Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

We will never be rid of these stars. But I hope they live forever.

clarabelle posted:

Great Dane trying and failing to deal with a slippery floor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDTiId-RuS4

I love how this giant of a dog is considered a puppy by dane standards

Hah. My Dane does the whole "yawn repeatedly" thing too when he is getting annoyed. :3:

You also have to love YouTube commenents:

quote:

Raising a Dane on slippery floors can cause all type of serious injuries. You do some research.

As if saying that some floors are perpetually slippery, or that research was done on Danes that dwell on icebergs? :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mauer
Mar 19, 2012

Shebrew posted:

Such a cutie! I love the floppy ears that dobermans have when they're not cropped :3:

My wife wanted a badass looking black-and-tan, but I got my way. If you see how expressive dobes are with their ears, you would never want them cropped. Also, chocolate > black and tan

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out

Boru posted:

As if saying that some floors are perpetually slippery, or that research was done on Danes that dwell on icebergs? :psyduck:

Some people have tiled floors throughout their houses, or polished floorboards. I guess the solution is easy though; rugs. :)

somebeachsomewhere
Aug 12, 2006
With a palm tree in the sand
We had a massive mastiff come in to the vet hospital where I work today, and I totally thought of this thread. Easily the biggest dog I've seen, and he was just happy and easygoing the whole time. He weighed 208 pounds. :eek: I wish I had gotten a picture...

Cat Plant
Feb 11, 2007

There used to be green cats but they turned into plants because they slept too much.

clarabelle posted:

I love how this giant of a dog is considered a puppy by dane standards

:3: She just meeeelllllttts off the chair and has her head off the floor like "What. I'm awake."

So gorgeous. Loving these big dogs.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

clarabelle posted:

That's just adorable. And I love what those ears do on the first yawn. I like the whole slide off the chair thing. Big dogs :3:.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The only danger in that video is cuteness overload.

And I totally remember the day Balen saw husband after he'd been gone for a straight freaking year in Iraq. He broke the screen door, dove off the porch and flew straight at his head. Knocked him over, laid on him and wriggled like a puppy for about five minutes. Amy was just an armful of pup. She found a clump of grass and went and hid in it. Took us like 20 minutes to actually find her dumb rear end and as soon as husband picked her up, she peed on him.

Mrfreezewarning
Feb 2, 2010

All these goddamn books need more descriptions of boobies in them!

Mauer posted:

My wife wanted a badass looking black-and-tan, but I got my way. If you see how expressive dobes are with their ears, you would never want them cropped. Also, chocolate > black and tan

Also their ears are the softest things in the world!

I just wish that when I was looking at breeders before buying my big male that I could of gotten one without a docked tail. I contacted every reputable doberman breeder within two states of mine and every one of them refused to sell me a pup with an intact tail. It may sound like a little detail, but I paid 600 dollars to make sure I got a pup with no history of genetic defects in his bloodline and it kind of seems like I should have the right to make that choice with my dog. Does anyone know why Dobermans usually have docked tails other than because of their violent history?

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Well then, here's our Tibetan Mastiff Turre. 4 years old, 65 kilograms and all. He was the dumb-looking puppy who no-one wanted so my mother decided to take him home (the decision literally happened over the course of a single day). It's great fun to own a slow, hugem friendly dog (huge enough to weigh more than I do, although that's more my fault than his).

Unfortunately I don't have any very recent photos, so you'll have to do with ones that are roughly 2-3 years old. He hasn't changed much since, though.

(Large images, beware!)

(Those are Turre's brother Viiru and sister Silvi)

And of course the official cute puppy photo:

AS far as I can tell he's been living a very happy life, what with us living in the middle of a forest. However, he was diagnosed with diabetes a year ago, and he's been developing cataract ever since, enough that he's practically blind currently. He manages pretty well, though, since he knows where everything is and he's already old enough to have set on his ways; guests generally don't even notice anything until they look at his eyes. Hopefully this doesn't sound cruel to some; we're certainly aware that at some point it just gets too bad (although my parents have hard time admitting it, what with Turre living with them and generally being their best friend).

Anyway, I just started wondering if there are people here with similar experiences; is diabetes a common disease in large dogs (or perhaps just tibetan mastiffs)? What did you do in a situation like this, and did your dog do well despite losing his/her eyesight?

clarabelle
Apr 9, 2009

Hempuli posted:

Anyway, I just started wondering if there are people here with similar experiences; is diabetes a common disease in large dogs (or perhaps just tibetan mastiffs)? What did you do in a situation like this, and did your dog do well despite losing his/her eyesight?

