Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pigasus
Dec 26, 2009

Too fat to wear pink.

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Carlos, like it has been said, sums up everything wrong with that confrontational douche: "Al pastor? You are from LA? I am from Mexico."

I felt like he was trying to defend what he already knew was a flawed dish by using his credibility as a Mexican. I'm inclined to give Choi the credibility in terms of how well that al pastor was made because Carlos himself recognized that it didn't have enough time to marinade and become flavorful. Choi was calling Carlos out for trying to sneak sub-par cooking past him by saying, "Hey, I know what good al pastor is supposed to taste like because I am from Los Angeles."

That said, Choi is still a jerk. I understand not being satisfied with the food, but significantly better chefs had enough tact to say it gently rather than scolding everything like how Choi did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Remember when Tom said something akin to the golden egg is being on top chef, not necessarily winning? Yea, Roi Choi can go suck it. What a condescending prick. (It was a goddamn sandwich challenge, after all. No one is going to start culinary revolution with a sandwich.) I'll never patronize that patronizing dick.

Or a taco, am I right?

TedKoppel
Nov 30, 2002

They sure look ripe to me.

Pigasus posted:

That said, Choi is still a jerk. I understand not being satisfied with the food, but significantly better chefs had enough tact to say it gently rather than scolding everything like how Choi did.

I would like to echo this because I'm afraid my earlier comment made it sound like I was on his side. He's a talented dude and Kogi really is worth at least 90% of the hype around it, but he seemed to be deliberately embarrassing people on television for making, at worst, not particularly great food.

Acinonyx
Oct 21, 2005
The worst part of Top Chef is when they give the contestants 20 min and then bitch that they didn't make world class dishes. Mr. Food Truck took months/years developing recipes and then hours prepping food and it turned out better than people who had 20 minutes from start to finish. What a shocking twist!

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Given that, I wouldn't be shocked if they were lacking flavor when put on an entire loaf of French bread.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
I am not Mexican, but apparently having been served al pastor that I found great at a place in LA, gives me the street cred to knock any other al pastor that doesn't please me. That is what his argument boiled down to.

I don't know the Korean equivalent to al pastor, but from what I gather, and what I can relate to, it would be like criticizing a native Italian that their grandmothers gravy "sauce" isn't authentic. Al pastor is inherently a family recipe. I don't live in LA (only have visited) but even in the midwest taco trucks advertise "best al pastor in the city." Not most-real-like-flat-brimmed-la-from-the-streets-and-i-gotta-keep-up-this-act-al-pastor but "the best" because there is not an "authentic" version. It is familial, and regional, and local, and Roi Choi wouldn't understand that concept if it hit him in the rear end.

Looking forward to a better episode tonight.

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Carlos knew it was risky (and imo stupid) to try and serve al pastor prepared in a 20 min limit. C'mon now. Just because Choi is a dick doesn't mean he can't have valid opinions. I'm sure Carlos can make better al pastor than Choi has ever come close to eating, but that wasn't the challenge to attempt it on.

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
I'm still upset Stephanie is gone. She wasn't the best chef in the competition, but she was the best personality. The only one left who stands out in that category to me is Nick, and not in a good way. His descent into madness is more sad than entertaining. The way he's been edited makes me feel like he's going to explode any moment now, like a murder-suicide with Carlos for drinking the last cup of delicious fresh brewed Dunkin' DonutsŪ Original Blend Coffee. But I'm sure in real life, he's just a regular guy who misses his family and doesn't like his pots getting moved. The editing in this show is pretty terrible some times.

Anyway, does everyone else pretty much think it's a given that Louis is going to make it back into the competition at this point? Granted Louis has actually showed off his chops and served up some awesome dishes in LCK, I just don't see Tom sending him home, barring Louis taking a dump on a plate and serving it up. It just seems like it's already been predetermined that he's coming back. People like seeing these hot streaks, it makes it more compelling to watch, so Tom and the producers lean towards making it happen. Or maybe I'm just being paranoid about reality tv. Again, Louis is a pretty good chef. Who knows v:v:v

Speed Crazy
Nov 7, 2011
I think the only way Louis wouldn't make it back into the competition is if Nina or Shirley manage to get eliminated. I think they both could beat him fairly, but also Tom might give them a little more preference for winning so many times in the regular competition.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Looking forward to a better episode tonight.

I'm guessing you'll be disappointed.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Poque posted:

I'm guessing you'll be disappointed.

This season is a waste which is why I'm now watching reruns of hit ABC show Grey's Anatomy instead and just posting gifs from it.

