Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

So at our Encounters meetup tonight (where I've been running 13th Age), a family came to try out D&D for the first time.

They spent the entire night making 4e characters by hand. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

Evil Mastermind posted:

So at our Encounters meetup tonight (where I've been running 13th Age), a family came to try out D&D for the first time.

They spent the entire night making 4e characters by hand. :smith:

I've made this sentiment several times, but it's a shame D&D is THE rpg because it's so hard to penetrate.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

I just wish I wasn't the only 13th Age GM or that I didn't have a full table.

All I could think was "dammit, I wish I could just tell everyone there to stop and just run a Dungeon World game for them."

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
Or, you know, hand them a pregen.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

We're kind of off the normal Encounters schedule, so the GM didn't have pregens. His table is continuing the last season on his own.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Zerilan posted:

What are some rpgs aside from Castle Falkenstein that use cards as their system of resolution or as a major part of their game mechanics?

EVERLASTING: THE BOOK OF THE UNLIVING by a former white wolf employee

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Everlasting can use cards, or Tarot cards, or dice, or...if they'd written enough supplements, they would have created an optional resolution mechanic that uses black light bulbs and multicoloured candles.

Edit: Another Dune chapter soon, I promise.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Halloween Jack posted:

Everlasting can use cards, or Tarot cards, or dice, or...if they'd written enough supplements, they would have created an optional resolution mechanic that uses black light bulbs and multicoloured candles.

Was this game the case of "I want my roleplaying game to be generic everything" so it can use anything as a resolution mechanic or was this game the case of "I want to make a novel, but I suck so I'll make a game" so mechanics don't matter?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Dune? You have my full attention.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Speaking of Tarot cards though, I think I also saw someone on here mention once about some sort of setting creation idea that used tarot cards.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zerilan posted:

Speaking of Tarot cards though, I think I also saw someone on here mention once about some sort of setting creation idea that used tarot cards.
I'm working on something like that now (using premade cards to generate a fantasy setting), but I've lost momentum due to the hobby being what it is and being angry again.

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

Mormon Star Wars posted:

EVERLASTING: THE BOOK OF THE UNLIVING by a former white wolf employee

Doesn't this RPG have rules for "Individual Legend Making" or something like that?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DocBubonic posted:

Doesn't this RPG have rules for "Individual Legend Making" or something like that?
Yes.

Also for incorporating lucid dreaming into your campaign.

Another card-driven RPG: TSR's SAGA, which had Dragonlance 5th Age and a Marvel game made using it.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Zerilan posted:

That might've been the actually interesting portion of my January contest. The idea was that each of the Major Arcana were associated with a different faction responsible for the apocalypse - like, the Tower was an evil megacorporation, and so on. You had a broad description for each one, and then a few questions where details would be. They also had details about characters with backgrounds from each faction.

Setting generation meant drawing 4 major arcana threats from a deck of just the majors, then using the rest of the deck as a guide to answering those leading and open questions, so that your version of the setting would (in theory) differ significantly from mine.

It turned out to be a bigger project than one month would allow, and I'm not really satisfied with the actual game mechanics Walker helped out on, but there's something in that setting generation mechanic. I want to revisit it, maybe rework it as a FATE game, at some point.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Alumnus Post also used tarot cards to come up with a character for the Create a Character thread. I believe that's also where Mimir's idea came from.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Covok posted:

Was this game the case of "I want my roleplaying game to be generic everything" so it can use anything as a resolution mechanic or was this game the case of "I want to make a novel, but I suck so I'll make a game" so mechanics don't matter?
With archives being down, I can't go back and review my review, but...both, sort of? The 90s were really lousy with games that were all about roleplaying not rollplaying, but at the same time, the authors wanted their rules to be some end-all, be-all combination of elegant, easy-to-use, universal, less clunky than D&D, and less complex than the prevailing universal systems. (I have a pet theory that ultimately, this was a reaction to D&D and its antiquated rules. Given accusations that WotC is grubbing for cash when they release a new edition every 5 years, it seems few people remember that TSR released a "core" D&D product about every other year from 1977 until 1995, when the last version of AD&D2e came out.)

The Everlasting is guilty of some of the same fiddly detail, particularly when it comes to combat, that shows up in games like Vampire. But as far as the resolution mechanic is concerned, I think that's a special case: it arises from the author being such a hippy-dippy, tutti-frutti moonbat that he wouldn't dare presume to tell you how to roll dice, because actual game design is against the Goddess or something. Seriously, the game refuses to call its rules "rules" because there are no rules in roleplaying, only guidelines.