I didn't have a big dog, but our spaniel started developing cataracts at (I think) 10 years old. At one point she temporarily went completely blind, which was awful because she was bumping into things all the time (we made her a doggy crash helmet so she wouldn't get hurt), but then her sight came back. It's not so bad when it comes on gradually. For a while, she could still get around fine, it just meant things were fuzzy, then later she wouldn't recognise us until we were right up close to her. When her sight went completely, she identified us by smell (she also went deaf). The thing with it happening gradually was that she learned to navigate around the house without good eyesight, so when her sight went completely, she could get around without too much trouble. We'd often see her following a scent trail to find someone. It was only at the very end of her life when her mind was pretty much gone that she started not knowing where she was, which was heartbreaking, we couldn't leave her alone in a room in case she got lost and panicked. But the fact remains, she lived another 5 years, and was (for the most part) perfectly happy

One recommendation I've seen is to put differently scented sachets at the entrances to rooms, so that the dog can identify their location by smell. Best to do that while your dog still has some vision though, it helps them get used to it

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

Inyourbase posted:

Does anyone know why Dobermans usually have docked tails other than because of their violent history?
I'm not 100% sure of this, but my dad told me when I was a kid that part of it is they have fairly whip like tails for dogs, and they aren't that good at keeping track of where they are swinging it. There was a rescue dobie with an intact tail locally and it looked pretty thin, and the last 2 dobies my family has had suggest this may be true since they were great at knocking random stuff over with their asses. Mine even took out the glass in a barrister bookcase when she was a pup, though thankfully she was not hurt at all. 'Fashion' is probably a big part of it though.

And yeah intact ears are the best, it's so great how expressive they can be. The last two (siblings) my family has had were also extremely vocal, they would back sass you if they were in the mood (not growling mind you, just general griping sounds, like the dog equivalent of 'UUUUGH'). Unfortunately mine's health really deteriorated rapidly back in Feb and she had to be put down. I really miss that crazy mutt.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

And I totally remember the day Balen saw husband after he'd been gone for a straight freaking year in Iraq. He broke the screen door, dove off the porch and flew straight at his head. Knocked him over, laid on him and wriggled like a puppy for about five minutes. Amy was just an armful of pup. She found a clump of grass and went and hid in it. Took us like 20 minutes to actually find her dumb rear end and as soon as husband picked her up, she peed on him.
I really love this story.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Hempuli posted:

Oh dear.

My black lab Max got diabetes, and it tore him apart within a few months. As long as your boy's on insulin and everything stays normal, I wouldn't worry too much. If he starts having seizures or spells where he wanders around aimlessly, things are getting bad. As far as getting around, Max never had a problem short of the very end, and his cataracts had gotten awful. He could almost catch an ice cube right up to the last days.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

i want to lock it all up in my pocket it's my bar of chocolate
Sunday is having her spay/gastropexy surgery tomorrow, finally. I feel retarded for being so worried but I am super nervous about it.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Hempuli posted:

I don't personally own a large dog but I do have some positive news... Many dogs that lose their sight can continue to do quite well! Additionally, cataracts aren't like glaucoma in that they aren't a painful disease - even in their advanced stages they may cause inflammation but don't cause increased intraocular pressure, which is the biggest source of eye pain. It's even possible to restore some sight to animals with cataracts with ophthalmological surgery. Even if they're essentially blind, though, many dogs can get around just fine after they have a little while to get used to where things are, so long as you don't move the furniture, etc too much.

As for diabetes, it's common mostly in overconditioned (essentially, fat) animals rather than larger dogs, though some breeds are more predisposed to it than others. So long as it's well-controlled, an animal with diabetes can lead a long, happy and healthy life, it just does require a bit more monitoring, much like in people. On the plus side, since most dogs are on a regular portion of the same food every day, then it gets a lot easier to standardize a dose of insulin they need, meaning it's a lot easier to keep the disease from progressing.

Also, as an aside, your dog is gorgeous.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Sunday is having her spay/gastropexy surgery tomorrow, finally. I feel retarded for being so worried but I am super nervous about it.

Hey, surgery is surgery. Even if it's something that's fairly routine. She'll be alright. She'll just be an even bigger bitchy teenager while she has to stay still forever.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Just dropped Sunny off at the vet. Once she figured out I wasn't going to go in the room with her she totally flipped out and fought so hard to come back to me. :( loving dog broke my stupid heart.

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
I'm sorry Veruca :( Sunday will be fine though :)

I haven't been following this thread a whole lot. Why does Sunday need Gastropexy and what is it?

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

A Sleepy Budgie posted:

I'm sorry Veruca :( Sunday will be fine though :)

I haven't been following this thread a whole lot. Why does Sunday need Gastropexy and what is it?

It's a preventative measure since Danes are so prone to bloat. It's literally tacking her stomach to her ribs so that it can't twist around.

Just got the word that she's under anesthesia now, freaking out a little. :(

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Veruca Salt posted:

It's a preventative measure since Danes are so prone to bloat. It's literally tacking her stomach to her ribs so that it can't twist around.

I know "don't worry" sounds a bit trite but . . . don't worry: my dane Gus had the same thing and it went fine. I guess it's a fairly common procedure among the bloat-prone danes, but she'll be up and her usual (presumably) :hurr: self before too long!

When Gus went in for the surgery it was because he swallowed a sock whole and couldn't get it up :v:. While he was under for that we figured , "Welp may as well neuter him and pin his stomach while you're at it."

