Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Definitely have a love/hate relationship with this game. A lot of stuff is very vague, the text speed is so loving slow, and I can't get over the controls. They feel so clunky, compared to something like Rogue Legacy. Regardless:

I'm 51% in the game and haven't found anywhere to repair this useless armor I have. Who can do this? In fact, I have a TON of items, and I don't know what ANY of them do? I guess they're used as currency, since I upgraded my sword some? What about all these key items I have, like Book of the Old Gods?

And please tell me I'm just too retarded to not find it, but does a game of this type really not have a WORLD map?

Rent fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jan 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Peewi posted:

I noticed that he takes more damage if you him in the back, but he still has a ton of health and the fight stops being interesting very quickly.

Buff your weapon with ice magic, or god hand for reckoning if you're using Reina. This applies to pretty much every boss and will dramatically increase your damage even if you've invested nothing into int. You more or less always want a weapon buff up, even when moving through the world.
Opposing elements / alignments often work well and sometimes have additional effects like preventing some auto-counters from triggering.

Note that if you swap magic types (eg: to heal), it will clear the buff so reapply it afterwards.

Rent posted:

I'm 51% in the game and haven't found anywhere to repair this useless armor I have. Who can do this? In fact, I have a TON of items, and I don't know what ANY of them do? I guess they're used as currency, since I upgraded my sword some? What about all these key items I have, like Book of the Old Gods?

And please tell me I'm just too retarded to not find it, but does a game of this type really not have a WORLD map?

Those armor pieces are just crafting materials used to upgrade the actual armor you find in the world. Different blacksmiths in various towns will be able to upgrade different armor sets, and the upgrade will usually consume one of the "broken" pieces as materials. more or less all random items are crafting/trade materials for something, eg: weapons, magic, armor, etc.

The description on the books, or at least the store description of the one you can buy in Hrukk just straight up tells you who to bring it to.

There is no world map, just a local region map. I agree that there should be one.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

The lack of a world map is one of those things that makes me regard the game as more early access state than really ready for release state. I got annoyed enough to go poking around, and some guys on the official forums tossed one together at some point; I think the most recent version is still here.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Is there any way to get out of the Guardian Temple other than beating the boss there? I was exploring the town and fell down here, but would rather explore some of the previous areas than beat this guy.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend

Papercut posted:

Is there any way to get out of the Guardian Temple other than beating the boss there? I was exploring the town and fell down here, but would rather explore some of the previous areas than beat this guy.

Is that the fire guy?

You have to beat him, as far as I know. Some tips if you're having issues: when he jumps down at you to do his flame poo poo, you can just interrupt it with an attack or spell; you don't have to run away. You can also interrupt his channeling, but I found that kind of tough to do and just sat in the corner.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Rent posted:

Is that the fire guy?

You have to beat him, as far as I know. Some tips if you're having issues: when he jumps down at you to do his flame poo poo, you can just interrupt it with an attack or spell; you don't have to run away. You can also interrupt his channeling, but I found that kind of tough to do and just sat in the corner.

Yeah I ended up just beating him, B-rank but whatever. He wasn't too bad, his attacks were easy enough to dodge as long as I didn't get carried away with my combos. His charge up thing was the worst part of it (the one that looks like Aegis), so I just had to run away until he cooled off every time he started to get charged up.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Papercut posted:

His charge up thing was the worst part of it (the one that looks like Aegis), so I just had to run away until he cooled off every time he started to get charged up.

Try hitting him with ice magic or buffing your weapon with ice magic :)

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Make sure to yell "CHILL OUT" or "I don't think SNOW" everytime you do it though

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I found that using the mid-air Ice spell worked wonders against him. It costs little mana, does decent damage to him, and gives you some extra airtime, which makes it really easy to avoid the wave of fire that he shoots along the floor.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

You can also use the air spells in some places to get to chests before getting the double jump.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

I finally got around to beating the game as Wyatt and have started a Hard Mode file with Reina. What's a general good build for her? I've heard focusing into her Reckoning stuff is pretty good, at least.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

I finally got around to beating the game as Wyatt and have started a Hard Mode file with Reina. What's a general good build for her? I've heard focusing into her Reckoning stuff is pretty good, at least.

Doing the same but with Godslayer. Personally I got the upgrade for kicks to have block breaking properties because I have yet to see any sign of a Staff (at Magus now), Faolan's cooldown is too long, and because enemies and bosses will absolutely murder you if you hit them while they're blocking and otherwise fighting takes too much time.
Also don't juggle Zealots. They really hate it.
Does Faolan level up extra slow just because you get him early? I feel like I've used him hundreds of times already and he's still level 2.

Something interesting I noticed while fighting Dhistan, you can break the pipes at both sides of the arena to flood it. This pretty much trivializes the fight since you can just lock him down wherever he moves and before he starts attacking.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

For punchy fists (the best style), mostly Agi with a bit of Str works well. I usually put enough points into luck to get the level 3 banana finisher move, because it really just demolishes everything. Agi/Luck also works.
Reckoning tears through things, and god hand is a really good and cheap buff to always keep up. At the very least take the first two reckoning skills, regardless of build.
Against specific bosses, you probably still want the fire or ice weapon buffs because they negate certain counter moves the bosses have.

The description of aegis is a little unclear, but its basically an amazing 2 second invulnerability move. It normally costs 20% mana, however if you use it to absorb any hit that would have caused a status ailment it costs nothing (technically, you're refunded the mana after the hit, so you can't use it with less than 20%). You can also clear any status for free after its been inflicted.
Its incredibly useful with or without the refund for just blowing through certain attacks. Eg: the Yeti/raven ice/poison ground smashes, tagu's jump attack, etc. You can no longer chain spam it like in older versions, but its still really good.

If you skill cancel aegis, you briefly keep the invulnerability for a moment, which is useful for the escape sequences where you have to rush past or jump to ledges with ranged enemies.

At some point in late game if you're using fists, pick up the fighter's bandages and marvel at the ridiculous damage output.

HGH posted:

Does Faolan level up extra slow just because you get him early? I feel like I've used him hundreds of times already and he's still level 2.

Assist level is capped based on your character level.
I forget exactly, but I think you have to be level 5 for assist level 2, level 10 for 3, etc.
Actually, probably not exactly that since I think you can have assist 5 before level 20, but its something along those lines.

Also, the bigger the disparity between an assist's current level, and their current level cap, the faster they level up.
You're probably just being capped, and as soon as you hit the right character level, the next time you use faolan he should level up.
I usually keep faolan throughout the game since the mana regen is so useful and fists+magic is enough to kill things. The cooldown gets shorter as he levels up as well.
Alternatively, you can get the lighting assist near the beginning of the game if you kill the yeti as soon as possible, which is a really useful combat assist.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
You can buy the Staff once you clear the Guardian Temple.

A build you might want to try out going heavy Int at some point; it's a bit on the slow side at first, but once you get the Staff and get the final magic path upgrade you'll liquify everything you come across. I'd also recommend picking up the Crusader's Amulet if you go for that, it's an excellent item if you've been ignoring Agi.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Man I've really enjoyed this game, but everything about the Ziggurat is just a complete gently caress you it's not fun at all. Spike blocks that juggle you to death, stun attacks everywhere, getting knocked down out of rooms forcing you to start fights all over again, attacks that have giant invisible hit boxes, and topped all off with this insanely lovely boss. It's like a laundry list of poor design choices all wrapped up into a single area.

Magic Rabbit Hat
Nov 4, 2006

Just follow along if you don't wanna get neutered.

Papercut posted:

Man I've really enjoyed this game, but everything about the Ziggurat is just a complete gently caress you it's not fun at all. Spike blocks that juggle you to death, stun attacks everywhere, getting knocked down out of rooms forcing you to start fights all over again, attacks that have giant invisible hit boxes, and topped all off with this insanely lovely boss. It's like a laundry list of poor design choices all wrapped up into a single area.

It was worse when he had an instant-kill move that charged up over the course of the fight -- you were guaranteed to have it used on you at least once during the fight. Twice if you were too slow. The second time I ran through with Reina I used weapon enchants and the Lightning assist: the boss has a shitload of armour, but very, very weak magic resist. He also takes extra damage from behind, meaning the Lightning Assist character and the Lightning spell that buffs her damage was chunking him for 1100 damage.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
If you didn't already finish Engineer's Palace and get the double jump ability, come back and do Ziggurat after. It's a lot easier.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I am almost certain the Ziggurat is meant to be tackled after the Engineer's Palace. Not only is the boss there infininitely easier than the one in the Ziggurat, I think after clearing the Palace you might even have enough Tamahagane or whatever it's called to fully max out a weapon. You might also wanna grab the Weighted Bracers in Isshk if you're using a physical build.

It's just too bad the Angel Key is in some non-descript room in the sewers while the Demon Key has an entire section devoted to it, the game is basically leading you to the harder of the two late-game areas.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
You can get the three Tamahagane you need to max something out the moment you're done with the Guardian Temple. Don't recall exactly where they are, mind you, but I know it's possible. Just backtrack for a bit and look for punchable walls.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
Heyo people that play this game. On Godslayer difficulty, are the higher tier boss rewards necessary to progress later on in the game? (I know it's theoretically possible to beat the game with no upgrades at all but I'm not that skilled)I want to do a casual first playthrough without continually restarting bosses but I'm afraid I'll screw myself over later if I don't get the early A/S rewards.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

DisDisDis posted:

Heyo people that play this game. On Godslayer difficulty, are the higher tier boss rewards necessary to progress later on in the game? (I know it's theoretically possible to beat the game with no upgrades at all but I'm not that skilled)I want to do a casual first playthrough without continually restarting bosses but I'm afraid I'll screw myself over later if I don't get the early A/S rewards.

The difference between the high and low rank rewards is much much smaller then it was when this thread started (seems like a lot of the time it's not different at all, now), so don't worry about it.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

In this game you have very limited resources for upgrading your items and skills. Playing on God Slayer without knowing ahead of time where they are and what you want to spend them on sounds like a great way to get yourself unbelievably frustrated. Not to mention you can screw yourself out of upgrades or boss fights if you don't know the game already. That's the real stumbling bock to a first playthrough on a hard difficulty that I see.

Casull
Aug 13, 2005

:catstare: :catstare: :catstare:
What I assume is the final boss is complete loving bullshit. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't heal itself constantly before I can whip its tentacles all the way down.

I mean the Ziggurat is bad but at least the Ziggurat boss doesn't do that.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Casull posted:

What I assume is the final boss is complete loving bullshit. It wouldn't be so bad if it didn't heal itself constantly before I can whip its tentacles all the way down.

I mean the Ziggurat is bad but at least the Ziggurat boss doesn't do that.

Equip your anti-god book! Pretty much any build should be able to tear apart the tentacles and mana crystal.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Also, the healing crystal is pretty easy to take out since you can just hop up and smack it a lot without worrying about anything else. Especially if you equip said anti-god book, which can be found behind pretty much the one Divine Door that doesn't lead to the final boss. It lets you rip through the thing, and you can even just switch it out afterwards if you're not a fan of the debuff.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down
Why do I have all the achievements except for the Goibnu mode one? Why am I considering trying to get the goibnu mode one? I think something might be wrong with me. :suicide:

Might also try some casual speedruns on normal, although I'm not sure I want to learn the route with all the teleport glitch sequence breaks. Tried a practice run without really any preparation. Didn't time it, but it was about 1:15 (0:55 in game time at the final save point). Super slow, and I killed way more normal enemies than I needed to. The exp bonuses for S ranking bosses on normal are absurd.
There are one or two people speedrunning this game (record is just over half an hour) but it seems like they're using the original 20 version and skip half the bosses with the teleport glitch. Granted, the teleport glitch still works in 22, but the big leveling trick and spammable aegis with cheap mana cost do not.

Also, I thought the infinite combo with side lighting was out in the latest patch, but the stun effect lasts so long you can just do a different one by jump cancelling the lighting chain and starting again with jump heavy into ground chain.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Has anyone else noticed that Luck is way, way better than Strength? With a pure Str build, I end up with 458 HP and 194 Attack (Reina); with a pure Luck build I end up with 602 and 204 respectively, and also have higher MP and about 20% higher critical chance. It's harder to make a direct comparison with Agi since it has more skills that are affected by it, but it seems like Luck would be a better choice there as well.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Papercut posted:

Has anyone else noticed that Luck is way, way better than Strength? With a pure Str build, I end up with 458 HP and 194 Attack (Reina); with a pure Luck build I end up with 602 and 204 respectively, and also have higher MP and about 20% higher critical chance. It's harder to make a direct comparison with Agi since it has more skills that are affected by it, but it seems like Luck would be a better choice there as well.

I'm playing as Wyatt, and I thought pure strength was going to work. Guess not, i'm still doing piss poor damage, and I screwed myself because I didn't upgrade my sword fully before the Ishk exodus

I have some trouble accessing actual information pertaining to this game. The Wiki doesn't have any real answers, so I have no idea how to access some poo poo, or figure out just what the Eye of Myrgato does.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Fargin Icehole posted:

I'm playing as Wyatt, and I thought pure strength was going to work. Guess not, i'm still doing piss poor damage, and I screwed myself because I didn't upgrade my sword fully before the Ishk exodus

I have some trouble accessing actual information pertaining to this game. The Wiki doesn't have any real answers, so I have no idea how to access some poo poo, or figure out just what the Eye of Myrgato does.

The Eye of Myrgato unlocks an extra scene during the credits that will only play if you have it. Same with the other Eye.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Fargin Icehole posted:

Make sure you're using buff magic on up and down and you should be fine. I did all strength when I went through God Slayer with Wyatt, and even with minimum magic they make a big difference. Also his other weapons are excellent and worth putting whatever remaining upgrades you have into.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

Obviously the solution here is to forego weapons entirely and beat enemies to death with your bare hands. Or bear hands in Wyatt's case.

Seriously though, I managed to S-rank the two endgame optional boss on Godslayer with a Luck-based, bare-handed Reina using the Fighter's Bandages as an accessory. Bare-handed playthroughs are surprisingly legit.

But yeah, weapon enchantments make quite a difference even on a physical build. On a physical Wyatt I like using the fire enchantment, with a bit of spell affliction and the skill that causes bleed on crits Wyatt can cause quite a bit of damage-over-time.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

a cartoon duck posted:

Seriously though, I managed to S-rank the two endgame optional boss on Godslayer with a Luck-based, bare-handed Reina using the Fighter's Bandages as an accessory. Bare-handed playthroughs are surprisingly legit.

But yeah, weapon enchantments make quite a difference even on a physical build. On a physical Wyatt I like using the fire enchantment, with a bit of spell affliction and the skill that causes bleed on crits Wyatt can cause quite a bit of damage-over-time.

Fists are by far the most fun for me. The fighter's bandages is also just a ridiculously good accessory for that.

Regarding bleed and crit Wyatt, it can't be overstated how much the bleed upgrade path for the sword actually increases bleed damage. It turns the already decent damage over time into basically the equivalent of a clone of you smacking things with unblockable damage that bypasses shields.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Doing a Veteran run with Reina and my bare fists are doing really low damage. Fighting Magus was rude as hell because I couldn't use any weapon buffs. Turns out Reina's totem weapon is rude as hell, it was totally necessary to blast those volt angels with solar energy. Fighting Fire Boss (forget his name) with the totem attuned to Ice is awesome. Coupled with Warlock Raiment the totems ice beam will freeze him out of all his attacks basically, and you can just combo him at leisure. Might be sticking with this the whole game.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

redweird posted:

Doing a Veteran run with Reina and my bare fists are doing really low damage. Fighting Magus was rude as hell because I couldn't use any weapon buffs. Turns out Reina's totem weapon is rude as hell, it was totally necessary to blast those volt angels with solar energy. Fighting Fire Boss (forget his name) with the totem attuned to Ice is awesome. Coupled with Warlock Raiment the totems ice beam will freeze him out of all his attacks basically, and you can just combo him at leisure. Might be sticking with this the whole game.

It's strong and keeps getting stronger up until you run out of ways of improving your affliction, but I had to switch out of using an int-totem build in order to defeat the Eye of Myrgato when I did it (which was pre-1.0.0.20 so a lot has changed). I think the single strongest int-based build I've used is machine-gunning level 3 ice spears as Reina though-- which doesn't conflict with totem usage but requires a bit of specialization in order to afford the mana cost.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

Just picked up this game, any general do's and don'ts for Wyatt?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

neato burrito posted:

Just picked up this game, any general do's and don'ts for Wyatt?

It's hard to screw your character up too bad, especially since you can respec pretty easily. The easiest builds to beat the game with are an intelligence caster with an upgraded ice soul or a strength dude with a bit of agility, but either way you'll want to use your weapon enchantment spells liberally.

In other news: Here's a Vladyn teaser from last month. He's got summons.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euCm93oGSOc

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Good to know they're at least working on something, I suppose. I pretty much pushed it all to the back of my mind since I had no idea if they'd actually follow through with it.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
This game was fun but I never finished it because there was no world map. After taking a break for a couple weeks I came back and couldn't figure out where to go.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

KyloWinter posted:

This game was fun but I never finished it because there was no world map. After taking a break for a couple weeks I came back and couldn't figure out where to go.

Are they ever planning on adding a world map? I enjoy the game, but every time I log in my motivation to play drops to nil because I have no idea where I am or what I'm doing because it's been so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.
Has there been any update on when the next patch will hit? I really enjoy this game, but it's definitely got some room to grow, and I really want to try the 2 new characters.

• Locked thread