Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like to think that this happened because I donated again yesterday. Doesn't seem like a major update, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Chas McGill posted:

I like to think that this happened because I donated again yesterday. Doesn't seem like a major update, though.

But it says "and much more!".

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
I can't believe this guy is still updating. Good job goon

Edit: Well color me purple. I assume all quality effort stems from SA.

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 07:07 on May 16, 2014

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GodspeedSphere posted:

I can't believe this guy is still updating. Good job goon

Pretty sure Watabou isn't a goon, just some random Russian dude with a dream.

e: Also, he's apparently very keen to make a new game, which would be based on an overworld rather than a dungeon. :toot:

precision fucked around with this message at 05:55 on May 16, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Hah, you can't stairdance goo any more. The stairs disappear.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

the littlest prince posted:

Hah, you can't stairdance goo any more. The stairs disappear.

I don't like that change. Stair dancing is a time honored Roguelike tradition. :colbert:

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

vulturesrow posted:

I don't like that change. Stair dancing is a time honored Roguelike tradition. :colbert:

Stand in water on a brown seed while goo is on land is pretty much a guaranteed win as well.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I have had goo kill me there. The earthroot doesn't have unlimited health, so if your weapon is crappy enough he can still win the damage race.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jorath posted:

I have had goo kill me there. The earthroot doesn't have unlimited health, so if your weapon is crappy enough he can still win the damage race.

You have to be really unlucky for that to happen though. Out of the number of times I've had to beat him with nothing more than Earthroot and a Knuckleduster/Dagger, I've won probably 9/10. I'd say those are good odds for a roguelike.

If you have a healing potion or two, the odds are even more stacked in your favor.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Can't pull that trick with the other bosses, though. I've only got to 16 once. Normally die to tengu.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Game's going open source. Can't wait for a pc port!

quote:

Open source

As I promised several months ago, I’m going to open the source code of Pixel Dungeon.

When? I think it will happen in about 3-4 weeks. I will need to fix some bugs of the latest update (and release a corresponding hotfix) and after that it will take about a couple of weeks to clean and tidy the code (but don’t expect to see an example of good code style :)).

How? I have zero experience in maintaining open source projects and I have no idea how it’s usually done. So I’m just going to create a public repository on GitHub without collaborators - anybody will be able to make a pull request to get a copy of the code. Probably some kind of a license will be included there.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Harminoff posted:

Game's going open source. Can't wait for a pc port!

Maybe someone will finally fix the "Welcome to the level 1 of the dungeon" message.

Also, small update to version 1.7.1!

http://pixeldungeon.tumblr.com/post/87097502400/1-7-1-released

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh man, open source will do wonders for this game. Can't wait for the PD equivalent of SLASH'EM featuring 20 classes (not even kidding).

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

precision posted:

Oh man, open source will do wonders for this game. Can't wait for the PD equivalent of SLASH'EM featuring 20 classes (not even kidding).

I just want to see it on iphone.

Unrelated: I just played a game a couple days ago where I had locked doors without keys (tried map scroll) - 2 different floors had that. Maybe that was a bug fixed in the new update?

Also, I haven't found the "new room type" that the google play page made reference to. Anyone?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Civil posted:

I just want to see it on iphone.

Unrelated: I just played a game a couple days ago where I had locked doors without keys (tried map scroll) - 2 different floors had that. Maybe that was a bug fixed in the new update?

Also, I haven't found the "new room type" that the google play page made reference to. Anyone?

You saw the new room type. The key is inside the locked room and there is a way to get to it. But frankly it's unintuitive. And until the most recent update it may have been impossible due to bug(s).

You have to jump down from the chasm in a dead-end room on the next floor up (explained here: http://pixeldungeon.tumblr.com/post/87595627645/missing-keys).

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

Oh look it's another trap room. Let me just activate them one by one with arrows!

:stare:

I didn't know there were mob spawning traps. So far the only trap-filled rooms I had encountered previously were either fire or paralytic traps.
That said, it sure was fun axing them all down, with the Potion of Strength topping it all off! :black101:

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Captain Flame Guy posted:

Oh look it's another trap room. Let me just activate them one by one with arrows!

:stare:

I didn't know there were mob spawning traps. So far the only trap-filled rooms I had encountered previously were either fire or paralytic traps.
That said, it sure was fun axing them all down, with the Potion of Strength topping it all off! :black101:

Holy poo poo. I've never seen a trap room with summoning traps, that's amazing. I'm surprised you lived. Good time for a toxic gas potion, maybe (I never use them so don't know their range very well).