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

Think about after. Think about how grumpy and sleepy she's going to be tonight and how drat adorable that's going to be. Her lips will be puddles on either side of her head.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Think about after. Think about how grumpy and sleepy she's going to be tonight and how drat adorable that's going to be. Her lips will be puddles on either side of her head.

I will try and think of these things instead of all the things that could possibly go wrong. :ohdear:

A Sleepy Budgie
Jan 6, 2010

A friend in need
is a friend indeed
:unsmith:
Aren't all big dogs at risk of bloat? Or is it just the large ones with big chest cavities, which can cause the stomach to twist? Or also for any dog that eats too quickly? I guess I don't understand how exactly it happens. When I worked at the kennel, we had a dane that boarded who had to eat her food elevated. In addition, we soaked it in very hot water (of course waiting a while before giving it to her) and then added wet food. Is this part of the procedure to prevent bloat or just an owner's feeding preference?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I prefer elevated feeding but toward the beginning of the thread, we actually had a brief debate about it. Some people do it, others don't, but I wouldn't board at a place that wouldn't do it if I asked.

http://www.globalspan.net/bloat.htm That's a good primer. It can happen in any dog supposedly, but it's usually the deep chested larger than mid-sized dogs that it happens to.

E: Even that link says that elevated feeding can be a cause. But floor level feeding can be a cause too. Basically you want to feed in whichever way your dog takes in the least amount of air. That's elevated for my danes.

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

The vet just called and Sunday is out of surgery. They told me to call back in 2 hours to make sure she's ready to go home. I asked if she was awake and they said yes but her temperature is quite low. I kind of freaked out and they told me it's normal for having been under anesthesia for awhile and not to worry. But of course I'm worried-- am I overreacting or is it actually normal?

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

The vet just called and Sunday is out of surgery. They told me to call back in 2 hours to make sure she's ready to go home. I asked if she was awake and they said yes but her temperature is quite low. I kind of freaked out and they told me it's normal for having been under anesthesia for awhile and not to worry. But of course I'm worried-- am I overreacting or is it actually normal?

IANAV but Gabriel was pretty cool when he came out of anesthesia after his castration way back when. They gave him a kitty sized heating pad and he growled when they tried to take him off it.

CyO
Oct 11, 2007
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana!

Veruca Salt posted:

Totally normal. In most places it's SOP to wake animals up from anesthesia under a heat lamp or on a heating pad because their body temperature drops. It's part of the reason they can't go home right as soon as they wake up from surgery.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

IANAV but Gabriel was pretty cool when he came out of anesthesia after his castration way back when. They gave him a kitty sized heating pad and he growled when they tried to take him off it.

It happens pretty often. It's not the IDEAL but it's not likely to cause anything bad to happen. Big dogs are very hard to keep warm during surgery because they've got so much surface to lose heat from.

She just needs to wake up a bit more and get moving to get herself warmed up and she'll be all right I'm sure!

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

My little princess is on her way home!

She's only 91lbs, the vet told us to increase her food by 10%. She eats 8-10 cups of food a day, I guess I have to figure out how to get her to eat more.

Shebrew
Jul 12, 2006

Is it a party?

Veruca Salt posted:

She's only 91lbs, the vet told us to increase her food by 10%. She eats 8-10 cups of food a day, I guess I have to figure out how to get her to eat more.

Yay! I'm glad everything went smoothly for your little (91 lbs!) girl :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Veruca Salt posted:

She looks way serious. :3:

How tall is she at the withers right now anyway? and jeez. She's stubborn about breaking that 100 lb mark.

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Veruca Salt posted:

That looks A LOT like my Gus! How cute! I'm gad she's doing okay.

Yeah Gus is lanky, but he's at 2 years old and never broke the 125 mark. I'm okay with that, though, if it means he'll live a bit longer. :3:

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

Veruca Salt posted:

That is the "I Don't Want To Talk About It" face for sure.

AcetylCoA!
Dec 25, 2010

This showed up in my facebook feed; figured it was appropriate

Veruca Salt
Jul 19, 2004

Sunday seems to be recovering well, but she is super grumpy.

One plus out of this whole thing is that the pain meds make her so groggy that I get to cuddle and kiss her like I could when she was a puppy before she became an rear end in a top hat. :)

Lanky_Nibz
Apr 30, 2008

Not my dogs or motorcycle, but crossposting this from the motorcycle thread:

My wife brought this photo to my attention. :3:

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Well, we win again, dane owners:

http://news.yahoo.com/photos/giant-george-great-dane-holds-record-for-tallest-dog-in-the-world-slideshow/giant-george-photo-1334258495.html

:3: Look at that big blue lug.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Yes, but could you imagine the size of the poops he makes? Or having to clean them up?!?

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Went to my local Humane Society to drop off a stray cat, and I saw some Danes!

Their names were Clem and Luna :3:

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

They look so sad, I hope someone adopts them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quastenflosser
Sep 7, 2011

Radio! posted:

Went to my local Humane Society to drop off a stray cat, and I saw some Danes!
I was volunteering there today and made sure they got lots of pets and treats :3: