Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike
Man, Zophar's Eldritch horror exoskeleton thing horrified little me. :( Also him vaporizing all the water made me sad, because I figured the poor fishies were all surely dead. :ohdear: :smith: I was a weird kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.

Galick posted:

I was always really really disappointed in that Zophar design, even in the remake. But, I absolutely adore his lair design as a whole. Looking forward to the next segment!

Also you have a broken italics tag, no beginning tag on it. Specifically this: Come, my pet. Why do you hesitate? There is no need. Destroy everything you've come to love. Complete your mission!

I thought Zophar was scary as hell as a kid, but looking back at it now the design is just... kind of goofy. Still, really awful 90's CGI does not help. Also thank you. Oops!

Mazed posted:

I'm just now catching up to the Lunar 2 LPs, and I'm still a few updates back, but I just need to say: Camel Pimp, you are doing an amazing job with this. Your LP production values, as it were, are far beyond what the page count of this thread would seem to indicate, and you've struck about the perfect balance between commentary and letting the game speak for itself.

Thank you! I'm always really worried people don't like this or that and just not saying anything, so it's nice to hear any feedback, especially positive.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
Pretty sure that Zophar is supposed to look all David Bowie like because he absorbed the power of a goddess. That's why he has Althena's long flowing blue hair and stuff.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

You know, now that I think about it, Bowie isn't the best comparison, being that Bowie is actually attractive and all. Perhaps...

Oh god why did I make this.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Oh god im not sleeping tonight

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Mercury_Storm posted:

Pretty sure that Zophar is supposed to look all David Bowie like because he absorbed the power of a goddess. That's why he has Althena's long flowing blue hair and stuff.

THIS. Zophar wants Althena's power so he can make a world of his design, as he states in his evil villain monologue there. However, Althena is dead, her power lost/sealed away, so his only method of gaining his desire is to awaken Lucia and use her ability to access/seize Althena's power to claim it for himself.

Zophar intentionally awakens Lucia early on the Blue Star because he knows who and what Lucia is. Much like the Dragons, Lucia is utterly dedicated to her designated role. As such, she most certainly would have used Althena's power without reservation if permitted to claim it right out the gates.

The whole cursing of her at the beginning of the game was a calculated gambit on Zophar's part to weaken Lucia's resolve and enable him to overcome her and claim Althena's power for himself.

I love how well Lucia played into his hand and the way he uses the "defrosting the ice queenPrincess" trope against the player to win. It's a big part of what makes me love Zophar as a villain and this game so much.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Alkarl posted:

Man, Zophar's Eldritch horror exoskeleton thing horrified little me. :( Also him vaporizing all the water made me sad, because I figured the poor fishies were all surely dead. :ohdear: :smith: I was a weird kid.

I found this visual to be really cool, because the crater-ridden terrain is very obviously supposed to be the desolate surface of a moon -- the Silver Star before Althena arrived. It's a great way to take advantage of the setting's backstory to show how literally the whole world is now at stake.

It helps that the lunar surface is something that we're familiar with through all kinds of real-life media, so it's a great way to get that audience reaction: "gently caress, he's turning the moon back into the moon :gonk:"

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I never looked forward to seeing Zophar. Him being a worse looking Zuul or some towering hydra. The bad 90's CGI look is still better than his face.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Jenner posted:

I love how well Lucia played into his hand and the way he uses the "defrosting the ice queenPrincess" trope against the player to win. It's a big part of what makes me love Zophar as a villain and this game so much.

You'd almost be willing to brush it off as lazy writing to pull a 'just as planned' here, too, but then you look back and realize: Ghaleon is working for Zophar right now. Ghaleon's every movement has been to try to push Hiro and Lucia closer together, to try to force them into a situation where they bond further, which further weakens Lucia's resolve.

The pieces of the plan are all there, visible, from the start.

It's a shame he's so unappealing, visually.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
This is the first time I've seen this story (past playing up to about the first time you hit Pentagulia in the remake) and I would just like to point out, knowing now what Lucia's plan was from the get-go, she actually was the Destroyer after all.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Choco1980 posted:

This is the first time I've seen this story (past playing up to about the first time you hit Pentagulia in the remake) and I would just like to point out, knowing now what Lucia's plan was from the get-go, she actually was the Destroyer after all.
Oh god, she was. :suspense: And even with all the manipulation to make her closer to Hiro, she was still this close to destroying all of Lunar to stop Zophar. She should consider herself lucky that she didn't go around yelling "I must kill everyone on the planet to stop Zophar!" while she was still in her 'stupid beep boop alien lady' phase.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

It kinda makes it look like Lucia was a sociopath liar early on, doesn't it?