The color of summoning traps did change recently to white, thankfully. Before, both summoning and lightning traps were blue. So they should become easily recognizable.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Oh hey, I'd never ran into this before. Opened an unknown scroll (mapping) on level 5 and there was a hidden room.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Just had a great (bad) death. It was the piranha room and I had two unidentified potions. One would be the invis potion, and the other was ???. It turns out that the other was a poison cloud potion, which paralyzed me and the piranhas ate me up.

This was on level 4 where I had a longsword +2 and leather armor +2. I was kicking rear end and then welp.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
You drank the potion inside of the piranha room?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
At the door.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Civil posted:

Oh hey, I'd never ran into this before. Opened an unknown scroll (mapping) on level 5 and there was a hidden room.

Yeah as far as I know the rat king doesn't do anything yet ut he's there pretty often. The chests pretty much always contain garbage though.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Rise, RISE from the grave, my precious thread!

Big news. Pixel dungeon's source code has been released.

News: http://pixeldungeon.tumblr.com/post/93210548010/open-source

Github: https://github.com/watabou/pixel-dungeon

I'm going to take a look at it tonight, hopefully.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Rise, RISE from the grave, my precious thread!

Big news. Pixel dungeon's source code has been released.

News: http://pixeldungeon.tumblr.com/post/93210548010/open-source

Github: https://github.com/watabou/pixel-dungeon

I'm going to take a look at it tonight, hopefully.

That's cool, but I bailed on the game when they went to non-square levels. It was too much of a pain to find hidden stuff then. Maybe someone can make the same game but with older square levels.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
The very next update made the generation algorithm far less secret-happy. I was bummed, too, for all of, like, three days. Incidental extra rooms not located on the ends of hallways are usually unimportant and figure into the same rogueluck aesthetic as everything else, and missing keys/keyholes/stairs are rare enough that I find it difficult to loathe.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Jerk McJerkface posted:

That's cool, but I bailed on the game when they went to non-square levels. It was too much of a pain to find hidden stuff then. Maybe someone can make the same game but with older square levels.

It wasn't too much more difficult. I've beat it way more frequently since it changed to non-square levels. And after a few playthroughs, you get a feel for where most hidden doors are. (hint: stairs rooms)

The only change I'd like to see is someone doing something with the armor mods to make them useful (like weapons). I just sell those little armor sticks when I find them rather than risking something that will ruin the armor I'm in.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Metabolism and Viscosity mitigate heavy blows and trade them for easily anticipated slow-burn damage; this is an enforcer of consistency and beneficial. Affection and Bounce prevent melee exchanges for both you and your opponent, which is a pretty one-sided deal a lot of the time.

So if you've got a decent ranged option, that's a 40% chance of getting something helpful with every application of a stylus. Those are usually pretty actionable odds at about the time you get to the Dwarf City.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
But, I mean, I agree, Potential and Multiplicity should be something other than a loving death sentence by attrition. There's obviously a lot of room in the theme of "corrupt bargain" but it requires some original thought. I could see:

-"Multiplicity" changed to make illusory copies of both of you, but at no health expense (not 100% thematically appropriate for being an armor effect, though; call it something like "Glyph of Mirrors")
-A glyph that screams like a banshee, damaging your aggressor and producing the effects of an alarm trap/scroll of challenge
-A glyph that causes terror/lullaby but also incurs blindness (would be annoying as gently caress; probably a bad idea)
-A glyph that only triggers when you're hit by a ranged effect and Blinks you directly to whoever shot at you
-A glyph that enrages you like a Gnoll Brute, buffing your melee damage at the expense of your dodge stat
-A glyph that just catches your enemy on fire, straight-up, because that's already a haphazard inconvenience
-A glyph that randomly selects a wand or ranged weapon from your inventory and throws or discharges it in the direction of your enemy
-A glyph that exchanges the damage absorption of your armor for a dodge bonus, a la the Rogue ability

I have it in mind to make a shifter mod to work in a couple of little riffs on what's already there.

I want a second quickslot, because everybody wants a second quickslot

I wanna rework the weapon table to make the mace a normal-speed weapon but give the quarterstaff a delay of two-thirds (one free hit for every two exchanges) so that there's an actual fast-weapon alternative to the knuckledusters which also happens to share its kung-fu aesthetic. Also wanna switch the stats of the glaive/warhammer and battleaxe/longsword, because it seems to me that a big loving barbarian weapons should be the less accurate and more brutal ones at their tiers. I think it would be cool to let people throw the spear like a non-returning boomerang instead of it being a big slow hard-hitter.

I wanna add a potion belt at the expense of the wand holster.

I wanna make the potion of levitation temporarily relieve the speed penalty of wearing heavy armor (not that I think anybody would ever notice).

I wanna work out a way to make wells of awareness pre-identify a potion or scroll of your choosing. Like, let you pick out "Paralytic Gas" or "Psychic Blast" and reveal its color or symbol. As it stands, I think wells of awareness are the least exciting of the three.

Guess I gotta look at all that poo poo to see how much my motivation will actually carry me, though.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jul 29, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

It looks like someone on github started a modloader, but it's gotten basically nowhere in the last two days, so who knows how serious he is about it.

I'd personally just rather improve the base game to start with. And there is plenty. You've listed a lot, but imo these too:

- Relative uselessness/rarity of fear/lullaby/teleport.
- Relative uselessness/rarity of weapon enchants
- Relative uselessness/rarity of glyphs, which has already been mentioned
- Put stairdancing back in. Goo, please.

And a bunch more of course. I'll have to see about getting this thing to build first but I'm seriously considering working on this as a hobby. I wonder if he is still planning on maintaining it or if he'd rather someone else pick up the torch or whatever.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Wow he really doesn't like commenting on his code does he? This is the first time I've really looked at the source code for a game and I have no idea what's going on. It's weird to see how the actions I've performed correspond to actual methods and variables.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

- Relative uselessness/rarity of weapon enchants

I'm wondering how much less sophisticated or rewarding the enchantment system would be if you just got rid of the disenchantment chance from upgrading a weapon. Scrolls of weapon upgrade would still be beneficial for adding and enchantment or re-rolling one.

Someone convince me that ranged weapons aren't a non-feature. They're unsustainable, inaccurate, and all the varieties take up a shitload of space. I would want to make the Huntress feature that adds strength to damage a feature for everybody, and make all her missiles indestructible to make up for it, so that she could keep picking them back up even after hitting someone with them. Maybe add a chance for the Tengu to drop a special ring ("of Magnetism"), like DM-300 does, that makes expendable missiles return to your inventory after they miss, like a boomerang.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 29, 2014

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Eikre posted:

I'm wondering how much less sophisticated or rewarding the enchantment system would be if you just got rid of the disenchantment chance from upgrading a weapon. Scrolls of weapon upgrade would still be beneficial for adding and enchantment or re-rolling one.

Someone convince me that ranged weapons aren't a non-feature. They're unsustainable, inaccurate, and all the varieties take up a shitload of space. I would want to make the Huntress feature that adds strength to damage a feature for everybody, and make all her missiles indestructible to make up for it, so that she could keep picking them back up even after hitting someone with them. Maybe add a chance for the Tengu to drop a special ring ("of Magnetism"), like DM-300 does, that makes expendable missiles return to your inventory after they miss, like a boomerang.

I don't ever use them, except for curare rarely and fire very rarely, but I could see them being helpful at times. I've always just ascribed it to my playstyle. And gently caress all the inventory space they take up.

I'm thinking instead of a second quickslot it would be cool for the quickslot to expand into a menu with all other wands and projectiles. A second tap would just use the quickslot's item, or you could choose something else.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Actually, I use them to trigger trap rooms.

Anyway, I've been looking at the source and trying to add a second quickslot. Due to knowing almost nothing about Android, and the code's fairly complex structure, and me getting distracted and watching internet folks play Don't Starve, it's not going so quickly.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Actually, I use them to trigger trap rooms.

You can use literally anything to do that.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Eikre posted:

You can use literally anything to do that.

Not potions or seeds. They take effect and don't even trigger the trap. Or scrolls, when they're fire traps.

You aren't likely to have a bunch of anything else in the first few levels.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
The point is that if one of the primary functions of range weapons is acting as a substitute for when you don't have a sufficient stockpile of other dirty useless garbage, then yes, they need to be readdressed.

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
Prince, take it easy

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Got the second quickslot working tonight, minus a few bugs here and there, and then realized why it probably didn't exist.

The blue arrow now overlaps the bag.

Did a few other things too. Going to fix this and then probably make it available.

brother-joseph
Jan 1, 2009

:lol:MARINES:lol:

Got the second quickslot working tonight, minus a few bugs here and there, and then realized why it probably didn't exist.

The blue arrow now overlaps the bag.

Did a few other things too. Going to fix this and then probably make it available.

That would be extremely helpful. I'm excited this is going places.

Is moving icons up the left side out of the question? I have no dev skills to contribute but I'd be happy to lend art/design anywhere you need it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

brother-joseph posted:

That would be extremely helpful. I'm excited this is going places.

Is moving icons up the left side out of the question? I have no dev skills to contribute but I'd be happy to lend art/design anywhere you need it.

As a solution to this problem, or as a separate feature?

It's certainly not out of the question, but as of right now I can't imagine many people wanting it. Plus, I'd rather work on gameplay/mechanics/balancing changes next.

• Locked thread