Bring back annoying angry leg tattoo beard boy Justin

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.
The GE Monogram appliances. I guess I know who's paying for this prize.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Yessssss

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

Is Stephanie a lock for fan favorite at this point?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

jscolon2.0 posted:

Is Stephanie a lock for fan favorite at this point?

I hope so. I'd vote for her.

Nick's trail of screwed-over chefs is starting to rival Josie.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I have no idea how Nick's dish is inspired by New Orleans.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Looking forward to one of the women crushing Nick in the finale.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
So for the 4th week in a row Nicolas somehow doesn't get sent home. This has to be a record of unpunished failures.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

The LCK is actually taking place in Maui?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010

jscolon2.0 posted:

The LCK is actually taking place in Maui?

They never show the winner until the tv episode airs

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Firebatgyro posted:

So for the 4th week in a row Nicolas somehow doesn't get sent home. This has to be a record of unpunished failures.

Did you forget Lisa?

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Firebatgyro posted:

How was his dish this week a "failure"? Because his fish lacked seasoning?

I'd rather his dish than a seafood tamale

Krackleburt
Aug 24, 2008
Yeah, I thought Nick prepared a pretty good dish. They pretty much said that if he had a couple grains of salt on the fish, he would have been right up there with Shirley and Nina.

TedKoppel
Nov 30, 2002

I'm not sure what the protocol is about spoiling LCK is when they don't show the winner, but I was kind of annoyed that they let the other chefs vote. I realize that in all likelihood the best chef will win because all it takes is one person not being corrupt to pick the best one, but really, it's a bit much to ask. Ah, well. It seemed like it would clearly be Louis to me, because it didn't sound like he overcooked his tuna much at all and his dish was good otherwise. A lack of flavor is a huge problem.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

TedKoppel posted:

I'm not sure what the protocol is about spoiling LCK is when they don't show the winner, but I was kind of annoyed that they let the other chefs vote. I realize that in all likelihood the best chef will win because all it takes is one person not being corrupt to pick the best one, but really, it's a bit much to ask. Ah, well. It seemed like it would clearly be Louis to me, because it didn't sound like he overcooked his tuna much at all and his dish was good otherwise. A lack of flavor is a huge problem.

Really? Judging by the look on Nick's face in the previews when he sees the 4th chef, I was sure it had to be Carlos. :)

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

darkgray posted:

Really? Judging by the look on Nick's face in the previews when he sees the 4th chef, I was sure it had to be Carlos. :)

The guy coming back didn't look thin enough to be Louis, either. Carlos isn't big but Louis is a twig.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Also, the looks on their faces in the LCK confessionals seemed like Carlos was over the moon and Louis was...down :(

I'm hoping I'm wrong because I really want Louis to pull through. I was bummed when he got eliminated, and I never liked Carlos. The seafood tamale looked disgusting.

As long as I'm on it, I've been living in LA for the better part of a year, and the Korean taco truck guy was a huge douche about it but you really do get spoiled on pastor (and other Mexican meats) in this town. Mexican takes time, and Carlos of all people should have loving known that. He could have just called it pork and he would have been fine.

Duro
May 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I would have just called it "al pastor inspired" or something along those lines

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
Una vez mas, gringos estan discutiendo "al pastor." I am, once again, going against the flow. Every chef left standing has flat out said the don't see Carlos as a threat. This a competition for 100k. Do you think they are going to vote for the "best dish" or "best-for-me-opponent?" That is why the challenge was rigged. Although a big Carlos fan, I am going to be shocked if he isn't picked. And Bravo will take that chance to, once again, poo poo on Carlos and hear "I thought I could beat him" confessionals versus "yea, he had the best dish." Then Bravo will throw up a "YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!! Should Louis be here?" and you see the REAL TIME sliding scale. Please.

TedKoppel
Nov 30, 2002

darkgray posted:

I didn't see the preview. By this, do you mean his expression was happy or annoyed? I could see him being either way.

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Although a big Carlos fan, I am going to be shocked if he isn't picked. And Bravo will take that chance to, once again, poo poo on Carlos and hear "I thought I could beat him" confessionals versus "yea, he had the best dish." Then Bravo will throw up a "YOUR VOTE COUNTS!!! Should Louis be here?" and you see the REAL TIME sliding scale. Please.

I don't really agree with this, because again, all it takes is one in three people being honest and the chef who made the worse food doesn't get through. I would be surprised if all three were cynical and outvoted Tom and Emeril. I might be off. Also, you're awfully indignant about something that hasn't happened.