Which, I realize, isn't the intent or point. It's more of the point that she doesn't understand what she's saving. Although it's kind of awful to think that Lucia, early on, doesn't feel the need to disclose the plan entirely not because the humans will freak out, but because the humans' opinions simply do not matter.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
To be fair, she didn't view herself as the Destroyer of humanity, but as the savoir of Lunar. She simply didn't give much of a crap about humans themselves, and let's face it, it was humanity that led to Zophar's ascension both now and in the destruction of the Blue Star, so she could be excused for not thinking twice about what would happen to the people at first. She had to learn what Althena already knew, that while most humans are dicks, there's also some good ones that more than make up for the rest of the perverts and assholes on the planet.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

This whole discussion is just the perfect case in point of how Lunar takes the most cliched poo poo and actually makes them work so well.

Plucky romantic hero, distant-at-first love interest, one antagonist of the honorable-yet-flawed variety and another antagonist manipulating events with as much gloating theatricality as he can muster (both of whom present the hero with different kinds of challenges), a stew of supporting good guys and bad guys to flesh out the world and play off one another, and of course the godlike embodiments of good and evil as actual characters behind it all, with good being passive and relying on the protagonists to grow in strength and act in its name, while evil is an active presence but relying on minions who cannot grow as the heroes can (and if they do at all, it inevitably ends up being towards redemption rather than becoming a greater threat, as evil is egomaniacal and could never stand to be overshadowed)

This could all be incredibly tiresome if 1) the cliche'd-ness of the cast wasn't perfectly justified by their motivations, relationships, and development arcs, and 2) it actually tried taking itself seriously and wasn't a shameless goofball cartoon from start to finish.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait. If Althena left her power in the humans, couldn't Zophar just drain a bunch of humans instead of Lucia?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
He wants to drain Lucia too. In case you don't remember, she pretty much has a direct line with all the magic in the world (infinite MP) and she's quite literally a living nuke in terms of capabilities. Easier to get it all in one spot!

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

Glazius posted:

Wait. If Althena left her power in the humans, couldn't Zophar just drain a bunch of humans instead of Lucia?

Galick posted:

He wants to drain Lucia too. In case you don't remember, she pretty much has a direct line with all the magic in the world (infinite MP) and she's quite literally a living nuke in terms of capabilities. Easier to get it all in one spot!

I theorize that Zophar, until now in the plot, was still semi-sealed away seeing as the villains have been spending a lot of their time, up until now, trying to revive Zophar. So he probably and didn't have quite that much power to just suck up all magic. It could also be an ability that's out of his domain, he's a God of destruction, hate, evil, and despair so his powers are probably mostly tied to abilities of that nature.

In fact, like Galick, I believe that this "suck up all magic" thing is an ability unique to Lucia (and in the remakes Althena :geno:.) She's very much equivalent to a Dragon of Magic in my opinion. (Perhaps a minor goddess of magic? The Manga states she's divine but the games/the characters in the games do not and I doubt that would be something that Zophar or Ghaleon wouldn't let drop to further kick Hiro in the balls at this point in the game.)

Even if Zophar had that ability it just doesn't seem his style. The power of Althena is too fragmented and split off in too many ways and doing that just seems so... brutish. Zophar seems to get his rocks off on manipulating from the shadows and causing people to do evil either by making them do evil (Mauri), tempting them to do evil (Borgan) or just enabling their already villainous aspirations (Lunn). Now maybe this was just because of his condition at the time (was still reviving) but I'm sure it suited him just fine. I suspect nuking Lucia out of the gates probably expended a lot of his power which he was probably storing until this confrontation.

In summary, it really seems most of the "Divine" elements in Lunar are very limited/bound to their roles and take it very seriously.

Choco1980 posted:

I honestly think this would have been an incredibly awesome twist. When I first played this game in my youth I was on my feet cursing because I was pretty sure Lunar had just subverted the gently caress out of some tropes and had just revealed that the hot anime Love Interest was the villain playing you all along. (I still think this would be a great twist and look forward to the JRPG that does it.)

Instead it's more a case of what Camel Pimp says here:

Camel Pimp posted:

It kinda makes it look like Lucia was a sociopath liar early on, doesn't it?

Which, I realize, isn't the intent or point. It's more of the point that she doesn't understand what she's saving. Although it's kind of awful to think that Lucia, early on, doesn't feel the need to disclose the plan entirely not because the humans will freak out, but because the humans' opinions simply do not matter.