For skills, you can use either Abilities (Athletics, Influence, Martial Arts, Sciences) or make your game more fiddly by using Skills, which break Abilities down into more specific stats (Athletics becomes Acrobatics, Climb, and 5 other skills.) For a resolution mechanic, you can use dice or cards.

The author seriously expects that you can run a game where one guy is using Abilities and drawing cards, while another is using Skills and rolling dice. To be fair, this works better than if you were trying to run AD&D and D&D 3e characters side-by-side. NPC statblocks assume you're using Abilities. Some special rules assume cards. The absolute worst is that there are experience points and Good Mojo points, and you have different ways to bet and gamble with them every time you roll or every time anyone rolls a contested action. That means that in the RAW, every single combat roll prompts the players to gamble on the outcome and possibly receive Bad Mojo points.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Dune? You have my full attention.
Why aren't you reading FATAL & Friends?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Halloween Jack posted:

Why aren't you reading FATAL & Friends?

Because until a few weeks ago I didn't really read TG at all, so I don't know all the good threads yet.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Nostalgia4ColdWar
May 7, 2007

Good people deserve good things.

Till someone lets the winter in and the dying begins, because Old Dark Places attract Old Dark Things.

Which one of you did Murderhobos?

If you haven't seen it, check it out RPGNow. The cover is loving amazing.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
So you actually are pretty edgy, is that it Ettin?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Haha, really funny *slowy moves fingers to mash the report button*.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Goddamnit, Ettin...

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Product Page posted:

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

liar

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

By the end I was just writing a general thing about a common RPG personality, really. :v:

People have named a lot of different designers it made them think of, mostly indie/amateur. Also Byron Hall.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

quote:

"You are so white bread that when you were born your mom dinged like a toaster."

:neckbeard:

Also, the Death Move is pretty funny.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Tollymain posted:

Also possibly some of the games from my contest.

How's the search for a new judge going?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

50 Foot Ant posted:

Which one of you did Murderhobos?

If you haven't seen it, check it out RPGNow. The cover is loving amazing.

I think what did it for me was the one guy impaling the kobold in the air, while the woman catches the treasure that falls from it.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DigitalRaven posted:

How's the search for a new judge going?

:qq:

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Just get DigitalRaven on it, I have it on authority that he knows a few things about games.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'll do it.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Just get DigitalRaven on it, I have it on authority that he knows a few things about games.

I entered it, so it wouldn't be fair even if I skipped my own.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
My friend was really into Atomic Robo about a year ago. I noticed that they released an Atomic Robo RPG recently. Anyone know if its any good? My friend isn't too into rpgs, but he's played before and it might be a cool gift.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Covok posted:

My friend was really into Atomic Robo about a year ago. I noticed that they released an Atomic Robo RPG recently. Anyone know if its any good? My friend isn't too into rpgs, but he's played before and it might be a cool gift.

It's very good and aimed at new gamers/Fate players. We're talking about it on the last few pages of the Fate thread.

e: The game also uses pages and panels from the comic as system examples.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 24, 2014

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!
This hasn't come up yet? I could just be blind but,

Guys, they are making a movie out of Dark Dungeons, the Chick Tract where the girl kills herself because her elf died.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qc9JiIiOSQ

Article for the story behind it: http://www.wired.com/2014/05/dark-dungeons-movie/

I'm so happy.

I have CLEARLY been playing these games wrong.

Varjon fucked around with this message at 17:10 on May 26, 2014

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Varjon posted:

What, you don't backhand your players when they speak out of character?

Also Winson can you please change the forum's name to Traditional Games: Are You Ready To RPG? thx.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Varjon posted:

This hasn't come up yet? I could just be blind but,

Guys, they are making a movie out of Dark Dungeons, the Chick Tract where the girl kills herself because her elf died.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qc9JiIiOSQ

Article for the story behind it: http://www.wired.com/2014/05/dark-dungeons-movie/

I'm so happy.

Have the been sued for defamation by the guy that wrote the retroclone "Dark Dungeons" yet?

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Holy poo poo. The people that helped make The Gamers are making that?

Im in.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

From all accounts, they play it entirely straight and don't make fun of it or anything.

Which is good, because really, how can you improve on perfection?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
It actually looks pretty bad, guys. Like, half Dark Dungeons, half Mazes and Monsters, all winking desperately at the audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

That's some epic irony from those guys there.

• Locked thread