TedKoppel fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jan 25, 2014

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Firebatgyro posted:

They're just waiting a couple rounds before the inevitable revenge for immunitygate takes place. Which is practically guaranteed to be next week.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

TedKoppel posted:

I didn't see the preview. By this, do you mean his expression was happy or annoyed? I could see him being either way.

(LCK preview)

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013

TedKoppel posted:

. . . outvoted Tom and Emeril.

You are awfully presumptuous for never having tasted either of the dishes.

TedKoppel
Nov 30, 2002

JD Bucks 7 posted:

You are awfully presumptuous for never having tasted either of the dishes.

You were, correct me if I'm wrong, saying that the chefs would pick the chef they saw as weakest, that being Carlos. I was countering that, saying that think it's a stretch that all three would vote cynically and outweigh Tom and Emeril's vote. In other words, my suspicion is that if Carlos gets through, then at least either Tom or Emeril will have voted for him. I wasn't saying Carlos definitively cooked the worse dish. But there's no guarantee that others won't vote for the weaker chef, and I wish they had kept the vote to disinterested parties, so I think we're in agreement on that.

Anyway, yes, thanks darkgray.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
Well, i inferred that--like Bravo would love to have the viewers believe--that the two judges already had voted for LCK champion. So, they would all have to "outvote" the two. And, it doesn't really make any sense in any other context. So Emeril likes Carlos dish, how could the other three "outvote" him? You are covering your rear end.

What has rightfully pissed the gently caress off is the edit Carlos has gotten. They make it seem like they dragged a dishwasher from your local Applebees and put him on top chef. As has been said, he has a Michelin star. HE has one. Not sous-chefing for whoever. HE has it. We already know nina is going to make a loving pasta dish for her finale. I don't hate her for that, but why do we not hear an edit "Well, if Scott Conant's sous-chef would step out of her comfort zone, maybe we wont have gnocci, AGAIN"

Shirley, from what I have seen, deserves to win it, but have you not noticed the poo poo-on-Carlos trend? It is getting annoying. Nicholas got his rear end kicked in a french challenge. That is what "he cooks." He was so bad he was asked to resign. For french food, by Jaques Pepin. So small-man-Napoleon-complex goes and espouses verbal diarrhea of "i don't think Carlos has grown" Bravo wants to include that. I find it nauseating. Even if you don't know a thing about cooking and only were a top chef fan, that is exactly what and why Rick Bayless won. Seafood? We have both Oceans. We span more latitude than most of Europe, and yet you still hear "he just cooks Mexican cuisine" how trite.

JD Bucks 7 fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 25, 2014

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Shirley, from what I have seen, deserves to win it, but have you not noticed the poo poo-on-Carlos trend? It is getting annoying. Nicholas got his rear end kicked in a french challenge. That is what "he cooks." He was so bad he was asked to resign. For french food, by Jaques Pepin. So small-man-Napoleon-complex goes and exposes verbal diarrhea of "i don't think Carlos has grown" Bravo wants to include that. I find it nauseating. Even if you don't know a thing about cooking and only were a top chef fan, that is exactly what and why Rick Bayless won. Seafood? We have both Oceans. We span more longitude than most of Europe, and yet you still hear "he just cooks Mexican cuisine" how trite.

It really is gross. Carlos, more than any of the other final four, embraced the last challenge. It showed more growth than anybody else, and all the judges admitted that it was experimental, odd, but very, very delicious. Nick's dish was just the same thing he always does.

TedKoppel
Nov 30, 2002

JD Bucks 7 posted:

Well, i inferred that--like Bravo would love to have the viewers believe--that the two judges already had voted for LCK champion. So, they would all have to "outvote" the two. And, it doesn't really make any sense in any other context. So Emeril likes Carlos dish, how could the other three "outvote" him? You are covering your rear end.

I think you're getting your wires crossed or I'm way worse at explaining myself than I think I am. Here is my opinion in full: I think that the design of the challenge left it open to contestants voting for the dish they thought was worse, and they have a controlling share of the vote. I didn't like that, but thought it was probably irrelevant because I didn't think all three would vote for the dish they thought was weaker or the contestant they thought they could beat. I thought Carlos's dish sounded like it was worse based on the description we got, which is all I have to go on, so I thought Louis would probably win; however, I know that the edits on these things are deliberately misleading at times. I disagreed with you that it was going to be people voting for Carlos's dish because they thought they could beat him, and I disagree that it was clear that the two judges voted for Louis. If Emeril voted for Carlos's dish along with the three contestants, as you say, then I would in no way assume that the other three contestants were voting cynically. I would assume his dish was better than Louis's.