Lucia's priority is the Blue Star and she establishes herself as something other than human out the gate. Referring to Hiro and company as Humans and often speaking of the nature of humans/humanity with disapproval or confusion. As such, Humans to her were very much a non-concern and a non-entity. This is definitely an awful thing but it can obviously be rectified and changed as shown throughout the game with her warming up to her friends and learning to care and give a gently caress about their problems despite the urgency of her task.

As such, Lucia's Space Racism is merely a symptom of Lucia's isolation and internalization of/commitment to her Duty. She had blinders on and wasn't really in a place to see beyond her goals. To her, the ends justified the means and she never even looked at other options/solutions, it wasn't in her nature. However, as she grows more and more fond of the world of Lunar and its people she becomes more and more conflicted and starts dragging her feet, putting it off, and permitting distraction. As such, I think this is less of a "She's was the Destroyer all along" (because that is still Zophar) and more of a "Lucia just doesn't get it" (like Nall and Ghaleon BOTH tell her.)

She may have been more like a Destroyer pre-Zulan, but she definitely isn't one now. (And her being named the Destroyer really was a lie by Zophar to put Leo in her path to facilitate Zophar's aims.)

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Chapter 42: Pages From a Self-Help Booklet

Welcome back! Last time, well, everything happened. So now-

: ...
: Lucia used the last ounce of her power to transport the Destiny and save us. But, now she's enslaved to that maniac Zophar. Hiro, we've wasted three days. We need to do something! Go see Miria. Maybe she has some idea of where we can start.

Well, thank you Exposition Fairy! Let's do that right now!

: Please, go find my daughter Lemina. She's such an impulsive girl. I know that she'd like Borgan, if she'd just get to know him.

First off, no, secondly, I don't think he's the problem right now...

: But that floating dump is a loser! I know it! Just say 'no.'
: You don't understand. Borgan has a heart of gold. He's just not very good at relating to others.

"He's a good guy; he just has no empathy."

: Please, just find Lemina and let her know I'll be fine. Once you find her, please come back and let me know she understands. I don't want to worry about her...

Oh. Okay. Guess we can check up on her.

: ...at least that's the way it seems now that he has the power of Althena. But I'll give it my best, because I believe in the power of good. And, I have good people to fight alongside. Wish me luck, diary... I'll be needing it. Lee Lee

You know, I think she's gonna be okay.

Okay, fine, we'll actually go look for her. Besides, we're going to need to track down everyone else, too.

And also everything else.

: But you ignorant fools have lost all your magic power! Do you know why you lost your magic? Hm? It was because Lucia has gained the power of Althena to fight Zophar. All the world's power is at her command.

I'm not sure why Borgan is expositing this poo poo at us, but, just for posterity, Lucia took everyone's magic, not just the party's. Oh, and if you recall, she got captured. And now both her and her massive amount power is at Zophar's disposal. Good job, Lucia.

: ...haaaay.... <hick> Didja see 'im? I heard thad Zophar is here to deestroy tha world! Now thad hee's mack... <hick> back, monstur attacks are up all ovur! Idd's nodd even safe ta go out an' gedd uh... <hick> drink!

As you might have guessed, the people are dealing with the situation however they can. For the most part, most of the townsfolk are just repeating information we already know in a none too interesting way. Still, it's worth talking around. Let's hit up the library first.

: Which one of these books has that story? It sounds like a page-turner!
: Gramps, it's not a story, this is really happening!

: I think it's about time they put Sally Struthers out to pasture before she explodes.

Hi 90's reference. Again. How many of you know who Sally Struthers is, anyway? Hell, I only really know the name; I'm not familiar with anything she's actually done.

: You know, I thinks she's from the Blue Star!

No, really?

: Cousin Bob liked matches too much, I guess.

I hope he pissed on the ashes.

: They said Zophar has come back to our world and will soon destroy us all!
: Zip it, kiddo! Get a grip on yourself! No one's gonna die while Ronfar's on the case. Take my word for it. If you believe in us, we'll be able to defeat this dude!
: So then, the Goddess Althena is still protecting us?
: Of course, kiddo. I may be a gambler, but I'm not a liar!

He said, lying. Also, hey, we found Ron already.

: The Goddess Althena has made this world beautiful and she watches over it always.

And considering what just happened, he's surprisingly optimistic.

: Just because Zophar is threatening our world doesn't mean it's over! We've got to all come together and face him in a united front. I may not know a heck of a lot about magic, but I'm one lucky guy... and Hiro, you're a great fighter! C'mon! Let's get the gang together and put up a fight Zophar'll never forget! Whaddya say, chief? I say, if we have to go out, at least go out fighting!

Considering how dreary most of the townsfolk are, it's nice to see at least someone with a positive attitude, if nothing else.

: There are those that have already given hope and are waiting for the end. But my dice are hot, and I know we can pull this baby out of the fire! C'mon chief! Let's get the gang together and fight for our world! Go see if you can talk the others into it.

: If you don't throw away your hope at the first sign of trouble, you have a chance. You must strip Zophar of his power to crush our world!

That's, uh, easier said that done. But thanks for the vote of confidence, I guess.

: That means he has the power to destroy and to create. Now, he will abolish our world and recreate it to his desire... just thinking about it scares me!

Actually, since it's been three days, why hasn't he done that? Has he just been laughing manically all this time?

...actually, he is a Lunar villain, so, yeah, I'd believe that.

: The Blue Star. If our world disappears, the Blue Star will remain lifeless. Lucia, the guardian of the Blue Star, will come not to save our world, but hers. She must protect our world, to insure hers can be restored one day... well, anyway, that's the gist of the legend. I don't remember it too well.

Well, gosh, it's as though Lucia's motivation hasn't been entirely altruistic. Also, I think WD might have screwed something up here, because it seems weird that the name "Lucia" was part of Lunar folklore before she even came, but who knows?

: Why doesn't someone just catch him and put him in jail? Isn't that where bad people are supposed to go?

Do they even make jails that can hold gigantic demon snake monsters? (Or... whatever that blue hair monstrosity is now.)

: I heard she even tried to steal the power of Althena to destroy us! But she looked so kind and harmless. How could she be a destroyer of worlds?
: She's not! There's something bigger than you or I can see going on here!!

As the thread has pointed out, she was a destroyer. Kinda. Albeit she didn't really see it that way (at first, anyway.)

In case you were wondering, no, we can't leave. At least we're in the city with the best item shop in game.

: And the guy looked quite stern. I think his name may have been Howard...

Wait, why would you think his name is Howard- oh. Oh. Ha ha, Working Designs. (I wonder how many younger readers will get that reference.)

But, hey, we found Jean! I have no idea why she can't practice above ground and not in the cave with the lovely music, but I guess she's a special flower that way.

: Remember when you fight that the real enemy lies within yourself. If you let your fear take hold of you, you'll be powerless to stop him. Control your fear and your victory will be assured.

: Jean, once Zophar is defeated, you must forget all that I have taught you. Learn from my mistakes and pursue the true teachings of Althena instead. You must never again use the black karate of death.

She's just running into him, but they're supposed to be training. Ah, limited sprite animations.

: It's the only way that I can know if my skills are truly complete. I must know before my battle with Zophar!

: This will be my last time I use Blue Dragon Karate. Once we've defeated Zophar, I will never again practice this deadly ancient art. The knowledge will die with me.

Aw, no more face punching? :(

: Lucia cannot die! We must all band together to save her from this fate! If she dies, our world is certain to perish also! We must find a way to overcome Zophar!

Like Ronfar, it doesn't seem like Jean's backing down either. Then again, a hydrogen bomb couldn't take out this woman. I thought this was supposed to be a "comfort the party at their lowest point" but everyone's all ready up and determined. Hm.

Oh, and interestingly enough you can buy stuff from the Meribian item shop here. The only reason this is here is if you want to buy Starlights, as Vane only sells Silverlights. Well, okay, Meribia also sells the full assortment of status recovery items, and Vane does not, but it's been so long since I needed anything like that. Eh.

: Oh no, I've said too much.
: ...You haven't said enough.

I dunno, this seems like a pretty apt time to lose your religion.

: ... ...say. Does it administer spankings by any chance? I'm certain that any reputable destroyer should. I'm really in need of one in the worst way. I've been quite naughty...

...keep living the dream, lady.

Oh, and we actually found the person we were supposed to find. Groovy.

: That's like a wallet with no money. Oh, this will never do... I've got to concentrate and get back my magic power! Eeeee... iiii.... ha!

And despite being the one most reliant on magic, she's not given up either.

: Why does Lucia need to take all the magic power for herself? Can't she leave some for me? After all, it is the nice things to do, and I am in such a bind!
: Oh well, sorry to talk your ear off with complaints, Hiro. Guess I'll just have to work extra hard to drum up some magic, huh?

I guess we're skipping the pity party section. Awesome.

Well, we didn't actually tell Lemina what Miria told us to tell her, but that message was stupid and Miria's stupid, so whatever.

: They're never going to surrender our world to Zophar. They believe in the power of each other, and have the will to overcome anything. You taught them that, Hiro.
: ...!?
: But if you forget to believe in yourself, Lucia truly will be lost. And none of us wants to see that...
: But... Miria... I... I...

So, we're not picking the party up from our lowest point, they're picking Hiro up. Yeap, he's the one getting angsty time. Well, as much angst as a blank semi-mute can, anyway.

: Shh! I'm still not sure this is the right thing to do, because I was told not to tell anyone is this, but I think you're just what this person needs right now. Go to the roof. Someone waiting there....[sic]

Miria, you're babbling. Are you drunk?

: Go! Quickly now... see for yourself... on the roof.

Drunk or possibly had a stroke. All right, whatever, let's discover the super secret awesome character who's on the roof. I hope it's Batman.

Oh. It's just Leo.

: I will not stand on the sidelines and let this happen! Hiro, I decided to join forces with you! Let's go!

loving finally.

: But, now that Zophar has gained Althena's power, I cannot sit and watch. I feel that I am responsible in part for this. After all, I served in Althena's Guard. In fact, I was serving the lord of evil himself, Zophar. Hiro, when we fought, White Knight Leo of Althena's Guard died. Please let me fight at your side a fellow crusader for justice! The Destiny awaits... please consider my request.

A little slow on the uptake there, Ruby.

: If we all gather together, Zophar won't stand a chance of winning!
: Hiro?!

You know, I did say this was Hiro's turn to angst, but considering that he expresses every emotion through ellipses, I'm not sure if he's just thinking about The Wire or something.

And suddenly, we hear another familiar voice.

: Ha, ha, ha, ha,! My, my... looks like the hero doesn't pass muster in our little morality play... how delightful!

: Ghaleon!

: Ha! Frankly, I'm a bit disappointed that you didn't put up a better fight. The whole world now awaits execution at Zophar's hand. But that's too good for you; you're not worthy to live for Zophar's judgement!

: Look into the eyes of your executioner, Hiro!

This day really couldn't get any worse, could it?

: I just might be persuaded to tell Lucia you died bravely. She calls your name in her sleep, you know...
: Lucia... calls for me?
: Yes... pathetic, isn't it? The poor girls has no taste at all it seems. But, no matter. You'll soon be out of the picture... forever. But first, I'll let you watch as I kill every citizen of Vane. There's really no pleasure in doing it if you're all, well... dead. Watch in horror as I give you a preview of the show Zophar has planned! See you soon... ha ha ha!

: We're in deep guacamole! Ghaleon didn't sound like he was bluffing!
: He won't get away with this! C'mon Ruby. We're going to stop him, or die trying!

All right, Hiro's rejoining team kickass! :black101:

: Descendants of this city lived in shame for years because of his actions. But, I always felt he must have regretted his course after it was too late. I sensed a very quiet sadness in the things he wrote before his death. To have all that power, and yet... To be lonely beyond words...

That's nice. He's going to kill everyone.

: You have simply no chance of defeating me, so why do you persist? The magic powers of old have died out, and there is no hope for your world. Now, throw your very lives before me that I may spare your miserable souls. Or... fight me if you dare!
: Hey buster, you seem pretty confident about a fight that hasn't even begun!
: We'd never surrender to the likes of you! Forget about it, Ghaleon!
: Even though I don't have my magic to rely on, I'll still kick your sorry butt!
: I'll never again submit to the powers of darkness! I will resist you with every fiber of my being!

: Hm, hm, hm, hm... You poor delusional souls! I suppose I'd be sad, if I had a heart... But, I don't. Prepare to witness my fury!

Oh. I guess inspirational speeches will only go so far.

: Ha ha ha! It amazes me that they ever had a chance at all. What a delightfully worthless waste of life. Tch. It seems the only power they wield is the power to die and fade away at a moment's notice.

: Don't count your chips yet... this isn't over!

: We're down, but we're not out!

: Until our dying breath... we will resist you!

: We will never bend to your will.

See, what Ghaleon doesn't get is that we're friends for eternity. We're on top 'cause we play to win!

: You can't defeat us, Ghaleon. We're fighting, not for ourselves, but for the lives and the future of all humanity! That power is stronger than you'll ever know!
: Ha, ha, ha, ha! Your endless speeches are entertaining, but worthless. The time for action is at hand. Show me this 'power of humanity!'

We'll make our dreams come true. There's nothing we can't do! Let's go!

And he ambushes us with a potshot. THAT'S CHEATING, GHALEON.

So, now we've got to "show him the power of humanity," or somesuch thing. By which I mean we're all going to punch him in the face.

Jean makes a pretty good case for humanity, I'd say!

But, yeah, this isn't the boss fight proper; we're just killing time.

Other than some abilities like Thunder Bomb here, Ghaleon really isn't pulling out much of anything, either. In any case, Jean's expert face punching abilities end this fight quickly.

Suddenly, bullshit!

: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

I really can't do justice to the scream Hiro gives here. It makes me laugh every time.

: I... I will not give up until my world and Lucia are safe!

And then they start to flash because of... determination?

: Ha, ha, ha! What admirable goals! Now, ending your miserable existence will be even sweeter! Call on your 'power of humanity' to save you, if it even exists!

So now, proper boss fight ti-

And he ambushes us again. Ghaleon is such a dick.

Anywho, we're finally facing off again Ghaleon again, but with our magic this time. Now, this boss fight pulls a mean fast one on you by not letting you adjust your equipment beforehand. So unless you know what's coming, you're likely not to be fully prepared. And if you don't have an earlier save handy, well, too bad buddy. Fortunately, Lemina has the White Dragon Crest on, but I forgot to put the Blue Dragon Crest on Jean.

We're not starting this fight on a high note, but in the next round he decided just to attack. And as long as he doesn't go fo-

GHALEON YOU loving DICK.

Oh, and we have Leo for this. He's... there. Honestly, he's kind of worthless in this fight.

And because we couldn't switch items around before he can't item caddy. He came in this fight with a bottle of hooch and that's all he needs, I guess.

Regardless, our strategy is pretty single. The Hiro and Leo use that one sword skill they have, Ronnie heals, and Jean attacks.

Except for when Ghaleon's flashing purple, then he'll counter attacks. And he'll attack again, which kinda sucks.

Oh I already can tell that's not good.

...I just revived Lemina too. Argh.

Thankfully, he just attacked in the next round, giving me a chance to get Lemina back up.

...Ghaleon. King of all dicks.

He telegraphs that one by folding his arms and also flashing purple. Thankfully, he took out my least useful member instead so Lemina could cast White Dragon Protect. And don't worry; I did revive Leo.

Unfortunately he's immune to Pressure Cooker and Magic Swiper. Also Ghaleon loves knocking you around, so Magic Shield just wasn't really viable. Thankfully Ghaleon isn't as damage happy as Borgan, but he has over 8000 HP! If we had Blue Dragon Vigor available we could cut the fight time down considerably, as he still takes a lot of damage from Jean's attacks, but we don't. Also I still don't have much in the way of MP restoring items in my characters' inventories, so Lemina's MP is at a premium. White Dragon Protect has to be used sparingly. (Or, if you thought to do so beforehand, give her the Snake Ring, but if you thought beforehand, you'd have the Blue Dragon Crest equipped, wouldn'tcha smart guy?)

Fortunately, though, Ghaleon's defense is far more modest than his HP. Moreover, even without Blue Dragon Vigor Jean's criticals are still doing over 500 damage. So he falls before long.

Honestly, even with Blue Dragon Vigor Ghaleon can be a tense fight because he can dish out some nasty damage, and you can't just throw up White Dragon Protect willy-nilly. Also Schitzo Blade is just cheap.

And he doesn't even give you experience or anything for your trouble. King dick of dick mountain.

Hey, let's have another cutscene because this update doesn't have enough!

: Hi... Hiro... why did... you spare my life?

: It's because you spared ours. We owe you.

: Hrrmm...

: Ghaleon, it's clear; you disobeyed Zophar and let us defeat you. You can't go back now. He'll kill you.

: Hrm... Hiro, forget me. Just go. Save the world before it's too late.

The way Ghaleon says that line is pretty much the best.

: Ghaleon, join us in our fight!

Yes, yes, I'm totally in favor of that! I guess we're only allowed a five person party, but we can just kick Leo out, no big.

: Hiro... I can't join your fight. My end is near.

: This...this reprieve from death was not an accident. Zophar granted it. And now that I have betrayed his purpose, his power will be withdrawn. I will weaken, and soon will be nothing more than a shadow fading in the darkest recesses of time.
: But Ghaleon... you saved our lives! You can't...
: Hiro...wipe the sorrow from your brow. Even though I must again die, there is no regret in my heart. I have tried to atone for my sins of the past by helping you. I'm grateful that I had this opportunity... Ohhhh...

: I pray it serves you well...

: Though I cannot go with you, know that I will be there in spirit always. Good-bye...

Your first instinct would be to talk to Ghaleon again. DO NOT DO THAT. This is your last chance to buy items, and we're doing just that. Besides, I don't think he's dying that bad. He can wait for a couple of minutes.

Oh Ghaleon's Sword is awesome. Obviously.

Anyway, I had to do some hardcore item management. It was very exciting. Had to sell off a buncha poo poo, give Leo some items and accessories (unfortunately, apparently everyone in the party is a tee-totaler, yes even Ronfar somehow, and I can't get rid of the wine.) And finally, blew the rest of my money on Dover Nuts, Angel Tears, and most importantly, Silverlights.

