know most modern bikes aren't like this, though.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Is your kickstand down when trying to put it into first? Some bikes don't like this. Or you could just need to adjust the clutch lever to fully disengage. Sounds like your choke cable is messed up too. Probably needs to be longer or properly secured. Having throttle change when moving bars is very bad, but it sounds like it's just varying the choke which causes the idle to change and the appearance that it's the throttle.

edit: oh there's no choke - is the fast idle cable operated though?

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

PS why is the Honda Express so drat popular? There's a million of them on craigslist at any given time.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

hayden. posted:

Is your kickstand down when trying to put it into first? Some bikes don't like this. Or you could just need to adjust the clutch lever to fully disengage. Sounds like your choke cable is messed up too. Probably needs to be longer or properly secured. Having throttle change when moving bars is very bad, but it sounds like it's just varying the choke which causes the idle to change and the appearance that it's the throttle.

edit: oh there's no choke - is the fast idle cable operated though?
The thing with the clutch is not the kickstand safety cutoff -- I'm familiar with that. Yeah, I think the fast-idle thing is cable-operated, and it's probably as you say, the handlebars moving that cable rather than the throttle cable, but this is actually mentioned in the owner's manual, if I recall -- it's not faulty, it's just the design.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

frunksock posted:

The thing with the clutch is not the kickstand safety cutoff -- I'm familiar with that. Yeah, I think the fast-idle thing is cable-operated, and it's probably as you say, the handlebars moving that cable rather than the throttle cable, but this is actually mentioned in the owner's manual, if I recall -- it's not faulty, it's just the design.

What kind of bike?

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Clank posted:

What kind of bike?
'06 Ducati Monster S2R

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
We cook your meals, we drive your ambulances. We connect your calls, we guard you while you sleep. Do not... fuck with us.
I ended up pulling the trigger on the Super8 150 in green/black. I am not sure when I am going to pick it up quite yet as my new riding pants and gloves are not in, but it was easy stuff. Anyone thinking about using kymco's financing offer through Shefield financial should go for it. Easy peasy.

First task will be to remove those godawful decals. I'm psyched, I had to get rid of my Ruckus over two years ago now.

Circus Pies!
Feb 11, 2011

I thought you were getting me a pie shaped like a clown, instead you mangled my dick!

Trident posted:

I ended up pulling the trigger on the Super8 150 in green/black. I am not sure when I am going to pick it up quite yet as my new riding pants and gloves are not in, but it was easy stuff. Anyone thinking about using kymco's financing offer through Shefield financial should go for it. Easy peasy.

First task will be to remove those godawful decals. I'm psyched, I had to get rid of my Ruckus over two years ago now.

I imagine the jump from a 50cc to a 150cc is like the feeling someone who has lived most of their life in a wheel chair has when they can walk again.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

What do you guys think of these?

BMS Heritage 150

RK Classic II 150

I know they're just chinese clones, but I'm really not looking to spend all that much on one. I'd maybe go up to $1500. Also, where do you guys shop for these? It seems like there are none on my local craigslist. There isn't a dealer in my town, but I' heading out of town next week and there may be one where I'm going. Should I look around there, or are the best deals all online?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you get yourself to a place with a used scooter dealer, you can find yourself a used Honda for $1500 and have a much better scooter than a Chinese knockoff, I think.

Trident
Jun 18, 2004
Yeah that really isn't a safe decision. Even though the dealer may be saying that the scooter is CARB 49 state approved, that may not be the case in reality. There are posts going around ADVrider and other cycle sites now saying that PA is accepting no Chinese certificates of origin for titling at DMV's right now. An old honda is a much safer bet on the mechanical and paperwork side for the same price range as a Chinese mystery scoot.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Thanks for the advice, dudes. Like I said, next week I'll be visiting town that most likely has a used dealership, I'll look there. Got any tips on what to look for or avoid?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

CloFan posted:

Thanks for the advice, dudes. Like I said, next week I'll be visiting town that most likely has a used dealership, I'll look there. Got any tips on what to look for or avoid?

Avoid: anything Chinese
Look for: anything Japanese, or Italian, or Taiwanese

Check out the OP (well, the second post).

$1500 can get you a lot of quality used scooter. I just sold my '07 Vino 125, in very good shape, for a bit less than that (probably could've held off longer and gotten closer to my asking price of $1500, but eh, now it's done).

Coincidentally the guy who bought it has owned a Chinese scooter in the past. In his words, "Never again."

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
If I was home right now, I'd seriously consider buying this one:
RIVA 180

Or this one: CH150

Hell, this isn't a bad deal either, atleast not around here: Vino 125

SpannerX fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpannerX
Apr 26, 2010

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Fun Shoe
Why in the hell? Back on the east coast this would already have been sold:
another Riva 180

Looks to be mint. He must have mistyped an extra 0.