I think that's as good a summary as I'm going to get and I can't imagine this topic is very interesting, so I'll drop it.

But I am interested in what the thoughts are on Carlos, because you came away with a different take than I did. I thought Carlos looked mostly like a very good chef who was unfairly being poo poo on by Nick in particular, but the others generally, for cooking Mexican. We've all complained about this in past seasons. You wouldn't complain that Rick Bayless was cooking Mexican, or that Thomas Keller was cooking French-Californian for that matter. Nobody ever seems to complain about chefs "cooking European", but they often level the complaint that people are "cooking Asian." I thought Carlos came out of that with a number of wins and lost with a clever, creative dish that combined his cooking style with New Orleans ingredients. Nick, I thought, looked like an idiot for all his complaints and the fact that he was basically scraping by in the last four challenges. If Carlos had a restaurant near me, I'd definitely look into it, whereas with Nick, I probably wouldn't bother. So yeah, not a terrible edit. It looked to me like the negatives for Carlos were that he was sometimes disorganized and sloppy. That's not the worst thing. Nick's pretty much the villain at this point, so his complaints didn't make him look bad (to me) any more than, I dunno, Hosea's complaints about Stefan made Stefan look bad in season five.

TedKoppel fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 25, 2014

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
It is not like Carlos is innocent regarding the whole Nick thing, when the judges actually came over and asked Nick whether he was stealing Carlos' oven, Nick was rightfully pissed, the fact that Carlos' back-pedalled furiously didn't make it ok. That is not saying that Nick can't be a dick, but as far as i am concerned they have both been idiots.

JD Bucks 7
Jul 18, 2013
The way I look at it, is that it is a competition. They have never been out to find the "best chef" but create a good TV show. Hell the quickfire had them sprint to ingredients. That is not a skill any chef needs or the way to judge a dish. Carlos and the oven. I look at it like "why in the gently caress are you having people compete over an oven? Give the 10 extra apiece. Who is the best chef?" It was forced drama.

So, did Carlos bump the dial, did he move a pot, etc. I do not know? What I can gather from Bravo is they hate Carlos. And Nick is a whiny bitch. Nina or Shirley (or LCK winner--not Carlos) better take this thing.

To TedKoppel: It is the editing, and Bravo (I don't blame them, gay white males and housewives are their market) hosed over Carlos with the editing. I don't honestly think his peers him in such disdain, but boy have that edited to do so. Perhaps I am overly defensive of Mexican cuisine and the variety it entails and always scoff at the notion someone only cooks Mexican. That would be like accusing someone of only cooking European (French, Spanish, Italian, Scandinavian, etc. all bunched into one.) That is how diverse Mexico is.

I bet even whiny bitch Nick respects Carlos as a chef. But, the editing has been trash. Absolutely knocking him and Mexican and it is tiring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

JD Bucks 7 posted:

The way I look at it, is that it is a competition. They have never been out to find the "best chef" but create a good TV show. Hell the quickfire had them sprint to ingredients. That is not a skill any chef needs or the way to judge a dish. Carlos and the oven. I look at it like "why in the gently caress are you having people compete over an oven? Give the 10 extra apiece. Who is the best chef?" It was forced drama.

So, did Carlos bump the dial, did he move a pot, etc. I do not know? What I can gather from Bravo is they hate Carlos. And Nick is a whiny bitch. Nina or Shirley (or LCK winner--not Carlos) better take this thing.

To TedKoppel: It is the editing, and Bravo (I don't blame them, gay white males and housewives are their market) hosed over Carlos with the editing. I don't honestly think his peers him in such disdain, but boy have that edited to do so. Perhaps I am overly defensive of Mexican cuisine and the variety it entails and always scoff at the notion someone only cooks Mexican. That would be like accusing someone of only cooking European (French, Spanish, Italian, Scandinavian, etc. all bunched into one.) That is how diverse Mexico is.

I bet even whiny bitch Nick respects Carlos as a chef. But, the editing has been trash. Absolutely knocking him and Mexican and it is tiring.

The reality is that Mexican (cuisine wise) in contemporary American culture is in the same category as Italian or Japanese as one style of food. Which Carlos cooked almost exclusively. You feel that it should be different, but the audience of the show doesn't and Carlos not understanding that affects him negatively in an American cooking show.

• Locked thread