Oh, oh yes I like this.

All right then, Ghaleon, you were saying?

: He has completed his transformation using the power of Althena. He is now almost completely impervious to any attacks you might use. He has but one weakness, and that is... ...Lucia! Without stripping Zophar of the power of Althena, he cannot be defeated. And, that power can only be cut off by attacking what you hold most dear... Lucia.

Buddy, we just somehow recovered our magic power through sheer will alone. We're not ending this story by killing the female lead.

: Hiro, you must destroy Lucia to save your world. It is the only way!

Yeah, I'm thinking... no.

: There must be another way to defeat Zophar! I will not sacrifice Lucia to save the world I love.
: ... ...so be it. You have chosen a dangerous path, young Hiro. And now, you will have no chance of defeating Zophar. I would not be so daring. Are you prepared to bear the blood of an entire world for this girl you love?

This is the last cutscene for this update, I swear.

: Yep, no doubt about it. This has got to be a bazillion-to-one longshot. Hah, only a mental midget would take it. But hey, I've been called much worse. It's all or nothin', and I never settled for nothin'!

: Our fight for the soul of this world isn't over yet. If we all join together as one, we can grow even stronger than Zophar! All it takes is a little luck, and the power to believe in ourselves.

: And besides we have to rescue Lucia for my new Magic Guild!

: Oh pooh! Tongue slip...

: I meant... Zophar will be a piece of cake. I'll wipe the floor with his mega-mangy butt!

: Hiro, justice lies with us! In the face of impossible odds, we can secure victory if we strive for it. Remember, we wield the power of humanity! With that, anything becomes possible.

: Listen to them, Hiro. They're right! We'll stick Zophar's butt in a sling!

: Hah... your endless resolve never ceases to amaze me. When it appears to be the darkest and most hopeless hour, you pull together and fight toward the light.

: The time has come, Hiro. Darkness... rushes forth. Unleash your power and save this desperate land.

: I will, Ghaleon. Bet on it!

: Secure all positions! Here we go!
: Duh-da-duh-dah-da-dah! Charge!
: Full ahead! Next stop: Zophar's domain!

: Are you watching in secret, Dyne?

: These children shine with your light.

Bye-bye, you magnificent hammy bastard.

: Fight hard, Hiro. Believe in your friends.

: The final test lies before you.

Here we are folks, at last: the final dungeon. Next time... well, we've got our work cut out for us, I'll say that.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jun 29, 2014

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If it's anything like the remake...hoo, boy good luck.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I love Ghaleon.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

drat shame John Truitt got his hammy rear end out of voice acting when WD went under.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

This cannot be emphasized enough. The dungeon in the remake is balls to the loving wall difficult. The only reason kid-me managed to beat it at all was because there was a statue on the Destiny, and I could level grind like all gently caress. I went in there at like level 45 and left around 60 or 70.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Galick posted:

This cannot be emphasized enough. The dungeon in the remake is balls to the loving wall difficult. The only reason kid-me managed to beat it at all was because there was a statue on the Destiny, and I could level grind like all gently caress. I went in there at like level 45 and left around 60 or 70.

Let's put it this way:

I don't think Camel Pimp got enough Silver Lights. :gibs:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I just remembered how hard it was in the remake. It must be fun in this version.
Ghaleon is best supporting villain.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Camel Pimp posted:

: Oh no, I've said too much.
: ...You haven't said enough.

I dunno, this seems like a pretty apt time to lose your religion.

I'll admit, I only get this reference because of Weird Al's 'Polka Your Eyes Out'. :sweatdrop:

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!

Camel Pimp posted:

See, what Ghaleon doesn't get is that we're friends for eternity. We're on top 'cause we play to win!

Someone has been playing Blood Dragon, I see. :D

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Ok, what was Ghaleon's deal?
Did he realize that Zophar awakening meant Lucia blasting Lunar, so he posed as a vengeful wraith to get an opportunity to break Lucia's willingness to destroy Lunar, trusting the heroes to kick rear end afterwards?

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

I think it was a bit of a long con. He was aware of Zophar back when he was being the Magic Emperor, and when Alex and co kicked his poo poo in he went "y'know, maybe there ought to be something done about that. Ah well, dying, not my problem."

And then Zophar came up to him and went, "Y'wanna destroy the world? Do ya? Do ya boy?!" and he immediately agreed, cause, y'know, he's already dead. The gently caress else does he have to do beyond try this hero thing again?

Except he's Ghaleon, so he decides to handle it in the most hamtastic manner possible - by being Zophar's big, loud, supervillain which he probably thoroughly enjoyed anyway. Now then, he can't kill Zophar himself. He's literally running on a Zophar battery, but Lucia can kill'm. So he needs to get Lucia down here, without her dusting the entire drat planet. Which he actually likes, so that can't happen. So I'm imagining him running around his faerie garden, ripping his drat hair out as Lucia comes down to blow the world the gently caress up.

And then he sees Hiro get a :dong: that could penetrate steel. Now then, he's done this several times. He knows precisely what little hero Hiro will go through for her, and he knows precisely how strong a ragtag group of misfits are because he used to be part of one and then one kicked his poo poo in. So he starts playing the party, probably setting tons of poo poo in their way for them to level up on, ostensibly in the pretext of getting them killed because he doesn't wanna be seen. Zophar allows this, either because he trusts Ghaleon on that one or he just doesn't give a gently caress.

The whole while, he keeps throwing them into situations to push them closer together and make them like each other. He's probably the one who put that plant monster down where Jean's caravan was, among other things. The yeti was likely his doing as well, along with probably every other boss in some fashion. And he probably even played the Four Heroes as he was Althena's Dragonmaster, and could boss them around and harass them into doing poo poo - which would again lead to the group getting closer together and liking each other more, and be willing to fight against anything to save each other.

So really, Ghaleon gets the best of both worlds. He gets to be a hero again and save the world from absolute destruction {from two sources, no less) while being the biggest cockbag he can possibly be to the world at large (and probably kill a lot of people while he's at it).

And holy god drat gently caress that was way too many :words: about this game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
When it comes to Ghaleon, it isn't enough words.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
You should never relax around wizards.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
You guys thought the remake dungeon was hard? Hoolly gently caress this the one in this version... let's just say it was a good thing OP bought so many silverlights.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pretty sure the remake boss is harder and there's a couple random encounters in the remake version that can wipe you easily if you don't go all out on them.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, wait. You can just get the power of Althena back by... yelling loud enough? Or did the party rob some poor NPC of the magical talent they never knew they had.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Glazius posted:

Wait, wait. You can just get the power of Althena back by... yelling loud enough? Or did the party rob some poor NPC of the magical talent they never knew they had.

Look, there's going to be a lot of inexplicable stuff like that coming up so just... go with it.

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Glazius posted:

Power of friendship/power of the human spirit.

Come on, man, that's jRPG 101.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Omobono posted:

Ok, what was Ghaleon's deal?
Did he realize that Zophar awakening meant Lucia blasting Lunar, so he posed as a vengeful wraith to get an opportunity to break Lucia's willingness to destroy Lunar, trusting the heroes to kick rear end afterwards?

Pretty much what Galich just said, but also I wanted to add that Zophar wanted a lot of what Ghaleon was doing (pushing Lucia closer together with Hiro and friends) because he didn't want to be annihilated and have to spend who knows how long rebirthing himself again. I mean, it can't be comfortable.

bathroomrage posted:

Power of friendship/power of the human spirit.

Come on, man, that's jRPG 101.

Pretty much, yeah. They're not getting Althena's power back, they are believing in themselves and drawing on their own strength. This is JRPG standard operating procedure.

When I played up to this point I had remembered Blue Dragon Vigor but it didn't matter because Ghaleon killed Jean instead of Leo and Lem almost every turn. King dick of dick mountain indeed.

dis astranagant posted:

drat shame John Truitt got his hammy rear end out of voice acting when WD went under.

Same.

Jenner fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Mar 21, 2014

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Did they do anything with the Vile Tribe?

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

Scalding Coffee posted:

In this game, no. Funnily enough, there is a tie-in manga where the Vile Tribe is addressed. Apparently, the Japanese version of the remake has a reference to it. And if you're moving over this spoiler, you know the plot of this game and might even know when the manga is set, so no discussing it yet!

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

The tiny reference is in the American remake as well. I'll grab a screenshot once you get there if you like.

It's not a reference to the manga exactly, more of a reference to the first game in general (if I'm guessing what you're referring to correctly) but it's still a neat touch. If you want to go on ahead.

Camel Pimp fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Mar 21, 2014

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Camel Pimp posted:

In this game, no. Funnily enough, there is a tie-in manga where the Vile Tribe is addressed. Apparently, the Japanese version of the remake has a reference to it. And if you're moving over this spoiler, you know the plot of this game and might even know when the manga is set, so no discussing it yet!

Heh, this series has several supplementary materials that tries to tie up loose ends and sometimes creates whole new ones. 9 novels and 7 mangas to be precise. I'll link to them and talk more about this when Camel Pimp says it's okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The tiny reference is in the American remake as well. I'll grab a screenshot once you get there if you like.

• Locked thread